Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

babz wrote: »
    Hello!
    I'm just wondering seeing as thrush is an early sign of pregnancy, I'm late on my period and had thrush the day before I was due my period. I'm hoping does anyone know if thrush can affect your period i.e delay it?

No offence this sounds strange. Before your period, your hormones go a bit mad and this as a result can throw off the pH down there.The more you worry about it the later you will be.....how late are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was wearing a top and it showed by nipples one higher than the other, I cannot wear vest tops, etc without it bring noticeable, is there any bra that can make them look even or disguise them
    umm well if you can only tell by seeing your nipples under tops etc, would a padded bra not surfice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ms_Taurus

mnbvcxzzsd wrote: »
    umm well if you can only tell by seeing your nipples under tops etc, would a padded bra not surfice?

Unfortunately its pretty noticeable through my cloths from their shape, i wear sports bras for support

Just wondering if anyone has had an IUD fitted who has not had children?, google gives me conflicting info on if you can or not :/.
    I'm quite umm tight down there so i'm guessing i could be problematic?
    Also was it very painful to fit? Did it make your periods heavier?

(Not talking about the mirena just the non hormonal IUD)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Have a raging kidney infection. On a long dose of strong antibiotics and due to my kidneys being a bit anatomically effed I will probably be put on preventative antibiotics for the forseeable.

Is there a supplement that us women can take so we don't flush out all the good bacteria and avoid any nasty side effects?

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I stopped taking my pill (microlite) in the middle of the packet, I was a week or two into it. How will this affect my period?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Hi all!
    I've tried several different types of pill and none agree with me- basically I've come to the conclusion that hormonal contraception just doesn't work with me.
    Now, I don't like relying on condoms alone, as it's far too easy to have a "techincal malfunction"! I'm thinking off the IUD, does anyone have experience with it? I mean, does the GP fit it? Is it noticeable when you're having sex?
    Thanks for replies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 becca86

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience as me?

I had a mirena coil inserted and also had a d&c last monday 30/05 under general anesthetic. I am still getting very bad abdominal pain and bleeding is getting heavier, is this normal? My gynecologist told me that both should only last for about 24 hours. I went to my own GP on Friday(4 days after the procedure) who said that it was normal for this to go on for so long! So needless to say I am very confused and frustrated! Any advice would be great! Thanks x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

posy2010 wrote: »
    Have a raging kidney infection. On a long dose of strong antibiotics and due to my kidneys being a bit anatomically effed I will probably be put on preventative antibiotics for the forseeable.

Is there a supplement that us women can take so we don't flush out all the good bacteria and avoid any nasty side effects?

I know cranberry juice is very good for bladder infections and I would suggest eating natural yoghurt to stave off thrush, which is a common reaction to strong antibiotics.

I feel your pain. I had bladder infections on and off for years until I had an operation. The antibiotics can wreak havoc on your body so try and eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables to keep your energy levels up.

Hi all!

I started Yasmin as my first contraceptive pill there last Thursday on the first day of my period. Had a pretty bad period but it was fine. Have been taking it every day at the same time.

I'm just wondering...It is now saturday and I'm still having some bleeding. It's not like period blood as such, it's light. Sorry for being graphic but it's more like bloody mucus...

Anyway I'm wondering is this normal and when can I expect this to stop. I don't want it to interfere with the very reason I started taking the pill lol! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Remember folks no medical advice and the best and first advice should be see your GP wth any symptoms that strike you as unusual.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ok going unreg for this as it's a really embarrassing topic for me... I don't think that this is looking for medical advice (actually im pretty sure its not) but sorry if it is!

Basically I cannot insert a tampon. I swim a lot so it's becoming a serious hinderence for me not being able to insert one correctly. I buy the slimmist ones which should be the easiet to insert (I would guess!?) and I relax and everything before trying to insert it but... em.. how do I put this... it just wont go in.. Its extremely painful whichever way I try and insert it and it says on the box that you shouldn't be able to feel it if its in properly but even if it does go in partially it still feels really uncomfortable and I cant sit down let alone swim with it! I've tried everything but I just end up getting panicked and stressed that there is something wrong with me in that area!! Im 17 and a virgin and I'm wondering if that will affect my sex life later or if its just something that I'll get over and it will just work one day.

