Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All,
    I received an invitation letter for a cervical check. It's my first one and I'm a little nervous because I recently moved to Maynooth and I don't know any of the Doctors. I wonder whether anyone recommends any particular Dr's surgery? Would it be worth travelling to Newbridge to go to the Women's Health Centre there?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Hey everybody :) Looking for some contraception advice.

Was given Cilest by my Dr. to regulate time of month and for contraception almost three years ago. A few months ago, a friend informed me that Cilest was one of the strongest forms of contraception and I became a little worried about it, so decided to ask for a change (despite not having had any issues with it). Asked a stand in Dr. for something a little milder and he prescribed Microlite. After a months break, I started it. After three months on Microlite, my skin is worse than it has ever been. I've never really gotten spots but my face is covered and I'm fed up. :(

Is it worth waiting it out another while incase things improve, should I ask for a third kind, or am I better off coming off it altogether for a while to give my system a break? I'd really rather not to the latter as I rely on it as my sole form of contraception =/

Any advice is helpful :)

Hang on your dr was happy to have you on Cilest, which is a well proven 3rd generaton oral contraceptive and your friend put you off it?
    Did you have any side effects you were concerned about?
    Nevermind your mate were you happy on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Sharrow wrote: »
    Hang on your dr was happy to have you on Cilest, which is a well proven 3rd generaton oral contraceptive and your friend put you off it?
    Did you have any side effects you were concerned about?
    Nevermind your mate were you happy on it?

Nurse in the college told my friend that cilest and dianette were very strong and most girls wouldnt be put on them. Although I didnt have side effects, I dont think I needed to be on the strongest one out there. I'd rather not be unnecessarily pumping extra hormones into my body.

My doctor is a moron, didnt ask me any questions, didnt take my blood pressure or weight or anything, asked had I been recommended any from friends, I said yes and named yasmenile (sorry, havent a notion how thats spelled), and he wrote out the prescription for cilest on the spot. Hes a man, about to retire, and admittedly not an 'expert'. Hence my anxiety about cilest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

have been having pains that have been getting worse over the past year. Twice my doctor sent me to casualty and I was sent home telling me it was my uterus contracting ( I had a baby a year ago) ISnce then I have been ignoring the pains. Until now a year after giving birth the pains are so bad I will moan aloud in agony. I can only compare the pain to contractions...

Anyway so I sadly missed my last day at college and all the goodbyes cos I was in such pain today and so I went otmy doctor who said I should of had a scan and this time to not leave without a scan or swabs been takin at casualty.

So finally something got done. I seem to have all the symptoms for endometriosis and it is an illness that has been suggested I have since my early teens yet never further investigated. Just took pain killers and the pill to control. Now that I have thyroid problem I dont take the pill which I assume is now making my pains more noticable.

Anyway my quibble is this, I explained my pain and how I took a day off college because i was in crippling pain. Yesterday I doubled over in a shop the pain was so bad. At home I sometimes feel the need to get on all fours till the pain has passed, Yet today they take my swabs and tell me I will recieve an appointment in 2 weeks for a scan. There is a history of cancer in family ovarian and breast. I did have a PAP a year ago which was clear as well as a mamogram.

The DR told me I may need key hole surgery but cant confirm until after the scan and I will have to wait a further 2 weeks to get my results and be assesed further. Is this normal? I was given a pain killer of some sort that I was told to take on day 1 to 3 of my period and that was that. Is this really as good as it gets or should I of pushed thi further. I start a new job this monday and really dont want this interfereing with my work... but it is going to right!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm actually going in for key hole surgery on Monday to see if I have endometriosis (and I am terrified. Even though up until now I've been like meh who cares:eek:). But anyway!

The scans take ages to get unless you want to go to a private hospital, which I had to do because I was waking up in the night with pain that was basically contractions and I really needed to do something about it. There was nothing on the scan, but the thing is the only thing that shows up on the scans is ovarian cysts, you won't see patches of endometriosis or adhesions and thats why they do the keyhole surgery with the camera so they can see.

The trick to managing the pain is take the pill the second you feel even a twinge. If you let it get any further than that you might as well just give up and stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

I'm actually going in for key hole surgery on Monday to see if I have endometriosis (and I am terrified. Even though up until now I've been like meh who cares:eek:). But anyway!

