Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

KaTEA wrote: »
    Hi! I want to start taking contraception, but it's not really something I can talk about at home :/
    I'm terribly forgetful, so the Pill wouldn't be suitable for me on those grounds, I can't afford the bar, so I was thinking about the Evra Patch.
    Does anyone use it? Is it good? Any major side effects?
    Thanks!!
    I've been on it for over 10 years now. I had recently considered changing to the coil but after a discussion with my gp we agreed to stick with the patch as it's working just fine for me (I'd been on the same contraceptive for 10 years so appointment was to see if there was anything new to the market or if something else would be more suitable now I was older).

Anyway I find it works just fine for me. I change my patch at the start of each week, wear it on my stomach and swap sides at each change. The sticky stuff is quite strong, it won't fall off and it takes a good pull to take it off. Fluff and fibres from your clothes can get stuck around the edges of the patch. Sometimes itchy but not majorly. Like ShaShaBear my periods are light and regular.

My sex drive is lower with the patch but I'm guessing it's a price I've to pay for not getting pregnant. I wouldn't consider my mood to be low but I don't have the great fluctuations of moods from very upbeat to very low that I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

cormie wrote: »
    Hey there,
    I'm trying to help a concerned lady get more info on getting an IUD fitted in Ireland. She wants a contraceptive that is not animal tested and does not interfere with hormones.

The first one we came across was www.paragard.com but this is based in the US and I'm not sure it's available here?

They offer something similar in Dublin here: http://wellwomancentre.ie/sub-topics/intrauterine-contraceptive-devices/

But it doesn't seem to be the paragard.

There's a lot of warnings on the paragard website, but it doesn't say how common these problems are and we're hoping it's just your typical American "you can't sue us" info.

It also seems these problems are described on the wellwomancentre page with their device.

The concerns are:
    • What are the strings hanging down for? Are these there permanently and will be be like the string of a tampon?
    • It says tampons can't be used for the first few months and she doesn't like sanitary towels. Has anyone found another solution until tampons can be used again?
    • It says you need to be on your period during fitting and she's not happy about this. How were people's experiences?
    • For anyone who has it, have you experienced any of the complications that are plastered everywhere on the Paragard site?
    • Has anyone actually had to have surgery to remove it after it's gone through the uterus wall and how complicated was the surgery?

Also, has anyone managed to find anywhere that can fit the actual paragard?

Any feedback or advice would be great :)

Hey, I have a different IUD (Jaydess) that my doc recommended as I'm young with no kids (26), but some of your questions are common to all IUDs. I didn't go near the copper IUD as it's known to increase bleeding in some people, and I really don't need that!

- Strings. The strings are basically for checking if it's there and removing it and holding it in place. Mine are practically non-existent. My partner has never felt them and I'd have difficulty finding them myself.

- Insertion. Yes, you need to get it done on your period, it's easiest then. Yes, I felt super icky about that but as it worked out I was on day 3 I think so not at the heaviest point. From start to finish it took about 15 mins, she'll barely bleed at all in that time. The doc is used to it too, she just needs to get around it in her head.

- I've had no complications or surgery. I have it about 9 months now. All those complications etc are common to IUDs and rare, although my cousin did have to have surgery to remove Mirena because it went through her uterus. Her surgery was quick and uncomplicated. A few people here have had similar stories, but keep in mind that people are more likely to talk about their bad experiences than their good ones.

I didn't even realise an IUD would be tested on animals! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey, I have a different IUD (Jaydess) .........

I didn't even realise an IUD would be tested on animals! :confused:

Thanks a lot for the reply. I checked http://www.jaydess.com/compare-your-options and it's pretty helpful and the video explains the procedure pretty well.

I do notice it says the plastic ones are hormonal though, so you went for a hormonal one over a copper one?

The testing on animals was a general stance, not specific to IUD's. The pill is tested on animals and has to be continually tested on animals ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I don't know where else to ask this. I seem to get awful back pain during that time of the month. I can tell when I'm about to start, I get an awful sore back the day before which lasts a few days.

I was never like this before, only the past couple of months. Is there a reason for a change like this, is it worth finding out. My GP is pretty useless, he will probably prescribe painkillers, which I'll happily take but if there's a reason, shouldn't I try find the cause of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I checked http://www.jaydess.com/compare-your-options and it's pretty helpful and the video explains the procedure pretty well.

I do notice it says the plastic ones are hormonal though, so you went for a hormonal one over a copper one?

The testing on animals was a general stance, not specific to IUD's. The pill is tested on animals and has to be continually tested on animals ;(

Both are actually plastic I believe, then one is coated in copper while the other is coated with hormones. Yeah, I went hormonal as I was told that the copper one is more likely to lead to heavier crampier periods and I really don't need that!

