Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Yes, there's a chance of getting pregnant any time and day!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

depends on length of your cycle- possible. But less likely unless you have a very short cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I think some women keep track of their cycle for contraceptive purposes, so they know when they're at their most fertile and avoid sex then. But even so, you can still get pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭fghijkl

depends on length of your cycle- possible. But less likely unless you have a very short cycle.

I'd say very possible tbh.
    Sperm can in theory survive for up to 7 days,
    So if the OP has a 5/6 day period, she had sex on day 6/7?
    so by day 13/14 (mid cycle when ovulation usually occurs) there could be sperm still waiting around and - baby is made.

you might want to seriously consider taking the morning after pill OP while there's still time if indeed you have had unprotected sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Hey, I have what could seem like an over-cautious or even stupid question about the pill, but here goes.

I'm on Cerazette (a mini-pill, but different to most mini-pills). I haven't started taking it yet because it's supposed to be taken when you start your period and apparently (although I find this hard to believe, even though it's stated on the instructions), it works as a contraceptive from day one, if taken on the first day of your period.

Now, my main reason for taking the pill is to regulate my periods, but I also want to use it as contraception. I intend to use condoms pretty much all of the time, BUT say once a month when I'm in my least fertile period, I decide to just rely on the pill - what are the odds of me getting pregnant? If I'm completely meticulous about taking the pill perfectly?

I know it sounds like a stupid question but I don't want to get pregnant :o

• Advertisement

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Hey, I have what could seem like an over-cautious or even stupid question about the pill, but here goes.

I'm on Cerazette (a mini-pill, but different to most mini-pills). I haven't started taking it yet because it's supposed to be taken when you start your period and apparently (although I find this hard to believe, even though it's stated on the instructions), it works as a contraceptive from day one, if taken on the first day of your period.

Now, my main reason for taking the pill is to regulate my periods, but I also want to use it as contraception. I intend to use condoms pretty much all of the time, BUT say once a month when I'm in my least fertile period, I decide to just rely on the pill - what are the odds of me getting pregnant? If I'm completely meticulous about taking the pill perfectly?

I know it sounds like a stupid question but I don't want to get pregnant redface.gif

I'm just finishing my first pack of cerazette. First off, I use it for regulating and contraception but my doctor told me cerazette actually makes periods irregular. Many women in here claim that it stopped their periods or made them very light. I had two periods this month, but then it is only my first month of it so I'm gonna give it a few months and hopefully it'll settle.

Secondly, I use it as my main form of contraception and its the same as any pill. Its something like 97% effective when taken correctly, and doesn't work if you're on anti-biotics, if you have vomiting or diarrohea or miss one. I know it says you're covered from day one but if you've had to take a break for a month or its your first pill, I'd give it 7 days (most pills say it takes 7 days to kick in).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

BUT say once a month when I'm in my least fertile period, I decide to just rely on the pill - what are the odds of me getting pregnant? If I'm completely meticulous about taking the pill perfectly?

Umm... about 0.1% (1/1000) is the rate of pill fails for most contraceptive pills, (both combination and POP- progesterone only) believe it or not...
    The Cerazette.co.uk says it's 99% effective when taken correctly.
    I did rely on the pill as the only form of contraception (except in my week off it) for years... Had pill fail in December though!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MD!

Hi there, going for my first smear on tuesday and just looking for any general advice on what i should do/not do beforehand e.g. is it safe to have sex the night before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

I had my clinic visit again last week for possible endometriosis. She was suprised I had not had my scan yet after 8 weeks wait more like 20 year wait considering when I first complained. I rang ultra sound to find out I could be waiting a further 6 months!!! This is really annoying me now.

I had to take time off work in FEBRUARY pending a tonsilectomy cos I was in training and missing alot of days. I was told I would be waiting max 3 months... now I am told I will be waiting at LEAST another 3 months if not more. This is EMERGENCY SURGERY apparently :( So the last 3 months of unpaid sick days were a waste of time!

My son has been waiting for a scan on his spine which he should of had at 6 months of age he finally got the appointment at 14 months. Thankfully it was clear, but imagine if it wasnt........

