Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I had one done a few weeks ago as part of a full health exam, it was no problem.
    Just do your best to relax while its being done, not only will you feel less strained mentally it will also be much easier on your body. If you're really nervous tell the person doing it and they will help you relax.
    Also, do not go with the mentality that it may feel "violating", think of it as taking care of your body and ensuring that everything is running smoothly. The person doing it has done it many times and wont think anything of it, neither should you!
    Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

I used to be horribly nervous of smears too so I mentioned it to my doctor last time I was getting one done. She suggested using a smaller speculum(spelling?). I never even knew that there were different sizes. Anyway it made the experience A LOT more comfortable.

I also took a few drops of Bach herbal essence, which i think really helped. (think that might have been in my head, but either way it helped:)).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I asked my doctor to prescribe me some Lexotan to take just before the test. Worked like a dream.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you've an inverted (back to front) uterus, and don't know it or aren't aware of how it affects a smear it can be horrifically painful.

My first smear I wasn't aware of it, then discovered it during an ultrasound, by the same gynae who will be giving me the IUS and doing my next smear.

We've discussed it, she's made a note of it and I'll be reminding her on the day :)

I often wonder if giving women who plan ahead and want to have a smear, the same drugs you get when having the IUS put in that open the cervix wouldn't help reduce the pain/fear around smears?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ladies thanks a mil for the advice. def a big help. xxx def know it's not the worst thing that ive had to get done. not making too big a deal of it in my head at the min.

will let ye know how i get on. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

all done and dusted. i live to tell the tale. don't go into details of course. what ye said actually is what kept going through my mind through it and found it did help. the doc said of course i had to stay lying down for a min as she thought i might hyper ventilate from the breathing i was doing.

anyhow girls thanks. if i can ever repay the advice sometime don't hesitate to ask. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glad it went well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

How much roughly does the different forms of contraception cost?

And any advice on what's best to use without side effects like weight gain and mood swings. I was interested in the injection or the implant but dont fancy the irregular bleeding side effects.

There is so much information and pills and things out there, im finding it all hard to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Speak to your GP - it will come down to your own body, age, medical history etc etc. What works for one woman may not work for another. Cost will also depend on what medication if any you are put on and if you have a medical card/health insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Think you'll get better advice here, HardLuckWoman.

All the best. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

How much roughly does the different forms of contraception cost?

And any advice on what's best to use without side effects like weight gain and mood swings. I was interested in the injection or the implant but dont fancy the irregular bleeding side effects.

There is so much information and pills and things out there, im finding it all hard to decide.

I'm on the Pill, have been for a few years now. So it's fifty euro to see the doctor every six months, although sometimes I just see the nurse which is twenty five euro. Then the actual pill itself costs between four and six euro each month, depending on which chemist I buy it in. A lot of my friends are on the Pill and mine seems to be cheapest I've heard of.

You can check out the Well Woman Clinic website, they have a price list.
    http://www.wellwomancentre.ie/index.php?p=services :)

Can't really advise you on what's best 'cause I haven't tried anything other than the Pill, but I've never had any mood swings. Have had a little weight gain, I guess, mainly on my boobs though so it's not all that bad really.

Sometimes it's just trial and error with contraception, to find what suits you the best so speak to your GP about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 weeeeeeeezy

I would suggest talking to a GP who knows what they are talking about and who can go through the different options with you and work out what suits best. I was originally using Irish family planning association but did not find them very good. Using a doctor in the Ifsc now that really knows her stuff specializes in sexual health. Every woman is different so what's suits me may totally disagree with you sorry can't be more informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

ztoical wrote: »
    Speak to your GP - it will come down to your own body, age, medical history etc etc. What works for one woman may not work for another. Cost will also depend on what medication if any you are put on and if you have a medical card/health insurance.

What's the first visit like? Do they give you information on stuff, let you off and decide and then come back for a prescription. And charge you twice? I'd like to go in with some information. Right now i am clueless.

Im stuck on deciding what to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 weeeeeeeezy

As other posters have said it depends on your medical history age etc. A good doc will go through all suitable options with you. If the pill is suitable they will prob give you the prescription there and then and then you can think about it and get the prescription filled when you feel ready. PM me if you want details of the doc I use she really put me at ease and gave me lots of time to go through everything not just in and out in 2 mins job could not recommend her highly enough compared to the way some docs have treated me.

I'm on the injection as I'm over 35 and I smoke.

