Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

SmearQuery wrote: »
    Just looking for advice from anyone who has had LLETZ treatment.
    I'm due to go for a colposcopy soon (routine smear test showed a low grade abnormality and tested positive for high risk HPV). I'm sort of assuming the worst and that I'll need LLETZ treatment. I've heard that sometimes they do the colposcopy and treatment all in the same day.
    I'm wondering if anyone who has had LLETZ treatment could tell me what the side effects were after the treatment and how long they lasted?
    The reason I am asking is that I am due to be taking part in a sporting event that is really important to me 4 days after my appointment. If I'm going to be bleeding heavily but can't wear a mooncup/tampon then I'm going to be in a spot of bother :(
    Also how were your energy levels/general feelings of wellbeing in the days following the treatment?

Any advice much appreciated. I really really don't want to have to drop out of my event. I'm crying even thinking about the whole thing.

I've had lletz twice, it was a few years ago but I felt the same after both. The day of it you will need to go home and rest up with a hot water bottle and do very little, you can get light headed if you don't rest, you should be ok to go into work the next day but if you can at all, from experience, Id take that day off too you might still be a bit crampy. You will have discharge for a few weeks after. Energy wise you should feel fine 4 days after but i found my mood to be very low both times for a week or two after.

I'd suggest ringing and seeing if you can swap your appointment for a week later, I had to do that because I had a family event the day of my appointment and it was fine they were able to and said a week wouldnt make much difference.

Just to add, at my first colposcopy appointment they did a biopsy and I had to wait for the results of that to see if I needed the lletz. If thats the case you will be fine for your event a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fridayfun

I checked online 2 days ago, it said next smear due in three years. Today a letter landed telling me to get in touch with my doctor for the results. I’m absolutely bricking it.

That doesn't make any sense hairyprincess. Either the letter or the online system must of made an error. Hope the online system is correct. let us know what the doctor says. Best of luck. Fingers crossed all will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I checked online 2 days ago, it said next smear due in three years. Today a letter landed telling me to get in touch with my doctor for the results. I’m absolutely bricking it.

I got the same a while back. Didn't check online though, it was the letter that said next test due in 3 years as normal. Think the letter said abnormal results (might be wrong on that) and info attached about what that could mean if I'm remembering correctly. It didn't make sense to me really until I phoned gp. But they explained that my results were abnormal but no hpv so that's why no increased frequency in smears required but because results were abnormal they had to discuss it instead of me getting all clear. If there was hpv then date for next smear would change.
    May be something similar for you. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Finally the doctor rang yesterday evening. I have borderline cells and no hpv. So nothing changes, next smear in three years. I’m not sure how happy I am with that. I’d rather have a smear in 18 months or so to keep a check on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You can arrange your own smear for peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

It will be 3 months on 12th September since I got my smear test done, and when I check online it still says “your results are not available yet”. Absolutely ridiculous!

Double post

whatever99 wrote: »
    It will be 3 months on 12th September since I got my smear test done, and when I check online it still says “your results are not available yet”. Absolutely ridiculous!

Same as, had my smear on the 10th of June. 3 months today and no result. An absolute joke. Why aren't there enough people employed to help clear the backlog?! It's madness. 3 months waiting is far too long. The worry. Especially after all the scandal. Simon Harris should be ashamed of himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Fridayfun wrote: »
    Same as, had my smear on the 10th of June. 3 months today and no result. An absolute joke. Why aren't there enough people employed to help clear the backlog?! It's madness. 3 months waiting is far too long. The worry. Especially after all the scandal. Simon Harris should be ashamed of himself!
    Smear tests are outsourced to America, so it’s not a simple case of employing more people.

Also, for them to return the testing/analysis to Ireland, it would take a few years to get a lab certified and enough people trained up to facilitate the testing. It’s not an automated process - there’s a person behind every microscope and a person involved in every step before it gets to the slide, and after the microscope operator has checked the slide, the process involves a whole host of other people. With the scandal, a) more samples exist so there is a natural backlog and b) there is likely to be a *lot * of double/triple checking, which will add to the backlog.

