Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CeeCeeMack

Hi guys,

I'm 23, no children and have the Copper IUD which gives me horrible periods. When I got it inserted I passed out and vomitted and had to be hooked up to oxygen (fun). I can't get the pill/patch/injection as I am moving to the US and healthcare is too expensive.

Do I suck up my fear of the insertion and get the Mirena or get the Bar which isn't as well recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi CeeCee,

As medical advice isn't allowed on Boards posters won't be allowed to tell you what to do. They can give their experiences of the Mirena and the Bar but anything further than that is a discussion for you and your doctor.

Mars Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

CeeCeeMack wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm 23, no children and have the Copper IUD which gives me horrible periods. When I got it inserted I passed out and vomitted and had to be hooked up to oxygen (fun). I can't get the pill/patch/injection as I am moving to the US and healthcare is too expensive.

Do I suck up my fear of the insertion and get the Mirena or get the Bar which isn't as well recommended?

Why isn't the implanon as well recommended? My doctor told me that the implanon is more effective than tubal ligation as a contraceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Hi guys,

I don't have experience of the coil or the implant, but I do have experience of the US healthcare system :) Post-Obamacare contraception should be $0 out of pocket under your health insurance (there are exceptions and details, but this is largely true).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭alphatango

DM addict wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I don't have experience of the coil or the implant, but I do have experience of the US healthcare system :) Post-Obamacare contraception should be $0 out of pocket under your health insurance (there are exceptions and details, but this is largely true).[/quote

speaking from experience my advice is dont get the Mirena, it works ok for some but for other definitely not which was my experience.....i had to have surgery to have it removed. Whatever method you go for make sure and research it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

CeeCeeMack wrote:

I'm also 23, I've had the implant, the jaydess (smaller than mirena), pill and currently the patch. Been through the mill. Contraceptives are such a personal thing. What works for you might not for me etc.

I personally found the jaydess nuisance. I use a menstrual cup and I managed to dislodge my jaydess due the suction/vacuum when taking my cup out (I had a lot of irregular bleeding with jaydess). Getting it inserted was hard-going I agree, almost fainted and had to be kept lying down for about 40 minutes.

The bar (implanon) is absolutely brilliant if it suits you, which mine did. Until it it didn't. Because of the progesterone you can get constant spotting which I started getting after a year and a half on it. I still am glad I had it for that year and a half. We tried replacing it but I never settled down. If you go on contraceptives so you can enjoy sex you hardly want to be bleeding all the time.

Sorry for my rambling! If you feel up for the procedure, mirena could be a good bet. Or if you know how you do on progesterone only, maybe the bar?

Good luck in America

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

DM addict wrote: »
    I don't have experience of the coil or the implant, but I do have experience of the US healthcare system :) Post-Obamacare contraception should be $0 out of pocket under your health insurance (there are exceptions and details, but this is largely true).

Trump plans to end Obamacare.

How long will you be in America for OP?

Hey guys! Thanks for the advice. I was living in the US for 18 months which is where I got the IUD inserted. However my insurance ended with my last job and insurance is so expensive there that I can't afford to buy it until my fiancee and I get married and I go on his. Even if I buy Obamacare, trying to find a doctor to accept it is a whole other issue in NYC :( I probably won't be returning to Ireland permanently for a long time, just visiting. Not leaving until May so have some time to decide I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

sullivlo wrote: »
    Trump plans to end Obamacare.

How long will you be in America for OP?

Sure, but he plans a lot of things he can't do. He's also said that he's going to keep bits of it. So wait and see.

But yeah, if you're not going to be there for work and have guaranteed health insurance, maybe not the best plan to rely on it.

Well I will be working but I actually worked in the medical industry in GYN myself and the cost of procedures there is eye watering. Without insurance, a simple blood test can end up costing in the thousands :( Trying to get all of this sorted before I leave, the healthcare system here is much better in my opinion (Well parts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Random2016

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has undergone keyhole surgery to remove a cyst on ovaries? Did you have any complications? Did you heal ok afterwards? Any scars!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Random2016 wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has undergone keyhole surgery to remove a cyst on ovaries? Did you have any complications? Did you heal ok afterwards? Any scars!

Just my experience which wasn't great and has more to do with the healthcare system where I am (Middle East) but just some things to be aware of.

I had no issues after the surgery itself, I healed fine, it was 2 months before I got married. However my Dr at the time stopped my periods altogether with a hormone injection which I later found out was extremely bad practice and basically gave me the menopause for 6 months which was awful.
    I have since had a healthy baby (I had 2 MC's after the surgery but as far as I am aware they were completely unrelated.)

I found out afterwards my surgery was probably unnecessary, my symptoms should have been managed with pain relief rather than straight to theater, So I would possibly get a 2nd opinion if you are unsure. The surgery can cause scarring which can affect fertility.

I don't mean to put you off, just some things to be aware of. Best of luck with it, on the plus side I have had very little pain and only small cysts since, (i have endometriosis).

I have 3 tiny scars

No complications. Simple procedure. Three small incisions that I can no longer point out - in my belly button, along my pubic bone and I can't remember the third. Healed well. Bit tender for a few days. Had some unexpected bleeding but that's fairly normal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hi guys,

I am on my third implanon (bar??) and cannot recommend it enough.
    My friend however has had constant bleeding on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

I had both ovaries and tubes removed by keyhole surgery at the start of December. No complications and back driving a week later.

