Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 smellyandy

Hey ladies.

I just started taking the pill a few days ago and I'm experiencing some really not so nice moods (spontaneous crying and inexplicable rage caused by very small and trivial things). I started to take the pill around this time last year as well, and stopped taking it after just 10 days due to being too depressed to get out of bed. The first time, I was prescribed Logynon by my doctor (an elderly man with what I'd believe to be very little experience with contraception pills) who told me that if this particular pill didn't work then "other pills were unlikely to suit me". This time around, I got a pill called Zoely from a doctor at my local Well Woman clinic - a pill supposedly lower in synthetic chemicals, which sounds like exactly what I might need.

My moods are not at all as bad as they were last year. I'm also aware that I've not been taking them long enough to warrant any kind of conclusion on whether or not they suit me.

Just a few questions: How long before these strange moods are likely to wear off? If they don't, is there a possibility that I'm just not physiologically able to use any contraceptive pill?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Maybe a combined pill isn't for you.

I was on logynon years ago and had no problems with it but switched to cerazette (progesterone-only pill) when i suffered migraines (even though the switch didn't solve the migraine issue).

I would give it at least a month before stopping this pill.

When I started cerazette I hated it! I had cramps and spotting for weeks but once I was mid way through the second box I was back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

High milk consumption has long been promoted as strengthening bone and reducing the likelihood of fragility fractures.

However, we recently demonstrated a higher risk of fracture with high daily milk consumption in women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

How long should your period be before it's something that raises concern? I normally bleed for 5-6 days but I'm currently on day 9 and still quite heavy. I'm not worried and I think the reason is probably connected to the fact that my last period was exceptionally light, but I've never had a period go on this long before.

I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday for a separate issue anyway so I'll talk to him about it then, but in the mean time, does anyone have any similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Vojera wrote: »
    How long should your period be before it's something that raises concern? I normally bleed for 5-6 days but I'm currently on day 9 and still quite heavy. I'm not worried and I think the reason is probably connected to the fact that my last period was exceptionally light, but I've never had a period go on this long before.

I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday for a separate issue anyway so I'll talk to him about it then, but in the mean time, does anyone have any similar experiences?

Yeah, happens me. Mention it to the doctor. If he thinks it's cause for concern he'll run some bloods. My last period lasted 16 days. The one before was 12. Not particularly heavy, but enough to know it was a period. I'm waiting to see my GP in a week or two so I'll mention it again - last time I said it to her she said if it didn't settle she'd run bloods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Vojera wrote: »

While on birth control I can have one for up to four weeks at a time until hormones settle down. I had non stop bleeding for months after getting implant inserted but it was not the same throughout- varied from spotting to heavy etc. My GP wasn't concerned in the slightest as we knew why it was happening. My normal periods while not on birth control can last around 10 days some months. Not fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Thanks guys. Good to know it's not that "out there" in terms of what can happen. I'll talk to my GP about it on Wednesday to see what he thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Question for the ladies with coils, I have mine in about a year now and all has been fine. I'm due the annual check up soon so I'll ask my doctor then, but wanted to get some feedback here first. For the past two months or so I feel like I'm on my period twice a month. I get heavy cramping and spotting for two to three days, then nothing. I'll get a full blown session about 2 weeks later for maybe 5 days. Then 2 weeks later again I'll get the cramps. This is new to me, I never really experienced spotting at all before. Anyone else ever have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

Hey all! Title should be to delay period!
    So I came off the pill after years in June to make sure everything was in working order ....my cycle has gone back to being very regular which is great but now it looks like I'm due my period for my wedding in July! 
    Has anyone taken Norethisterone to delay their period and if so, how much does it mess up your cycle? We want to try for a baby pretty much straight after the wedding so don't want to be hanging around for months waiting for it to go back to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi Hermia,

We have a thread for this type of discussion so I've moved your thread there.

Mars Bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Hermia wrote: »
    Hey all! Title should be to delay period!
    So I came off the pill after years in June to make sure everything was in working order ....my cycle has gone back to being very regular which is great but now it looks like I'm due my period for my wedding in July! 
    Has anyone taken Norethisterone to delay their period and if so, how much does it mess up your cycle? We want to try for a baby pretty much straight after the wedding so don't want to be hanging around for months waiting for it to go back to normal!

I've taken it. It's pretty straightforward - take it for a few days before you're due, and stop it when you're ready for your period.

The resulting period was worse than normal, but cycle was back on track the next month, later obviously.

