Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'm having debate in my head the last month, I'm so annoyed!
    Nuvaring Vs Pill (Yaz Cerazette or Yasmin)

How much do either of these cost a month!
    Cost is just one of the many factors I'm measuring against but it would help if I knew
    Ive been using Mirena for the last 5 years and I've no idea how much birth control is these days!

When I was on Yasmin, I think it was around 12 quid per box (as in 21 tablets). So that works out about 140 per year, plus two doctors visits at say 50 each is 100, so that's 240 per year for Yasmin.

Do you mind me asking why you're switching from Mirena to these other methods? I'm just curious cause I've had Mirena for about 5 months now.

Morgase wrote: »
    When I was on Yasmin, I think it was around 12 quid per box (as in 21 tablets). So that works out about 140 per year, plus two doctors visits at say 50 each is 100, so that's 240 per year for Yasmin.

Do you mind me asking why you're switching from Mirena to these other methods? I'm just curious cause I've had Mirena for about 5 months now.
    Its fantastic but I don't have the cash to get it replaced right now!
    Price of getting it removed , pain of refitting, cost of fitting, the device itself, cost of follow up visit etc
    I want to try other options now I will re-evaluate in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Morgase wrote: »

The nuvaring is usually about 19 euro per month

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

Hi all,

Anyone get a laparoscopy to check for endomet.- im going public so ill probably be in an old folks home before i get the call:D

Seriously would be grateful for any info on it if ye have been there.

Im going publicly i take it this will not cost me anything!

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

It depends if you have a medical card it wont but if you dont then you will be paying the daily in patient charge or daycase charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Niabaaa wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone else had problems getting their hands on NuvaRing lately? Every pharmacy seems to be out of them!!!

Thanks,

I did too but looks like they have them back in stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Otto_26 permabanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Hey ladies, I was on the thinkcontraception website and it said that the implant can cause weight gain ...I know that with anything hormonal you have to expect some side effects and I also know it depends on the individual but I would still like to get an idea about what it can do to a person! Besides not get them pregnant! Like mood swings as well etc.

P.S. I was reading something the other day that said those 7 days women take off from the pill are not to allow for a natural period bleed but actually just a habitual thing that women do and that what they experience is a withdrawal bleed, that scares me tbh that's why I am looking for something more permanent

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stoneman1

hi ladies, new poster but hoping some 1 can help .....started nuvaring on first day of cycle as told by doc but its seems to have messed up period - has this happened to any1 ? please advise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 clionaerin

Hi,

Im a 33 year year old mother of two girls and I have recently started having an issue with my periods. I would like to see if anyone has had the same experience as me or if anyone has any advise for me.
    Im not big on going to the doctor about this unless I really have to because there are no female doctors in my clinic and Im very prudish that way!

Anyway my problem is as follows:
    About 5 months ago I was in my kitchen it was the first day of my period and I was doing the dishes when I suddenly got this blinding sharp pain right down there that seemed as though it was travelling up my vagina, it only last approx 20-30 seconds but it was so bad that I stared see white in front of my eyes and I had to sit on the ground before I passed out and let it pass. Since then I have had the same episodes but last month I was driving on a dual carriage way when it came on as fast and hard, I had to pull over to the hard shoulder with my 1 year old daughter in the back until the pain passed.

Yesterday I dropped my hot mug of tea all over the floor it came on so quick. Is this normal? Is it my age? or the fact that I have had children do they get worse?

Cant take many more of them and I worry will I be holding by baby the next time it happens?

Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hi OP,

I know the pain you're talking about, it's so bad. I've had weird, painful and irregular periods since I started when I was 11 and I am 22 now. I've almost passed out from the pain on many occasion and I actually did pass out 2 or three times. I've had to go on the pill because of it recently because they just weren't becoming regular or less painful. It would be a good idea to speak to your GP about it OP.

Good luck x

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jane_LS_88 wrote:
    It would be a good idea to speak to your GP about it OP.
    I think this the best advice clionaerin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

stoneman1 wrote: »
    hi ladies, new poster but hoping some 1 can help .....started nuvaring on first day of cycle as told by doc but its seems to have messed up period - has this happened to any1 ? please advise

I had a total nightmare with Nuvaring...messed up my cycle and my hormone levels...how my relationship lasted I don't know cos I was a total cow for those few months.

Are you talking about the second month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stoneman1

thanks for reply....no first month ??? - only just started but feeling some side-effects already ,headaches & ****e form !!! just concerned as regards period .heard & found good reviews on it but seems very few people know much about it....even pharmacist that dispenced it couldn't advise .

