Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Does anyone have any good tips on how not to almost faint after a smear test?

I went for one this afternoon, everything was fine until I walked around the corner from the clinic & then almost fell over. Ugh! Had to buy a bottle of water & sit down for 10 mins. I'd been having a stressful day before this anyway so that probably didn't help.

So I've got water, sitting down & less stress on my list for the next time round. Any other tips & tricks worth knowing? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Bach rescue remedy and asking for a smaller speculum. I drank half a bottle* of the stuff before my last one and it helped.

*ok, it was more like 10 drops when the recommended dosage is 2, and not to be advised if you have to drive shortly aftewards as it contains alcohol, but it really calmed me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I noticed today that I only took two weeks of my pill instead of three by accident, so I have my perdiod this week instead of next. Really don't know how I managed to do it. Does anyone know if there's any implications to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I noticed today that I only took two weeks of my pill instead of three by accident, so I have my perdiod this week instead of next. Really don't know how I managed to do it. Does anyone know if there's any implications to this?

I've done this before. There is no implications as long as you use protection during sex for the next 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Girls,

Looking for some advice. I'm 29 years old and have always had problems with period (severe pain, nausea, fainting, fever and others too horrible to mention!)-started age 11. I began to suffer with bad pms main problem being depression. My gp thinks I have endometriosis and referred me to consultant. He came to the same conclusion.

I am now waiting for laporoscopy and have been prescribed cyklokapron to reduce flow and clots.

I'm extremely worried about the laporoscopy and how severe the endo could be (infertility main concern). I'm wondering has anyone else been on cyklokapron and have you suffered any side effect- mainly frequency of urinating. Also, any advice for lap....

thanks in advance , Nervous Lady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Aurora1984

Been on the pill for 8 years, def some times I didn't like the hormones. Changed about 4 or 5 times but have decided to go for Mirena and am gettinig it fitted this Friday, will let you know what I think! I have not had any kids and have read some horror stories about it but try to remind myself that its only hopefully a few moments and then its over plus the benefits do seem good! I will update you on how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

Thinspired wrote: »
    Actually had a question along these lines myself - I'm well aware the pill doesn't work with antibiotics in the short term but last week I visited a different GP from my usual one to renew my Yasminelle script, just because I didn't have time to go to my normal doctor, and she informed me that I was misinformed when i was told that the pill won't work for the first month of taking doxycycline (malaria meds) but WILL work after about 4-5 weeks.

So I have one GP telling me the pill will never work with doxy, and another telling me that after a month on doxy my stomach's flora will have reinstated itself so absorption of the pill will go back to normal and I can use yasminelle as normal without barrier method.

How the hell can two GPs give COMPLETELY different advice on something as potentially life-changing as contraception? Is my usual GP bordering on negligent here by giving me advice that could see me end up pregnant? Or is the other GP just paranoid? What do I do? Challenge them to a face-off to see which one can back up their claims more? Or get a third opinion (another 60 quid)?

Seriously though, has anyone ever been in this position before? I haven't a clue what to do. I'm going travelling next month but won't need malara meds until Christmas but I wanted to have all this sorted before I left. Help!

Make sure you do not get pregnant while taking doxycycline, as it causes birth defects. Even taking the pill there is a chance you may become pregnant, so be very careful.

Maybe you misinterpreted what your first GP said, cause I did! He phrased it 'you cant get pregnant while on these', i was like 'great!cant get pregnant...nothing to worry about', then he emphasised 'no....do not get pregnant while taking these malarials as they cause birth defects, thats even if the pregnancy went full term'.
    I kept taking my pill while using doxycycline, and also used condoms just to be safe!

Just wondering if it's normal to have cramps and nausea hours after a smear test? Well it was actually an STI test but they're the same thing I was told.
    The procedure was horribly painful, I was crying with pain - very embarrassing. I was faint afterwards and really weak but now if feels like period pains or something. I'm sure it's nothing but I'd like some reassurance!
    I'm not looking for medical advice either just a little calming down as I'm too embarrassed to talk to anyone about it.

hey girls.im thinking of gettin the patch(as i can never remember to take the pill) and i was wondering how much it is and can you get it on the medical card? i think its my best option as i wouldnt have to change it but once a week :)
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

hey girls.im thinking of gettin the patch(as i can never remember to take the pill) and i was wondering how much it is and can you get it on the medical card? i think its my best option as i wouldnt have to change it but once a week :)
    thanks in advance
    Sorry cant help you with that, but have you thought about the Mirena Coil?

• Advertisement

Justask wrote: »
    Sorry cant help you with that, but have you thought about the Mirena Coil?

i dont know what the mirena coil is?does it have to be inserted into you?im not good with needles at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

If you have a medical card and your dr prescribes you the patch then you can fill the prescription.

The Merina is an IUS and goes in the womb like the copper coil, and there are no needles invovled.

http://www.mirena-us.com/faqs/index.jsp#25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Do they still offer the free smear tests?

I received a letter last november telling me about the free smear test. I was meant to make an appointment but for obvious reasons i used any excuse not to. Probably not the best idea but its embarrassing. I was in college so i never got the time anyway.

