Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There are some kinds of pill that aren't that expensive - a few years back when I was briefly on Ovranette I remember it being around €5 a packet.

Quite a few doctors will simply write your repeat prescription for a lower charge than that of a full consultation too. My GP when I lived in Dublin charged €55 for the consultation but only €10 6 months later for your repeat.

When I was on a more expensive pill it was generally better value for me to pick up 6 months at once from Boots - the local pharmacy near work charged full price for each pack so they wanted €78 but it ended up being around €52 in Boots for the same supply.

It's one area that Ireland really needs to catch up with the UK on - cost of contraceptives should never be a barrier to their use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GingangGooley

I went on the pill in late April. I was really worried about the side effects as I have always been sensitive to medication. I was delighted to not notice any side effects....until now! Mid-September!

The past few weeks I have had very sore breasts, have broken out in coldsores (unusual for me) and am feeling lethargic and very very irritable and neurotic.

Is it possible for these side-effects of the pill to rear their ugly head months after starting to use the pill? or are they just coincidental - maybe I'm just run down? I don't want to blame the pill if something else is the cause, but right now the pill looks like the main culprit. Has anyone else experienced the side effects of the pill in such a delayed way?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi GingangGooley

The Ladies Lounge has a thread that covers everything related to women's health issues so I've moved your thread there.

Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

As a ruleout, pee on a stick. Unlikely but not impossible.

When I was on Yasminelle years ago it was fine for the first 6 months but then started giving me anger issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Is this the right forum to ask about menopause related issues. It seems to be for younger ladies. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod

Hey madmaggie. Feel free to post away on this thread, but there is a separate thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057424156

Like I said, feel free to ask anything here, but you may get better responses in the menopause thread :)

And we're not all young :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

Did anyone get acne after they stopped taking the pill? I really dont want to go back on it. Anyone any miracle cures? Been to doctor, nothing working, so going to see a derma, but in the meanwhile, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

mel123 wrote: »
    Did anyone get acne after they stopped taking the pill? I really dont want to go back on it. Anyone any miracle cures? Been to doctor, nothing working, so going to see a derma, but in the meanwhile, any suggestions?
    Try taking vit a and zinc, make sure it's actual vit a, not a derivitative so no point going to Holland and Barratt for the likes of this

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KaTEA

Hi, I want to start a contraceptive as I have become more sexually active in college now, and I went to my GP and she gave me a prescription for 'The Bar' cos she saw as more effective and it would suit me more (as I would defiantly forget to take the pill everyday at the same time). But I haven't actually bought he kit yet!
    I just wanted see what people who have had experience on here, with The Bar.
    Do you stop having your period all together, or is it less often?
    Is it expensive to buy the kit?
    What are the other side effects??

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

KaTEA wrote: »
    Hi, I want to start a contraceptive as I have become more sexually active in college now, and I went to my GP and she gave me a prescription for 'The Bar' cos she saw as more effective and it would suit me more (as I would defiantly forget to take the pill everyday at the same time). But I haven't actually bought he kit yet!
    I just wanted see what people who have had experience on here, with The Bar.
    Do you stop having your period all together, or is it less often?
    Is it expensive to buy the kit?
    What are the other side effects??

Thanks!!

Depends on the individual. And the brand of bar/implant. I've had two brands and they both gave different side effects. Then you have to factor in that the first one involved an adjustment period so could be applicable with any brand.
    It's expensive enough but student rates may apply so can't help you there. You pay for the device itself and the insertion.
    I had 7 months of pretty much non stop bleeding and weight gain and then two years period free before getting irregular spotting towards the end.
    Second bar (different brand) had one year period free then periods every two months. Got bad acne with it too.

