Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

She'll probably make me stay on it for the six months but I am in my arse putting on more weight.

It's that stupid thing of the one time I'm actually making a conscious effort to lose weight I put on nearly half a feckin stone. :mad:

Don't let her make you stay on it! I was on a different kind of medication that made me gain weight... Well, it made me feel like I was starving all the time so I ate more but ya know... It just sucks. Actually, my boobs became way bigger when I started on Ovranette, but mine were tiny so I didn't complain! I guess you could stay on it for another month and see if it settled down, but if you're unhappy, ask to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Quick (and possibly silly) question, if you are still a virgin but over 25 should you go for a smear test anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Quick (and possibly silly) question, if you are still a virgin but over 25 should you go for a smear test anyway?

Doubt there'd be any harm anyway!
    Not all the checks would be related to whether you've had sex or not, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Definitely get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

liliq wrote: »
    Doubt there'd be any harm anyway!
    Not all the checks would be related to whether you've had sex or not, as far as I know.

yes it would do harm. they won't do it if you're still a virgin. but just to make sure run it by your doctor. he/she will tell you if you need to have it done and can have it done.

• Advertisement

I am not sexually active; do I need a smear test?

CervicalCheck invites all women between the ages of 25 and 60 for cervical screening. But if you have never been sexually active with a man or woman, then the research evidence shows that your chance of developing cervical cancer is low. We do not say there is no risk, only a very low risk. In these circumstances, you might choose to decline the invitation for cervical screening on this occasion. If you are not currently sexually active but have had partners in the past, then we would recommend that you continue screening.

This is copied and pasted directly from cervicalcheck.ie.
    Cervical cancer is usually caused by the Human Papilloma virus, and is mostly, but not exclusively, passed through sex. So, while the chances of contracting the virus as a virgin are extremely low, they are not zero.

Either way OP, if you've been sent a letter, there may be a contact number that you could call for advice? There is a freephone info line on the cervicalcheck.ie website also. Or as previously mentioned, ask the GP for guidance!

Hey,

Not sure whether to post here or in PI so mods please feel free to move.

I wanted to skip my period last month so I took two packs of Yasminelle back to back. The most recent pack I took I was forgetful a few times and had to take two pills together at once on a number of occasions. Me and my boyfriend always use a condom and always check it after to make sure, and as far as we know everything has been "contained", for want of a better word! :)

I stopped my second pack of Yasminelle on Monday, and I would normally get my period early in the morning 2 days later, which would have been yesterday, and have always done, like clockwork since I started the pill. I was on a break from the pill for about 6-8 months and only went back on it in November, so this would be my fourth month on it.

I still haven't got my period and I am worried, I know the past month has been pretty stressful for me too I have a lot going on in my life and have been under stress so maybe that's it. Is it normal for your period to be late if you take two pill packs together and don't take the pill correctly in the second month?

Appreciate any advice as I am quite worried, thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you are worried take a test?

hiya, ya i intend to take one, I don't know if its too soon though, I asked my doctor on Monday when I was there what I should expect and she said it could take anything up to 5 days. I didn't do a test then as I had only just taken my last pill that day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hiya, ya i intend to take one, I don't know if its too soon though, I asked my doctor on Monday when I was there what I should expect and she said it could take anything up to 5 days. I didn't do a test then as I had only just taken my last pill that day.

I think it's the Clearblue tests that say they can track it from the day you miss your period, you'd have to check with a pharmacist.

Tbh if you've talked to your doctor, then take their advice, rather than any over the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Hi all,

wondering if anyone has any experience with weight gain while using the Mirena IUS? I've been using the Nuvaring since last June and have admitted it's finally time to come off it-the hormones are making me incredibly anxious and depressed. However, while I've been using it I've lost loads of weight (nearly 2 stone) partly due to working full-time but I reckon the Nuvaring has played a big role as my eating habits have not changed at all and the loss has been effortless.

