Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

....... wrote: »
    Yes Im still on it - its been a few years now, maybe 3?

I have very slowly gained weight since Ive been on it though and would like to get off the pill altogether.

When I came off my last pill some health issues cleared up that I didnt even know were related to the pill - I used to get intestinal candida overgrowth and have horrible heartburn and upset stomach for weeks on end. The ocular migraines stopped. My libido increased.

Oh no. I'm worried about the weight gain. I've been on the combined pill in the past and have had no problems with it. I came off it about 18 months ago. I was single at the time but the longer I remained off it the more reluctant I became to start taking synthetic hormones again.

I need a contraceptive and my blood pressure has been high the last two GP visits so cerazette is what I was prescribed. I'm hoping that because past experiences with the combined one was good that this will be the same. The internet is full of mixed reports. One being that weight gain may occur due to an increase in appetite rather than the actual pill itself.

The auld pulling out method just isn't going to cut it anymore so hopefully Cerazette will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cerazette made it impossible for me to lose weight too, despite actively trying, and I was only in my early 20s when I tried it. If I'd stayed on it longer than 2 months, I'm quite sure I'd have started gaining weight.

Ladies, I feel like I ask about this on a far-too-regular basis, but here I go again :( : chronic thrush. I have suffered with this since I was about 17. Over the last few years, I get it and I can't shake it fully for months. I have tried a low sugar diet. I have taken Diflucan every month for a period of months, which gets rid of it for a while but it ultimately comes back. I only wash the area with water. I have tried using a pessary and Diflucan together. I have come off the pill and switched to a Mirena. And I'm still plagued!! Any other novel ideas? The fact that I CAN shake it for a bit makes me think it's not dietary or something like laundry detergent, but those are pretty hard to control for also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Faith wrote: »
    Ladies, I feel like I ask about this on a far-too-regular basis, but here I go again :( : chronic thrush. I have suffered with this since I was about 17. Over the last few years, I get it and I can't shake it fully for months. I have tried a low sugar diet. I have taken Diflucan every month for a period of months, which gets rid of it for a while but it ultimately comes back. I only wash the area with water. I have tried using a pessary and Diflucan together. I have come off the pill and switched to a Mirena. And I'm still plagued!! Any other novel ideas? The fact that I CAN shake it for a bit makes me think it's not dietary or something like laundry detergent, but those are pretty hard to control for also.

Have you been tested to be sure its thrush? There are even some self test kits that work to give an idea.

There are also stronger anti-fungal medications that can be prescribed that your GP might be able to discuss with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Faith have you ever tried acidophilus tablets? Like orally, something like super 8's? I usually get thrush when I take antibiotics (which is a lot every couple of weeks last year)but if I take that 90% of the time I end up with thrush! It's kind expensive €25 a bottle but it's one tablet a day so does last a while. And if it works be with it! (You can actually get acidophilus pessaries aswell)

sullivlo wrote: »
    Have you been tested to be sure its thrush? There are even some self test kits that work to give an idea.

There are also stronger anti-fungal medications that can be prescribed that your GP might be able to discuss with you.

Intermittently, yeah, I've been tested. Mostly in the early days, and now I can identify it with ease. Because I have moved around, I haven't had a reliable GP for years, but I think I'm going to need to speak with one about this if I can't shift it this time :(
    idunno78 wrote: »
    Faith have you ever tried acidophilus tablets? Like orally, something like super 8's? I usually get thrush when I take antibiotics (which is a lot every couple of weeks last year)but if I take that 90% of the time I end up with thrush! It's kind expensive €25 a bottle but it's one tablet a day so does last a while. And if it works be with it! (You can actually get acidophilus pessaries aswell)

Forgot to include that in the list! I've been taking some really strong ones for the past month or so, to no apparent effect! Other than this dose seeming milder than previous ones.

Cerazette made it impossible for me to lose weight too, despite actively trying, and I was only in my early 20s when I tried it. If I'd stayed on it longer than 2 months, I'm quite sure I'd have started gaining weight.

Google brings up more bad reviews than good. I'm feeling more and more that I don't want to be on this. Irrational I know because I haven't even been taking it a week.

Best of luck with the chronic thrush x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Google brings up more bad reviews than good. I'm feeling more and more that I don't want to be on this. Irrational I know because I haven't even been taking it a week.

Best of luck with the chronic thrush x

With any medication change, give it enough time to see what it does for or against you. A month or so should give you an idea, unless the side effects are really bad.