Apart from those issues it's great though! You do need to stick with it though! My GP warned me that the first 6 months people usually want it out and she'd rather wait it out because if you get through that it settles down, and she was right Tbf. So much so I got it put in again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

My GP at the time recommended trying the injection first as the side effects are similar to the bar but it's cheaper and doesn't last as long. Maybe that's worth considering? With any change of contraception there will be a settling in period. I didn't go with the bar in the end, I was too afraid of it rejecting and tbh my GPs attitude to it put me off. I went for the coil instead.

I was told the exact opposite! Try another form of contraception before you try the injection - if there are any nasty side effects with the bar, the coil, the pill, the patch - they can be removed. It's really hard to remove it from your blood :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I was told that no two methods are the same when it comes to side effects so trying one to get an idea of how another will affect you is pointless, even if it's the same type of hormone, but that the most difficult to reverse is the injection as once it's done you have to wait for it to end as opposed to stopping it or taking it out. I've heard the implant takes the longest time to adjust to but once you stick it out its the easiest and I'd have to agree personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

KaTEA wrote:
    Hi, I want to start a contraceptive as I have become more sexually active in college now, and I went to my GP and she gave me a prescription for 'The Bar' cos she saw as more effective and it would suit me more (as I would defiantly forget to take the pill everyday at the same time). But I haven't actually bought he kit yet! I just wanted see what people who have had experience on here, with The Bar. Do you stop having your period all together, or is it less often? Is it expensive to buy the kit? What are the other side effects??

Just to point out that you'll also need to use condoms in addition to whatever hormonal contraception you choose, obvs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

sullivlo wrote: »
    I was told the exact opposite! Try another form of contraception before you try the injection - if there are any nasty side effects with the bar, the coil, the pill, the patch - they can be removed. It's really hard to remove it from your blood :pac:

Tis mad how you can't get the same answer to the same question from two different doctors when it comes to contraception!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

Hi,

Looking for advice. I booked in to get my Implanon Inserted on Thursday. (Next week)
    As far as I'm aware you need to be on your period to get it inserted - however my period decided to show early today!

Can I still go in on Thursday and get it inserted? (providing I abstain)
    Thanks.

Mod

AlabamaWorley I've moved your post to our existing thread on womens health. You'll get better responses here.

I know there is a separate menopause thread, but it's not very active. My question is what was other ladies experience of menopause. Easy, prolonged, frustrating? For me, I thought "was that it, it that what all the fuss is about".

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Sin1981

Hi all, I've always gotten tender breasts on the lead up to my periods, so roughly 5-7days before and a day or so into the period . However this past couple of years, maybe 2-3 years, the tenderness starts around ovulation and does not not stop until the period is a couple of days in. So I'm pretty much sore for 15days of the month.
    Also, I used to get some tingling during pms days, now the tingling can be after period has stopped. Again this change seems to be in the last few years. I'm wondering if Menstrual patterns, symptoms etc change a little as you get older. I'm 34 now.
    Has anybody else noticed any changes like these??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Funny you should post this cause I have the same problem and this month it's been particularly bad. The days before my period my breasts can feel bruised, its really uncomfortable. It was never an.issue when I was younger but it's been like this for a few years now. I'm 39.

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »
    I know there is a separate menopause thread, but it's not very active. My question is what was other ladies experience of menopause. Easy, prolonged, frustrating? For me, I thought "was that it, it that what all the fuss is about".

Not me but my Mam is going through it at the moment and it has absolutely floored her. I've never seen her so lacking in energy.

Sin1981 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've always gotten tender breasts on the lead up to my periods, so roughly 5-7days before and a day or so into the period . However this past couple of years, maybe 2-3 years, the tenderness starts around ovulation and does not not stop until the period is a couple of days in. So I'm pretty much sore for 15days of the month.
    Also, I used to get some tingling during pms days, now the tingling can be after period has stopped. Again this change seems to be in the last few years. I'm wondering if Menstrual patterns, symptoms etc change a little as you get older. I'm 34 now.

Mod

Hi Sin,

I've moved your thread to a pre-existing thread.