Has anyone who has used Mirena experienced drastic weight gain? I know it's quite a shallow concern but it would be one of the deciding factors for me. I'm probably going to take a break of a few months from hormonal contraceptives but would like to be prepared!

Ninaluna wrote: »
    Has anyone who has used Mirena experienced drastic weight gain?

Not me, nor any of the women I know of who have it, but of course everybody can be affected differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Nope and I've been loosing weight over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bigbudda

hey guys

quick question...
    as i have epilespy turns out the only option for me is the coil...reading up on it is scaring me off though!! i'm only 21...no kids and they say its best for people who gave birth...

anyone had it before???

i sound silly but can you feel it during sex??:confused:

worried!!!

So, a regular user but going unreg for this one.

Before I start, mods, I am aware that this is not a medical forum and that only a doctor can provide sound medical advice, but this is more of a general female query really.

So basically, last week I had sex for the first time. I'm 22, so a bit of a late bloomer but I'm glad I waited, it was a lovely experience, much better than I was expecting.

I was extremely careful, I am on the pill (yasminelle) and we used a condom as well. Anyway, that was Wednesday and my pill finished on Friday night. Normally it takes about 24-48 hrs. after finishing the pill for my period to kick in. However, it is now Monday and still no sign of the period.

What I basically want to know is this: is it a common experience for any of you, that your period was later than usual after your first time?

I know that you are not considered technically 'late' until 10 days after your period is due, but it would give me some peace of mind to know if this is a common thing.

Obviously, I will wait a week and if it still hasn't started I will go to the doctor, but has this happened for any of you ladies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

yes it would do harm. they won't do it if you're still a virgin. but just to make sure run it by your doctor. he/she will tell you if you need to have it done and can have it done.

what harm would it do?

why do you state as fact that they wont do it and then introduce uncertainty by saying to check with the doctor if it can be done?

virgins can and do get smear tests.

bigbudda wrote: »
    hey guys

quick question...
    as i have epilespy turns out the only option for me is the coil...reading up on it is scaring me off though!! i'm only 21...no kids and they say its best for people who gave birth...

anyone had it before???

i sound silly but can you feel it during sex??:confused:

worried!!!

Do a search through this thread and you'll find a wealth of info on the coil.

Neither you or your partner can feel it during sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

sam34 wrote: »
    what harm would it do?

why do you state as fact that they wont do it and then introduce uncertainty by saying to check with the doctor if it can be done?

virgins can and do get smear tests.

Because every response in here is laiden with 'ask your doctor' likely due to boards not wanting to take responsibility for incorrect information given out. My experience of it was that they wouldn't do it if my hymen was still in tact, but obviously I can't account for every doctor, so maybe it varies depending on the doctor. I don't know. I was saying that was my experience of it, but in case it does vary, she should ask her own doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Hey ladies,

Visited my GP to talk about contraception. She suggested the injection or the implant.

Anyone tried either of them? I don't really like the idea of the bar in my arm. Is it really sore? Does it hurt if you hit off something?

Also with the injection, she said that your period usually disappears altogether. Is it not a bit weird not having it? Do you not wonder if you could be pregnant if it doesn't arrive ? :eek:

Any help greatly appriciated :)

Hey Perri Winkles,

I used the injection for a couple of years and found it great- after a few months my periods did stop, and I did find it a bit weird, but I suppose I got used to it after a while!
    It was great not having to remember to take a pill etc., cos I used to be awful for forgetting!

I was told to come off it after a while though, as prolonged use (I think 2+ years) was/is thought to contribute to the development of osteoporosis. (I was sent for a bone density scan every once in a while to check that that wasn't an issue).

If you've used any progesterone only contraceptive pill (POP) before and it didn't suit you, be wary of the injection as well, as the Depo injection is progesterone only as well.

I don't really know anything about the implant, never got it as I got on so well with the injection for the time I was on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Hey ladies,

Visited my GP to talk about contraception. She suggested the injection or the implant.

Anyone tried either of them? I don't really like the idea of the bar in my arm. Is it really sore? Does it hurt if you hit off something?