After that, be vocal with your doctor if it is not suitable for you. There may be something better out there, but you have to say something first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

idunno78 wrote: »

Have you a sexual partner that should be treated for it too?

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    Have you a sexual partner that should be treated for it too?

Nope. My husband caught it once or twice, but not in years. I avoid sexy time when I even suspect I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

I posted in here a few months ago about whether or not to take cerazette. Well I started last Saturday. Now I have a spotty chin and am constipated Mind you the old chin was a bit blemishy to begin with and I am prone to bowel problems.

I came off it last June after being on it for about 3 years. I'd been on the combined pill before but that had caused weight gain - literally a stone just fell off me when I came off it!

As for Cerazette, the first two years were grand, periods were pretty regular and I'm prone to a bit of adult acne so didn't connect that to it. The last year though was awful, don't know why it changed but I felt really crap all the time and the over production of sebum was causing really bad spots, like huge, really sore ones. I came off it and feel so much better so I suppose ya just ha e to keep an eye on it. My periods also went a bit mental, like I was spotting g and having two full periods in a month and then nothing for months. Freaked me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

This might not be of any help but I had the most horrendous thrush for about 7 months of my pregnancy nothing would clear it (pessaries/creams/probiotics/change of detergant etc..) i just had to use cream all day everyday. My Dr said if it didn't clear up after the birth the only option would be a 6 month course of antibiotics. Thankfully it did clear up. I'd had it occasionally over the years but nothing like this. I really feel for you if you are dealing with it all the time, find a good GP and keeping going until its sorted. I don't know what the antibiotic was sorry.

Edited to day it was my Gynae that said i would need a 6 month course of antibiotics. I presume she would be more experienced than a GP with this sort of issue so might be worth getting a referral if possible? She also took regular swobs and they never turned up anything serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Regarding the thrush - my friends doctor recommended she sleep without underwear to help the issue.

Sounds crazy but i suppose it also makes sense.

Thanks wuffly! A friend of mine suffered similarly with thrush and was put on a 6-month course of anti fungal meds (is that what you meant?). Hers cleared up after that, but I have noticed that Diflucan (the anti fungal tablet) gives me cold sores :rolleyes:. If it's the only option, I'll do it of course though.

Parchment - I can see the logic in that, but any time I've tried it, my husband has taken it as a sign I'm up for sexy time :D

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

First time posting here.

I'm just after noticing something in relation to a nipple discharge.

I'm dating a lad and things turned intimate. For now a lot of our heated sessions are in his car until we organise something more. With that, some clothes are removed and others remain.

Last week, he dived into my bra and played around with one breast and sucked big time on a nipple. I did find him to be a little rough. Although it was enjoyable and pleasurable it was a little sore and stingy. Later on that night when I got home and I changed from my top and bra, a noticed a small, reddish stain on each.

I didn't think anything of this until now.
    Same thing again tonight. He dived in for the other breast but this time it was much, much better. He wasn't rough this time. There was a slight pinch or sting from him but it didn't last long and he sucked away for a a bit. I'm home now and there's another stain on my bra.

Aside from this, it's all good. My breasts and nipples aren't sore. Leaking/discharge isn't there anymore. Played around myself with my nipples just there, squeezing them and pinching them but there's nothing happening that I can see.

Is this anything I should be worried about? Is it a matter for a doctor? Anybody else experience similar?

First time posting here.

I'm just after noticing something in relation to a nipple discharge.

I'm dating a lad and things turned intimate. For now a lot of our heated sessions are in his car until we organise something more. With that, some clothes are removed and others remain.

Last week, he dived into my bra and played around with one breast and sucked big time on a nipple. I did find him to be a little rough. Although it was enjoyable and pleasurable it was a little sore and stingy. Later on that night when I got home and I changed from my top and bra, a noticed a small, reddish stain on each.

I didn't think anything of this until now.
    Same thing again tonight. He dived in for the other breast but this time it was much, much better. He wasn't rough this time. There was a slight pinch or sting from him but it didn't last long and he sucked away for a a bit. I'm home now and there's another stain on my bra.

Aside from this, it's all good. My breasts and nipples aren't sore. Leaking/discharge isn't there anymore. Played around myself with my nipples just there, squeezing them and pinching them but there's nothing happening that I can see.

Is this anything I should be worried about? Is it a matter for a doctor? Anybody else experience similar?

mod

A reminder to all that medical advice cannot be given.