Now that im free for the summer, i might as well just get it over with. Filled in my details online, so waiting on a letter.

I also checked the list of available GPs. There's two available in my local clinic. But they're male. Can you go some where else if you're not a regular patient? One of the doctors is fairly hot looking. Is this a good enough reason to get a bit of poking? If he's hot, i might as well enjoy it. Ok my dirty mind, i probably would be embarrassed.

And any tips on how to get over the embarrassment? It doesn't help telling me that they do it every day. What do other women prefer, a male or female doctor?

Im embarrassed even writing this post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

There's no need to be embarrassed, you're just looking after your health, not embarrassing. I've only ever had female nurses do it, I normally prefer male doctors for most things but I like women for it just because I guess I think they know better what they're doing because they have it done themselves! :p They do do it everyday, it's just a medical check like anything else, and the more relaxed you are the easier it is for you and them to do it.

And yes they still offer free ones over 25, as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Acoshla wrote: »
    I normally prefer male doctors

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Hi Girls,

Looking for some advice. I'm 29 years old and have always had problems with period (severe pain, nausea, fainting, fever and others too horrible to mention!)-started age 11. I began to suffer with bad pms main problem being depression. My gp thinks I have endometriosis and referred me to consultant. He came to the same conclusion.

I am now waiting for laporoscopy and have been prescribed cyklokapron to reduce flow and clots.

I'm extremely worried about the laporoscopy and how severe the endo could be (infertility main concern). I'm wondering has anyone else been on cyklokapron and have you suffered any side effect- mainly frequency of urinating. Also, any advice for lap....

thanks in advance , Nervous Lady

Nervous Lady, I was diagnosed with Endometriosis about 10 years or so ago and have had numerous Laps and D&C's ect and have tried nearly every medication or hormone in the book. Feel free to PM with any questions or queries and I will do my best to answer them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

saa wrote: »
    Why?

My mother's female doctor who I used to be taken to when I was small was a very strange lady, I always found male doctors to be a lot more relaxed and my own GP in my home county is the nicest man and doctor ever, so I just generally prefer men for general ailments/doc appointments. I've just had much better experiences with male doctors in general.

One of the doctors is fairly hot looking. Is this a good enough reason to get a bit of poking? If he's hot, i might as well enjoy it. Ok my dirty mind, i probably would be embarrassed.

And any tips on how to get over the embarrassment? It doesn't help telling me that they do it every day. What do other women prefer, a male or female doctor?

Believe me you're not going to get turned on by a smear test no matter how hot the doctor is! lol it's the most clinical/sterile situation ever!

That's not to say it's a horrible experience or anything but i think enjoying a smear might be a bit of a stretch!

Can't say i ever found the experience embarrasing in the slightest to be honest, but then again nakedness is not something i get embarrassed about, At the end of the day it's a medical examination, he/she is not going to be even looking at your bits, they're only interested in looking at your cervix, not the sexiest of body parts really tbh! lol

Hypocritically I do feel more comfortable going to a female doc for smears and the like though, don't know why tbh, i guess women tend to be more gentle because well, they know how it feels to be blunt!
    Acoshla wrote: »
    I always found male doctors to be a lot more relaxed and my own GP in my home county is the nicest man and doctor ever, so I just generally prefer men for general ailments/doc appointments. I've just had much better experiences with male doctors in general.
    +1
    I've found if you go to a doctor with a particular symptom, female doctors tend to give you something to treat the symptom, while male doctors tend to not only treat the symptom but also try to find out the cause of the symptom. They just seem to be more thorough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Hey :)

Quick question (mods please move to where is appropriate if needs be :)) but I'd like to move from Yasinelle to Implanon. I'm looking for something longer term to bridge me over to an age where I can be allowed more permenant options.

I've been told that I need to go to a doctor, have this ordered.. come back at another time of the month to have it inserted. Is this accurate? I'm looking for longer term options to bridge the gap between me doing that and trying to get myself 'sorted'.

If you're on your last pill packet, do you have to allow a certain period of time before you can have Implanon inserted?

Again, advice would be lovely, mods move if needs be - and if so :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Abi, I've merged your thread with this one /mod

I'd investigate either depo (injection every twelve weeks) or mirena as well as implanon if I were you tbh.

Implanon has some fairly negative points compared to the other two imo.

Search this thread first for info.

• Advertisement

Yes you have a consult visit and then come away with the prescription for the implannon or the IUS which you fill and then make the appointment to have it inserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Thanks Stheno and Sharrow :)

I'm looking for a solution that will tide me over for a few years I suppose. I can't get anything permenant done yet because I'm only (nearly) 32. I want to be covered, but sick of pill-taking most of my life.

What kind of gap does there need to be between taking Yasminelle and moving on to Implanon, or anything long term! I take my pill religiously, but I feel I'm getting too long in the tooth for this method, I really am sick of it. I don't want the worry of it any more.

Thanks in advance for advice :)

Once it's inserted then it's the same as the pill.
    If it's inserted with in 7 days of your last period your good to go, any other time in the cycle and it's a 7 day wait using extra precautions just like the pill.

