Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

DM addict wrote: »
    I haven't used it myself. I know a friend who did use it for a good while but came off it because the mood swings were way too much for her. But that's only one (anecdotal!) example.

To quote my then husband "that thing turns you into the B*tch troll from hell, please go back on the pill"!

In the ring's favour, it's as simple as removing it yourself if it doesn't agree with you, unlike some other contraceptive options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Probably best I revisit the pill and hope for the best, in that case. I did think it would probably have the same effect! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi Shashabear!

I've merged your thread with the lady gardening thread.

Mars Bar

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Mod

Hi Shashabear!

I've merged your thread with the lady gardening thread.

Mars Bar

Whoops! Didn't realise there was a thread for that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've been using it since last August, no side effects that I can notice. I'm not moodier, my periods are shorter. It's so easy to pop in and out.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    I've been using it since last August, no side effects that I can notice. I'm not moodier, my periods are shorter. It's so easy to pop in and out.

On that note, if you don't mind me asking - what's the process for getting it out? I'm not squeamish by any account, but I just can't fathom how I could get my finger up as far as it could go :P

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    On that note, if you don't mind me asking - what's the process for getting it out? I'm not squeamish by any account, but I just can't fathom how I could get my finger up as far as it could go :P

It doesn't actually go up that far (or maybe I just have a short vagina?) you just insert your finger and hook it on the ring and pull it out, it's really that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Another vote for the nuvaring here.
    I've been using it 4 years and I love it. The mood swings have gone period lasts a day.
    The only problem was the first month I found it irritating, but now I never look back

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

GuessWhoEh wrote: »
    I've started to take the pill. Took the first one yesterday. I was wondering how long I would have to take it before it becomes effective and I can have sex without a condom? I've been told so many different stories. To wait at least 3 months, then wait 7 days and some told me straight away.

If someone could just give me a straight answer, that would be awesome!

Read the information in the packaging, it will be explained there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

Just read the leaflet there. Not much information about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Ask your pharmacist.

That's... Curious. It's usually one of the very first things mentioned. Which pill is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I've started to take the pill. Took the first one yesterday. I was wondering how long I would have to take it before it becomes effective and I can have sex without a condom? I've been told so many different stories. To wait at least 3 months, then wait 7 days and some told me straight away.

Mod

Have merged your thread in our mega thread.

And a friendly reminder that medical advice is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Can't give medical advice, so suggest ask local chemist (or GP next time you are in).

Even if you are the pill, it won't stop you getting STD's.
    Many STDs have no symptoms in certain stages and can be passed on by accident. So going condomless might not be well advised anyway, unless both of you have had a recent STI/STD test to show you are clean, if so then just check with a medical professional about the pill side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

The leaflet should definitely tell you how long it takes for its effect to kick in. I doubt it's actually allowed to not have that information on the leaflet!

The advised time can vary depending on the pill and even on the brand (some are more conservative than others. I've noticed Microgynon, Ovranette and Levest all give different times even though they are identical pills).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Can you get fertility testing done when you're on hormonal contraception?

Faith wrote: »

You can, but it might give inaccurate results. Depending on which hormonal contraception, some work by preventing ovulation.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It can be expensive to do all the tests so depending on the hormonal contraception it might be a waste of time for some results. You'd be able to get the HSG scan, STI testing, Sperm Analysis, maybe the AMH test (but results might be skewed) but the day three baseline bloods and day 21 bloods might be affected by your pill.

It's worth noting that standard fertility testing has its limits. About 20% of couples who end up having difficulty conceiving have passed all those tests and are diagnosed as unexplained. I think if either of you have other health issues that are known to affect fertility then its worth exploring before starting to try for a baby, but if not then maybe not - especially if you have to pay for the tests.

Mirena in since beginning of May. Insertion was unpleasant and uncomfortable but I wouldn't go so far as to say painful.

I've had two periods since, yes they've been lighter but I wouldn't say less painful. A different kind of pain, difficult to describe. Before, it was a persistent dull ache. Now it's that combined with sharper cramps. Also I've found that these two periods have lasted longer than previously.

My skin has not been doing well since the mirena went in. Big, painful cystic spots beside my mouth/on my chin. One of them in particular cleared up a month ago but there's still a significant purple scar left behind. I've also suddenly noticed a number of tiny skin tags on my neck in the last week too and my understanding is that these can be caused by changes in progesterone levels (among other things, I know).

Mood hasn't been too hectic lately either. I've put it down to other stuff going on but I'm definitely not myself lately.