---

IMO if it's something you're concerned about you should speak to your doctor. It's not something that I have ever personally noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

sullivlo wrote: »
    mod

A reminder to all that medical advice cannot be given.

---

IMO if it's something you're concerned about you should speak to your doctor. It's not something that I have ever personally noticed.

That's true.
    When I saw the stain in my bra last week, followed my another one this week but on the other side, I presumed it came from me and there was some sort of leakage. I had a good poke around yesterday morning, last night and again this morning with some pulling and pinching of my nipples and there's nothing there or coming out. So I haven't a clue what this is and trying to figure it out. For now, I'm going to put it down to some rough play and keep an eye on it and go to the doctor later on down the line if I notice anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Thanks wuffly! A friend of mine suffered similarly with thrush and was put on a 6-month course of anti fungal meds (is that what you meant?). Hers cleared up after that, but I have noticed that Diflucan (the anti fungal tablet) gives me cold sores :rolleyes:. If it's the only option, I'll do it of course though.

You might be right, the Dr said antibiotics but thankfully it cleared up so I didn't have to follow up on it. I remember it being antibiotics as I remember thinking my stomach will be a mess if they are strong. Maybe she meant anti fungal tho..? I would have tried anything to be rid of it.... it was the worst of my preggers side effects(not the right words:eek:) and I was sick everyday for 9 months and had spd for 5 months etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Oh no. I'm worried about the weight gain. I've been on the combined pill in the past and have had no problems with it. I came off it about 18 months ago. I was single at the time but the longer I remained off it the more reluctant I became to start taking synthetic hormones again.

I need a contraceptive and my blood pressure has been high the last two GP visits so cerazette is what I was prescribed. I'm hoping that because past experiences with the combined one was good that this will be the same. The internet is full of mixed reports. One being that weight gain may occur due to an increase in appetite rather than the actual pill itself.

The auld pulling out method just isn't going to cut it anymore so hopefully Cerazette will do the job.

I think it really depends on your body tbh.

I've been on cerazette for about four years now. The first three months, I spotted every single day and got spots and greasy hair.

I persevered eventually and now I've got my usual clear skin, no mood swings, normal hair, and no weight gain (actually I've lost a few stone because I'm also dieting). I also get no periods, which is nice.

I think it really depends on your body tbh.

I've been on cerazette for about four years now. The first three months, I spotted every single day and got spots and greasy hair.

I persevered eventually and now I've got my usual clear skin, no mood swings, normal hair, and no weight gain (actually I've lost a few stone because I'm also dieting). I also get no periods, which is nice.

This is my second week and no spotting. The few on my chin have almost cleared as well.
    Hopefully it's not the calm before the storm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shawzi1911

Hi,

I've been on cerazette 6 months and have noticed my already large chest has increased by a size.

Im slow to change off it as I have no other issues.

Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks
    S

shawzi1911 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been on cerazette 6 months and have noticed my already large chest has increased by a size.

Im slow to change off it as I have no other issues.

Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks
    S

I haven't noticed an boob size increase but they are a bit sore. I'm only on cerazette about three weeks so there may be more "delights" to come :p

Not so much a question but more of a rant about irregular periods. My cycle is ridiculous currently and it has been for a few months. My GP wants to run bloods but in the first 3 days of my cycle. My period arrived this morning. Tomorrow is a bank holiday. Tuesday is extremely busy in work with meetings etc and I have a lecture on Tuesday night.

I don't see how I can get the bloods done in time. Stupid bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I can't even say to go to your local hospital to ask them to run the bloods, as they wouldn't look at you without a) a blood test form from your GP, and b) an appointment. Yay fun </sarcasm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

You could ring the local out of hours doctor service in the morning and ask if they'd take the bloods tomorrow? The only​ thing is it's expensive enough, €75 for a standard visit in my one.

A little update on the old Cerazette.

It's not good :( I'm six weeks in and have almost constant period like pains. The mood swings are the worst. I'm very quick to become angry and agitated along with sudden bouts of sadness. It's horrible so no more cerazette.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

A little update on the old Cerazette.

It's not good :( I'm six weeks in and have almost constant period like pains. The mood swings are the worst. I'm very quick to become angry and agitated along with sudden bouts of sadness. It's horrible so no more cerazette.

Sorry to hear that. Are you looking at other options now?

• Advertisement

neonsofa wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Are you looking at other options now?

I am. Preferably nothing hormonal so will have a chat with the doc about the copper coil.

Advertisement