Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

ive been on cerazette for a while now and i love it! i tried a few different pills and kept getting migraines but this has stopped that also no periods = a perfect world for me!

That's what they took me off my other pills for! That and spots, which I'm still trying to get rid of! If it fixes the migraines that'll be great and I sure as hell wouldn't miss periods! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 madi79

Interesting threads on this. I had the coil fitted 10 days ago and it was a bit of an experience. I've never had kids and I do think this makes it a bit more painful, but overall it was quite an uncomfortable experience, the pain was like a very severe period cramp that went on for about 20 minutes - the doctor had to get another doctor to fit it as she couldnt get it in - so go to someone who has a lot of experience fitting it.
    Afterwards my mum was bringing me home and i was in the car 5 minutes before I vomitted (on the side of the road) - the pain was so intense. I was very faint and went straight home to bed with a hot water bottle and strong painkillers - the doctor gave me ponstan.
    The cramps lasted a good five days and since then everyday bar maybe one, I have had moments of intense cramps. It's worrying also to read other peoples side effects - weight gain, depression, back pain - I have a history of all these, but the doctor never mentioned them to me - I went to a reputable well woman clinic in Dublin south city centre.
    Just be warned and do your research. If my pain continues I will be calling the doc!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Did you have the copper coil inserted or the IUS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

If you are very worried you should contact the clinic- Im sure they will reassure you. I had the merina fitted 3 years ago and for a good few weeks after I was in pain on and off. I also bled alot and at times thought that I had made a big mistake but after the initial maybe 3-4 months I stopped having periods and never have pain of any sort. I didnt get any moodier:D and didnt have any other adverse effects. I think its fantastic and would recommend it in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wondering on peoples thoughts,
    I have a great rapport with my GP, she's very kind/friendly to me but i feel very weird about going to her with 'ladygarden' problems, it's not that i'm embarrased, but it kinda feels like showing my bits to a friend or my mum or something! So instead i go to another GP with ladygarden issues, who's also very good but a bit cold/stern and it just makes it easier tbh. They're both in the same surgery so they have access to my records and what not. But i told my friend the other day and she thought it was a bit weird, she also made the (good) point that if i happened to have an illness they'd be more likely to pick up on it if i was going to the same GP for everything? Also i'm wondering if my own gp would think i was being a bit weird not going to her for smears and the like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,120 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Have it badly at the moment any tips or advice or cures please

Thrush
    Have it badly at the moment any tips or advice or cures please

You can get over the counter stuff for it like canesten cream, but that only takes away external symptoms it doesn't actually cure it afaik, if it's a bad infection you should probably go to the doctor and get a prescription you may need something stronger or it'll keep coming back. They usually give you a single tablet to take, think it's called diflucan or something which clears up the infection in a few days :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 immachickbtw

I use the pill as my sole form of contraception and so far so good *knocks on wood* :pac:

*knocks on wood too :D

Hoping someone here has advice that could help other than get it taken out...

Got the implant just over a year ago, got a period for about two weeks then have had nothing since, until about 3 weeks ago, then i had very heavy bleeding for a week all of a sudden, but then it stopped, had read up about it and heard that this sometimes happened so figured itd probably be fine and id go back to having nothing.

But then yesterday morning when i got up out of bed, well not to be too graphic but there was just a flood of blood, it was awful and ive been bleeding since, i think its just a normal amount of blood that i would have had when i was having my period before the implant, cant really remember to be honest but just wondering has anyone else had experience of this, it just seems strange that i went without a period for so long and now i've had two in three weeks, hoping this happened to someone else and then it just went back to nothing!

any advice would be appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 holly23

Help please. I went for my first smear test today, but couldnt got through with it. nurse tried 4 times. I wouldnt let her complete it. I was too tense. I am so disappointed with myself. please help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 immachickbtw

holly23 wrote: »
    Help please. I went for my first smear test today, but couldnt got through with it. nurse tried 4 times. I wouldnt let her go in. I was too tense. I am so disappointed with myself. please help.

I don't know how to help but thought I'd let you know you're not alone. I haven't even made an appointment so you've one up on me, well done :) Maybe next time eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

Help please. I went for my first smear test today, but couldnt got through with it. nurse tried 4 times. I wouldnt let her go in. I was too tense. I am so disappointed with myself. please help.

