Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

This thread title always make me laugh. When visiting my gynae he asked what I work at, I said gardener. "So, you're a lady gardener", now I knew what he meant, he knew that I knew, but I feigned innocence. How I didn't burst into giggles I'll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Hey ladies

I'm here to ask about contraception, other than the pill.

I was on the pill for years and have been off of it for about 14 months now.
    I had terrible trouble with it for the last 2 years prior to stopping; very bad mood swings and bouts of depression which have mostly gone away since I've been 'natural'.

However - I am desperate not to get pregnant and think I'd feel better being on some form of contraception so I'm not relying on just condoms.

Are all forms of contraception such as the coil, implant used in a way that release hormones into your body or are there any types out there that are 'hormone free' as such?

All advise and recommendations welcome - I'm not looking for medical advice, this will all be discussed in full with my GP - however a rough idea of what options are out there with some knowledge of others ladies experiences would be beneficial in maybe helping me decide.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lynyg18

Hi, I am writing as I recover from keyhole surgery to remove the migrated Mirena coil which was in my abdomen! I am wondering if anyone else experienced the same? I am so angry as the problems this has caused me also wondering what to expect now it's out? I have started cramping bad now but what else should I expect?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

There is a coil which is non-hormonal, the copper coil I believe. I am considering this myself so I will second your request for experiences with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod
    Hi lynyg18,

I've merged your thread with our ladygardening thread. You'll get better responses there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lynyg18 wrote: »
    Hi, I am writing as I recover from keyhole surgery to remove the migrated Mirena coil which was in my abdomen! I am wondering if anyone else experienced the same? I am so angry as the problems this has caused me also wondering what to expect now it's out? I have started cramping bad now but what else should I expect?

Thanks

It's a known issue which can happen. Did your doctor not give you any information about what to expect now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Stheno wrote: »
    It's a known issue which can happen. Did your doctor not give you any information about what to expect now?

You're the second person I've heard of it happening to, it's pretty rare though I believe? The other girl was a cousin of mine and she was in awful pain from the start, was it the same for you? Want to keep an eye out for warning signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

There is a coil which is non-hormonal, the copper coil I believe. I am considering this myself so I will second your request for experiences with it :)

Interesting, I've never heard of a copper coil before so I'm doing some googling now.

Thanks Gunslinger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I've no kids and got the Mirena (hormonal) coil at a well woman clinic. I subsequently got a smear done over a year later at a different (regular) clinic and when I mentioned that it was there, the nurse who was my own age commented that she didnt know they gave coils to women who hadn't had kids! Grrr.

So maybe go somewere like a well woman clinic where they do this stuff day in, day out. I've found the Mirena great as the hormones are released locally into the uterus, and I'd had major hassle with pill side effects prior to that. I was obv reluctant to experience hormonal side effects but haven't noticed any after 3+ years. I totally understand your reluctance though, I hope you find something that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭alphatango

lynyg18 wrote: »

Thanks

I had the same problem, had it removed surgically a year ago. I too was very angry about it. I recovered well though, take it easy for a few days. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Unfortunately all female contraceptives seem to have side effects, hormonal or not. The copper coil can cause heavier, more painful periods. I have the mirena and the side effects are minimal (at least compared to a few pills I was on) but I do still get cramping, and over a year in, I have occasional spotting (and one freak incident a couple of months ago where I woke up to find I'd had a full-blown period during the night :o).

Regarding the mirena moving, doctors should have recommended that you check the strings once a month or so to make sure it's still in place. Did that not happen for those that it moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I recently had a copper coil inserted in Cork. I had it done under general anesthetic (I have a condition that required that, but it is usually done without it or with local).
    I have had it for three months and found it great! My periods are a little longer but not much heavier (I have three heavy days now) when I compare it to the heavier periods I had as a teen. I was prescribed Cyklokapron as a teen for my heavy periods and have used it on my first coil period, but have not really needed it since.
    First month was crampy and I now have a day or two of heartburn during my period (I'm guessing it is the coil because it has happened over the last three coil periods and never before, even outside my period). But being honest, I have found it quite manageable and am very pleased with my coil.