I was all geared up to start the process to get my tubes tied when I turned 25 but honestly, I can't face going back to having periods, it's been nearly 10 years with out them, so I am happy to stick with the IUS, knowing that menopause doest hit in my family until the early 50s.

Plus having heard of two women who had them in and under went the change only finding out when they had it removed and thier dr did blood work, and so never suffered any of the side effects, the hot flashes, break through bleeding and all the rest, that seems like a pretty good plan to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Hey girls. Just looking for some advice on the implanon!

I'm currently taking Cerazette and losing a lot of hair on it / having periods but they're always late, so my doctor suggested I switch to the implant. He said I could make an appointment any time and collect the implant before I go in to see him and it will take about 15 minutes. I read online that you're supposed to get it inserted while you're on my period but my dr didn't say this so I'm just wondering if it matters?

Also has anyone been on cerazette and switched to the implant, how did you find the change?

I have been losing extra hair on cerazette (I already have alopecia so it's very depressing!) and my periods are always late. Last month I was 4 days late and this month I was two weeks late! I absolutely hate it. I tried to come off it at the beginning of the month and had really bad migranes and nausea to the point where I couldn't leave my bed for three days, and in the end I went back on it. Really hope that doesn't happen if I switch to the implanon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Abi wrote: »
    Hey :)

Quick question (mods please move to where is appropriate if needs be :)) but I'd like to move from Yasinelle to Implanon. I'm looking for something longer term to bridge me over to an age where I can be allowed more permenant options.

I've been told that I need to go to a doctor, have this ordered.. come back at another time of the month to have it inserted. Is this accurate? I'm looking for longer term options to bridge the gap between me doing that and trying to get myself 'sorted'.

If you're on your last pill packet, do you have to allow a certain period of time before you can have Implanon inserted?

Again, advice would be lovely, mods move if needs be - and if so :)

As one of the girls said there I would try for injection, since I got the implanon Iv been having side affects for pretty much the past two months straight, well one in particular. Its a right pain in the arse, thinking of getting it out and getting the injection instead, even though that means forking out for doctor and injection every three months :(

And yes you have a consultation first where the doc will explain how it works, show you the device and where it goes in your arm and answer and questions you have. he will write you a prescription and then you go get it and come back in at a later date specified by your doc (to do with your cycle) and have it insterted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Just wondering if anyone here knows (or could hazard a guess) as to how long it would take a pill to work?
    By work, I don't mean preventing pregnancy.
    I mean fully taking action the way it is meant to.

I started cerazette 2 weeks ago.
    I had the mirena removed 4 weeks ago.

With cerazette, you are not supposed to ovulate, but I feel as though I am ovulating right now.
    If I am ovulating, this means that it must not be working, right? (in the sense of method of action).

I am on this mini pill to stop my cycle from even being triggered, which should result in an absence of ovulation and period.
    Therefore achieving a decent quality of life for the first time in my life.

Sorry, I don't think I'm making sense, and I'm not sure how to word things any other way.

Basically, do you think it takes a few months to stop ovulation etc...?

Check the instructions but most oral contraceptive pills come into effect after 7 days of taking it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Sharrow wrote: »
    Check the instructions but most oral contraceptive pills come into effect after 7 days of taking it every day.

Thanks Sharrow :)

Yeah, I did that.

The instructions, anything I've read online, what the pharmacist, doctor, and gynae told me - None of these sources seem to indicate when it will begin working.

I asked the professionals specifically, and none of them knew.
    Just kept going on about the contraceptive side of things, when I couldn't care less about that! :)

I just thought someone here might know from personal experience or something.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Just wondering if anyone here knows (or could hazard a guess) as to how long it would take a pill to work?
    By work, I don't mean preventing pregnancy.
    I mean fully taking action the way it is meant to.

I started cerazette 2 weeks ago.
    I had the mirena removed 4 weeks ago.

With cerazette, you are not supposed to ovulate, but I feel as though I am ovulating right now.
    If I am ovulating, this means that it must not be working, right? (in the sense of method of action).

I am on this mini pill to stop my cycle from even being triggered, which should result in an absence of ovulation and period.
    Therefore achieving a decent quality of life for the first time in my life.

Sorry, I don't think I'm making sense, and I'm not sure how to word things any other way.

Basically, do you think it takes a few months to stop ovulation etc...?

I have have been on cerazette for over 6 months and I still get my period. I used to get it every 24 days but my past few periods have been late (by 4 days then by 2 weeks) I assume the pill is still working though? My dr said my period *may* stop because it does for a lot of women, that means it's not garaunteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cookie82

dee. wrote: »
    I have have been on cerazette for over 6 months and I still get my period. I used to get it every 24 days but my past few periods have been late (by 4 days then by 2 weeks) I assume the pill is still working though? My dr said my period *may* stop because it does for a lot of women, that means it's not garaunteed.

did you have any problems with cerazette in the beginning. im on it now 3 weeks & find it worse than the old one. my gp promised great things i think she lied to me!!

Advertisement