Hi I don't know if this is any help but I've had a similar situation when I was going through hospital issues. But then I just had to close my eyes and think they are here for a reason and I'm here for a reason, they are not here to judge, they are here to help me and make sure that I'm healthy and happy :)

I would say that to myself a few times before I went in. There is absolutely nothing to be dissapointed and its human nature to feel tense but they are there to help and if it wasn't for them in my own personal experience I would still be suffering and miserable :)

Hope this helps x

m-a-i- wrote: »
    Hi I don't know if this is any help but I've had a similar situation when I was going through hospital issues. But then I just had to close my eyes and think they are here for a reason and I'm here for a reason, they are not here to judge, they are here to help me and make sure that I'm healthy and happy :)

I would say that to myself a few times before I went in. There is absolutely nothing to be dissapointed and its human nature to feel tense but they are there to help and if it wasn't for them in my own personal experience I would still be suffering and miserable :)

Hope this helps x

Thank you for your advice. I am due back next week. I am trying to be calm about this, but am so afraid i wont go through with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Thank you for your advice. I am due back next week. I am trying to be calm about this, but am so afraid i wont go through with it again.

Holly, it took me a few attempts as I was so nervous. On the successful occasion, the doctor had prescribed something to relax me (Lexotan), which I took shortly before the test, and it was then very very easy. Perhaps you could ask your doctor to do something similar?

Then, once you manage it easily the first time, you'll have got over your fear and it will be fine from then on :)

Help please. I went for my first smear test today, but couldnt got through with it. nurse tried 4 times. I wouldnt let her complete it. I was too tense. I am so disappointed with myself. please help.

You should ask her to use the smallest sized speculum the next time you go, they come in different sizes, she may have been using one which was too big for you. Had my first smear recently, she initially tried putting one in but i tensed up because it was too big, but the smallest one was no problem at all, hardly felt anything, and i've had loads of *ahem* comments about how tiny i am *ahem* in there, if you know what i mean ;)

I think it's the not knowing what to expect what it feels like makes it the worst, but believe me OP it really doesn't hurt at all! Once you have it over and done with you'll wonder what you were so nervous about believe me! :)

It's so important that you have it done, it really could save your life,
    Just take a huge deep breath as she inserts it and it'll be over in no time!

All the best OP :)

Hey, have you tried practicing some breathing exercises while lying in the position you need to be in for the smear so you can get used to it. My GP just said to me to breath in through my mouth and out through my bottom.

I had my first test done last week and I'm amazed at how ok it was and I'm ashamed I left it so long. I was always terrified of the thought of the procedure and having my bits out on show and I used to lie and say I'd had one elsewhere but she finally copped and cornered me for it.

I personally didn't want to see anything or be told anything so I made sure she knew that.

Best of luck when you go again OP.

hi, not looking for medical advice as such just maybe some suggestions.

ive been on the pill (various brands) the past 3 years now and the last few months ive been off it due to lack of money. i would like to go back on some form of contraception as i find condoms alone not very reliable.

however i think i may be depressed/suffering from a hormonal imbalance or something. which i thought it might resolve itself from coming off the pill.
    ive decided to speak to my doctor next week but im wondering will contraception have to be put on the backburner til the depression issue is sorted?? i am also lacking a sex drive (part of the reason why i think it could be depression) but i do still require some form of protection for when i do feel up for it.

hopefully someone can help???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hoping someone here has advice that could help other than get it taken out...

Got the implant just over a year ago, got a period for about two weeks then have had nothing since, until about 3 weeks ago, then i had very heavy bleeding for a week all of a sudden, but then it stopped, had read up about it and heard that this sometimes happened so figured itd probably be fine and id go back to having nothing.

But then yesterday morning when i got up out of bed, well not to be too graphic but there was just a flood of blood, it was awful and ive been bleeding since, i think its just a normal amount of blood that i would have had when i was having my period before the implant, cant really remember to be honest but just wondering has anyone else had experience of this, it just seems strange that i went without a period for so long and now i've had two in three weeks, hoping this happened to someone else and then it just went back to nothing!

any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Im sorry to say that this is a usual side effect of using the implant. Usually after 2-3 years regular bleeding occurs. I only managed to get 2 years out of it then had a period for a month. The Dr perscribed me the pill (not sure which one but it is one that she said is recommended to be taken with implant when its goes haywire). I had to take it for 3 months and it regulated the bleeding but when I stopped taking it I had a constant period for the next 2 months till I finally decided to have it out and get the merina coil instead.