I am 24 with no children and it was no problem to get one. I just had my GP refer me to CUH and give me a prescription for the coil- you need to bring it to the hospital with you.
    The copper is not covered by the medical card at the moment, but mine was only 50 euro and will last me ten years. The other women in the waiting room were getting the 5 year Mirena coil and they said it cost 150 for their one. I was the youngest by far in the waiting room, but I know that it is not uncommon for younger women to use the coil in other countries so it was not an issue.
    I decided to go for it as I wanted a long-term contraceptive that was non-hormonal- I do not want children and have a family history of poor reactions to hormonal contraception.
    I hope that helps anyone considering one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hi ladies!

Nice to meet you all :)

I am just writing in 'cause I started cerazette last month and I'd like to know if what I am experiencing is common.

Basically - the reason I am on it was all my combi-pills I have ever taken have caused severe thrush. I apparently just have a terrible imbalance there that cannot deal with them. So I got cerazette.

First 2 weeks were great but past three weeks have been filled with heavy brown spotting and the past week has been similar to a light period (TMI sorry!). Anyway the past week (alongside the light period), I have had really bad nausea and dizziness. It actually hurts so bad.

Is this common? Anyone speak from experience? - I've read the horror stories online, especially the many stating they got pregnant on this pill back in 2006-2010 so I am ignoring that :P

I am 23, in a long-term relationship, used to have regular periods until this pill.

I was at the doctor yesterday and that was before the nausea got worse but she did mention it was normal. She also checked if I took everything regularly and all was good. She gave me another two months and said I can come back in a month if I am suffering.

Any notes would be welcomed :)

Don't intend to freak you out, but did she do a pregnancy test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

sullivlo wrote: »
    Don't intend to freak you out, but did she do a pregnancy test?

No she didn't. She asked me details of the spotting, details of when I take the pill, if I have forgotten it, if the bleeding could be an infection, etc.

She told me nausea was very common then. Showed me a list of the side effects and all.

Hey guys,
    Can I ask anyone who has experience using the menstrual cup - did ye ever find it difficult to fit in? As it, not to be graphic but just to push it in? Even when I've folded it and folded it again as guides suggest, I still find it too big. Then of course I get stressed out about it because I would really like to be able to use it. I've tried the menstrual underwear and while it's okay it's not the best alternative. Thanks

Couldn't think of a better title but have any other ladies on here gone to the Doc to get birth control? I have no medical issues with my period, just a general inconvenience so I was thinking of getting the mirena IUD to hopefully eventually stop them. I'm just wondering if anyone else went because I don't need it for actual birth control so I'm worried if I go they might not do it.

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Mod Note: Might be better suited here instead of the LGBT Forum

Hey guys,
    Can I ask anyone who has experience using the menstrual cup - did ye ever find it difficult to fit in? As it, not to be graphic but just to push it in? Even when I've folded it and folded it again as guides suggest, I still find it too big. Then of course I get stressed out about it because I would really like to be able to use it. I've tried the menstrual underwear and while it's okay it's not the best alternative. Thanks
    Which size cup are you using?

Have you tried wetting the top of it to make it easier to insert?

Also what is the actual issue - is it unfolding before it gets far enough in? Is it that it is uncomfortable? Have you tried trimming the stem? Have you had similar issues with tampons before? Have you experienced any similar issues with anything else going into your vagina (smear test, sex, etc), or is it just with the cup?

(You don't have to answer these q's if you don't want - it's just something to think about)

Capizucchi wrote: »
    Couldn't think of a better title but have any other ladies on here gone to the Doc to get birth control? I have no medical issues with my period, just a general inconvenience so I was thinking of getting the mirena IUD to hopefully eventually stop them. I'm just wondering if anyone else went because I don't need it for actual birth control so I'm worried if I go they might not do it.

