Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I am. Preferably nothing hormonal so will have a chat with the doc about the copper coil.

Would be interested to hear how you get on. I'm exploring non hormonal myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    Took me about 2 months to settle but didnt have such severe symptoms.

It's really only in the last two weeks I noticed my mood. Last Thursday I felt so depressed. I have the odd bad day but this was different. On Friday I was on top of the world. Spent the past weekend being very emotional. The pains were so bad last night I couldn't sleep properly.

Non hormonal will hopefully be a better fit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

A little update on the old Cerazette.

It's not good I'm six weeks in and have almost constant period like pains. The mood swings are the worst. I'm very quick to become angry and agitated along with sudden bouts of sadness. It's horrible so no more cerazette.

I was getting the pains too, as well as feeling really down in the dumps. Been off hormonal contraception now for nearly a year and feel back to my old self. Using condoms at the mo though :( hopefully you'll find another option soon that suits you better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you sure these symptoms are purely down to hormones? I had a similar experience but with nuvaring, the side effects were horrible, my moods were all over the place. Stopped after 3 months and went back on mercilon, my very first pill and no issues since. Definitely talk to your gp, all hormone based contraception options may not be out.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Are you sure these symptoms are purely down to hormones? I had a similar experience but with nuvaring, the side effects were horrible, my moods were all over the place. Stopped after 3 months and went back on mercilon, my very first pill and no issues since. Definitely talk to your gp, all hormone based contraception options may not be out.

I'm fairly certain. Sudden changes in mood and being very easily wound up isn't at all usual for me. My sex drive has more or less disappeared and I've been having (apologies for the tmi) kind of brown coloured discharge.

I began Cerazette because my doctor was concerned about my blood pressure but really I'd rather not take any hormone type contraception.
    This pack has about two weeks left so I suppose it would be best to finish it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

I began Cerazette because my doctor was concerned about my blood pressure but really I'd rather not take any hormone type contraception. This pack has about two weeks left so I suppose it would be best to finish it out.

I thought the same about finishing the pack but actually stopped with about two weeks left too. Felt better about a week later. Periods went back to normal after about two months and have been regular for the last year. Had been worried cuz I'd been on some kind of pill for 13 years but it was grand. I wouldn't worry too much about finishing the pack but that was just my experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Unless there are medical reasons to have it done I cant imagine why you would be able to get it done through the public system?

I dont think the public system normally covers elective procedures does it?

Particularly not if you try for the NMH as it's against their ethos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Well i do have reasons. I cant use hormonal birth control due to severe migraines, copper coils cant be used either due to pre existing condition of anemia. My gp implied it could be done publicly. I would prefer to do it publicly obviously but will consider having it done privately also.

I want to try it first and see what my GP will say. I know she will support my decision but if her hands are tied i will look for other options.

Of note :Breast reduction can be done publicly in Ireland and its elective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Parchment wrote: »

Of note :Breast reduction can be done publicly in Ireland and its elective.

And sometimes a cure for excessive back pain.

Please let me know details of any gp who will refer you for this procedure.
    I have not been able find one.

Addle wrote: »
    And sometimes a cure for excessive back pain.

Please let me know details of any gp who will refer you for this procedure.
    I have not been able find one.

Well i suppose not being able to have sex properly is affecting my life too. Condoms are not safe enough and we hate them.

I totally acknowledge that breast reduction is done for medical reasons but its elective.

I have no health insurance so its not a choice really - obviously if i can get it done electively i will. I personally find public hospitals great so thats not an issue for me either.

Well its not making me sick but its the best option for me personally for a myriad of reasons i already mentioned. I also was also very unwell with anorexia for a long time - i have osteopenia so even supporting a baby will put my skeleton under stress.

I am happy to try to have it done regardless, i know my gp will back me strongly back me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fieldsforever

I am changing birth control back to Dianette because I lost weight with diet/exercise easier on it and was less hairy on Dianette. Currently, I am on Yasmin which was great for a few months, but now does not help with PCOS symptoms.

The doctor I saw said to take Dianette the first day of my cycle which is the first day of the period. I am reluctant to do this because I would skip a period. I do not want to skip a period; I am very lucky that this period(started today) is exactly on time and happening with ease. Usually, it is five days spotting and four days with very heavy flows. This time, it seems like my period is going to be a steady flow by Friday.

My questions are:
    1. Is it usual for people to start taking a new birth control on the first day of the period, which will cause a skipped period?

2. Will there be negative side effects if I wait until this period ends before I take the new birth control?

I ask because I was pretty skeptical of this doctor. I've had thrust for a while now(tried one dose of fluconazole and the terrible pessary) and she took a smear, second one in a month's time. I asked if it was necessary to have so many samples, if the one that came back only two weeks ago, verifying thrush. She said "I want to send your bugs in again for second opinion." Thrush is not bugs though, it is fungi. I told her that and she rolled her eyes and said "Same difference." There's differences in fungi and bugs. I mean, one's a creature. So yes, I am asking on here as I do not know if I should follow the advice of that strange GP. Her calling fungi bugs happened the same day she told me to take the birth control the first day of my period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The medical advice is always to start the pill on the first day of your period if you want to be protected straight away, otherwise you'll need to use another form of birth control. I didn't skip my period when I started taking the pill though. It was a bit lighter.

