Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

cookie82 wrote: »
    did you have any problems with cerazette in the beginning. im on it now 3 weeks & find it worse than the old one. my gp promised great things i think she lied to me!!

My dr put me on it to stop my period as I'm losing a lot of hair (alopecia) but I have been on it 6 months and still have them so I feel like it's pointless to keep taking it. I went through a phase of constantly wanting food for about 3 or 4 weeks in the beginning, mood swings all of the time, I felt really depressed, tired, etc. About a month ago I got fed up of it and stopped taking it for 3 days and I really thought I was going to die! I had incredibly bad nausea and migranes, I barely got out of bed during those few days. I also felt really sad for no reason at all and couldn't stop crying. Plus even though I wasn't due a period for two weeks, it came the first evening I hadn't taken the cerazette. I took cerazette on the 4th day and period/sickness stopped. I still feel more "down" than usual and cerazette has definitely caused me to lose extra hair..I hate it. I never had spots before and my forehead has about ten pimples right now! Kind of a long rant, but I really hate cerazette. Going to try the implant soon I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

dee. wrote: »
    I have have been on cerazette for over 6 months and I still get my period. I used to get it every 24 days but my past few periods have been late (by 4 days then by 2 weeks) I assume the pill is still working though? My dr said my period *may* stop because it does for a lot of women, that means it's not garaunteed.

Thanks Dee,

Yeah, I honestly don't have a clue!

The gynae insisted that cerazette would prevent the fsh and lh hormones from being released, therefore inhibiting my cycle from the source.
    But when I asked more specific questions, she gave half a$$ed answers.

Ugh. I don't know!
    I'm in lots of pain, so I don't think it has stopped my ovulation this month anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cookie82

im finding it fair tough too mind you its better than yasmin. when i started taking it my back was killing me & headaches every day but i find that i seem to have an awful lot of spotting which worries me. im praying i dont get a regular period at the end of the month as my iron levels cant take it!! checked with my chemist as gp didnt give a lot of info and they say its perfectly normal give it 2 months and if it continues then contact gp. its one think i envy men about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gottalovegreys

Just wondering if anyone here knows (or could hazard a guess) as to how long it would take a pill to work?
    By work, I don't mean preventing pregnancy.
    I mean fully taking action the way it is meant to.

I started cerazette 2 weeks ago.
    I had the mirena removed 4 weeks ago.

With cerazette, you are not supposed to ovulate, but I feel as though I am ovulating right now.
    If I am ovulating, this means that it must not be working, right? (in the sense of method of action).

I am on this mini pill to stop my cycle from even being triggered, which should result in an absence of ovulation and period.
    Therefore achieving a decent quality of life for the first time in my life.

Sorry, I don't think I'm making sense, and I'm not sure how to word things any other way.

Basically, do you think it takes a few months to stop ovulation etc...?

hi flutterflye,

I've been on cerazette for about 6 years now, and it has not stopped my periods as it seems to have done for lots of women. BUT! It has helped immensely. It took a few months for spotting to settle down, but eventually means I have a period every two/three months which usually lasts less than a week. Compare this to life before cerazette, which was an agonisingly long, heavy, painful period every four weeks, sometimes lasting 3 weeks.

For me, cerazette changed my life in so many ways. My periods when they come are so much lighter than before, everything just seems manageable. In saying that, I'm starting to see some changes for me with it, but in fairness I have gotten 6 good years out of cerazette!

So the short version: it may not stop you ovulating, but may still help a lot :D

Hope it works out for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Hey girls. Just looking for some advice on the implanon!

I'm currently taking Cerazette and losing a lot of hair on it / having periods but they're always late, so my doctor suggested I switch to the implant. He said I could make an appointment any time and collect the implant before I go in to see him and it will take about 15 minutes. I read online that you're supposed to get it inserted while you're on my period but my dr didn't say this so I'm just wondering if it matters?

Also has anyone been on cerazette and switched to the implant, how did you find the change?

I have been losing extra hair on cerazette (I already have alopecia so it's very depressing!) and my periods are always late. Last month I was 4 days late and this month I was two weeks late! I absolutely hate it. I tried to come off it at the beginning of the month and had really bad migranes and nausea to the point where I couldn't leave my bed for three days, and in the end I went back on it. Really hope that doesn't happen if I switch to the implanon!

hey :) i done the opposite....got implanon removed and went to cerazette. i lose a lot of hair too and have late and disruptive period. (ive only had 1 so far) but these problems as well as the headaches (that must be why im getting them) for me are nothing compared to what implanon was like. i was depressed and very moody and very edgy (any little thing would set me off especially suggesting to change a plan :confused:) it made life hell for 1 year. id say try other things first!!!