Uselessssss systym here and getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭_ariadne

what are the odds of me getting pregnant? If I'm completely meticulous about taking the pill perfectly?

as others have said, its pretty low and many couples use th pill as the sole form of contraception for years without getting pregnant.

that said, you sound pretty worried about getting pregnant so it might be better for you to stick with always using condoms too so that you don't get stressed/worried about pregnancy every month. also diseases!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

MD! wrote: »
    Hi there, going for my first smear on tuesday and just looking for any general advice on what i should do/not do beforehand e.g. is it safe to have sex the night before?

If your going to have sex the night before your smear then at least have the curtsey to use a condom. Even if you have a bath or douche afterwards there will be some traces of seamen left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I have been up sick all night with nauesa, vomiting, diarrhoea, dizziness and fainting. I have a period and use tampons and am displaying the symptoms of toxic shock syndrome that is on the leaflet. Im unsure what to do as in whether or not to visit the doctor in the morning. The leaflet says to visit your doctor but these are symptoms that I have been experiencing almost every month for some time now. I have always put it down to monthly pms problems but its only tonight it clicked with me that it could be related to TTS. I do have a tendency to forget about tampons a lot of the time and leave them in for hours at a time up to a full day sometimes.

Edit: its 3am fri morning and i am ok right now. Up drinking tea I am but was sick for a good while tonight.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I have been up sick all night with nauesa, vomiting, diarrhoea, dizziness and fainting. I have a period and use tampons and am displaying the symptoms of toxic shock syndrome that is on the leaflet. Im unsure what to do as in whether or not to visit the doctor in the morning. The leaflet says to visit your doctor but these are symptoms that I have been experiencing almost every month for some time now. I have always put it down to monthly pms problems but its only tonight it clicked with me that it could be related to TTS. I do have a tendency to forget about tampons a lot of the time and leave them in for hours at a time up to a full day sometimes.

Edit: its 3am fri morning and i am ok right now. Up drinking tea I am but was sick for a good while tonight.

No matter what the cause, go to the doctor! Seriously you shouldn't put up with feeling like that! Explain the symptoms, when it happens and see what they say. Don't let it go, nobody should tolerate feeling unwell for any reason if it can be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I do have a tendency to forget about tampons a lot of the time and leave them in for hours at a time up to a full day sometimes.
    Jesus nobody should be leaving a tampon in for a whole day tbh. That's just asking for trouble. Incredibly unhealthy. If you're that forgetful then would you not consider a mooncup? or even sanitary pads?

Go to a doctor!!! you shouldn't be suffering that much every month, no matter what's causing your sickness.

Hi all,

Has anyone else had problems getting their hands on NuvaRing lately? Every pharmacy seems to be out of them!!!

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 48 chicken_little

hey not sure if this is the right place but i need advice :)

my period is slightly late due to recent stress and worry. also my usual routine has been a bit out of sync lately, staying up late etc. hoping some one has some advice on how to de-stress and relax as i know there is only a one in a million chance i am pregnant but am completely overworked worrying about it lately...

thanks in advance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK folks ye know the drill,:) No medical advice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

hey not sure if this is the right place but i need advice :)

my period is slightly late due to recent stress and worry. also my usual routine has been a bit out of sync lately, staying up late etc. hoping some one has some advice on how to de-stress and relax as i know there is only a one in a million chance i am pregnant but am completely overworked worrying about it lately...

thanks in advance

maybe take a test to put your mind at ease?
    if you already have then id say just have a relaxing night in! :) sorry im not much help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Don't think about it. When you stop thinking about it it will come! :) The more you worry the more your body will mess with your head! :) I know it can't be helped but a cuppa a nice bikkie and a magazine does wonders! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FayeRayRay

happened to me there a month ago was two weeks late due to stress came when i least expected it. bit of patience. youll be grand xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Niabaaa wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone else had problems getting their hands on NuvaRing lately? Every pharmacy seems to be out of them!!!

Thanks,

Aaargh me too, just tried three pharmacies on the way home, and they've all been out of stock for over a month they tell me!!

One of the pharmacists told me Rathmines Pharmacy still has them, so will try to get over there in the next couple of days...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jillette

I started using the Nuvaring last week. It's going ok, except that I have to take it out almost every time I go to the loo as I feel that it will 'pop out', and also I've developed thrush - a common side effect of the nuvaring I've read.

