Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ails76 wrote: »
    I did jump at it because it was free. I watched my own dad die of cancer. I watched my friend die of cancer. I watched my brother go through and thankfully recover from cancer. I had my own personal reasons for not having it done sooner but with help I've plucked up the courage to get it done. Not the nicest is an understatement. The level of pain I suffered was equalled to keeping my hand on a red hot stove. I have never experienced pain like it ever. As I said, I trapped my finger in a metal door and needed a hole put through the nail to release the pressure. The pain was nowhere near that, it was worse. But no one seems to have had the pain I experienced which was my original question. Is it meant to be that painful? It's seriously put me off going again.

I've had two HSG Xrays, it involves a catheter being inserted through the cervix and a dye injected which causes very bad cramping. They were deeply uncomfortable even with two neurofen on board. The first was bloody sore, but the technician was highly experienced and it was over within I'd say 30 seconds. Even so, I was white as a sheet and needed to sit down for a while afterwards. The second one was done by someone who was clearly learning, and was just as sore, but took an awful lot longer.

Similarly I had two internal exams during labour. One was a midwife with tiny hands, and the second was the doctor who was the biggest bloke I ever saw, with the biggest hands I ever saw too. The first was really sore, and the second one was fine. The difference was that the first medic pushed her way in, the second held my hand with his other hand, and when I tensed, gently reminded me to relax and only moved his hand when my muscles were relaxed - he worked with me, if you know what I mean.

Some medics (not all) who are inexperienced might be a bit touchy about their lack of skills and transfer their embarrassment and irritance onto their poor patient, and maybe that's what happened here. You were nervous and tense, and that was made worse by the person giving you the smear (whether that was inexperience or impatience) which caused it to be painful for you.

If I were you, I'd ask around to find a person who has lots of experience doing them. Then talk to them beforehand about this experience, and they should be able to advise ways (and there are meds and techniques) to hopefully make your next smear a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ails76

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Quite simply, no, it's not meant to be that painful, at all. Some people can find it uncomfortable, some people may suffer *some* pain, but the excruciating agony you describe is absolutely not the norm.

Can I ask, have you suffered from vaginismus or similar in the past? I mean this in the nicest possible way but the fact that you're 40 and only having your first smear and your extreme reaction to it made me wonder.

If you have had such issues then definitely mention it to the nurse next time you try to have it done. And I would definitely recommend going elsewhere the next time. Even if the nurse/doc didn't actually do anything "wrong" the last time, you're going to associate it with your bad experience and be twice as nervous about it. Go somewhere with no negative associations for you.

I had a traumatic incident in my early 20s which is why no one had been down there...I don't even like being down there and why I've left it so late. It's thanks to a therapist that I've let people get close enough now. So I've had a breast check and went l for the smear. It's just a pity it was so painful. I find the dentist painful but the dentist is a walk in the park in comparison.

I did have problems with tampons as a teenager so I don't wear them anymore but I'm not heavy enough for them anyway (my periods only last 3 days and they're not heavy). If it was just a little pain and discomfort I could have stuck it but not the level it was! Unfortunately I went there only knowing what the website said, i was relaxed, even optimistic. But now I know how painful it was I won't be able to relax next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ails76 wrote:
    I had a traumatic incident in my early 20s which is why no one had been down there...I don't even like being down there and why I've left it so late. It's thanks to a therapist that I've let people get close enough now. So I've had a breast check and went l for the smear. It's just a pity it was so painful. I find the dentist painful but the dentist is a walk in the park in comparison.

I would definitely mention this to the tester when you do pluck up the courage to try again. I also think your smear experience is worth discussing with your therapist, s/he may be able to help you deal with a) what happened at the first attempt and b) equip you better for the next time.

Best of luck with it, OP. I can only imaginehow difficult it must have been for you to go in the first place if you have issues even touching yourself down there, and then this happened. However, I do definitely think that what happened was related to your vaginal issues. I hope you get sorted, and, of course, that the result is an all-clear when you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I did have problems with tampons as a teenager so I don't wear them anymore but I'm not heavy enough for them anyway (my periods only last 3 days and they're not heavy). If it was just a little pain and discomfort I could have stuck it but not the level it was! Unfortunately I went there only knowing what the website said, i was relaxed, even optimistic. But now I know how painful it was I won't be able to relax next time.

