Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Doesn't sound nice Failinis! I would defo look at a different GP. Some GP's can be just so blasse and lazy, which if there is a history they should be offering you ever kinda test to put your mind at ease. It is a shame in Ireland Gynies aren't more common or less expensive...

I've seen all side of the pains with periods, a friend of mine would be knocked out with pains the first few days, myself had nothing for years when I first got then, then maybe mid twenties it changed to back pains and that, and then haha the im going to kill everyone mood came later... They really are such a pain, went on evening primrose for a while and I do think it worked to keep the mood swings in key..

Actually coming off the pill now after being on it for years... I think it was good to regulate periods and that is why I first went on it, and also then later in for contraception.. I just felt that after being on it for so long the body needs a break... Scared thinking of actually get a real period after so long (as yes this was something I was not aware of that it wasn't a proper period) and hate the thought of keeping track of them.

It really is up to you why you would go on it.. It was defiantly better to keep periods on track and you could plan around your period, sounds sad I know but still these things need to be done sometimes.. And if they maybe help with the pain it might be an option to look into, but make sure and get informed from you GP first, perhaps a new GP...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Hi addle, I just got prescribed this Qlaira pill by my doctor. I've not been on the pill for about 5 years and hadn't heard of this one before. How are you finding it? Did you find out if it's effective straight away?

Day 28 and sudden and heavy withdrawal bleed, so I'd say it will only last the day.
    My boobs are quite tender, like I've never had before.
    It's worked anyways. So relieved to have a bleed! ☺️
    Going back to GP after 3 months to see how I'm getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

@Milly33

Seen a different GP (in the same practice) and she did believe me about the pain and said even looking at my mothers history she is referring me to a Gyno. (I am at Uni in England but she said not to worry that the appointment will only come through in a few months, likely summer holidays anyway) so thats put me at ease a bit.

She prescribed me Cerazette (sp?) as a pill for me, so I will start that soon and hopefully it helps.
    But is it not better to see the gyno when not on a pill like that which masks symptoms?
    I have never been to one before (which is making me nervous enough as it is) so I don't even know what I need to do or expect. I was attacked a few years ago and have not been able to let anyone in a relationship go near me sexually, and I hope I can let a dr go near me medically with out bursting into tears and running out.

I found blood in my bra, and no cut on my skin, so thats why I went to see her today.
    She said my breast was lumpy but the fact I am a tiny 32A means that she can feel the milk duct things as well (?) so she can't tell what is milk glands vs bad bumps.
    She referred me to breast clinic waiting list and said it will only be a few days, but I leave Ireland on early hours of Saturday so she said to see the GP in England the week I am back and get it sorted over there instead.
    I am scared a bit, its likely nothing, or a benign lump but I know I just have to get it sorted. Just have a lot on my plate at the moment and don't want to leave my bed.

Hello failin, well done to you for going to someone new. It isn't easy but get easier once a change has begun... Blood in your bra sounds odd but try not to worry about anything.... She sounds like she is making steps for you to get all addressed so just think poisitive now and plan to get all the issues dealt with....

best of luck with it all, remember to be thinking to much about what could be wrong wait until you have results and all that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

failinis wrote: »
    @Milly33

Seen a different GP (in the same practice) and she did believe me about the pain and said even looking at my mothers history she is referring me to a Gyno. (I am at Uni in England but she said not to worry that the appointment will only come through in a few months, likely summer holidays anyway) so thats put me at ease a bit.

She prescribed me Cerazette (sp?) as a pill for me, so I will start that soon and hopefully it helps.
    But is it not better to see the gyno when not on a pill like that which masks symptoms?
    I have never been to one before (which is making me nervous enough as it is) so I don't even know what I need to do or expect. I was attacked a few years ago and have not been able to let anyone in a relationship go near me sexually, and I hope I can let a dr go near me medically with out bursting into tears and running out.

I found blood in my bra, and no cut on my skin, so thats why I went to see her today.
    She said my breast was lumpy but the fact I am a tiny 32A means that she can feel the milk duct things as well (?) so she can't tell what is milk glands vs bad bumps.
    She referred me to breast clinic waiting list and said it will only be a few days, but I leave Ireland on early hours of Saturday so she said to see the GP in England the week I am back and get it sorted over there instead.
    I am scared a bit, its likely nothing, or a benign lump but I know I just have to get it sorted. Just have a lot on my plate at the moment and don't want to leave my bed.