Tbh over the years I've tried the pill and the injection, and I've had no problems with the injection (although some people suffer mild - severe side effects) No periods, go in every 12 weeks and it's €80 per visit including the injection. The only side effect I get is that about 10 days before I'm due another injection I get very very mild cramps for a few days, it's like a reminder that I'm due to head down, but I get a text reminding me anyway :)

That said I go to a gynae who has two different clinics, she's very thorough, sent me off for a bone density scan to make sure there were no issues there, and has discussed all the different options with me, from tubal ligation to the IUS, the pill, the patch, the nuvaring etc, and has no problem with any choice that I make, as long as there are no fundamental issues with it (like taking the pill at my age, given that I smoke)

She's the first doctor/gynae where I've had that sort of experience and I think she is great.

As others have said your best bet really is to find a doctor that you have faith in and can talk through the different options with

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭escape

just wondering if anyone has had similiar experience of coming off the pill.
    Came off Yasmin in June and haven't had period since - obviously pregnancy is not the issue here - my skin has erupted with some seriously angry spots and is quite oily otherwise no other changes - just wondering is it normal for there to be such a delay in periods returning to normal after coming off the pill or could there be something more serious going on, starting to get bit worried at the stage? Any ideas?

escape wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone has had similiar experience of coming off the pill.
    Came off Yasmin in June and haven't had period since - obviously pregnancy is not the issue here - my skin has erupted with some seriously angry spots and is quite oily otherwise no other changes - just wondering is it normal for there to be such a delay in periods returning to normal after coming off the pill or could there be something more serious going on, starting to get bit worried at the stage? Any ideas?

It can take time to get back to normal after coming off the pill, if you have concerns talk to your doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bizzib

Hey!

I was on various pills for 6 years when I started getting a lot of breakthrough bleedin went to gyno who advised me to try injection got it in Nov was going great but am now on day 13 of a horrible period! Anyone have any experience of it?

Doctor just treats me like I am the only person the pill doesn't suit and is less than encouraging about other options (have tried different doctors but same result) am I alone in this or has anyone experienced anything similar? would come off it altogether but am moving in with OH soon so not a good time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Im a fella now but a friend of mine has a bar in her arm...All you do is get a doctor to put it in for you,and youl be set for 3 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Day 13 of a horrible period sounds like you should be going to the doc to see what's wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭awesom_o

I am a broke student and I literally cannot afford the normal GP/well woman fees. I want to get the injection. Do you think that my college doctor offers this service?

I'm sorry, I know this is a silly question.. but I honestly don't know where else to go. My college doctor only charges €10 a visit. Would it be worth a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

awesom_o wrote: »
    I am a broke student and I literally cannot afford the normal GP/well woman fees. I want to get the injection. Do you think that my college doctor offers this service?

I'm sorry, I know this is a silly question.. but I honestly don't know where else to go. My college doctor only charges €10 a visit. Would it be worth a go?

Always worth a go, he/she is still a doctor after all. Also there's a good chance they'd be open to other contraception options since they probably make up a good portion of their appointments. Try asking them sure, at worst you're only down €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wondering if anyone has registered with cervicalcheck.ie recently?

I just went to register (i'm 26 so decided it was about time i bit the bullet and got a smear) went to the check register bit and updated my details, then it checked my eligibility..but it then said i was eligible immediately and to make an appointment with a doctor in the next few weeks...i'm a bit confused, am i not supposed to wait to get sent out a letter? The rest of the site seems to suggest i have to wait until i receive the letter before i can make appointment?

awesom_o wrote: »

You may have to go first to get the prescription, then fill that at the chemist, then go back to the doctor to have the injection administered. Think it costs about €15 in the chemist for the prescription.
    Just wondering if anyone has registered with cervicalcheck.ie recently?

I just went to register (i'm 26 so decided it was about time i bit the bullet and got a smear) went to the check register bit and updated my details, then it checked my eligibility..but it then said i was eligible immediately and to make an appointment with a doctor in the next few weeks...i'm a bit confused, am i not supposed to wait to get sent out a letter? The rest of the site seems to suggest i have to wait until i receive the letter before i can make appointment?

Your doctor can ring up the cervical check people and confirm your eligibility. Mine does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 WeeDoireChick

Hi all,
    not sure here is the right place to post but seemed the best of what I've found.

Basically I have a question and would greatly appreciate any answers you can provide.
    I am 19 and am wondering whether or not I can obtain some form of contraceptives from my gp for free. I'm studying so have a medical card etc so would assume I could get them for free but since I'm originally from NI and the health care system there is obviously different (and better!) I'm not quite sure what the protocol in the south is. Can I get contraceptive pills or an implant for free from my gp?

Cheers in advance for any response.

Hi all,
    not sure here is the right place to post but seemed the best of what I've found.

