Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I was recently on Celeste but I was experiencing cyclic migraine and sometimes migraine with aura and really bad nausea to the point where I resented taking it. A friend of mine is on Celeste now and she's thinks it's grand though.

My doctor changed me to Microlite a while ago and thankfully I haven't had migraine or nausea since.

I've never been on Yaz before OP but it sounds like so far so good so I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

mojesius wrote: »
    I think like any medication, it affects people differently. I definitely had bigger boobs when I was on it. Came off it 4 years ago as I was approaching 12 years on it. Funny you say about the effect it had on your anxiety as I've suffered with bad anxiety the last 4 years since coming off it.. I attributed most of that to various things, but could be more than a coincidence that my anxiety peaked around then.

Yeah it's worth looking into, I attributed my anxiety and depression to other things to, been to doctors, counselors and been on anxiety meds...nothing worked. So now im thinking it was a hormone thing that Yaz has regulated? I hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi Airyfairy,

I've merged your thread with an already existing thread that deals with similar topics. You may find your answer and more here.

Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I really need to start reading the labels Yaz can give you bigger boobs!!! That was the pill I was on for years and well my boobs aren't too small.... Pain in the arse more...

First month off the pill now in years and have to say it wasn't bad, was expecting a horrible period this time but nope quick and easy.. No mood swings, nothing even himself said I wasn't as angry as normal... Angry in joking terms normally im moody and just don't want to talk to anyone... Liking it though looking forward to the break

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Just wondering whether anyone with the copper coil has noticed that their cycle has lengthened considerably a few months after insertion? I generally have a normal four week cycle but I was waiting 6 weeks for my most recent period (and I'm never usually late, never mind 2 weeks). I feel fine generally, no pain or anything, but it was a little worrying. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am seriously considering getting the copper coil, any advice would be appreciated!

I've been on logynon for the last two years & although I haven't had any major issues with it, other than a some weight gain (that could also be a lot to being in a relationship) & feeling hormonal/down/cray around the usual times, I would like the relief of not having to remember to take a pill daily. I like the idea of the coil being non hormonal. My periods are usually pretty light & I would only have mild pain the odd time, nothing a paracetamol doesn't sort. From what I have been reading, I reckon the copper coil would suit me. The only thing that is holding me back it the thought of having heavy periods with unbearable pain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I am seriously considering getting the copper coil, any advice would be appreciated!

I've been on logynon for the last two years & although I haven't had any major issues with it, other than a some weight gain (that could also be a lot to being in a relationship) & feeling hormonal/down/cray around the usual times, I would like the relief of not having to remember to take a pill daily. I like the idea of the coil being non hormonal. My periods are usually pretty light & I would only have mild pain the odd time, nothing a paracetamol doesn't sort. From what I have been reading, I reckon the copper coil would suit me. The only thing that is holding me back it the thought of having heavy periods with unbearable pain!

Well I definitely really like having the coil. I'm in an LTR and it just made sense as I neither want hormones nor babies (right now). I'm losing weight at the moment and it's definitely easier now I'm not on the pill. As for my periods (when they do come!), they're not really any more painful or heavy tbh. A little bit perhaps, but not enough for me to regret the coil at all. Overall it's nice not to have to worry about my contraception - once it's in, that's three years of peace of mind right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Well I definitely really like having the coil. I'm in an LTR and it just made sense as I neither want hormones nor babies (right now). I'm losing weight at the moment and it's definitely easier now I'm not on the pill. As for my periods (when they do come!), they're not really any more painful or heavy tbh. A little bit perhaps, but not enough for me to regret the coil at all. Overall it's nice not to have to worry about my contraception - once it's in, that's three years of peace of mind right there.

I'm the same, babies & hormones are a big no for me! I reckon I will go for it, if some some reason it doesn't suit I can always get it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Tempted to enquire a bit more about the coil next time I'm in getting my prescription renewed (I've been on Evra contraceptive patch for the last 10+ years).
    Is it difficult or uncomfortable getting it inserted? And same for being removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Tempted to enquire a bit more about the coil next time I'm in getting my prescription renewed (I've been on Evra contraceptive patch for the last 10+ years).
    Is it difficult or uncomfortable getting it inserted? And same for being removed?