Basically has anyone ever experienced a similar problem to this? I dont have a motherly figure to go to and I don't fancy taking this to the family doctor as we know him quite well and I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to him about it!

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

Ladies,

Iv been on Dianette for 5 years now.. ended up driving me insane so i swiched to Microlite.. I finished the dianette and ran staight into the microlite with no gaps or stops..(as my doc advised) i have taken it perfectly through the month. Im currently on my week off and always get my period on the friday after coming off the pill but i havent got any..

I know im not pregnant but i have never ran on with two pills ever before with out a gap and then again i have changed pill so i dont really know whats going on!! I had one light spotting but that was it nothing major or anything to worry about!!

Any suggestions or does this just happen when you run on or change pill??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

kingelmo,

Moved your post here from the main forum - this is where all health related discussion re pills, etc, go. :cool:
    Ok going unreg for this as it's a really embarrassing topic for me... I don't think that this is looking for medical advice (actually im pretty sure its not) but sorry if it is!

Basically I cannot insert a tampon. I swim a lot so it's becoming a serious hinderence for me not being able to insert one correctly. I buy the slimmist ones which should be the easiet to insert (I would guess!?) and I relax and everything before trying to insert it but... em.. how do I put this... it just wont go in.. Its extremely painful whichever way I try and insert it and it says on the box that you shouldn't be able to feel it if its in properly but even if it does go in partially it still feels really uncomfortable and I cant sit down let alone swim with it! I've tried everything but I just end up getting panicked and stressed that there is something wrong with me in that area!! Im 17 and a virgin and I'm wondering if that will affect my sex life later or if its just something that I'll get over and it will just work one day.

Basically has anyone ever experienced a similar problem to this? I dont have a motherly figure to go to and I don't fancy taking this to the family doctor as we know him quite well and I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to him about it!

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated! Thanks.

You need to go to your GP. In my experience it isn't painful inserting a tampon so you really need to rule out any other issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 janeymack1

hi i want to enquire about 3 things. i will number each thing to make it easier. thanks in advance for your help ladies. i am a girl in my 20s and wish to learn more about smears etc..

1) women over 25 are entitled to a free cervical smear testing for cervical cancer. i was hoping someone could tell me does the actual appointment cost? surely it isnt free if you are required to pay €65 to see the doctor. i'm just a bit confused about this?

2) does anybody know how much an ultrasound to test for cysts on ovaries costs? is it worth getting? if there are cysts on the ovaries, what can be done?

3) i dont understand how women with Polycystic ovarian syndrome have MALE HORMONES. what makes them a woman if they have male hormones

1) No, the appointment is free. My local health centre has the nurse doing them anyway.

2) Sorry, don't know about this one.

3) Men and women possess the same hormones, it is when the balance of "female" hormones and "male" hormones goes out of balance that issues arise, for either sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

1. As above- it's free, including the appointment.

2. It depends on where you get the ultrasound done- if you are worried about ovarian cysts your gp can refer you for an ultrasound, and this should be free although if you go through the public system, as with any other procedure, there will probably be a lengthy enough wait. You can also go to a private clinic that do medical ultrasounds, although I'm not sure how many of these there are around. I only know of the one that I've attended, and if you're not based in Dublin not sure how much use it'd be to you... if you are I can PM you the website. As far as I can remember they clearly list their prices on their website and I don't think you need a referal.
    As for what can be done about ovarian cysts... thing is- most women get them and nothing needs to be done as they resolve themselves. There are different types of treatments, but it would depends on the type of cyst, size etc.

3. As above as well. Men and women have many of the same hormones, including testosterone and eostrogen... it's the balance of these that make results in more male or female physiques etc. both internally and externally.