This explains a lot and you should definitely speak to whoever is doing the smear about this (you dont need to go into any detail, just explain that there is a traumatic history there).

It really is ok once you are relaxed about it but you are subconsciously fighting your own body and that makes it so painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

clairek6 wrote: »
    One in santry dublin for sure anyways

They don't have a dispensary in omni - it's only make up / shampoo etc

• Advertisement

Do you have a regular GP? It might be no harm to make an appointment to discuss the smear test with them. They will have heard it all before so no need to be embarrassed. They can offer solutions.

I have two friends who went through something similar. To give their experiences:

1) spoke to her therapist about it and they did some practice on grounding exercises and relaxation techniques and then she took valium in advance of the smear.

2) (an extreme case - semi symptomatic) her GP referred her on to get sedated for the smear.

I'm not saying that this will happen you, but I'm trying to say that there is help and assistance out there if you speak to someone who can access it for you.

Sorry that you had to go through that, OP. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Milly33 wrote: »
    it kinda seems like kicking a gift horse in the mount...

Totally off-topic, but this is the most hilarious bastardisation of an idiom I've seen in a long time :D

Ails76, as the others have said, it was excruciating because you tensed your vaginal walls so much. You essentially closed up shop out of fear, so nothing could get up there and you were just getting stabbed by the speculum. Smears can be uncomfortable at the best of times, yes, but nowhere near what you described for 99.99% of women. You've gotten loads of good advice on the thread here, and I hope you take it. Speak to your therapist, speak to your GP and come up with a solution. I'm sure there's sedation options available if you really need them. A healthcare provider would rather than you were sedated than that you had undiagnosed cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

haha just spotted mount!! Dear lord the keyboard is just like all wrong, not spelling the words in my head :) ...

Man dealing with a dose of a man at the moment.. One of those people who has a different reason for doing things all the time. Rather than just go right here you go.Its yeah I will do that now, then you ask again and there is another excuse. Why do people do it so annoying..

I can gladly say there are only 4 people in my life who I have meet who I just think are complete muppets and his topping the list today

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks milly33. I will try again, but not anytime soon. I won't go back to that surgery and when I do go to get it done again, they'll only get one go. I won't go through the torture of them trying and trying again and again. I'm envious of anyone who says it grand.

You should also ask if your gp/gynae can do a scan, some people have (for want of a better description) a back to front uterus and a different speculum needs to be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Addle wrote: »
    I just found this Taking Qlaira for the first time
    If you are starting Qlaira after a natural cycle, and you have not used a hormonal contraceptive during the previous month, start on the first day of your period, i.e. on the first day of your menstrual bleeding. If you take Qlaira in this way, you are protected against pregnancy immediately.

http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/qlaira-tablets
    I'm just going to ask my pharmacist.

Hi addle, I just got prescribed this Qlaira pill by my doctor. I've not been on the pill for about 5 years and hadn't heard of this one before. How are you finding it? Did you find out if it's effective straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

My pharmacist said ask my GP and my GP said it was...it better be or else I'm in trouble.
    No issues at all. Haven't completed my first packet yet so i don't know what the withdrawal bleed will be like. My GP said to expect a very short and light flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ails76

Faith wrote: »
    Ails76, as the others have said, it was excruciating because you tensed your vaginal walls so much. You essentially closed up shop out of fear, so nothing could get up there and you were just getting stabbed by the speculum. Smears can be uncomfortable at the best of times, yes, but nowhere near what you described for 99.99% of women. You've gotten loads of good advice on the thread here, and I hope you take it. Speak to your therapist, speak to your GP and come up with a solution. I'm sure there's sedation options available if you really need them. A healthcare provider would rather than you were sedated than that you had undiagnosed cancer.

She got the speculum in (uncomfortable), it's when she was trying to get the sample with the brush that I felt the excruciating pain. The worst of the pain was when it spread to my back passage. I really couldn't do anymore after that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

She got the speculum in (uncomfortable), it's when she was trying to get the sample with the brush that I felt the excruciating pain. The worst of the pain was when it spread to my back passage. I really couldn't do anymore after that.