If you aren't happy with your GP, then you should find another one. No point in second guessing everything she tells you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You can't ask for medical advice on here op and if you aren't happy with your doctor maybe go to a different one?

You're arguing with someone with at least a decade of medical experience about what word she used to double check your problem....I'd be happy she was that caring instead of being critical, perhaps she just confused the word!

Also it says in the pull out with your pill how to use it if you aren't sure do you could read that or have a look online if you don't have the leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just on the bugs/fungus thing: she could be in the habit of saying 'bug' because some less in-the-know or educated people than you could flip out at the idea of having mushrooms growing in their vagina, but would be familiar with 'having a bug'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fieldsforever

To notjustsweet She is not my usual GP; my usual GP is out of town for a few weeks. Different strokes for different folks. I personally think a healthcare professional should use proper terminology to prevent confusion. The fact that she said "same difference" to yeast and insects led me to believe perhaps she thought yeast and insects are the same.

Not trying to be cheeky here, but I am not asking for guidance or recommendations from a doctor, nurse, or other healthcare professional regarding a person's health or fitness within this thread; I am not asking for medical advice.

1. Is it usual for people to start taking a new birth control on the first day of the period, which will cause a skipped period? As in, is it common for women to start a different pack of birth control pills the first day of their period though it can disrupt the period?

2. Will there be negative side effects if I wait until this period ends before I take the new birth control? I should of re-phrased that. I meant, could there be negative side effects for me or anyone else who starts a different pack of birth control pills after their period oppose to on the first day of their period? As in is there any evidence exhibiting negative or unwanted side effects for people who choose not to disrupt their period by starting a new pack of pills on the first day of the cycle? Increase risk of birth control not working or increase risk of x, y, z. Sharing personal experiences could contribute to the thread as insight, rather than as medical advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I've already answered your question on when to start the pill as as another poster has already pointed out, it is also covered in the information leaflet.

Also bug is commonly used term for bacteria or infection not just used to mean insect.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi fieldsforever

I've moved your thread to the appropriate pre-existing thread.

Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

If you don't start the pill on the first day of your cycle, it's not effective as a contraception for the first week (or maybe more - different pills work differently). If you're concerned you need to speak to your doctor or pharmacist.

And I'm a scientist. I work with bacteria and yeast and I refer to both as "bugs" in general conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Read the literature that comes with your prescription.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The fact that she said "same difference" to yeast and insects led me to believe perhaps she thought yeast and insects are the same.

A 'bug' is a colloquial term to refer to any illness, generally. E.g. "I have a stomach bug", "I feel like I have a bug coming on". It may be used interchangeably to refer to bacterial, viral or fungal infections, generally speaking.

1. Is it usual for people to start taking a new birth control on the first day of the period, which will cause a skipped period? As in, is it common for women to start a different pack of birth control pills the first day of their period though it can disrupt the period?

The standard protocol is to begin a new pill on the first day of your period. This will not immediately end your period, in most cases. Often, it will cause a shorter and lighter period. If you delay starting your pill, you are not contraceptively covered for approximately 7 days from the first day that you take your pill, and you will also alter your cycle by essentially adding a week to it that first month (i.e. 1 week of a period, followed by 4 weeks of a pill, then a few days until your period starts again).
    2. Will there be negative side effects if I wait until this period ends before I take the new birth control? I should of re-phrased that. I meant, could there be negative side effects for me or anyone else who starts a different pack of birth control pills after their period oppose to on the first day of their period? As in is there any evidence exhibiting negative or unwanted side effects for people who choose not to disrupt their period by starting a new pack of pills on the first day of the cycle? Increase risk of birth control not working or increase risk of x, y, z. Sharing personal experiences could contribute to the thread as insight, rather than as medical advice.

See above. There are no long-term concerns, but there are short-term issues around being vulnerable to pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Hi ladies,

I'm looking for anyone who has experience with the copper coil?

I've been recommended it as an option both because it's a non-hormonal contraceptive and it can reduce periods.

I've been looking online and there's a lot of mentions that it actually causes heavier periods which is definitely not what I need!

It's pretty pricey and I'd love to hear from those of you who've tried it before I commit to an appointment / fitting only to need it removed a few months later!

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Yeah, I second the above! My doctor recommended against copper coil because it can cause heavier periods. I went with regular coil in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Yeah, I second the above! My doctor recommended against copper coil because it can cause heavier periods. I went with regular coil in the end.

Thanks ladies, that's what I was afraid of. I can't take hormonal contraception so have been looking into alternatives and someone mentioned the copper coil but when I read up about it it said exactly that about heavier periods.

Mine are bad enough without that so I'll have to try something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Ladies, I'd be very interested to hear of your experience with the mirena coil.

I'm 32, no kids and won't be having them.

I've tried loads of pills from dianette to yazmin all made me bat shít crazy(even more so than the raging pmt I go through every month now).

Any advice/ experience welcome.

Advertisement