Maybe a chat with your dr would be the best idea at this time. Hopefully your experience will be different than mine.

hi, recently ive been encountering alot of trouble on the pill (depression, sad and moody), and after experimenting with many types over the last 3 years, im tired, and sick of the pill. im stronly considering the iud, also known as the copper coil, i am am interested in others feed back, ive never been pregnant and understand that insertion is more painful for us... but im not so much worried about the initial pain,,,im more interested in the after effects and a good place to get it done? all feedback and suggestions very welcome, thanks :D

Hi, I got mine 3 weeks ago, I haven't had any kids. To be honest with you, the insertion pain was ok... it was painful, but it was fairly quick, like the worst cramp I ever had, type pain... I was planning on going to work after but I felt a bit faint. I hadn't eaten much, I would recommend a good breakie and some pain killers in advance.
    I had bleeding, straight away, which lasted for a week or so, then I got an infection, not sexually transmitted. I was on treatment for that and I was on hols and I got really bad pains... So bad I couldn't walk when they hit, they came and went, every few minutes for a few hours... I caleld the clinic and they said that the pain can get worse, as in period cramps but this was nothiing like I had ever experienced... that passed, then i got more normal cramps 2 days later and my period... i am on day 3 now and I still have cramps, although bearable.. I am still on pain killers.. I am going to give it another week, if it hasn't passed then I am getting it out.

hi all,

Just wanted to say thank you for all your ideas and suggestions. Finally did it today. Go through it too. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Breathing definitely helps.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Well done !!! It's such a sense of relief when it's done. Go buy yourself something nice as a "well done" treat!!!!

I'm just back from the doctor's. I had been having a problem for the last couple of months but was too embarrassed to go get it sorted. Now, here I am, on my way to getting better thinking 'Well, that wasn't so bad. Why didn't I go sooner?' Must remember this feeling the next time I let my fear get in the way of making myself better. I probably won't though... Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hey everybody,

Bit of an issue I just want some advice on. I've been on Microlite since March to regulate my period and also for contraception. Some months I was getting 2 periods and then I could go for 2 or 3 months without one. I could never plan anything properly because I never knew when my period was going to arrive.

Anyway, I took the last pill in my second packet this morning at 9am. All my pills have been taken between 9am and 9.20am for the first 2 cycles. At the very end of my first cycle on it, the day before I took the last pill I started to bleed and bled for 6 days like a normal period, and I seemed to have my normal cramps. This time it's a lot lighter but started when I had 4-5 pills left in the packet. I continued taking the pill as normal. I didn't need a pad until Friday/yesterday, even then it's very light and I have mild cramping also, nowhere near what it used to be though. I've been reading online that breakthrough bleeding is normal when your first start on the pill and to go to back to the doc if it doesn't resolve itself within the first 4 cycles. My question is, would it be any harm not to take a 7 day break this time and just continue with my third pack tomorrow?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I've tried to explain as clearly as I can.

Thanks ladies. :)

Hi if any anyone can give me advice, I was on the pill until I was 35 and came off thinking you had to change contraception after 35 but I really would like to go back on it. I am off it a year now. I have heard conflicting advice like a friend said her doctor told her not to go on the pill as it could be very hard to kick start your eggs later if you want kids. Any advice from anyone using contraception over 35 I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Best thing you can do it check with your dr, esp if your planning on starting a family.
    It really can vary from woman to woman, some have early menopause in the family which can start in the mid early 40s and some don't hit menopause until they are closer to 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Question needing answers as soon as anyone might have one!

I have been on Noriday for two months, found it great. Pharmacist gave me one months of Micronor to try after the Noriday as they are very similar, and life on it has been hell!!

Is there any alternatives?? I have to have a mini pill, and had constant bleeding on Cezarette. Have had a lot of trouble trying to get a repeat prescription of Noriday as have been told by two med practices that 'it is hard to get'. I am going to a drop in clinic at 2pm today, in the hope of getting a perscription for it, but was advised by the receptionist that I will most likely get an alternative :confused:

Anyone have any experiences and know of any other alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Got my Noriday..like pulling teeth. The doc wanted to prescribe me everything but Noriday, even the ones I said I have tried and got reactions from! Madness. Plus she wasn't very nice and didn't even acknowledge when I said that my tummy had become bloated, extremely tender, had a period for 15 days straight now and I was worried about it because the pain it was very unlike 'normal' period pain.
    Very unsatisfactory but after three hours waiting to actually see a GP I had to get out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Got my Noriday..like pulling teeth. The doc wanted to prescribe me everything but Noriday, even the ones I said I have tried and got reactions from! Madness. Plus she wasn't very nice and didn't even acknowledge when I said that my tummy had become bloated, extremely tender, had a period for 15 days straight now and I was worried about it because the pain it was very unlike 'normal' period pain.
    Very unsatisfactory but after three hours waiting to actually see a GP I had to get out :(

glad you got sorted,even if it was a nightmare!
    i hate docs like that, they just wont listen no matter how much you try,i have an appointment on friday and im hoping this new doc is a bit better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paoloismyhero

Hi,I have a question,is it possible to get pregnant if you have sex the day after your last period?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Yes, it's basically possible to get pregnant no matter when you have sex during your cycle (even if the chances are slim on some days). There's no 100% safe day to have unprotected sex and not end up up the duff

Advertisement