Definitely get the scan I mentioned earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A friend of mine experienced similar pain and it turned out she had a retroverted uterus and tilted cervix, when they adjusted for this it was much better. Just another possible cause.

Perhaps a silly question. I'm about a week over 3 courses of antibiotics (over two weeks). Usually I only need to look at the package and I get thrush. But a week on I have no symptoms. I took acidophilus religiously. My question is, from others experience, how long until I'm out of the danger zone? Ordinarily I wouldn't care but I have a rather large cycle coming up on Friday and I don't want to be struck before then, so wondering how long it usually takes to be symptomatic. If I'm safe, happy days, but if I'm not I may need to arrange to have a supply of diflucan organised (for some reason OTC treatments just don't work for me!)

I can't really answer your question with any expertise, but I'd think a week would be plenty of time for symptoms tp appear, if they're going to. Can I ask the specifics of the acidophilus you took? Did you keep it in the fridge or not? I'm cursed with chronic recurrent thrush and I've been meaning to incorporate an acidophilus supplement.

I can't really answer your question with any expertise, but I'd think a week would be plenty of time for symptoms tp appear, if they're going to. Can I ask the specifics of the acidophilus you took? Did you keep it in the fridge or not? I'm cursed with chronic recurrent thrush and I've been meaning to incorporate an acidophilus supplement.

It's the sona strawberry flavoured one that you can chew or suck. Took 2 tablets 4 times a day on a full stomach (or a glass of milk to increase stomach ph). Also, took an afterbiotic course to help the gut microbiota.

When I get persistent thrush I usually get the low dose diflucan (50mg) for a month and that clears it right up. But I'm very prone to it so I try to take many measures.

Once when I had it I couldn't see the doctor to get a script but the nurse was free so they sent me in to her. She recommended natural yoghurt, but not to eat!!! To smear on, as she said. I've no idea if it worked because I was afraid to mix up my yoghurts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I've done the natural yogurt in the past and it does work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

sullivlo wrote: »
    It's the sona strawberry flavoured one that you can chew or suck. Took 2 tablets 4 times a day on a full stomach (or a glass of milk to increase stomach ph). Also, took an afterbiotic course to help the gut microbiota.

When I get persistent thrush I usually get the low dose diflucan (50mg) for a month and that clears it right up. But I'm very prone to it so I try to take many measures.

Once when I had it I couldn't see the doctor to get a script but the nurse was free so they sent me in to her. She recommended natural yoghurt, but not to eat!!! To smear on, as she said. I've no idea if it worked because I was afraid to mix up my yoghurts :pac:

I haven't had to use yoghurt topically but I have heard that it works!
    (I'm lucky, the o.t.c. suppositories work fine for me so far.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I've taken tablets called super8s when I get an antibiotic n so far they've worked miracles in preventing a bout of thrush.
    They are expensive. A months worth about 30e. In saying that, TOTALLY worth it if you're thrush free.

sullivlo wrote: »

One a day or how often?

Diflucan (150mg) is available OTC here, but it's expensive ($20 per tablet). Because of that it's hard to get doctors to prescribe it! I've been taking one tablet every month for about 9 months now, and I think I'm finally cleared. I'd much rather a smaller dose on a more regular basis if it comes back.

Pessaries work occasionally for me, and the creams help with external symptoms but not internal. I'm afraid of developing a resistance to Diflucan! I tried yoghurt once in desperation and it was about as useful as the creams are.

One a day or how often?

Diflucan (150mg) is available OTC here, but it's expensive ($20 per tablet). Because of that it's hard to get doctors to prescribe it! I've been taking one tablet every month for about 9 months now, and I think I'm finally cleared. I'd much rather a smaller dose on a more regular basis if it comes back.

Pessaries work occasionally for me, and the creams help with external symptoms but not internal. I'm afraid of developing a resistance to Diflucan! I tried yoghurt once in desperation and it was about as useful as the creams are.

Once a day for the 50mg tablets. I know the 150mg is available OTC in the UK. I used to stock up. But not here. I've taken it for up to a month when absolutely nothing else worked.

I don't know whether yeast can mutate to evade the diflucan. I have never thought about it!

Is there such a thing as topical/internal probiotics for thrush? I know they are having some success in treating IBS with fecal transplants (yuck!) but I wonder if there is a probiotic type pessary thing that one could use?