It’s not ideal.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Smear tests are outsourced to America, so it’s not a simple case of employing more people.

Also, for them to return the testing/analysis to Ireland, it would take a few years to get a lab certified and enough people trained up to facilitate the testing. It’s not an automated process - there’s a person behind every microscope and a person involved in every step before it gets to the slide, and after the microscope operator has checked the slide, the process involves a whole host of other people. With the scandal, a) more samples exist so there is a natural backlog and b) there is likely to be a *lot * of double/triple checking, which will add to the backlog.

It’s not ideal.

Certainly isn't ideal for those waiting especially those who are experiencing symptoms. Such a worrying and anxious time. The smear test aren't just sent to the US. The tests carried out for CervicalCheck are processed in three laboratories. They are MedLab Pathology in Dublin, the Coombe hospital and Quest Diagnostics in the US. Laboratories have brought in extra staff to help clear the backlog but clearly not enough. Hopefully we won't be too much longer waiting. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Money, money, money. Staff cost. Everyone wants it but no one wants to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Had my smear taken on May 29th and got the letter with the all clear yesterday.

That should give you some idea of the timeframe currently involved.

Best of luck to all waiting

Anyone heard anything since? I’m waiting over 3 months now, since 12th June!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

whatever99 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything since? I’m waiting over 3 months now, since 12th June!

I had mine done June 8th. I haven't received the letter yet, but when I checked the cervical check site yesterday it had finally updated to say I don't need another test for 3 years. Hopefully it won't be much longer for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Final update.

Went for the colposcopy last week. I was an hour early because I teared traffic and parking would be a nightmare. Consultant was an hour late so staff all standing around with waiting room filling up as not allowed to start without him.

So, 2 hours later, and they told me that my smear was normal but I was referred as I'd hoped during it. Odd that my GP didn't seem to know that.

Anyway, colposcopy was normal so all good for another 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Smear test today, nurse said no chance of results until the new year. Have had abnormal smears in the past so not very calming.

....... wrote: »
    Final update.

Went for the colposcopy last week. I was an hour early because I teared feared traffic and parking would be a nightmare. Consultant was an hour late so staff all standing around with waiting room filling up as not allowed to start without him.

So, 2 hours later, and they told me that my smear was normal but I was referred as I'd hoped bled during it. Odd that my GP didn't seem to know that.

Anyway, colposcopy was normal so all good for another 3 years.

I just noticed spelling mistakes in my original post above that make it nonsensical, too late for me to edit original now - see clarifications above.

Just checked the online register and finally I’ve got a date for my next screening, which is 3 years from the date I had my smear. Hopefully that means it was clear.

The message also says:

“CervicalCheck suggest you continue with this screening recommendation.

However, you may wish to avail of an early repeat test at this time. You may do so by directly contacting a registered GP Practice of your choice.”

Has anyone else seen this? I’m presuming it’s a standard thing they’ve added since introducing free early smears for everyone, regardless of if they’re due one or not?

For anyone else waiting, I had my smear done on 12th June, so it’s taking ages to come back with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Ladies I have a bit of a complex BC issue and want to rant.

I'm taking the Cerazette for a while for health issues and bc. Two birds, one stone, right? Now while it works wonderfully for my health problems, I feel like a woman in her menopause and I'm not even 30 yet. I have little interest in sex and even worse, my body works against it with dryness and all. I decided I'll stop taking it.
    But what next? I can't take combination pills (estrogen is a no-no due to my issues), no copper devices either, injection not an option, I can't count my cycle because I'm not regular thanks to my issues.

It's a pick between the plague and cholera. I stay on it and continue feeling like sh1t mentally and it'll destroy my intimate relationship or I go off and deal with the problems I previously had where I didn't manage to find another solution that works for my symptoms

I'm done with kids, I have 2. If I go talk to my GP, she will try convincing me to give the Mirena a shot. Now I'm a bit hesitant, because the cost and what if it doesn't work either?

Don't fancy the use of condoms in my relationship for the next 25 years to be honest.

Why oh why is this such a pain to sort out?!

