Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet - Broadband & Phone Service

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Just wanted to post this up to anyone considering getting Magnet to do there ISP - DON'T

Up at worked we switched over to Magnet because of the wonderful deals being offered.. I guess we got what we payed for a crappy service.

We've had phone outages and problems since day one

Today was the nail in the coffin

I was trying to download a big project on our supposed 1-1 connection of 10meg.... When I notice the download time had gone into 48 hour download and was climbing I was flabbergasted. (no this wasn't the usual what goes up generally comes down timer)

I had downloaded it at home in a few hours with my eircom.

Curious of what our true download speed really was I went to the magnet site and tested it, LO AND BEHOLD it told me I had a download speed of 9.5meg... yeah right

Well not content with trusting Magnets website I did a search and tested it on over 20 different internet speed test sites and what did I find.
    Almost all of them registered 1meg or less download speed.

So not only is magnet failing it's contract to us it's also lying on the website speedtest.

Well Done Magnet
    You just lost a customer & I'll be advising everyone I know NOT to use your service.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Did you open a support ticket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What steps have you taken to resolve the issue with Magnet. It's very unfair to come on here and slam them without providing any effort on attempts to fix the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

dudara wrote: »
    What steps have you taken to resolve the issue with Magnet. It's very unfair to come on here and slam them without providing any effort on attempts to fix the issue.

Oh I called my account manager who no longer works there, suprise suprise and finally got thru to tech support after a lengthy wait (I won't hold that against them as all companies call centers are usually the same)

The phone center operator didn't have a clue only wanted to go through the motions of his computers drop down menus, He's just doing as he's trained fair enough but there has to be some room for iniative thinking on their part. I had him open a ticket on the issue and I asked them to have a engineer call me back so I could explain the issue in depth and resolve it.

I ain't the type to slam a company because of a faulty line.
    This has been ongoing since they first installed the system and it's not be one fault it's been many, heck you can't even sync the phone system to the time and date without it breaking. I think I'm very justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Necron99 wrote: »
    Oh I called my account manager who no longer works there, suprise suprise and finally got thru to tech support after a lengthy wait (I won't hold that against them as all companies call centers are usually the same)

The phone center operator didn't have a clue only wanted to go through the motions of his computers drop down menus, He's just doing as he's trained fair enough but there has to be some room for iniative thinking on their part. I had him open a ticket on the issue and I asked them to have a engineer call me back so I could explain the issue in depth and resolve it.

I ain't the type to slam a company because of a faulty line.
    This has been ongoing since they first installed the system and it's not be one fault it's been many, heck you can't even sync the phone system to the time and date without it breaking. I think I'm very justified.

No,

Support Desk should ALWAYS carry out the basic troubleshooting first, jumping the gun and not following procedure and you end up with fantastic support but nobody answering the phone, 10% of your customers think your a support wizard and the other 90% think your the sh*ttiest support organisation on the planet.

You should follow the steps, otherwise the guy your talking to will just get back "Did the customer follow the basic troubleshooting" when he tries to call second level support.

I've had similar problems with Smart Telecom, best way of circumventing the annoying phone support was via their forum.

I find it frustrating myself but understand that you need to go through the motions to get the companies support process to work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No,

Support Desk should ALWAYS carry out the basic troubleshooting first, jumping the gun and not following procedure and you end up with fantastic support but nobody answering the phone, 10% of your customers think your a support wizard and the other 90% think your the sh*ttiest support organisation on the planet.

You should follow the steps, otherwise the guy your talking to will just get back "Did the customer follow the basic troubleshooting" when he tries to call second level support.

I've had similar problems with Smart Telecom, best way of circumventing the annoying phone support was via their forum.

I find it frustrating myself but understand that you need to go through the motions to get the companies support process to work for you.

This, the amount of times people have logged tickets for things that can be fixed by simlpy switching somethnig off and on is staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

To provide some balance, I've had their service over a year and the connection has only ever dropped for two hours.

Otherwise it has been consistently 90-95% of full-speed.

Could it be a fault in the line, a crappy wire, Eircom's problem perhaps?

Try the Magnet forum on their website, they used to be here on boards but moved, and have always been very helpful escalating issues.

Advertisement