The scans take ages to get unless you want to go to a private hospital, which I had to do because I was waking up in the night with pain that was basically contractions and I really needed to do something about it. There was nothing on the scan, but the thing is the only thing that shows up on the scans is ovarian cysts, you won't see patches of endometriosis or adhesions and thats why they do the keyhole surgery with the camera so they can see.

The trick to managing the pain is take the pill the second you feel even a twinge. If you let it get any further than that you might as well just give up and stay at home.

Oh I would love ot hear back on how you get on and what happens. I am in Galway for it. Been waiting forever kept being sent home with its "after pains" finally after a word from my GP they are doing this. I got pushed up the ladder will have scan for definite in 2 weeks according to the Gynae I saw. And will see from there. yeah I was same as you kinda like watever get over it a few pains as I curl into a ball and hold myself together, I cant hide it anymore, it has gone past that now.... way past it!

So now yeah I am a little freaked out :S

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pernilla

Hi all,

looking for some advice on the coil, i'm currently on the pill but want to stop taking it, can anyone give me a rough estimate on the cost, procedure and experiences?

thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

Hi all,

Just a question - anyone know when they are ovulating? Do ye suffer? and if so what do you feel like around that time?

For me im just getting over the bas****s! when i start ovulating pains in side, bloating, back pain, discharge(tmi) its just terrible for the guts of a week but also major moods happy one minute kill ya the next - i never had this until my 3rd was born. Anyone similar? just does'nt seem normal? I have about 1 weekish in the month where im not in pain :mad:

Thanks Again

xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Morgase wrote: »
    Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to give my experience of the Mirena coil in case anyone is still iffy about getting it done.

I got the coil fitted on Tuesday afternoon. It was so much easier than I thought it would be!

I had a consultation at the Well Woman clinic in Pembroke Road a few weeks ago, where the doctor prescribed (along with Ponstan, the coil itself, and Cytotec) some Xanax for me to take before the fitting to help calm myself.

The fitting itself took only a couple of minutes, and there was hardly any pain - a slight pinch. After that, it was occasional pain (just like normal period pain) for the rest of the day.

It's not even been 48 hours for me and I have no pain whatsoever. I'm so happy that I don't have to think about contraception for a whole FIVE YEARS! :D

Anyway, if you want to ask me specific questions in this thread while it's all fresh in my mind - please do.
    Morgase wrote: »
    I'm a poor student too, so know how you feel. I saved up for it, it cost me in total:
    50 for initial consult (student price, instead of 55)
    180 for fitting
    120 for coil and the associated medication (using drug payment scheme card)

When you balance it out it works out economic, when you consider how much one spends per month on the pill and doctors.

Hello ladies,

I thought I'd give those of you who are looking for info on the coil an update on my situation.

So what can you expect after fitting? I bled for about 9 days after the fitting (it was mostly spotting after the first couple of days) and then about four weeks later had a normal period which lasted a week. I was completely clear (i.e. no bleeding) outside of those days.

As you might know, you need to have a checkup within a couple of months after fitting. So I had my checkup yesterday. The checkup involved the doctor using a speculum to check that everything was still ok. She also trimmed the strings that hang down from the cervix aswell.

The doctor did say that most women do experience random bleeding / spotting for the first few weeks (or even couple of months) after fitting so I was slightly unusual in having fallen into a pattern immediately. She said that she would expect the next period to be lighter and eventually the periods would hopefully then stop altogether.

I did experience the odd twinge of discomfort at random times over the past few weeks but I was told this is normal. Of course, what's normal for me may not be for you, so make sure to check with your own doctor!

Overall though, it is amazing. If pregnancy is an absolute no-no for you, and you're not concerned about STI's, this is the business. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all,

Just a question - anyone know when they are ovulating? Do ye suffer? and if so what do you feel like around that time?

For me im just getting over the bas****s! when i start ovulating pains in side, bloating, back pain, discharge(tmi) its just terrible for the guts of a week but also major moods happy one minute kill ya the next - i never had this until my 3rd was born. Anyone similar? just does'nt seem normal? I have about 1 weekish in the month where im not in pain

Thanks Again

xxx

Well I've never had kids but over the past 3 years i've had ovulation pain (i'm 26, never had it before this), i usually just get sharp twinges of pain either in my right or left side (depending on the ovary i guess) its not major pain by any means more very mild discomfort, and a dull ache in my lower back, only for a day or 2, and get a ahem jelly like discharge tmi lol, so i always know when i'm ovulating which is handy i guess, i was diagnosed with a tiny tiny tiny cyst on one of my ovaries a few years ago so maybe this has something to do with it maybe not. I used to get really bad mood swings a week before my period but evening primrose/starflower oil capsules sorted that out, can't recommend it enough! (seems to shorten my cycle by a day or 2 though but i'll take that over the mood swings!)