3 incisions as previous poster has said with tiny scars - almost invisible. Good luck - let me know if you need any other info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Mod

Hi Sasha,

I'm moving your post to our thread on ladygardening for dummies - someone there should answer your questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey there,
    I'm trying to help a concerned lady get more info on getting an IUD fitted in Ireland. She wants a contraceptive that is not animal tested and does not interfere with hormones.

The first one we came across was www.paragard.com but this is based in the US and I'm not sure it's available here?

They offer something similar in Dublin here: http://wellwomancentre.ie/sub-topics/intrauterine-contraceptive-devices/

But it doesn't seem to be the paragard.

There's a lot of warnings on the paragard website, but it doesn't say how common these problems are and we're hoping it's just your typical American "you can't sue us" info.

It also seems these problems are described on the wellwomancentre page with their device.

The concerns are:
    • What are the strings hanging down for? Are these there permanently and will be be like the string of a tampon?
    • It says tampons can't be used for the first few months and she doesn't like sanitary towels. Has anyone found another solution until tampons can be used again?
    • It says you need to be on your period during fitting and she's not happy about this. How were people's experiences?
    • For anyone who has it, have you experienced any of the complications that are plastered everywhere on the Paragard site?
    • Has anyone actually had to have surgery to remove it after it's gone through the uterus wall and how complicated was the surgery?

Also, has anyone managed to find anywhere that can fit the actual paragard?

Any feedback or advice would be great :)

Mod

I'm moving your thread to our mega thread - ladygardening for dummies. A quick read through that on info about IUD contraception should answer your questions.

Also no harm to get your concerned lady friend to see a GP to make sure she is eligible for the particular contraception.

I has question.

I'm having a particularly irregular cycle currently. I'm going away next week and am due whilst away. My GP gave me some primolut to take to delay my period and I am confused by it.

I have taken it before in an attempt to regularise my cycle, not to delay a period. I don't really remember what it was like - I think I still had spotting but I can't be sure. I was already bleeding when I started it. It was a particularly viscious period. Three months it had been going!!!

Anyway. Does anyone know whether it will stop all bleeding or should I prepare for spotting? Going skiing and have white salopettes.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Never taken it, Sullivlo, but I'd say go prepared. Even if you don't need the sanitary ware it's no harm to bring it anyway. What about a mooncup?

Have one and it's great for regular days but I find it uncomfortable for spotting... Will bring it anyway and a selection of everything else though. Just in case :pac:

Sullivo, are all threads like the one I made above moved to the megathread? I know with these megathreads, a lot of posts seem to get lost and forgotten, so not sure it's a good place for me to get the answers :o

Unless I trail back through the 3,200 posts :eek::pac:

cormie wrote: »
    Sullivo, are all threads like the one I made above moved to the megathread? I know with these megathreads, a lot of posts seem to get lost and forgotten, so not sure it's a good place for me to get the answers :o

Unless I trail back through the 3,200 posts :eek::pac:
    Mod

We have a very capable search function to avoid trawling through those 3,200 posts ;)

And yes - all posts are moved to the megathread. Otherwise the Ladies Lounge would consist of 27 different threads on different contraceptions. Most of the regulars check this thread frequently and are more likely to see this thread than individual threads as they're subscribed to this one.

If you need further clarification, feel free to PM.

Ok thanks for the feedback. It would be great if some posters with experience could help with my specific query in post #3202 so will keep my fingers crossed :)

Paragard is essentially a brand name for the copper coil. Plenty of experience/advice/questions already asked/answered/shared in the thread.

The HSE website has a good section on IUDs that might be helpful to you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Hello! I have a paragard that I got inserted in the US. I worked in a very renowned OB/GYN's office too. Paragard is essentially the copper IUD, it's just a brand name. Strings are tiny, nothing like a tampon string and are well... pretty far up. My partner says he never felt them. They're there for checking monthly to see if the IUD is still in place. I'm 23 with no children and found the insertion very painful to the point I threw up and passed out) but it is quick. If your friend has no children she might find it difficult to get a doctor to insert it for her as in Ireland they don't recommend it unless you have had children. You do not have to be on your period (I wasn't) and I used tampons straight away (I assume this is to cover themselves). Paragards make your periods longer, heavier and the cramps get worse. I'm getting mine removed after a year because I find the cramps so bad and this was never an issue for me before. The surgery to get it removed if it travels is pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KaTEA

Hi! I want to start taking contraception, but it's not really something I can talk about at home :/
    I'm terribly forgetful, so the Pill wouldn't be suitable for me on those grounds, I can't afford the bar, so I was thinking about the Evra Patch.
    Does anyone use it? Is it good? Any major side effects?
    Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

KaTEA wrote: »
    Hi! I want to start taking contraception, but it's not really something I can talk about at home :/
    I'm terribly forgetful, so the Pill wouldn't be suitable for me on those grounds, I can't afford the bar, so I was thinking about the Evra Patch.
    Does anyone use it? Is it good? Any major side effects?
    Thanks!!

I was on the Evra patch. Its extremely easy to use and keep very discreet. My period was very light and regular while using it. However, on the side effect front I had a real hard time. The site of the patch itched and burned, I broke out in 1 inch hives all over my body, I retained so much fluid I had to stop wearing socks and my mood dipped so low I was considering anti-depressants and leaving my partner. Once I came off it, I was back to normal within a week. I'm told they are all rare symptoms and my sister used it to great success with only minor itching
    at the site of the patch for the first day or so

Advertisement