• Advertisement

Actually, another quick question on cerazette.

I've been feeling all over the place emotionally recently.
    I'm not sure if it is related to the cerazette, removing the mirena, or some other factor.

I've only been on cerazette for two weeks.
    If it is the cerazette affecting my moods, do you think this will stabilise over time?

Obviously, different pills affect different people differently, but in your own experiences with the pill/mini pill, if you are getting side effects initially, do they lesson or dissapear over time, or continue to affect you indefinitely?

Thanks.

Actually, another quick question on cerazette.

I've been feeling all over the place emotionally recently.
    I'm not sure if it is related to the cerazette, removing the mirena, or some other factor.

I've only been on cerazette for two weeks.
    If it is the cerazette affecting my moods, do you think this will stabilise over time?

Obviously, different pills affect different people differently, but in your own experiences with the pill/mini pill, if you are getting side effects initially, do they lesson or dissapear over time, or continue to affect you indefinitely?

Thanks.

im on it almost 4 months now. it will get better over time :) although if you still have your cycle on it that can affect how you will feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

PucaMama wrote: »
    hey :) i done the opposite....got implanon removed and went to cerazette. i lose a lot of hair too and have late and disruptive period. (ive only had 1 so far) but these problems as well as the headaches (that must be why im getting them) for me are nothing compared to what implanon was like. i was depressed and very moody and very edgy (any little thing would set me off especially suggesting to change a plan :confused:) it made life hell for 1 year. id say try other things first!!!

Oh really? Hmm now I don't know what to do! My main reason for wanting to come off cerazette is the hairloss. I have alopecia so I really can't keep losing all of this extra hair. I have been on a few different pills in the past (combined pills) and they made me very sick. I have a pack of yasmin in my bag that I never tried though, maybe I'll give that a try before the implant.

Oh really? Hmm now I don't know what to do! My main reason for wanting to come off cerazette is the hairloss. I have alopecia so I really can't keep losing all of this extra hair. I have been on a few different pills in the past (combined pills) and they made me very sick. I have a pack of yasmin in my bag that I never tried though, maybe I'll give that a try before the implant.

ive heard that yasmin is better than most other pills. hope you get sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I was on cerazette for two months and couldn't get off it fast enough, I had a period for 6 weeks straight! Found Cilest to be the pill for me, don't know anyone else who's on it but I haven't had any problems with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

Hi Ladies,

Im seeking some advice and im hoping someone can help me:)

I have been on Dianette pill for 5 years, asked my doctor 3 months ago could i change to a different pill as the dianette was making me loopy and i was putting on alot of weight.

He gave me a 3 month course of Microlite to try and see how id get on and he also gave me a perscription for Implanon. He told me to try the Microlite for 3 months and if i didnt like it get the implanon and come back to him and he'd put it in..

Ok here's my dilema.. I went from Dianette to Microlite with no free 7day gap. After finishing the first month of Microlite i didnt get my period on my next free 7 days, so i took another months supply knowing i was not pregnant. So i finished that pack and Thank God i got my period because i was really starting to worry. But on saying that i taught i was going to be buckled in pain but its really really light , considering i didnt get a period in 2 months..

Im going into my last Microlite pack on Wed, and honestly i can feel a big change in myself, im much more up-beat and bubbly and happy, im full of energy again which i wasnt when i was on Dianette.

Should I stay with the Microlite and go on as i am or change to the Implanon??

How are people finding Implanon?? Its getting a lot of mixed and bad reviews, am i tempting faith going on it when the Microlite seems to be going okay so far??

Also ladies, if anyone is on microlite would ye give me some feedback on how ye are finding it?? Have your periods become lighter, and do ye have any side effects?! I know everyone is different but thanks for reading, sorry its long!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hey girls. Just looking for some advice on the implanon!

I'm currently taking Cerazette and losing a lot of hair on it / having periods but they're always late, so my doctor suggested I switch to the implant. He said I could make an appointment any time and collect the implant before I go in to see him and it will take about 15 minutes. I read online that you're supposed to get it inserted while you're on my period but my dr didn't say this so I'm just wondering if it matters?
    Implanon is effective immediately if you get it inserted when on the first 5 days of your period, otherwise it's not effective for a while. Doctor also told me they found there were fewer issues if it was inserted then also.

kingelmo wrote: »
    Should I stay with the Microlite and go on as i am or change to the Implanon??

How are people finding Implanon?? Its getting a lot of mixed and bad reviews, am i tempting faith going on it when the Microlite seems to be going okay so far??