I can't speak for removal yet, but getting it inserted wasn't terrible for me. Yes, it was painful but the pain doesn't last longer than a minute or two - think short, intense period cramps. You can take painkillers in advance and afterwards, but honestly I was walking home twenty minutes later. The cramps that night were uncomfortable but I just settled myself into bed with the laptop, chocolate and a hot water bottle and I was fine. The next morning the cramps were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Just wondering if any ladies here use feminine wash at all? I've never used soap or shower gel at all down there, but in the past while I've been getting bouts of itching for seemingly no reason. I've had bv and i've had thrush and it's neither of these, so just thought it might be something that something like a wash would help with. I am very reluctant to use anything, but my boyfriend thinks it'd be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Just wondering if any ladies here use feminine wash at all? I've never used soap or shower gel at all down there, but in the past while I've been getting bouts of itching for seemingly no reason. I've had bv and i've had thrush and it's neither of these, so just thought it might be something that something like a wash would help with. I am very reluctant to use anything, but my boyfriend thinks it'd be a good idea.
    I can't remember the exact context of the expression "never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear". But there should be a similar one for vaginal cleaning.

The pH and microflora of your vagina are designed so that the vagina is self cleaning. Nothing more than water needs to be used.

If you've symptoms, maybe best get them checked by a doctor / STI clinic, rather than just trying to wash them away.

Also, I'd give a partner a slap the upside of the head if they were the ones to suggest I wash my ladyparts. They're meant to have a certain odour. Yet again another marketing ploy to make women think their bodies are yucky.

I realise that about the bacteria, hence the reluctance to use anything, but just he suggested it (not about washing or smell, so I don't keep getting driven crazy by the itching) so thought I might consider it. No need for an sti clinic, but might consider the gp in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Sometimes you can get itchy if you're at the early stages or have a very mild case of thrush. It might be good to use some thrush cream and see if it solves the issue.

Though a GP visit is always a better idea than taking advice off some random person. :o

Yeah forgot to mention that I have been using the thrush cream and it hasn't been doing anything. Reluctant to go to the doctor as he'll likely tell me to use the cream. Will just monitor it over the next while

I've always wondered if you can develop a resistance to canesten cream in the same way that you can develop a resistance to antibiotics - would using it "just in case" of thrush would reduce its effectiveness further down the line.

Must ask someone who'd know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I realise that about the bacteria, hence the reluctance to use anything, but just he suggested it (not about washing or smell, so I don't keep getting driven crazy by the itching) so thought I might consider it. No need for an sti clinic, but might consider the gp in a while.

Have you changed your laundry detergent recently? Some people can react badly to biological detergents. My ex would be driven demented by itchy feet and balls (sorry for the overshare!) if I inadvertently bought bio instead of non-bio washing powder/liquid.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Have you changed your laundry detergent recently? Some people can react badly to biological detergents. My ex would be driven demented by itchy feet and balls (sorry for the overshare!) if I inadvertently bought bio instead of non-bio washing powder/liquid.

Hmmm interesting point. Years ago using bio I remember I'd be generally a little itchy all over. I had been thinking it seems to be much more since we got to Australia, where we've been using the cheapest detergent. Worth trying a different one, thanks :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

sullivlo wrote: »
    I've always wondered if you can develop a resistance to canesten cream in the same way that you can develop a resistance to antibiotics - would using it "just in case" of thrush would reduce its effectiveness further down the line.

Must ask someone who'd know.

I wonder the same about Diflucan (did we have this discussion on another thread?). You'd have to assume it's possible.

In any case, vaginal itching is not normal. You should definitely speak to your GP about it, Tipperary Fairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Hmmm.

Definitely a trend in an increase of fungus that is resistant to the active ingredient in diflucan. Also a trend in the resistance to the active ingredient in the canesten cream and pessaries. Perhaps that should be mentioned when they buy them. Mad to think that they're available OTC when there is an increase in resistance.

Also mad that almost 10% of candidiasis is resistant to diflucan, yet it's available OTC in so many places.