Anybody else felt like this with mirena? Will it pass? I haven't been back to my GP since it's gone in but I'm wondering B whether I should just stick it out and let it settle or request referral to a gynaecologist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

sullivlo wrote: »
    You can, but it might give inaccurate results. Depending on which hormonal contraception, some work by preventing ovulation.
    Neyite wrote: »
    It can be expensive to do all the tests so depending on the hormonal contraception it might be a waste of time for some results. You'd be able to get the HSG scan, STI testing, Sperm Analysis, maybe the AMH test (but results might be skewed) but the day three baseline bloods and day 21 bloods might be affected by your pill.

It's worth noting that standard fertility testing has its limits. About 20% of couples who end up having difficulty conceiving have passed all those tests and are diagnosed as unexplained. I think if either of you have other health issues that are known to affect fertility then its worth exploring before starting to try for a baby, but if not then maybe not - especially if you have to pay for the tests.

Thanks folks! I don't even want kids, but I saw someone yesterday, a couple of years older than me, say she got her fertility levels checked and she had the fertility of a 40 year old woman. It just got me thinking that I'd be interested in knowing what my level is like, but I was thinking it would be much more straightforward! Just shows how much I know :o
    Mirena in since beginning of May. Insertion was unpleasant and uncomfortable but I wouldn't go so far as to say painful.

I've had two periods since, yes they've been lighter but I wouldn't say less painful. A different kind of pain, difficult to describe. Before, it was a persistent dull ache. Now it's that combined with sharper cramps. Also I've found that these two periods have lasted longer than previously.

My skin has not been doing well since the mirena went in. Big, painful cystic spots beside my mouth/on my chin. One of them in particular cleared up a month ago but there's still a significant purple scar left behind. I've also suddenly noticed a number of tiny skin tags on my neck in the last week too and my understanding is that these can be caused by changes in progesterone levels (among other things, I know).

Mood hasn't been too hectic lately either. I've put it down to other stuff going on but I'm definitely not myself lately.

Anybody else felt like this with mirena? Will it pass? I haven't been back to my GP since it's gone in but I'm wondering B whether I should just stick it out and let it settle or request referral to a gynaecologist.

My first period on the Mirena was heavier and longer than previous periods on the combined pill. I've had it for 9 months now and I still get light spotting roughly once a month, but I'm really hoping that will stop soon. I definitely have more cramping now too. I haven't experienced any other symptoms though.

I'd recommend giving it 6 months to let your body settle down and get used to the Mirena, if you can. Were you on hormonal contraception before it? If you've given it a good chance, and it still doesn't suit you, then talk to your doctor about options.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks folks! I don't even want kids, but I saw someone yesterday, a couple of years older than me, say she got her fertility levels checked and she had the fertility of a 40 year old woman. It just got me thinking that I'd be interested in knowing what my level is like, but I was thinking it would be much more straightforward! Just shows how much I know :o.

This is probably the AMH test then by the sounds of it which tests ovarian reserve. It cant test egg quality though so a person might seem to have loads of of eggs indicated by the AMH, but they could be poor quality or defective. Then someone with a low AMH for her age might have excellent quality eggs and have no problems conceiving. My first AMH test was when I was 36 and it was in line with my age. The last one at age 40 it was 16. So again, in line with my age. It cost 100 euro and its a blood test. :)

My first period on the Mirena was heavier and longer than previous periods on the combined pill. I've had it for 9 months now and I still get light spotting roughly once a month, but I'm really hoping that will stop soon. I definitely have more cramping now too. I haven't experienced any other symptoms though.

I'd recommend giving it 6 months to let your body settle down and get used to the Mirena, if you can. Were you on hormonal contraception before it? If you've given it a good chance, and it still doesn't suit you, then talk to your doctor about options.

Yeah I reckoned I'll have to give it 6 months at least, I'm just really impatient :o

I have tried plenty of other hormonal options over the last few years.

Started with Dianette: ended up pretty depressed on it after 5 years. Went on Ovranette on and off for about 6 years, found it mostly okay. Never felt truly down when I'd be on it but when I'd come off it I'd be euphoric for a month then generally more upbeat in myself.

Was put on progesterone-only pill in December as I'm overweight and old: nightmare. Bled for a month, same horrible skin problems and mood plummeted.

I'll wait it out but I'm just finding the whole thing really frustrating.

Getting Implanon in next Tuesday after a tough few weeks. Has anyone any experience or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Best of Luck with it January.. I don't have any first hand experience but heard from two friends it was easy. Is this the one in your arm?

Im 3 months of the pill now, first month fine not a tottle, second one not too bad just late, this one is like DOOM. The aches and pains the first day was a killer, tummy was blown up for at least a week if not more, and the moods.. Jesus wept I could do a rosary now or something.. The things we ladies go through so unfair at times :)

I'm having a time where I hate being female.