I was really impressed with the instructional videos and info available online for Jaydess actually. It's also sold under the name Skyla. I found the procedure quite uncomfortable (think I wrote a review in this thread at the time) but almost no pain afterwards except for slight cramping for a day. I had taken a day off work for the procedure which was completely unnecessary but I figure better be safe than sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

The Raptor wrote: »
    I don't know where else to ask this. I seem to get awful back pain during that time of the month. I can tell when I'm about to start, I get an awful sore back the day before which lasts a few days.

I was never like this before, only the past couple of months. Is there a reason for a change like this, is it worth finding out. My GP is pretty useless, he will probably prescribe painkillers, which I'll happily take but if there's a reason, shouldn't I try find the cause of it.

Hi :) have you ever sprained your back or hurt it? I sprained my back over a year ago and I find now during my t.o.m. my back tends irritate me more so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Hi :) have you ever sprained your back or hurt it? I sprained my back over a year ago and I find now during my t.o.m. my back tends irritate me more so?

Well that could explain things.

Hello ladies :)

I have been prescribed cerazette and google has me rather nervous of it. The point of going back on the pill was to regulate my periods which have been random since August. My blood pressure was high today so I'm guessing that's why my doc chose this particular pill. I dunno. Mood swings, weight gain, and regular spotting are not what I want :(

Has anyone here experience of cerazette?

Oh maybe this should go in the ladygardening thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I have been prescribed cerazette and google has me rather nervous of it. The point of going back on the pill was to regulate my periods which have been random since August. My blood pressure was high today so I'm guessing that's why my doc chose this particular pill. I dunno. Mood swings, weight gain, and regular spotting are not what I want :(

The first two years I was on it it was great, periods were very light, etc. The third year I was on it, everything went haywire. Super heavy periods, nearly fainted at work cramps were so bad. Switched pills and it got better again. It seems to hit everyone differently, not really helpful feedback I guess :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Oh maybe this should go in the ladygardening thread?

I was on it for a few months and I hated it. Basically had a 2 month period with regular spotting before and after. My head was all over the place as well.

• Advertisement

I was on it for a few months and I hated it. Basically had a 2 month period with regular spotting before and after. My head was all over the place as well.

It's the mood part I would be most concerned about. I think I'll wait. Doc wants me to wear a blood pressure monitor for 24hrs so I'll see how things are after that. Feckin hate this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been on Cerazette twice and never lasted more than 5 months. First time I gave up after 9 weeks because I had five full periods in that time, second time I stopped it after 5 months because it was driving my mood low enough to have my GP diagnose me with post natal depression. The second time I didn't have much of a choice though because I was/am breastfeeding and couldn't take a combined pill.

Your mileage may vary though - it's the only pill my sister can take (she's heavy, a smoker and has had high blood pressure since her teens) and she thinks it's great, hasn't had a period in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

I've just moved some posts in to the lady gardening thread. :)

I've been on Cerazette twice and never lasted more than 5 months. First time I gave up after 9 weeks because I had five full periods in that time, second time I stopped it after 5 months because it was driving my mood low enough to have my GP diagnose me with post natal depression. The second time I didn't have much of a choice though because I was/am breastfeeding and couldn't take a combined pill.

Your mileage may vary though - it's the only pill my sister can take (she's heavy, a smoker and has had high blood pressure since her teens) and she thinks it's great, hasn't had a period in years.

Yikes. I'm not heavy or a smoker so can only hope my high blood pressure was a glitch. It was 133/80 a few hours later though :( Well I think it was 80. I've been on a few different pills throughout the years and have had no problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

If you are due a 24 hour blood pressure check, I must advise you, don't pay much heed to readings doctors take in surgery, as they can be woefully inaccurate. I have the results of a 24 hour next to me from last year, and they automatically discount the first few to allow for "white coat syndrome" or the nervousness that come with being in a healthcare facility. After that, just let the machine do its thing. Stressing about what it may be reading will just make it worse.

(Oh, and 133/80 is really quite acceptable :))

If you are due a 24 hour blood pressure check, I must advise you, don't pay much heed to readings doctors take in surgery, as they can be woefully inaccurate. I have the results of a 24 hour next to me from last year, and they automatically discount the first few to allow for "white coat syndrome" or the nervousness that come with being in a healthcare facility. After that, just let the machine do its thing. Stressing about what it may be reading will just make it worse.