Thanks
    I'm sure if you went and explained the situation to your doctor they would discuss options with you. I have friends who don't need the pill as contraception but they still take it to regularise their cycle/delay their cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Fianlly after nearly 2 months of trying have the annual smear test booked for tomorrow, really annoyed i left it so long but jes the docs didnt make it easy. Even moved County and one place i rang today just said no they arent taking on any new patients, that was a first.. Up bright and early tomorrow to get it done i hope i dont sleep out now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Hey guys,
    I tried the cup and never got the hang of it. I suffer from situational vaginismus and just found it spiked my stress levels too much so I switched to washable sanitary towels instead. I'd love to be able to use the cup and might try again in the future, but it's not for everyone and that's okay.

Otherwise, try looking at different brands. Earthwise Girls have a chart with cup diameters and how stiff the material is, so perhaps a different cup would suit your needs better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks
    I did my research, asked for it, and GP wouldn't do it for me. Just put me on the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭alphatango

Addle wrote: »

Thanks
    I did my research, asked for it, and GP wouldn't do it for me. Just put me on the pill.

Speaking from experience my advice is don't do it. Mirena got stuck inside and required surgical removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

alphatango wrote: »
    Speaking from experience my advice is don't do it. Mirena got stuck inside and required surgical removal.

Speaking from my experience, it's the best thing I did getting the Mirena fitted. Smooth, painless insertion and no periods for the last two years. I would definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Which size cup are you using?

Have you tried wetting the top of it to make it easier to insert?

Also what is the actual issue - is it unfolding before it gets far enough in? Is it that it is uncomfortable? Have you tried trimming the stem? Have you had similar issues with tampons before? Have you experienced any similar issues with anything else going into your vagina (smear test, sex, etc), or is it just with the cup?

(You don't have to answer these q's if you don't want - it's just something to think about)

Thanks for your reply Sullivan :) I'm using the cup for women who haven't given birth just checked. I tried wetting it, it made no difference. This was me asking, just couldn't log in the last time :) no I haven't tried that, I've heard people suggest it but I couldn't see the difference it would make. I thought it would make it more difficult. I can get most of it in folding it over but not all of it in, though I did once actually and it opened up (inside me) but it wasn't securely in and by that point it just felt uncomfortable and I was sore so I took it out. Since then, I've struggled to get it in and I imagine my frustration is not helping my muscles relax. Each time I try now I suppose my mind is preoccupied with the thought of it being difficult and not working.

With tampons initially but it sorted itself out and I can use them no problem. I've never had a smear test as I'm under 25. Ive never had any other issues it really just seems to be the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd suggest practicing when it's not your time of the month and using some lube. Focus on getting it in and out first. You can perfect the positioning after that. If stem is still intact you probably don't need the full length of it inside. I trimmed off the stem completely as cup sat just inside and stem could protrude. Don't put any reassure on yourself, if it works it works and if not there are green alternatives.

fits wrote: »
    I'd suggest practicing when it's not your time of the month and using some lube. Focus on getting it in and out first. You can perfect the positioning after that. If stem is still intact you probably don't need the full length of it inside. I trimmed off the stem completely as cup sat just inside and stem could protrude. Don't put any reassure on yourself, if it works it works and if not there are green alternatives.

+1 on trimming the stem. I found the stem very uncomfortable.

Are you relaxed when inserting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

+1 on trimming the stem. I found the stem very uncomfortable.

Are you relaxed when inserting it?

I can't get that cup in either I've tried and tried. Never had any issues with anything else! It's just waaaay to big I found it very painful.

Was looking forward to using an environmentally friendly product.

• Advertisement

SATSUMA wrote: »
    I can't get that cup in either I've tried and tried. Never had any issues with anything else! It's just waaaay to big I found it very painful.

Was looking forward to using an environmentally friendly product.

Painful how? Have you tried inserting it when not on your period? Have you tried to wet the edges to help it in?

Advertisement