It was handy and if I have any other events I'll take it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

I also took it for my wedding last July and had no issues at all. I was worried about it for the same reasons as you but as I sit in on a Saturday night drinking sparkling water at 6 months pregnant I don't think you have anything to worry about

Congratulations on the big day x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I just came off birth control i had been on for twelve years - i was getting increasingly worse migraines. Everything is starting to feel "real" now - like a fog of sorts is lifting. Has anyone experienced that?

I had no problem with the birth control for the majority of the time but in the last 1.5-2 years i was getting migraines that i never had before.

Looking into other contraceptive methods now - my gp thinks i need to avoid hormonal methods to see if the migraines stop.

I am really interested in tubal litigation. i actually asked for it when i was twenty (dont want kids) and was told no. I wonder would i have a better case now at 32? Has anyone had the procedure done? I understand it can be done by keyhole surgery now.

I wish you all the best Parchment but I'd be very surprised if you can get a doctor to go for tubal ligation at your age, especially if you've no kids. A close friend of mine was the same, she's 31 now. She tried at 24 and ended up getting the coil. She tried again at 29 when the coil was removed, again with no luck. She said the doctors wouldn't even consider it, told her she might "feel different" in a few years.

I wish you all the best Parchment but I'd be very surprised if you can get a doctor to go for tubal ligation at your age, especially if you've no kids. A close friend of mine was the same, she's 31 now. She tried at 24 and ended up getting the coil. She tried again at 29 when the coil was removed, again with no luck. She said the doctors wouldn't even consider it, told her she might "feel different" in a few years.

I have a great relationship with my go and she knows i have never changed my mind and will never change my mind! She said we now have a stronger argument as it looks like i cannot use hormonal contraceptives.

its quite depressing that a rational adult woman cannot make her mind up about her own body!

The copper coil is my only other consideration but i think thats not a great idea for me either as i have anemia. My gp said thats another point in my favour for the litigation.

Spinoff - has anyone experiences with the copper coil they would like to share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Thanks - thats a great reply. I am going to chase it up again with my doctor. My migraines were so bad she has referred me (twice) to see a neuro consultant so hopefully that appointment comes up soon. I will ask my gp about the litigation when i go back to her and hammer it home that its what i want.

I have never got an aura with the migraine just blinding pain on the left side of my head - around my eye/sinus.

The mirena and copper coil interest me - the copper coil mostly as its non-hormonal but im anemic so i cant have either of those as they induce heavier periods. I also use a mooncup and they are not that compatible with the IUDs.

All in all i have a good case for litigation!i will be very happy if coming off the hormonal birth control stops my migraines. Im glad you have found one that works!

Parchment wrote: »
    Thanks - thats a great reply. I am going to chase it up again with my doctor. My migraines were so bad she has referred me (twice) to see a neuro consultant so hopefully that appointment comes up soon. I will ask my gp about the litigation when i go back to her and hammer it home that its what i want.

I have never got an aura with the migraine just blinding pain on the left side of my head - around my eye/sinus.

The mirena and copper coil interest me - the copper coil mostly as its non-hormonal but im anemic so i cant have either of those as they induce heavier periods. I also use a mooncup and they are not that compatible with the IUDs.

All in all i have a good case for litigation!i will be very happy if coming off the hormonal birth control stops my migraines. Im glad you have found one that works!

Not sure what you mean by mooncup isn't compatible with IUDs? I've been using a cup (different brand) since I got the coil. Mirena is hormonal but isn't associated with heavier periods although the copper one is. I'm also anaemic so copper wasn't an option for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Not sure what you mean by mooncup isn't compatible with IUDs? I've been using a cup (different brand) since I got the coil.

Anecdotal but :eek:

http://rosemarymaccabe.com/mooncup-sucked-coil-true-horror-story/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Another waxing issue...finding a new waxer is proving traumatic. Had been going to Waxperts since it opened but all my favourite waxers have moved to the training side. Tried another one in Waxperts and I've never felt so fat (I'm a size 8) in my life, the way she was pushing my belly out of the way. Didn't click with her either and if someone is going to spread hot wax on my groin, I'd like to feel they were looking out for me...

Last week I tried lycon in a salon I go to for other treatments and I'm still getting shooting pains after it, I have chicken skin in places, the wax was too hot and it took half the time Waxperts would have so I'm not sure it was anywhere near as good.

Anyone know a salon in the Dublin West/South West or even north west that uses Waxperts wax and doesn't double dip?