Also with the injection, she said that your period usually disappears altogether. Is it not a bit weird not having it? Do you not wonder if you could be pregnant if it doesn't arrive ? :eek:

Any help greatly appriciated :)

Hi, ive used both, i have the implant now, no implant dosent hurt, i was a bit brusied for a day or 2 but then i bruise like a peach anyway. Tbh its a god send not having a period, i used to spend 5 days a monty tanked up on feminax and ponstan. I changed after a year on the injection, injection was grand just had to make sure i had an apointment booked to go ack to get it in 10 weeks time, the midwife does the injection in the surgery i go to and was always a nightmare to get an apointment with her, since she did all the baby vacs and stuff aswell

hope that helps
    if youve any other questions feel free to pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Thanks psycho hope and lilliq!

THink Im going to give the injection a whirl. I dunno just the idea of anyone hitting off my arm with the implant is making me shudder. I'm such a baby :o

I was terrible with the pill too lilliq, never took it at the same times and usually forgot a couple in every pack oops! efo the injection sounds like a good one thanks for the replies :)

THink Im going to give the injection a whirl. I dunno just the idea of anyone hitting off my arm with the implant is making me shudder. I'm such a baby :o

I was terrible with the pill too lilliq, never took it at the same times and usually forgot a couple in every pack oops! efo the injection sounds like a good one thanks for the replies :)

If you are anyway slim you may feel the implant in your arm.

I get the injection every 12 weeks and have no periods (which I am convinced is great as I used get a week of hell) I've been on it over ten years, have regular bone scans and am fine, as long as you have a good doctor with it, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

But sure it's on the inside of your upper arm - it's a really awkward spot for stuff to hit off, you'd have to be actually trying to knock it off something. Obviously go with whatever you're more comfortable with, but if that's the only reason putting you off the implant don't let it, you really don't notice it's there after a while.

Because every response in here is laiden with 'ask your doctor' likely due to boards not wanting to take responsibility for incorrect information given out. My experience of it was that they wouldn't do it if my hymen was still in tact, but obviously I can't account for every doctor, so maybe it varies depending on the doctor. I don't know. I was saying that was my experience of it, but in case it does vary, she should ask her own doctor.

Check the earlier post here from the cervical check site, they do do the test and recommend it.

Best option imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Stheno wrote: »
    If you are anyway slim you may feel the implant in your arm.

I get the injection every 12 weeks and have no periods (which I am convinced is great as I used get a week of hell) I've been on it over ten years, have regular bone scans and am fine, as long as you have a good doctor with it, you should be fine.

Im in no way slim and i can feel the implant:D apperently if you cant feel it its been put in wrong, should be just under the skin

you shouldnt be stating something as definitive if you dont actually know that it is.

you've said it would cause harm for a virgin to have a smear test. what harm would it do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How would the procedure be performed if the woman had an intact hymen? Well without stretching/breaking same. Plus what would the medical worth be of doing the procedure when the statistics for cervical cancer in virgins are so low?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Most female virgins in this country probably don't have intact hymens though, sex is far from the only thing that will break a hymen, so that would usually be a non- issue.

Also- penetrative sex is not definitively the only way that HPV (the virus that causes cervical cancer) is transmitted (Not a great reference, but here's a collection of abstracts on various studies that have been carried out http://www.health-science-report.com/alotek/topics1/article51/). I suppose that would be the medical worth?
    Of course, there is a much smaller chance of contracting the HPV virus as a virgin, but it's down to each individual to decide whether they want to avail of the service or not.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    How would the procedure be performed if the woman had an intact hymen? Well without stretching/breaking same. Plus what would the medical worth be of doing the procedure when the statistics for cervical cancer in virgins are so low?

it would be performed the exact same way and would break the hymen.

so what?

many virgins will have had their hymens broken by exercise, tampon use, masturbation etc anyway, and even for those that dont, a broken hymen isnt exactly something that's dangerous or of medical concern.

saying a smear test would do harm to a virgin is baseless scaremongering.

Advertisement