(Oh, and 133/80 is really quite acceptable :))

Thank you for that robyn :) I'm an awful worrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 buddy34

anyone any experience of having one fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 39,287 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not really a fitness issue tbh.
    Maybe ask over in The Ladies' Lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Moved from fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi buddy,

I've moved your thread to the Lady Gardening Thread. There has been many a discussion in this thread about the mirena coil and I've no doubt you'll find your answer if you search the thread! :)

Mars Bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 buddy34

hi I had the mirena coil fitted about 5 yrs ago. about 3 yrs ago I started suffering with severe bouts of depression. is there a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

MOD

Hey buddy, we can't request/offer medical advice here. Your best bet would be to go and chat to your GP or well woman clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have an embarrassing question, hence logging out.

Going to be TMI but I don't know how to approach this with my doctor. I discovered a pain in my belly that only happens if I use a vibrator, that doesn't happen when I don't. I think it's to do with penetration (hate that word). It's another symptom in a long line of things so I'd like to discuss it with my doctor. I just don't know whether to say it was during sex or whether to be honest and say it was during a solo session. Sex would be less embarrassing, but not true!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I have an embarrassing question, hence logging out.

Going to be TMI but I don't know how to approach this with my doctor. I discovered a pain in my belly that only happens if I use a vibrator, that doesn't happen when I don't. I think it's to do with penetration (hate that word). It's another symptom in a long line of things so I'd like to discuss it with my doctor. I just don't know whether to say it was during sex or whether to be honest and say it was during a solo session. Sex would be less embarrassing, but not true!

It depends, do you mean you only have pain after using a vibrator and not any other type of stimulation/sex? Or that deep penetration (vibrator or otherwise, maybe vibrator is the only type atm) causes pain for you?
    If the latter, i personally would say penetration (not that i am advising this, just if it was me and my modesty) and if she asks for specifics then be honest. Or else just say when using vibrator- doesn't necessarily mean solo session! I wouldn't worry though, they've heard it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

neonsofa wrote: »
    It depends, do you mean you only have pain after using a vibrator and not any other type of stimulation/sex? Or that deep penetration (vibrator or otherwise, maybe vibrator is the only type atm) causes pain for you?
    If the latter, i personally would say penetration (not that i am advising this, just if it was me and my modesty) and if she asks for specifics then be honest. Or else just say when using vibrator- doesn't necessarily mean solo session! I wouldn't worry though, they've heard it all.

Bit of a dry spell currently so haven't had penetrative sex in a long time. Aside from the speculum during my smear test, nothing has gone inside my vagina for ages :o
    ....... wrote: »

Oh I know that my doctor won't judge me at all. Far from it. My doctor is very approachable and very normal and down to earth. My concern is more to do with saying the words or even how to phrase it. It's easy to say "I got a bad pain in my tummy when I was having sex" but less easy to say "I got a bad pain in my tummy when I put a vibrator inside myself", mainly because I have discussed sex with my doctor before so that's not new.

I get really self conscious about sex talk and stuff. Which in itself is embarrassing. It took me about 3 visits to my doctor to tell her that I was bleeding after sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

In 99.999% of cases, it's not going to be anywhere near the strangest thing your doctor has heard. I'm pretty sure they've all heard much stranger. It should make it easier to say what you want to say if you look at it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Bit of a dry spell currently so haven't had penetrative sex in a long time. Aside from the speculum during my smear test, nothing has gone inside my vagina for ages :o

Oh I know that my doctor won't judge me at all. Far from it. My doctor is very approachable and very normal and down to earth. My concern is more to do with saying the words or even how to phrase it. It's easy to say "I got a bad pain in my tummy when I was having sex" but less easy to say "I got a bad pain in my tummy when I put a vibrator inside myself", mainly because I have discussed sex with my doctor before so that's not new.

I get really self conscious about sex talk and stuff. Which in itself is embarrassing. It took me about 3 visits to my doctor to tell her that I was bleeding after sex.

I know exactly what you mean. It's all well and good saying that they've heard it all etc but when it comes to saying the words yourself it can feel like a bigger deal than it actually is. I totally get that. You'll find the words when u are in there. Honestly even if you plan how to say it you'll end up saying something else. Just blurt it out and it'll be over with lol.
    If youre very embarrassed you could Google the problem and print out discussions online- bring that and just say you've been having an issue and you Googled the issue and these were the responses but you wanted doctors opinion. Hand the printout and that will give all details. A lot of effort for a simple conversation but if it really does cause you anxiety that might be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

I spoke with her and said "when I was engaging in sexual activity I experienced pain" and she assumed it was penis in vagina sex and I didn't correct her :pac:

Thanks all. Silly thing to get worked up over :o

Advertisement