Faith wrote: »

I'd be pretty reluctant to give any weight to a blogger that isn't an expert in that field. It's the use of "Google says" without a source that I don't agree with. I do appreciate that it did happen to her but studies have shown that while menstrual cups are slightly more likely to cause expulsion, in general the risk in incredibly low. Source: http://www.mdedge.com/familypracticenews/article/36931/womens-health/menstrual-products-dont-increase-iud-expulsion

As much as I appreciate anecdotal evidence, if I was to worry too much about it is never have gotten the coil as the day before I was due to get it in my cousin had surgery to remove hers as it broke through the wall of her womb!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

athtrasna wrote: »
    Another waxing issue...finding a new waxer is proving traumatic. Had been going to Waxperts since it opened but all my favourite waxers have moved to the training side. Tried another one in Waxperts and I've never felt so fat (I'm a size 8) in my life, the way she was pushing my belly out of the way. Didn't click with her either and if someone is going to spread hot wax on my groin, I'd like to feel they were looking out for me...

Last week I tried lycon in a salon I go to for other treatments and I'm still getting shooting pains after it, I have chicken skin in places, the wax was too hot and it took half the time Waxperts would have so I'm not sure it was anywhere near as good.

Anyone know a salon in the Dublin West/South West or even north west that uses Waxperts wax and doesn't double dip?

I use brazilia, they use lycon and I've never had any issues. I have read on here that they double dip although I have never noticed in the one I go to in south William St.

I tried another place more local to me who claimed to use lycon, I expected it to be the same as in brazilia....I was so wrong. Like you, I felt so large and like an inconvenience, it was actually so degrading. They also used strips too. And the wax was messy and too hot. I made a complaint and they offered me free treatments but I didn't trust them enough to go back. So I think it really depends on the place/person rather than the type of wax.

I definitely realised why brazilia and I think Waxperts too, use the term "precision" waxing because when I went back to them after the last place, the girl could even notice that the shape was all over the place and the hairs had been broken in places rather than waxed out. The standards in the actual salons were different too. Like brazilia and Wax in the city are very clean and have procedures whereby they take you to the room/cubicle and give you a few minutes and then knock when they come in, the one I went to locally just kinda pushed me in the door and left- no instructions, no take your time, no wipe on the bed or towel, the wax table was a mess and the heater looked like it hadn't been cleaned in days. Things like that should have set alarm bells off tbh but I don't usually care about the look of a place, I have found with hairdressers the older less stylish places have always been better. Then the woman just waltzed into the room (which led out to a main reception area!!) No knock or anything to check I'm decent. Going off an a rant now, but my point is check out the place for cleanliness (not necessarily modern or slick, just clean) and their general professionalism when booking because chances are if they are not careful about that kind of stuff at front of house they won't be when it comes to the waxing either.

Not sure what you mean by mooncup isn't compatible with IUDs? I've been using a cup (different brand) since I got the coil. Mirena is hormonal but isn't associated with heavier periods although the copper one is. I'm also anaemic so copper wasn't an option for me.

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/using-mooncup/is-it-safe-to-use-the-mooncup-with-an-iud-or-coil/

I have quite a low cervix so it all sounds like it just wouldnt work for me. But of course its different for everyone - thats just my situation. I pretty much know it would be an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

I'd be pretty reluctant to give any weight to a blogger that isn't an expert in that field. It's the use of "Google says" without a source that I don't agree with. I do appreciate that it did happen to her but studies have shown that while menstrual cups are slightly more likely to cause expulsion, in general the risk in incredibly low. Source:

It happened to me! 😢 After six months of always using my menstrual cup with my jaydess (smaller hormonal coil) I managed to partially it yank out when I didn't break the seal properly on my cup.

Very uncomfortable and involved an emergency visit to the GPS to get it out.

As long as you're very careful to always fully break the seal there should be no problem. After the trauma I couldn't face getting another put in

duvetdayss wrote: »
    It happened to me! 😢 After six months of always using my menstrual cup with my jaydess (smaller hormonal coil) I managed to partially it yank out when I didn't break the seal properly on my cup.

Very uncomfortable and involved an emergency visit to the GPS to get it out.

As long as you're very careful to always fully break the seal there should be no problem. After the trauma I couldn't face getting another put in

Its great to hear it first hand - i suppose its a small space in there and one is bound to affect the other. Glad you were ok after it - i could imagine that was pretty scary.

I posted in here a few months ago about whether or not to take cerazette. Well I started last Saturday. Now I have a spotty chin and am constipated :( Mind you the old chin was a bit blemishy to begin with and I am prone to bowel problems.

Fingers crossed this pill will suit me.

....... wrote: »
    I had a huge overproduction of sebum when I started taking it, my hair was GROSSLY greasy. Spotty as well but it was my hair where I really noticed it. Oh and my nose. My swimming nose clip started just.....sliding off. :(

It did settle down after a few months.

Do you mind me asking if you're still taking it?

• Advertisement

Advertisement