It's great that you're seeing someone who is being proactive in getting you treated.

Is there any chance you could delay going back to the UK for a few days to follow up here? Just if you have found a doc you're comfortable with that can make all the difference.

And as Millie said - try not to worry. Easier said than done I know, but just try to keep yourself occupied until you hear more news.

• Advertisement

I definitely found that cramps and flow were getting more arduous the older I got.
    I thought it was my biological clock at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hello failin, well done to you for going to someone new. It isn't easy but get easier once a change has begun... Blood in your bra sounds odd but try not to worry about anything.... She sounds like she is making steps for you to get all addressed so just think poisitive now and plan to get all the issues dealt with....

best of luck with it all, remember to be thinking to much about what could be wrong wait until you have results and all that goes.

Yeah, all precautionary - just need to get the check ups and deal with whatever out come is. I know too many people my age who had lumps and bumps which were just cysts and such and they got it removed and thats them fine for now. Those friends are actually the ones keeping me calm about it which is good of them.
    Friend was joking I was groping myself in my sleep to cause it haha

sullivlo wrote: »
    It's great that you're seeing someone who is being proactive in getting you treated.

Is there any chance you could delay going back to the UK for a few days to follow up here? Just if you have found a doc you're comfortable with that can make all the difference.

And as Millie said - try not to worry. Easier said than done I know, but just try to keep yourself occupied until you hear more news.

I already had my flight changed and I need to be back on Monday to hand work in so I just have to get it followed up over there.
    I will though, be very insistent it is followed up correctly and soon.
    I stupidly asked if it could be delayed till I come back and she was very firmly no - I see why now.

Yeah, I have other very serious medical concerns (non-female related) which scare me more than a sore period so its all in low perspective to be honest.
    Keeping busy enough with class work to be fair, what easter "break" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Hi ladies, a quick (and probably very obvious) question for anyone with the Implanon implant - did you have to have a consultation with your GP/nurse before having it inserted? I'm very interested in getting it but would find it a bit hard to get the time off work for two separate appointments. I'm not on any form of hormonal birth control atm either so I'm guessing that I would most likely have to have a consultation first?

Thanks a million for any advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

ShazGV wrote: »
    Hi ladies, a quick (and probably very obvious) question for anyone with the Implanon implant - did you have to have a consultation with your GP/nurse before having it inserted? I'm very interested in getting it but would find it a bit hard to get the time off work for two separate appointments. I'm not on any form of hormonal birth control atm either so I'm guessing that I would most likely have to have a consultation first?

Yep, at the consultation you'll be given the prescription for the device itself. You then collect that and bring with you on day of insertion. Well that's how it was done when I got it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Perhaps ring your practice to confirm, but I reckon two appointments will need to be made. First to assess whether you're a suitable candidate for it, and second for the insertion. I assume that as its hormonal that it needs to be inserted at a certain time of the month. Your practice could probably advise you if that is the case, and maybe they could schedule two appointments in the same time frame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Thank you both! I thought that might be the case but it helps to get a second opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm not on any form of hormonal birth control atm either

Have you been on hormonal contraception in the past? I always think the Implanon is a bit gung-ho for a first-time hormonal method, I think something that can be stopped straightaway is a better bet for a first-timer.

Just my opinion, though.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Have you been on hormonal contraception in the past? I always think the Implanon is a bit gung-ho for a first-time hormonal method, I think something that can be stopped straightaway is a better bet for a first-timer.

Just my opinion, though.

That was my gps opinion too.
    Thought best body get used to artificial hormones via pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Ladies would any of ye know if those sites you see to buy your pill from are legitimate/safe? I'm back living in Dublin now and don't have a gp yet, and I don't think my gp back home opens on weekends. On my last packet, I thought I'd another few months left!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ladies would any of ye know if those sites you see to buy your pill from are legitimate/safe? I'm back living in Dublin now and don't have a gp yet, and I don't think my gp back home opens on weekends. On my last packet, I thought I'd another few months left!

I get mine from Lloyd's online pharmacy, never had a problem with it. With your first prescription you get a little card to fill out confirming your BMI and that you've had your blood pressure taken, and you post that back. If you don't send it back you won't be eligible for a second prescription. I went into Boots where they took my BP for free, and I used the machine for around €2 to accurately get my height/weight/BMI. The pharmacist signed the card and I was on my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ladies would any of ye know if those sites you see to buy your pill from are legitimate/safe?