I know it gets to nanny state levels, but there really does need to be an overhaul of the healthcare system in order to reduce these issues! We had a news station in filming in the lab today after the report on antibiotic resistance.

Scary world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Faith wrote: »
    I've had the Mirena for nearly 8 months now, and I'm still getting occasional bouts of spotting and cramping. It's very light, but it's irritating me that it's still happening. Anyone else have spotting that continued for quite a while with it?

Had it last June and more frequent but less heavy cycles for 8 months .
    Since then monthly either spotting or 1-2day light bleeding.

Seems not everyone gets the 5 yr period free life that most get.

I hate the unpredictability of the way it is now ,at least before I could plan around periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Addle wrote: »
    Day 28 and sudden and heavy withdrawal bleed, so I'd say it will only last the day.
    My boobs are quite tender, like I've never had before.
    It's worked anyways. So relieved to have a bleed! ☺️
    Going back to GP after 3 months to see how I'm getting on.

Hi Addle, How are you getting on with Qlaira?

I'm in the middle of my second pack. No period after first pack but started bleeding last week and still heavy 5 days later. I've been very emotional and a nightmare to the bf. Boobs have been extremely sensitive for a few weeks also and I've been having aches in my right ovary that seems to come in waves. Back pain has also been acting up badly. This may not be related. Also woke this morning covered in sweat. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow so not looking for advice. Just curious as to others experience. Safe to say I stopped taking the pill today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I'm considering coming off the pill, just for a little while as I'm on a 28 pill. I've been on a pill solidly for 7 years and haven't had a period in 2, has anyone else tried this? I might try the coil but I've heard mixed things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Help!!!

Had a bit of a shaving disaster :o red bumps galore :o anything I can get / do to help it?

Oh maybe some soother cream on it perhaps. don't know any quick fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Help!!!

Had a bit of a shaving disaster :o red bumps galore :o anything I can get / do to help it?

Is it red bunps from ingrown hairs or is it irritated from the shaving?

Sounds like close shave one.. Thinking of this now have any of ye ladies ever used baby oil to shave your legs. Heard of that one recently and was like ohh I must try.. Only bother is you have to do it separate to the shower or well I would now.. Was skitting the other day shaving my legs in a cubicle shower jes I nearly blew the door out trying to manage it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Tasden wrote: »
    Is it red bunps from ingrown hairs or is it irritated from the shaving?

Irritated from the shaving! I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Any of you using this for a few months that could give me some opinions on it RE side effects?
    I was on Dianette and while I found it fine to use with absolutely no side effects (negative, anyway), I find it very difficult with my daily schedule to remember to take it. We have two little (planned) girls and want to wait a few years, so I don't want to risk an unplanned pregnancy from forgetfulness! :o
    I'm currently on the Evra patch, and am unhappy with the two side effects I have suffered with since I started - far more frequent headaches and a catastrophically severe drop in mood. The headaches I could deal with in exchange for the otherwise spectacular patch, but the moods are seriously affecting everyday life with my partner and kids.
    Do many people find Nuvaring to have similar side effects? I'm looking for something that requires less regular change/administration but the injection doesn't agree with me, and I don't want to try the implant or coil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Any of you using this for a few months that could give me some opinions on it RE side effects?
    I was on Dianette and while I found it fine to use with absolutely no side effects (negative, anyway), I find it very difficult with my daily schedule to remember to take it. We have two little (planned) girls and want to wait a few years, so I don't want to risk an unplanned pregnancy from forgetfulness! :o
    I'm currently on the Evra patch, and am unhappy with the two side effects I have suffered with since I started - far more frequent headaches and a catastrophically severe drop in mood. The headaches I could deal with in exchange for the otherwise spectacular patch, but the moods are seriously affecting everyday life with my partner and kids.
    Do many people find Nuvaring to have similar side effects? I'm looking for something that requires less regular change/administration but the injection doesn't agree with me, and I don't want to try the implant or coil.

I haven't used it myself. I know a friend who did use it for a good while but came off it because the mood swings were way too much for her. But that's only one (anecdotal!) example.

Advertisement