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭heidi_ho

aimerlans wrote: »
    anyone have any advice on the implant? im currently on the pill but considering changing to the implant.

advice would be much appreciated! :)

I had my mirena coil put in March 2008 and had my baby in January 2009.
    Didn't know pregnant until August and by then 4 months approx... had to get it removed surgically and raises miscarraige by 75% apparently.. but my little solider stayed thank God.
    So no more coils

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm having debate in my head the last month, I'm so annoyed!
    Nuvaring Vs Pill (Yaz Cerazette or Yasmin)

How much do either of these cost a month!
    Cost is just one of the many factors I'm measuring against but it would help if I knew
    Ive been using Mirena for the last 5 years and I've no idea how much birth control is these days!

I'm very late, but if you're still wondering, Yaz is approximately €17 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

It depends if you have a medical card it wont but if you dont then you will be paying the daily in patient charge or daycase charge

I have health insurance so will that cover the whole thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how long it would take smear test results to come back. I had the test done privately 10 days ago, and the results were sent to a Dublin laboratory (think it was called Claymon?)

Any idea's would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Louisburgh lass

xsmearx wrote: »
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how long it would take smear test results to come back. I had the test done privately 10 days ago, and the results were sent to a Dublin laboratory (think it was called Claymon?)

Any idea's would be great!

My first results came back after 4 weeks, i had to have another after 6 months and the results of that one only took 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 fordey101

Hi ladies,

has anyone ever taken norithisterone tablets to delay your period? Or does anyone know will the doctor easily prescribe them to a 21 year old? I'm going to Paris with my boyfriend in about 2 weeks time (it was a present from him to me) and having my period would ruin the trip for obvious reasons! Any insight would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Never heard of it.

Are you on the pill now? Why not just don't take the 7 day break and continue on to another a pack? That'll delay it for you.

No i stopped taking the pill about a year ago, i was planning to just go back on it and run 2 packs together but didn't get to the doc in time before my last period! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

AFAIK, that's just the pharmaceutical name of Noriday, the mini pill, which is the same as Micronor, etc.

Have just checked my pills, and yup, I'm right. I take it as I cannot take the combined pill due to migranes. It won't delay your period, it just acts in the same way the other pills do..some girls get periods on it, some don't..takes 3 months to get regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've been prescribed something or other to delay my period for the leaving cert. It's due the day before it starts, or on the day it starts, and I wouldn't be able to handle the pain during such intense exams.:(
    I'll find out the name of it and pm it if you want?:)

I doubt you'd have too much trouble getting it, I'm sure they prescribe it to brides-to-be or holiday makers quite often!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ladies, I'm going unreg for this because it's slightly embarrassing. Firstly, I am NOT looking for medical advice. I just want to know if anyone else has this issue. Basically, my partner is very well endowed, and sometimes after we've had *ahem* vigorous sex, there's sometimes a little bit of blood. It doesn't hurt at the time or anything. I was diagnosed in the past with a cervical erosion, and it's nothing as bad as that. It's not a problem but I'm just wondering if it happens to anyone else. He's the only partner it happens with, so it must be size-related :o. I think it makes him feel a bit bad because he's afraid that he's hurt me. I get regular smears and STI check-ups and I'm perfectly healthy down there which is why I don't think it's anything medical.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I've been prescribed something or other to delay my period for the leaving cert. It's due the day before it starts, or on the day it starts, and I wouldn't be able to handle the pain during such intense exams.:(
    I'll find out the name of it and pm it if you want?:)

I doubt you'd have too much trouble getting it, I'm sure they prescribe it to brides-to-be or holiday makers quite often!

if you could that would be great! one of my friends told me she has something like this for going on holidays years ago but she couldnt remember the name of it either! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

unreg41 wrote: »
    Ladies, I'm going unreg for this because it's slightly embarrassing. Firstly, I am NOT looking for medical advice. I just want to know if anyone else has this issue. Basically, my partner is very well endowed, and sometimes after we've had *ahem* vigorous sex, there's sometimes a little bit of blood. It doesn't hurt at the time or anything. I was diagnosed in the past with a cervical erosion, and it's nothing as bad as that. It's not a problem but I'm just wondering if it happens to anyone else. He's the only partner it happens with, so it must be size-related :o. I think it makes him feel a bit bad because he's afraid that he's hurt me. I get regular smears and STI check-ups and I'm perfectly healthy down there which is why I don't think it's anything medical.

He's probably touching of the cervix and irritating the erosion, I've been told this is no big deal by a few doctors/nurses when it happens only occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

In fairness now, we aren't going to be able to tell you if you're pregnant. My advice would be to try relax for now, buy a pregnancy test in the morning (they can be quite cheap) and maybe pick up something for the thrush while you're there. Never any harm to talk to your doctor about these things either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ms_Taurus

I'm not looking for medical info, I was examined by my gp and all is fine

Basically my breasts are a bit uneven ie one higher, the problem is I don't want the general public knowing as well, I was wearing a top and it showed by nipples one higher than the other, I cannot wear vest tops, etc without it bring noticeable, is there any bra that can make them look even or disguise them

Ideally surgery is the solution but I'm not going through that, the non surgical inhectable implants are too expensive

Advertisement