Mars Bar

Sin1981 wrote: »

Not necessarily those specific changes, but changes nonetheless. It's quite frustrating because I thought I had the whole period thing under control and knew the signs and symptoms.

But the system stopped working the past while and nothing can be predicted.

Example. Got period today. Thought the month had flown. Nah, a week early. Had tender boobs the past few days but figured it was bruising or something.

@Mars Bar, your poor Mam. I'm not a medic, but perhaps she should get bloods checked. I went on a good calcium supplement, with Vitamin D and magnesium. We all react differently. I've had a very easy time of it, a relief after years of endometriosis. I hope she gets some good advice from gp or dietician.

Yeah she took a trip to her doctor coz she had a dizzy spell last week and has had brain surgery before so no messing about with it. She had her bloods taken during the week but she's 99% sure it's to do with the menopause.

@Mars Bar, hopefully gp or consultant can sort out HRT for her, if they think it will help. I've been lucky, my consultant put it down to my boring non smoking, non drinking, healthy eating lifestyle. There's a great book called The Wisdom of the Menopause. It's about 30, but it covers an awful lot, before, during and after. I still refer to it. I hope she gets on the right treatment. Good luck to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

havent popped by in ages... Just saw your question mel123, I dont have acne but I have noticed that the spots are made since coming of the pill. Think i am about 4 months off it now, could be longer (haha hence why I dont take it) but I got lots of spots along my jawline, oil spots too like the middle of my forehead and chin. I was putting it down to face brushing as i took it up again but thinking now maybe tis more hormones or just trying to change back to more natural products too... I found the good old faithfulls are winners, tea tree (use some in diluted rose water for a toner) toothpaste on the buggers of spots, and aloe vera gel really helps to heal the spots....

See the other post about the injection, while i get it is easier than remembering to take the pill, i find it a bit much too that the doctor would suggest this first off. It does have side effects after coming of it, differant for a lot of people but for myself I remember the feeling after coming off it, stomach was bloated non stop like i was pregnant I was convinced i was, periods took a long time to regulate and also reading it can add to issues when trying to concieve..I would reasearch before going on it

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I came off the pill (cilest) 5 months ago and I am so upset at how my body has reacted. I have put up maybe 20lbs and cannot shift it despite a month now of serious diet changes and efforts. My skin and hair is so oily and I am getting acne on my face and back and Chest. I don't know where to begin!

To make matters worse I am getting married in 6 months and I don't know what to do. I am tempted to go back on the pill now to see if it helps even though I swore I wouldn't but I'm becoming desperate. We had wanted to start ttc in 8 months so I don't want to be on the pill but I also don't want to be 30lbs over wight on my wedding day :(

Anyone had any similar issues and any light at the end of the tunnel? I've tried taking evening primrose oil. Also just ordered agnus castus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I've been on and off various things because I have endometriosis. The first 6 months are rough and I feel for you Closifer. As you're getting married though and you were doing so well on Cilest I'd almost be tempted to get back on it, at 5 months out you're still this upset about it and you don't want this to take over your wedding day.

I'm going the opposite direction now. I had a massive outbreak of acne over the summer that I couldn't curtail with topical treatments at all or even oral antibiotics from the dermatologist so I switched my endo treatment to Yasmin. Within a month all the painful jawline acne was clearing. I'm still dealing with the lesser stuff but heading in the right direction.

Anytime I come off the pill I get bad spots about 2-3 months afterwards. They never just went away or stabilised over time for me.

If you want to stay off it maybe you could go to your gp and discuss topical treatment like benzoyl peroxide or a topical retinoid (a stronger version of OTC retinol). If it's bad enough, maybe oral antibiotics. With 6 months to go you could likely treat it this way.

• Advertisement

Mod
    Closifier
    I've merged your thread with the existing women's health thread.

Just a gentle reminder to all posters that we can't allow medical advice, only personal experiences.

Advertisement