Apparently Diflucan is very hard on your liver so I'm reluctant to take it too often without talking to a doctor. And recently I've been having a really weird side effect from it - it triggers a cold sore!

Thrush is such a curse of a thing :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Apparently Diflucan is very hard on your liver so I'm reluctant to take it too often without talking to a doctor. And recently I've been having a really weird side effect from it - it triggers a cold sore!

Thrush is such a curse of a thing :mad:.

Germolene is the best thing I've ever found for cold sores. Just rub a generous amount into where you feel the cold sore coming out. Much better than Zovirax and it means I've only had a cold sore once in the past year (I'd run out of Germolene that time!). It's probably the chlorhexidine in it that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I hope this is the correct section:
    Not been on any form of contraceptive at all (I am gay and my periods don't tend to be too bad for now).
    Is there any "risks" to just not bother with all that craic?
    I have noticed in the past few months I am getting severe cramps (almost vomiting from pain) for the first 2 days of the period but I assume thats me just getting more "real" periods as I am only 20. If my pain gets too bad then I will for sure try out anything that will help.
    But if not, is there much point on going on it?
    Thanks
    Not asking for medical advise just general opinions, if this break any rules sure just delete it.

failinis wrote: »
    I hope this is the correct section:
    Not been on any form of contraceptive at all (I am gay and my periods don't tend to be too bad for now).
    Is there any "risks" to just not bother with all that craic?
    I have noticed in the past few months I am getting severe cramps (almost vomiting from pain) for the first 2 days of the period but I assume thats me just getting more "real" periods as I am only 20. If my pain gets too bad then I will for sure try out anything that will help.
    But if not, is there much point on going on it?
    Thanks
    Not asking for medical advise just general opinions, if this break any rules sure just delete it.
    If I were you, I'd have a chat with my GP because you shouldn't be in such pain normally.
    Personally, if I didn't have to be on contraception, I wouldn't bother. But take on board other people's views, and in particular that of your medical professional! :)

If I were you, I'd have a chat with my GP because you shouldn't be in such pain normally.
    Personally, if I didn't have to be on contraception, I wouldn't bother. But take on board other people's views, and in particular that of your medical professional! :)

Yeah, I am home from Uni at the moment so when I return I will talk to my GP.
    My family have a history of clots on both sides and I have bad circulation due to a medical condition (if I went down the types of pills route) so always been kinda put off by it all.

I mentioned to my old GP here - like I never felt like vomiting/fainting from pain before only recently. They brushed it off and said "that what periods are like" and I got angry saying I noticed a change in my body but nope.
    My mother had adhesions that wrapped around her bowel and messed with her ovaries and all that. Kinda worried its starting in me.

Of course, I know its something more for me and my doctor to discuss relating to my health - but ignoring my health side, if its normal enough to not go on any contraception that sounds pretty grand to me.

failinis wrote: »
    Yeah, I am home from Uni at the moment so when I return I will talk to my GP.
    My family have a history of clots on both sides and I have bad circulation due to a medical condition (if I went down the types of pills route) so always been kinda put off by it all.

I mentioned to my old GP here - like I never felt like vomiting/fainting from pain before only recently. They brushed it off and said "that what periods are like" and I got angry saying I noticed a change in my body but nope.
    My mother had adhesions that wrapped around her bowel and messed with her ovaries and all that. Kinda worried its starting in me.

Of course, I know its something more for me and my doctor to discuss relating to my health - but ignoring my health side, if its normal enough to not go on any contraception that sounds pretty grand to me.
    I'd get another GP's opinion then so, I don't think I've ever had such painful periods (except nausea and dizziness when I was a teenager and they were heavier).

• Advertisement

I'd get another GP's opinion then so, I don't think I've ever had such painful periods (except nausea and dizziness when I was a teenager and they were heavier).

I presumed it was normal to get more cramps/pain as you matured a bit into your early twenties, a few friends of mine were in more pain than me (off school for days). I was pretty much painless for first few years, then just sore back and just some cramping for first few days - the almost vomiting is pretty damn bad to be honest. You literally want to curl up and die. Horrible.
    But yeah regardless its a change I have noticed in myself so its "note worthy" for a GP.

Advertisement