Quick query in case some of you have had this issue before. Going away for a weekend with my boyfriend this weekend. I'm due to have root canal the following week and have been prescribed amoxcyllin if I need it. I haven't taken the anti biotic. What I'm wondering is will the antibiotic prevent the pill from working or is this an old wives tale? I've heard mixed things so wonder has anybody received an answer on this before!

Thanks so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

It's not an old wive's tale! The Pill DOESN'T work if you're taking anti-biotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

Actually had a question along these lines myself - I'm well aware the pill doesn't work with antibiotics in the short term but last week I visited a different GP from my usual one to renew my Yasminelle script, just because I didn't have time to go to my normal doctor, and she informed me that I was misinformed when i was told that the pill won't work for the first month of taking doxycycline (malaria meds) but WILL work after about 4-5 weeks.

So I have one GP telling me the pill will never work with doxy, and another telling me that after a month on doxy my stomach's flora will have reinstated itself so absorption of the pill will go back to normal and I can use yasminelle as normal without barrier method.

How the hell can two GPs give COMPLETELY different advice on something as potentially life-changing as contraception? Is my usual GP bordering on negligent here by giving me advice that could see me end up pregnant? Or is the other GP just paranoid? What do I do? Challenge them to a face-off to see which one can back up their claims more? Or get a third opinion (another 60 quid)?

Seriously though, has anyone ever been in this position before? I haven't a clue what to do. I'm going travelling next month but won't need malara meds until Christmas but I wanted to have all this sorted before I left. Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

janeymack1 wrote: »
    hi i want to enquire about 3 things. i will number each thing to make it easier. thanks in advance for your help ladies. i am a girl in my 20s and wish to learn more about smears etc..

1) women over 25 are entitled to a free cervical smear testing for cervical cancer. i was hoping someone could tell me does the actual appointment cost? surely it isnt free if you are required to pay €65 to see the doctor. i'm just a bit confused about this?

2) does anybody know how much an ultrasound to test for cysts on ovaries costs? is it worth getting? if there are cysts on the ovaries, what can be done?

3) i dont understand how women with Polycystic ovarian syndrome have MALE HORMONES. what makes them a woman if they have male hormones

1. Nurse does the smear, is completly free

2. I had mine done in VHI clinic in Airside and it cost €100. I needed a referral letter or to see their doctor first. It was to confirm that I had PCOS. I was then put on a pill called Dianette which basically blocks the male hormones and the cysts diappear in about 4-6 months. If you think you have PCOS, first call should be to your GP who will then carry out blood tests, then refer you for an ultrasound if needed.

3. All women have male hormones aswell. Some just have an elevated level of testosterone which results in excess hair, oily skin, greasy hair etc. It does not make you male...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 janeymack1

1. Nurse does the smear, is completly free

2. I had mine done in VHI clinic in Airside and it cost €100. I needed a referral letter or to see their doctor first. It was to confirm that I had PCOS. I was then put on a pill called Dianette which basically blocks the male hormones and the cysts diappear in about 4-6 months. If you think you have PCOS, first call should be to your GP who will then carry out blood tests, then refer you for an ultrasound if needed.

3. All women have male hormones aswell. Some just have an elevated level of testosterone which results in excess hair, oily skin, greasy hair etc. It does not make you male...

thank you cutie- this is very helpful advice.
    if i go to the leopardstown well woman clinic or a gp which is listed on the cervical smear website, would it be free or do i need to find a specific nurse?

if i was to go to the doctor for my free smear and then ask them to refer me for an ultrasound, would this all be free? many thanks

also cutie, is your PCOS gone totally now? does it actualy disappear? im worried about the infertility side of things and also the fact that 50% of PCOS sufferers get diabetes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fruit salad

Hey all,

This is my first post. Just wondering if anyone on here could share their experiences with me of taking this pill. I was on Yasminelle for over 6months and went to the doctor today as I couldn't take the depression and paranoia I experienced when on that pill and was prescribed Mercilon. What side effects if any did you experience? Mood swings, heavy/light doses etc

I appreciate any information you can give as none of my friends have been on this before so havn't been able to get any second opinions on it...

Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

janeymack1 wrote: »
    also cutie, is your PCOS gone totally now? does it actualy disappear? im worried about the infertility side of things and also the fact that 50% of PCOS sufferers get diabetes...

Not too sure about the smear, I dont qualify for free ones yet ;)

PCOS is never gone. Once you have it, its there for good. Alot of my symptoms have greatly improved since going on dianette. I am on it about a year now.

With regards to diabetes, some women that have PCOS have also been found to be insulin resistant. Diabetes runs in my family and along with having the blood tests for PCOS I also got tested for diabetes and that test was negative.

Regards infertility, it doesnt nesscecarily make you completly infertile, can just make it harder to conceive. Basically the way my doctor explained it that if you wanted to try for a baby, you would come off the dianette for a couple of months and try and then if no success ou would go back on dianette for a couple of months to get rid of the cysts that have built up and then stop it again. If that didnt work then there are other medications they can try.

Have you had blood tests done for PCOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gottalovegreys

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    It's not an old wive's tale! The Pill DOESN'T work if you're taking anti-biotics.

It depends on the pill and the antibiotic: for example I'm on cerazette which isn't affected by some antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Was on Mercillon for years (at least 5 I think!) because of being a moody cow on the last one. Came off it to get pregnant. Had no bother with it. If I remember right it took at least 6 months for me to get used to it though.

im going unreg for this

im on my period but its really heavy as in i have to change the always maxi nighttime plus pads every 2/3 hours during the day and also have a normal night time one on also but i havent got it since the end of january/start of feb
    its just really heavy and messy

but today somethin weird happened i got tremors really bad tremors and i got scared and didnt know what was happening i dont know if it has anything to do with my period but i was really scared and the guys i was with had to calm me down i couldnt even hold a bottle of water

has anyone gotten tremors on their period at all?? i just want to know what going on :(
    i know its not normal i just want to know why it happened :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

reallyworried20 your best bet really is to go to your GP. It could be anything and probably nothing. It may have "just" been a panic attack. I had one of them once. Tremors and fear etc. Jesus wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But for your own peace of mind get thee to your doc.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sorry maybe this isn't quite the right place for this but I really can't think of anywhere better. I've been using a menstrual cup for the past year but over the past few months it's been leaking (when half-full) at night. I've tried everything and just come to the conclusion that I move to much and am just breaking the seal.

Anyway I've been using normal pads for the last few cycles (just at night) but I hate them and have decided to try reusable pads. Basically I was wondering if anyone else has tried them and what their experience was/is. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi all, I am slightly confused after a consultation with my GP today.

Next month I am going away on a camping holiday, and my period is due bang in the middle of it. I went to my doctor to ask for a form of pill I can take in order to delay my period as I had previously heard you could do so. I have not taken any type of oral contraceptive before.

She prescribed to me the 350 mcg Micronor tablets which contain norethisterone and has said to me to take one tablet everyday starting from the first day of my period (its due any time now) and to continue taking them (two packs straight) every day right through until the end of the holiday and through the duration of the time where I am wanting to delay the period where I will then stop taking them and the period will resume.- This I understand, but I have been reading various articles online which state that this tablet isn't used to delay periods as it is a 'mini pill' not a 'combined pill' so it will not work and will have varied side effects. I have also read there is a single norethisterone 5mg tablet which can be taken 3 times a day before and during the time of the delayed period in order to stop it coming, but my doctor made no mention of this..

So now I am wondering whether she has prescribed the wrong method, or are the articles and comments wrong? I am not sure whether to start taking this micronor when she told me to as now I am concerned it will mess the cycle up altogether and will not do what I expected it to do.. Although it does contain norethisterone, it sounds as if this is purely a contraceptive pill and not the same as the 3 a day 5mg norethisterone..... very confusing, help much appreciated :) Thanks.
    x

Advertisement