ovulation pain is common enough i believe but if you're in a lot of pain though its definitely not normal, think you really should go see a doctor, could be something as simple as a cyst, or hormone imbalance but def get it checked out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

Just wondering does anyone know if it's necessary to take the placebo pill that's given with some pills for the week of your period? Or are they just there to keep you in the habit of actually taking your pill?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi All,
    I received an invitation letter for a cervical check. It's my first one and I'm a little nervous because I recently moved to Maynooth and I don't know any of the Doctors. I wonder whether anyone recommends any particular Dr's surgery? Would it be worth travelling to Newbridge to go to the Women's Health Centre there?
    Thanks

Are you talking about Sahar in the Grange in Newbridge? If you are then I'd recommend her 100% absolutely lovely to deal with, been going to her for close to three years now, lovely woman, very professional but friendly, very very patient and interested in overall welfare of her patients as opposed to just the "womens stuff" side of things.

Her secretary is great too.
    pernilla wrote: »
    Hi all,

looking for some advice on the coil, i'm currently on the pill but want to stop taking it, can anyone give me a rough estimate on the cost, procedure and experiences?

thank you !

Are you talking about the traditional copper coil or an IUS like the Mirena?
    Just wondering does anyone know if it's necessary to take the placebo pill that's given with some pills for the week of your period? Or are they just there to keep you in the habit of actually taking your pill?

You'd probably be best checking with your pharmacist/doctor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Ladies I've been on the pill for almost 6 years solid and need a break!
    I know I should have taken one ages ago but it just never suited.

Is there any other contraception other then condoms or the diaphram that are not hormone based? All I can think of is all these extra hormones being pumped into me for the last 6 years. Not good! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

here's a link to all the available forms of female contraception.i'd imagine discussing with your gp which one suits you would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Ladies I've been on the pill for almost 6 years solid and need a break!
    I know I should have taken one ages ago but it just never suited.

Is there any other contraception other then condoms or the diaphram that are not hormone based? All I can think of is all these extra hormones being pumped into me for the last 6 years. Not good! :(

I think they all contain hormones of some kind.

You could try something like the patch or the nuva ring to see how you get on with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The IUCD the plain old copper coil does not have hormoanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Yep I've kinda been looking into the non hormonal contraceptives, can't believe they all have it! have to stay away from hormonal ones cause apparently that's what I'm allergic to. so it looks like the copper coil, the female condom and the diaphragm are the only options. The coil seems like a good idea, as it lasts for up to 5 years, but at the same time, and this may be a little ignorant of me, releasing a mineral into your system for 5 years seems a little unusual. i must read up more on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yep I've kinda been looking into the non hormonal contraceptives, can't believe they all have it! have to stay away from hormonal ones cause apparently that's what I'm allergic to. so it looks like the copper coil, the female condom and the diaphragm are the only options. The coil seems like a good idea, as it lasts for up to 5 years, but at the same time, and this may be a little ignorant of me, releasing a mineral into your system for 5 years seems a little unusual. i must read up more on it.

Copper coil is recommended to be changed every three years, not five, see Irish Family Planning Clinic The Mirena (IUS) needs changing every five.

You should potentially chat to your doctor to see if progesterone only contraceptives might suit you, as opposed to the combined pill, a lot of people have problems with combined contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've been prescribed mild antibiotics to combat some minor acne problems, called Tetralysal.
    I've heard somewhere that you can't have anything waxed when you're on skin antibiotics. Is this true? What might happen? I was thinking of getting everything in the bikini department waxed...but I'm afraid now because of the antibiotics.:(
    Any info anyone??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I've been prescribed mild antibiotics to combat some minor acne problems, called Tetralysal.

Any info anyone??:)

Hi,

I'm on tetralysal too and I specifically asked my dr about what kind of effects this would have on my skin with regard to hair removal and she said she has never come across an instance where it caused any extra skin irritation due to waxing, creams etc.

She did mention though, which I found quite weird, that if you take this antibiotic and a oral contraceptive pill, then by the second month of antibiotic taking the pill will be back to normal effectiveness.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm on tetralysal too and I specifically asked my dr about what kind of effects this would have on my skin with regard to hair removal and she said she has never come across an instance where it caused any extra skin irritation due to waxing, creams etc.