My question is, is it ok to use a canesten pessary or natural yoghurt internally without removing the nuvaring - would these affect/damage it? I know that some of you will say ask my doctor, but to be honest I don't think that she would know as she said that I was the first person that she had ever prescribed the ring to - and this is a busy Dublin surgery with a youngish female doctor!

Any advice/tales from experience would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Niabaaa View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks,

I got it in Daly's Pharmacy on the Cabra Road last week, they might still have some. Other ones in the area were out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

jillette wrote: »
    I started using the Nuvaring last week. It's going ok, except that I have to take it out almost every time I go to the loo as I feel that it will 'pop out', and also I've developed thrush - a common side effect of the nuvaring I've read.

My question is, is it ok to use a canesten pessary or natural yoghurt internally without removing the nuvaring - would these affect/damage it? I know that some of you will say ask my doctor, but to be honest I don't think that she would know as she said that I was the first person that she had ever prescribed the ring to - and this is a busy Dublin surgery with a youngish female doctor!

Any advice/tales from experience would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ring your chemist and ask them.

I'm interested in looking into trying the nuvaring, but Ttheres one thing i just don't understand about the mechanics of it, I was under the impression it opened out like a polo mint and the penis went up between the hole when having sex but from the website it seems you insert it sideways?? ? sorry if it seems like a really stupid question but surely you can feel it when having sex, won't it bunch up and get shoved up against your cervix and hurt? or does the penis kinda slide in between it and the vaginal wall? If so won't it get dragged out with vigorous thrusting?

I'm interested in looking into trying the nuvaring, but Ttheres one thing i just don't understand about the mechanics of it, I was under the impression it opened out like a polo mint and the penis went up between the hole when having sex but from the website it seems you insert it sideways?? ? sorry if it seems like a really stupid question but surely you can feel it when having sex, won't it bunch up and get shoved up against your cervix and hurt? or does the penis kinda slide in between it and the vaginal wall? If so won't it get dragged out with vigorous thrusting?

I used to think this too - calling it a 'ring' is a bit misleading. It is a ring, but is a little wider than the vagina, so you squish it and kind of insert it sideways, as high as you can, and then it stays there like that. As I only started it last Friday, I haven't tried intercourse with it yet (using 7 day rule), but I have read posts on the net where for some women, it's been fine to do it with the ring in, and for others they remove it (as you are still protected if the ring is out for less than 3 hours).

To be honest as it is so flexible it's not uncomfortable at all - for example, I worked out at the gym today without noticing it, the slight thrush is the only negative so far. And the good thing about it, is, that if I decide that it doesn't work for me, I can just pull it out! (unlike the injection which I was previously on for a long time, and also the implant).

But I am still perplexed as the best way to treat the thrush while leaving the nuvaring in - hopefully the chemist might be able to help tomorrow though to be honest I don't think that the Irish medical/pharmaceutical profession are that well briefed on it as yet, and the Nuvaring website does not cover this query either....

Sharrow wrote: »
    Ring your chemist and ask them.

Went into my chemist and he didn't know. He looked in his medical book which had no advice either, so he checked the canesten leaflet - null there too! So we agreed that it was probably fine, and worth a try....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just use canstan as normal and leave the ring in - it doesnt make any difference.

you cant feel it when you are having sex

my doctor on merrion square has a large stock

to the poster that has to take it out when peeing - you havent inserted it correctly. lie on your bed, push the sides in and shove it up as far has it will go, it wont come out

I'm having debate in my head the last month, I'm so annoyed!
    Nuvaring Vs Pill (Yaz Cerazette or Yasmin)

How much do either of these cost a month!
    Cost is just one of the many factors I'm measuring against but it would help if I knew
    Ive been using Mirena for the last 5 years and I've no idea how much birth control is these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

hey ladies..

Looking for your opinions on the whole contraception thing.

Used to be on the pill when I was 18 till 20. Havent been using anything (except condom) for two years now!! Needless to say thats becoming a bit of a drain.
    I have painful periods where i have to take a day off every month because of it!

Looking into getting the implant but I have no medical card and it seems super expensive. Also this cerezette pill.

Dont know I cant decide, but I need something to help with the pain of periods.
    Ahhhh... :)

Advertisement