I am having the most irregular bleeding. It's most frustrating. I'm getting random spotting, then a day of period, then back to spotting, then flooding (over half filled mooncup in under an hour), then spotting, back to period, then finishing with more spotting. The entire process can last up to three weeks. It's also a moveable feast as to when it starts. No regularity. Which made making a smear test appointment a joy!! GP hesitant to give me hormoney tablets (we tried primolut & cerazette which did nothing) so she gave me some med to reduce bleeding but it doesn't really stop anything.

Can't figure out why it's being so annoying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm having a time where I hate being female.

I am having the most irregular bleeding. It's most frustrating. I'm getting random spotting, then a day of period, then back to spotting, then flooding (over half filled mooncup in under an hour), then spotting, back to period, then finishing with more spotting. The entire process can last up to three weeks. It's also a moveable feast as to when it starts. No regularity. Which made making a smear test appointment a joy!! GP hesitant to give me hormoney tablets (we tried primolut & cerazette which did nothing) so she gave me some med to reduce bleeding but it doesn't really stop anything.

Can't figure out why it's being so annoying!!!

Damn, that is incredibly frustrating. I wish I had some advice :-( I will just hope that it gets better for you.

Going for a gyno appointment this evening.
    Had an MRI (for unrelated things) - and who ever reviewed it noticed I had a cyst on my ovary.
    This actually explains a lot of symptoms I have had recently (previous GPs brushed anything I said off).

I know loads of women have cysts on their ovaries or in breasts and harmless but my mother had horrific problems, adhesions, polyps and cysts all over her reproductive tract and ended up needing a hysterectomy.
    Today she said she needed to tell me something, that my grand mother had a lot of cysts and similar problems, and one of the cysts burst and nearly killed granny years ago. My aunts apparently have had problems.
    So seems like its a problem in my family line?

I can't have internal exams, I am still not over an event in my past, so I am extremely nervous for this appointment.

failinis wrote: »
    Going for a gyno appointment this evening.
    Had an MRI (for unrelated things) - and who ever reviewed it noticed I had a cyst on my ovary.
    This actually explains a lot of symptoms I have had recently (previous GPs brushed anything I said off).

I know loads of women have cysts on their ovaries or in breasts and harmless but my mother had horrific problems, adhesions, polyps and cysts all over her reproductive tract and ended up needing a hysterectomy.
    Today she said she needed to tell me something, that my grand mother had a lot of cysts and similar problems, and one of the cysts burst and nearly killed granny years ago. My aunts apparently have had problems.
    So seems like its a problem in my family line?

I can't have internal exams, I am still not over an event in my past, so I am extremely nervous for this appointment.

To quote myself -

I feel a lot more reassured? He said the cyst is 3cm in size, and its only a full concern if it hits 5cm and above. However he recognised the pain this has been causing but going on family history thinks I have endometriosis.
    However I have a lot of stuff going on right now, and he said after 2-3 cycles to get another ultrasound to check my ovary and of it has grown in size then they will have to think/talk more on what to do.
    In terms of endometriosis, he said if I have been able to manage myself now and its not totally killing me, then he is happy to let me go on for a bit until I am ready to consider, is it called laxnospy? When they go look for endometriosis anyway, but I see that being next summer holidays or even after I graduate in 2years and should be in Ireland for a solid year.
    Very nice doctor, you know? Bed side manner, seemed to explain everything and gave me his email just in case etc.
    I do feel 90% less concerned than I did previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Not sure where to post this. Had my AMH levels tested a while ago and got a phonecall yesterday to say that my levels are below average for my age (32). She just said I was coming in at 5 when it should be 15, but reading up on it now, I don't know what units she was talking about? In the chart they gave me, it says women 30-34 should be 6.8pmol/L, median is 19.7? Really panicking now as I was putting off even thinking about it to 35, but she said I wouldn't be wise to push it anywhere near 40! Does anyone know what these units mean?

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this. Had my AMH levels tested a while ago and got a phonecall yesterday to say that my levels are below average for my age (32). She just said I was coming in at 5 when it should be 15, but reading up on it now, I don't know what units she was talking about? In the chart they gave me, it says women 30-34 should be 6.8pmol/L, median is 19.7? Really panicking now as I was putting off even thinking about it to 35, but she said I wouldn't be wise to push it anywhere near 40! Does anyone know what these units mean?

Not exactly sure about it but at 40, my score was 16. That was a year and a half ago, and that was about average for my age. Could you book an appointment with a fertility clinic or specialist? They could talk you though the stats and your options, which might include doing a stim cycle and freezing your eggs for later use for example. If you want to post over in the Trying to Conceive Long Termers thread for more information there are some very knowledgeable women who've researched those tests and options with low AMH more than me.

Advertisement