Also ladies, if anyone is on microlite would ye give me some feedback on how ye are finding it?? Have your periods become lighter, and do ye have any side effects?! I know everyone is different but thanks for reading, sorry its long!!;)
    I have had no trouble so far but it is early days yet. Never had a problem with microlite, not much difference with lighter and no side effects
    No idea which would work for you but I wanted something that didn't require remembering stuff every day so I'm happier

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all!

I've had my implanon in three years now, must say I'm quite happy with it: There's been no babies anyway!

Lots has happened in my life the past three years, and I have struggled with depression a bit, but I can't say definitively if this was caused by the Implanon, I doubt it anyway, but that's just my personal experience.

I did gain a little bit of weight, but hey, I'd rather a belly than a baby! I also found that my hair has become a tiny bit greasier over the three years, but that's not really an issue - I just wash it more frequently.

My periods were non existent for about 2.5 years, but in the last while they have reappeared. They're fairly regular and shorter and lighter than before.

I'm due to get it out this week, and I made the REALLY stupid mistake of looking up videos online, dunno why i did it, i'm such an idiot!

Can anyone put me at ease? I'm terrified of having the doctor tugging away for twenty minutes or something awful like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

No reason to be worried. It is only a little nick and its out. Way quicker and easier than getting it in. When I had it out she told me to look away and I would feel a pinch. Next thing I knew she said done- I didnt feel a thing! and only had a tiny little nick on my arm. You will be fine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Hi guys I've just stopped taking my Yasmin pill, partly because of all the bad press it's gotten in America and partly because I just want to give my body a break from the synthetic hormones. I've been on Yasmin for 5 years now and was on cilest for 2 years before that so I'm glad to finally give my body a chance to get into it's own natural cycle again. However, I've been reading up on the side effects of stopping the pill and, to put it mildly, I'm more than just a little freaked out. Some users of Yasmin have reports terrible side effects after stopping which have lasted up to 6 months. On one hand I don't want to be putting unnecessary hormones into my body but on the other hand, I don't want to suffer awful side effects from stopping, especially when I never suffered from any side effects from taking it in the first place. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences from when they stopped taking it? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I had nothing after i stopped yasmin. But i did notice my hsir wasnt as healthy or shiney and my nails became more brittle....not major things for me. My natural cycle was back after 2 months but everyone is different. I was on it for 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Hey ladies, just want to ask a question about my pill. I'm on Cerazette for the last 3 months and for the last 3 months, I've bled constantly except for a 5 day break. So that's approximately 85 days of non-stop bleeding! It's not particularly heavy, but I do get period cramps with the bleeding. I read lots of reviews online and apparently bleeding up to 60 days and then getting no period is common, so I was trying to stick it out, but there's still no sign of this bleeding stopping, it's actually gotten quite heavy this week.

Should I just forget about it and go back to my doctor for a different pill? Other than the bleeding, I've had no side effects which is why I was trying to stick it out.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Hey ladies, just want to ask a question about my pill. I'm on Cerazette for the last 3 months and for the last 3 months, I've bled constantly except for a 5 day break. So that's approximately 85 days of non-stop bleeding! It's not particularly heavy, but I do get period cramps with the bleeding. I read lots of reviews online and apparently bleeding up to 60 days and then getting no period is common, so I was trying to stick it out, but there's still no sign of this bleeding stopping, it's actually gotten quite heavy this week.

Should I just forget about it and go back to my doctor for a different pill? Other than the bleeding, I've had no side effects which is why I was trying to stick it out.

I can't comment on your problems or advise you.

But just wanted to say that if you haven't already being taking iron, you should do so as soon as you can.
    That much blood loss could cause low iron/ferritin levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bitzi

Hi. Have been debating whether or not to get a coil put in as I suffer from super heavy periods, dont want it as a method of contraception as I have already had my children. Has anybody else tried this and has it worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

bitzi wrote: »
    Hi. Have been debating whether or not to get a coil put in as I suffer from super heavy periods, dont want it as a method of contraception as I have already had my children. Has anybody else tried this and has it worked?

I was first given the mirena coil eight years ago to deal with probable endomitriosis, for which I had symptoms of terrible pain, nausea, heavy periods etc. And I've never looked back! It transformed my life because it eliminated my periods (bar a tiny blood flow once a year or so), and therefore the monthly agony. I've been told it can have some side effects, but I have never experienced any, except a slightly puffy stomach when the coil is replaced after five years. For me, the mirena coil works, and I can highly recommend it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Nicman

Hello Ladies,
    I'm new to Boards so apologies if creating a new thread for this instead of joining a previous one is a no-no!
    So I was diagnosed with endo 4 years ago through a laporoscopy and had it removed at same time. They fitted the coil when in there due to it's "healing properties" ( keeps the levels of Oestregen low which is what causes or inflames endo).
    Since Nov last year I've started having cramps again and they've progressively worsened which brings me to now where I've had to take time off work/ cancel commitments/ spends full days in bed doubled over with pain. Also hormonally I'm a complete mess - all over the place and I went from having about 4 periods a year to one every 2-3 weeks now!
    SO.... I've seen a gyne recently to find out it appears that my endo is back and the prognosis is removing the coil ("in case it has just run out of steam a year early") and replacing with a new one or removing coil & going on the pill.
    The dilemma is if I replace the coil with a new one (taking into account that a coil costs from €200-300) I may still have to remove it a few weeks later if it's not working and go on the pill anyway.