LirW wrote: »

Have you considered the implant? Nexplanon or implanon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Check with your GP if the patch would be suitable for you?

Patch contains estrogen, no option there.

My GP used to work in a big hospital as a women's health consultant and she recommends Mirena over the implant because certain side effects tend to be stronger, since Mirena works locally and in the tiniest doses. She recommends a few months on Cerazette for everyone who considers either since the hormone used is the same but both devices have a way lower dose.
    I have a good relationship with her and she knows my history pretty well, we've talked through all options already.

Patch contains estrogen, no option there.

My GP used to work in a big hospital as a women's health consultant and she recommends Mirena over the implant because certain side effects tend to be stronger, since Mirena works locally and in the tiniest doses. She recommends a few months on Cerazette for everyone who considers either since the hormone used is the same but both devices have a way lower dose.
    I have a good relationship with her and she knows my history pretty well, we've talked through all options already.

I asked my gp about doing this (trying the mini pill before the implant) for the reasons you outline there and she said that there is no point because even though they are the same hormone the effects would be completely different based on other factors. Strange.

I loved the implant fwiw. But I'm also now on mini pill which I find grand too so that probably doesn't help.

neonsofa wrote: »
    I asked my gp about doing this (trying the mini pill before the implant) for the reasons you outline there and she said that there is no point because even though they are the same hormone the effects would be completely different based on other factors. Strange.

I loved the implant fwiw. But I'm also now on mini pill which I find grand too so that probably doesn't help.

I know it's an absolute pain since everything is working so differently for everyone. The pill works fine for my issues but the intimacy suffers which is really disheartening. And all the options I have left cost a good bit of money, so it's not as easy to try it out. That's why I'm so torn.
    I'm really bricking it that my last straw won't work out plus I p1ssed a few hundreds down the drain.

Can your partner have a vasectomy?

....... wrote: »
    Can your partner have a vasectomy?

He's hesitant about it, he's considering it but he's not 100% there yet for a permanent step. That's a topic for a lot of heated arguments but as long as he's not 1000% certain about it, I wouldn't want him to do it either.

He's hesitant about it, he's considering it but he's not 100% there yet for a permanent step. That's a topic for a lot of heated arguments but as long as he's not 1000% certain about it, I wouldn't want him to do it either.

Yes, my husband was similar for a few years before he did it.

Of course now that he has experienced the difference in himself, and in me, he wishes he had had it done 10 years ago!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cerazette was a nightmare for me (similar issues that you describe), but I've had the Mirena for 3 years now and I absolutely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Hey ladies, booked in for mirena removal next week and slightly unnerved that the receptionist said it's a double appointment as removal can take awhile D: now I'm no wimp but I don't fancy too much digging around in my cervix.
    Anyone have experience with this? Hoping majority is that it was one swift tug and done!!
    We are planning on trying for a baby, I've heard the mirena is the best for not mucking up your hormones too much, would appreciate any personal experiences with trying to conseive after mirena, how long etc.
    Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Cerazette was a disaster for me and since I got Mirena I haven't had a single issue. Took me a while to psych myself up to get it but would give it a shot if I was you. It does seem pricey upfront but it lasts 3 years.

I'm taking the Cerazette for a while for health issues and bc. Two birds, one stone, right? Now while it works wonderfully for my health problems, I feel like a woman in her menopause and I'm not even 30 yet. I have little interest in sex and even worse, my body works against it with dryness and all. I decided I'll stop taking it.
    But what next? I can't take combination pills (estrogen is a no-no due to my issues), no copper devices either, injection not an option, I can't count my cycle because I'm not regular thanks to my issues.

It's a pick between the plague and cholera. I stay on it and continue feeling like sh1t mentally and it'll destroy my intimate relationship or I go off and deal with the problems I previously had where I didn't manage to find another solution that works for my symptoms

I'm done with kids, I have 2. If I go talk to my GP, she will try convincing me to give the Mirena a shot. Now I'm a bit hesitant, because the cost and what if it doesn't work either?

Don't fancy the use of condoms in my relationship for the next 25 years to be honest.

Why oh why is this such a pain to sort out?!

Advertisement