Basically I have a question and would greatly appreciate any answers you can provide.
    I am 19 and am wondering whether or not I can obtain some form of contraceptives from my gp for free. I'm studying so have a medical card etc so would assume I could get them for free but since I'm originally from NI and the health care system there is obviously different (and better!) I'm not quite sure what the protocol in the south is. Can I get contraceptive pills or an implant for free from my gp?

Cheers in advance for any response.

You can get the prescription for either from your GP as per the link below.
    Dunno how the medical card works for prescriptions, I think you pay a dispensing fee of 50cent per item.

From Citizens Information
    If you have a medical card, you are entitled to free GP services including contraceptive advice and prescriptions for contraceptive drugs and devices. Occasionally, a GP or pharmacist may refuse to provide these services. If this happens, the HSE is obliged to provide you with an alternative service - either through another GP, another pharmacist or a family planning organisation, voluntary or private.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twinkle29

Twinkle29 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the feedback.

Candy, it is my regular Doctor who gave me information on the Mirena when I enquired about the options for coming off the pill. I asked questions about whether it mattered that I had children or not and she said it didn't. But as you have all demonstrated, different people say different things.

I think I will go for it and hope for the best. I will post again and let you know how it goes should anyone else be considering it also.

Just a quick post to let anyone who is interested in this topic know that I got my Mirena coil fitted yesterday. My experience was completely fine. The procedure took ten to fifteen minutes, there were what felt like three sharp pinches followed by severe period-like cramps and that was it. I have had cramps since (around 24 hours) but they are easing off now.

Maybe I am the only one who didn't know this, but you have to purchase the actual coil yourself and you need a prescription for it. Also, if you have a Drugs Payment Scheme card, the coil cost is maximumly €120. Unfortunately I did not know that and paid €225. Also, my doctor prescribed my two pills to 'insert' an hour before the procedure. None of the above was told to me by my doctor - I discovered it all in the chemist!

Overall, from my experience, it was totally fine

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Twinkle29 wrote: »
    Just a quick post to let anyone who is interested in this topic know that I got my Mirena coil fitted yesterday. My experience was completely fine. The procedure took ten to fifteen minutes, there were what felt like three sharp pinches followed by severe period-like cramps and that was it. I have had cramps since (around 24 hours) but they are easing off now.

Maybe I am the only one who didn't know this, but you have to purchase the actual coil yourself and you need a prescription for it. Also, if you have a Drugs Payment Scheme card, the coil cost is maximumly €120. Unfortunately I did not know that and paid €225. Also, my doctor prescribed my two pills to 'insert' an hour before the procedure. None of the above was told to me by my doctor - I discovered it all in the chemist! [/quote}

Ah thank for your reply, funny thing is I'm going back to my GP (female on this time) tomorrow as I can't get my pill anywhere and I'm going to be working flat out for the next 5-6 months. Because I have a medical card I only get a three month prescription at a time...so annoying!

I am going to talk to her again, I don't fancy the alternative: noriday, and since I started back on the pill anyways (cerazette), some days I have been taking it more than once and other days I havn't taken it at all (accidentily obviously).

My dose is two daily (weight issue) so that means some day I would have taken four and not realised it! :eek:

I'm hoping she will suggest the implanon or the mirena coil, in saying that she is quite good and up to date, I will be suggesting it to her anyway.

Great to hear that you have had a positive experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twinkle29

candy19 wrote: »

Ah thank for your reply, funny thing is I'm going back to my GP (female on this time) tomorrow as I can't get my pill anywhere and I'm going to be working flat out for the next 5-6 months. Because I have a medical card I only get a three month prescription at a time...so annoying!

I am going to talk to her again, I don't fancy the alternative: noriday, and since I started back on the pill anyways (cerazette), some days I have been taking it more than once and other days I havn't taken it at all (accidentily obviously).

My dose is two daily (weight issue) so that means some day I would have taken four and not realised it! :eek:

I'm hoping she will suggest the implanon or the mirena coil, in saying that she is quite good and up to date, I will be suggesting it to her anyway.

Great to hear that you have had a positive experience!

Best of luck with your GP. You should definitely suggest the coil to her again. Its not even two days since I've had mine in and the cramping is mostly gone. So it appears to be all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Hey I'd just like to know about the contraceptive patch. I can't take oral contraceptions because of Crohn's Disease (I may not absorb all the hormones) and the patch is the one non-oral contraception I think I'd be fully comfortable with. However I hear it can have some pretty serious side effects due to the high oestrogen levels. I'm just wondering if anyone here has used it and if your experience was good or bad? Also how much is it per month?

Advertisement