You don't buy the Pill itself from them, just the prescription, and yes, they're completely legit. I've used Lloyds and Websdoctor.ie loads of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You don't buy the Pill itself from them, just the prescription, and yes, they're completely legit. I've used Lloyds and Websdoctor.ie loads of times.

Oh I see. Good stuff, thank you :)

Plus one for Llyods have gotten my prescripton there for the last two years and found them great.Just have to be responsible and get your blood pressure taken every time you need to ask for a new prescription and thats it.. much cheaper than going to the doc every few months

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Had a mirena inserted last Thursday, feeling weepy and down ever since. Initially attributed it to a heavy weekend but I should have snapped out of it by now if that were the case. Work is not good at the moment either but it has been so for a while now and it wasn't affecting me like this before.

I know it's only been a week but I'm just wondering if anyone else felt like this after a mirena insertion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Grumpy00

Wondering if anyone has tried out this diaphragm? Any feedback on same? Is it all it's cracked up to be according to it's bumpf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

What is it? I have a regular diaphragm. Was hard enough to get it and GP was reluctant to prescribe but it worked fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

MOD Hi Grumpy00, I've merged your thread with the LadyGardening thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Grumpy00 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has tried out this diaphragm? Any feedback on same? Is it all it's cracked up to be according to it's bumpf?

I've no experience with it or other diaphragms but the perfect use failure rate seems awfully high at 13.7%. It's actually slightly higher than the typical use failure rate for other diaphragms, which is 12%.

MOD Hi Grumpy00, I've merged your thread with the LadyGardening thread.

Thank you Ivy. Bit of a newbie in these parts!

fits wrote: »
    What is it? I have a regular diaphragm. Was hard enough to get it and GP was reluctant to prescribe but it worked fine for me.

New enough to the market and apparently one size fits all (or nearly all). When I had to make the switch to the mini-pill a few years ago I ran the idea of the diaphragm past GP but she was dismissive. On a general visit and while picking up a repeat prescription yesterday she mentioned this new diaphragm. It was me who dismissed it this time until I got home yesterday evening, did a Google search on it and reminded myself as to why I had initially been interested in using one a few years ago. It ticks the boxes for me in terms of it's advantages and I can accept it's % failure rate. I think my issue/query lies with ease of insertion and removal. I tried those moon cups at one stage and they were a remarkable failure for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Just wondering whether anyone with the copper coil has noticed that their cycle has lengthened considerably a few months after insertion? I generally have a normal four week cycle but I was waiting 6 weeks for my most recent period (and I'm never usually late, never mind 2 weeks). I feel fine generally, no pain or anything, but it was a little worrying. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Was it the first period after insertion? I don't know much about the copper coil, but if it was your first period that was delayed, maybe it was just your body getting used to a foreign object?

I've had the Mirena for nearly 8 months now, and I'm still getting occasional bouts of spotting and cramping. It's very light, but it's irritating me that it's still happening. Anyone else have spotting that continued for quite a while with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Faith wrote: »
    Was it the first period after insertion? I don't know much about the copper coil, but if it was your first period that was delayed, maybe it was just your body getting used to a foreign object?

No, I've had it in since last September. Initially I had a period every three weeks but that settled back into my usual cycle for a couple of months. It just seems strange that my periods would end up even further apart rather than closer together, as does seem to be the case for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I recently went on Yaz and im wondering if anyone has experiance with it? I suffer from really bad anxiety and depression, I take panic attacks daily and reading all the reviews about how Yaz caused people mood swings I was afraid to take it but it's seemed to have cured my anxiety and depression... from day one shortly after taking my first pill I went from feeling anxious and down to totally calm and 'normal' ...its been 3 days now and i've been anxiety and depression free. Has anyone else had this effect? and is it true it causes breasts to grow? Id love to go up a size a more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭mojesius

I think like any medication, it affects people differently. I definitely had bigger boobs when I was on it. Came off it 4 years ago as I was approaching 12 years on it. Funny you say about the effect it had on your anxiety as I've suffered with bad anxiety the last 4 years since coming off it.. I attributed most of that to various things, but could be more than a coincidence that my anxiety peaked around then.

Advertisement