She did mention though, which I found quite weird, that if you take this antibiotic and a oral contraceptive pill, then by the second month of antibiotic taking the pill will be back to normal effectiveness.

as in the pill will work as normal, or the antibiotic will work as normal??

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

as in the contraceptive pill will be back to normal effectiveness after that month even if you are still taking the antibiotic.

Bearing in mind that this was for my particular situation and combination of pills.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    as in the pill will work as normal, or the antibiotic will work as normal??
    tbh, you'd be best checking with your doctor, there is a fierce amount of debate online about antibiotics and their effect on the pill, best ask your doctor to confirm it, you could just telephone and ask for them to call you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Hi ladies,

Just a quick query to see how much you pay for the Implanon?

I rang 3 different clinics yesterday and they all came in with different costs:

Well Woman Clinic, Liffey Street - €350 :eek:
    Major Street Clinic, IFSC €90
    Ballyowen Primacare Clinic €100

How can the Well Woman charge so much more than the other two clinics? They said I'd need a consultation, get a script to get the device and then come back and it would be inserted in total costing €350.

The other two clinics include the cost of the device and inserting it....

How much do you pay for your Implanon and have you had any negative side effects?

I'm booked in tomorrow anyways in the Primecare Clinic to get it done, looking forward not to have to worry about the pill (which I dont like or taken for a long time) or condoms!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hiya niamh4626,

As there's a whole thread on such matters here, I've moved your post. :cool:

Stheno wrote: »
    tbh, you'd be best checking with your doctor, there is a fierce amount of debate online about antibiotics and their effect on the pill, best ask your doctor to confirm it, you could just telephone and ask for them to call you back?

Not actually on the pill tbh, thinking of getting the implanon during the summer. I'll check it out with the doctor anyway. I'd very much like to able to keep my skin clear, and have a reliable contraceptive at the same time. Not sure about the whole implanon combined with antibiotics scenario! For the moment, I'm happy that my antibiotics won't affect hair removal. :)

Thanks for the help!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

hey just looking for some reassurance- i have been on the pill for a few years now and was prescribed it by the on-campus doc (free), i've finished college and just reached the end of my pack.
    i applied for my medical card a while ago in the hope that it'd arrive before i was due to get a new prescription but no such luck. seeing as i cant afford a consultation with my local GP (would be needed as i havent been there in years) would i be ok to just skip this month and start back again once my medical card arrives? obviously on the right day of my cycle etc, but would this be a problem?
    hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Hey ladies

I've been on the pill for nearly 3 years now, was on Yasminelle until just before Christmas just gone and then switched to Ovranette because Yasminelle was costing too much and my periods were still really heavy on it.

I'm on my 3rd strip of Ovranette now and just weighed myself and I've put on half a stone in about 3 weeks!

I wouldn't mind if I'd been eating crap and lying about or anything, but I've been eating really healthily, recently started a new job and cos we can only drink water at our desks, I've been drinking 2 500ml bottles of water during the day plus other glasses of water here there and everywhere. I've been powerwalking from the bus stop to work (about a ten minute power walk, 20 mins walking normally) and in general, since I got a job I've kinda got my act together.

This weight has just come out of f-ing nowhere and I'm raging cos it's almost like I was better off eating shortbread and spending hours on the couch watching telly.

Has anyone switched to Ovranette from a light dosage pill (Yasminelle is 20 micrograms ethinyl estradiol and 3 mg drospirenone/ Ovranette is 30mcg ethinylestradiol and 150mcg levonorgestrel) and noticed the weight gain thing?

I'm already trying to lose weight as it is, I don't need this yoke putting weight on me as well. Another thing I'm wondering is could it be fluid retention, I know that's another side effect of the pill.

I'd heard Ovranette was the miracle pill, so I'm a bit pissed off that this is happening tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've been on Ovranette for a good while now and I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. I think pills can affect people differently, so maybe you should speak to your GP about it. Perhaps you need to change to something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Novella wrote: »
    I've been on Ovranette for a good while now and I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. I think pills can affect people differently, so maybe you should speak to your GP about it. Perhaps you need to change to something else.

She'll probably make me stay on it for the six months but I am in my arse putting on more weight.

It's that stupid thing of the one time I'm actually making a conscious effort to lose weight I put on nearly half a feckin stone. :mad:

Advertisement