Has anyone else been in this position, I'm stumped don't know what to do as I'm not a fan of the pill but at this stage the most pain free option is what I want to go with now??????
    Also I'm 30 & I've never had kids and worry that having the coil in for long periods might affect that (i know endo sufferers can be infertile anyway or have difficulty conceiving) and if I can have kids, plan on doing so within the next 2 ish years.
    What's your thoughts chicks? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You know the drill folks, NO medical advice. Your own story and support fine. Thanks. I'll move it to the applicable thread.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Is it a copper coil/IUCD or an IUS/Mirena which you had put in?

Given that you mentioned it 'running out of steam' I guess you mean the IUS.
    If the IUS worked for you last time then consider it again, but if you are going to start trying to conceive in the next two years then ask about other options. Such as the patch or the Nuvaring which have a lower dose of hormoanes.

I know someone who only had one ovary and had pretty sever endo and went on to have kids, so it's possible.

Its the Mirena coil. She said it should really last the full 5 years and it may be a case that my endo has come back regardless of the fact I have the coil in.
    are there any noticeable side effects with the patch/ nuvaring and how do they work? In what ways are they better than the pill?
    Thanks for the positive bit of info on your friend - that's why I haven't been on forums up until now for this cause I refuse to listen to horror stories and DO plan on having kids one way or another!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The patch and the nuvaring are alternate delivery systems for the same artificial hormones that is in the contraceptive pill, but due to how they work they have a smaller dose then the pill.

The patch goes on like a nicotine patch, you put one on and it lasts a week and you change it, so you do 3 weeks with patches and a week with out, like the pill, to have a period.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraceptive_patch

The nuvaring is a flexible plastic ring which you place inside the vagina like where a diaphram would go, and your body absorbs the hormones you leave it in for 3 weeks and do a week with out to have a period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NuvaRing

Both have the same possible side effects as the pill but as the delivery method is better, the dose of hormoanes is less so there is less of a chance of getting those side effects.

Read up on them and talk to your gyne about them as options.

Thanks a million for that - very informative and certainly not options I have been offered up until now. I'll look into it. Very helpful reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

For someone who is estrogen sensitive, perhaps consider mentioning a progesterone-only pill like cerazette, lots of people on here had positive experiences on it, including myself. ;)

Also try the IFPA if your GP is not being as helpful as you'd like, they are the specialists in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

LyndaMcL wrote: »

Hi LyndaMcL, I think you should ask your doctor in case something else is causing the bleeding!

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I recently got the Implanon (start of june). But since then I've had a bout of thrush (i admit I was stressed a helluva lot), and when I got my first period after insertion - it was both preceded and followed by a dark discharge - sorry for this description but like when near end of periods and the blood goes dark. Then that stopped but now theres a discharge again, different this time. Is this all normal? I recently got tests for STD's just in case and also my smear done too - all clear. I know it could be just my body adjusting so if thats the case, then I'll put up with it. I was on Depo-provera years ago for 1.5 yrs ish and periods stopped after 3 months but I suffered a bit from depression. Hopefully not with this (and hoping periods stop!).
    So anyone experience this? I can't take pills - mainly cos I find them difficult to swallow but also because I have a head like a sieve!
    thanks for reading and looking forward to others views/experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Went for my first smear test last week at 25 and the Dr took a while to find my cervix. In the end I had to raise my hips and eventually she found it and said it had been hiding. It wasn't particularly uncomfortable but I imagined it would take less time, or at least that was what I had thought by talking to other women. I was mid cycle at the time and the Dr is experienced and registered under the cervical screening system. I wasn't worried at the time and the Dr didn't seem worried either but I can't help but wonder now why my cervix seems far back? Has anyone else had similar experiences? Is it just a physiological difference in women and if so what significance does it have? Is it just that speculums are designed as a 'one size' fits all scenario or should my cervix be easier to find? I am sexually active and during missionary we would often put a cushion under my bum, but I thought that was relatively normal for sex in that position? The Dr even suggested I bring a cushion next time - not that I indulged her in the fact that I have a particular cushion for that job at home.

Advertisement