Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Sound like you have a posterior facing cervix, it's unusual but not rare.
    It just means it tilts backwards instead of forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Nicman

Cool, thanks - i'll ask her if that particular pill is an option for me. Cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sharrow wrote: »
    Sound like you have a posterior facing cervix, it's unusual but not rare.
    It just means it tilts backwards instead of forwards.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Ladies, can anyone tell me about STI screening as in whats involved? Im thinking of getting one done as i have never had one done, ive had smears done but not STI screens. Ive heard it is expensive but that doesnt worry me as it is something that can potentially save your life etc. Is it a blood test and urine test?

It's a visual inspection, a blood test, urine test and swabs of the genitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Hey girls so I've mentioned on here a few times that I'm on cerazette and have been for over 6 months now. I still get my periods although usually a couple of days late.

My last period began on Monday 4 July, which was exactly 2 weeks ago today. It lasted until friday/sat and then on the monday (July 11) I began having brown discharge, the same as the kind at the end of your period. It's another week later and I still have it which is beginning to bother me. Is it anything to worry about or has anyone else had a similar experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Hey, does anyone know any pharmacies in Dublin that sell NorLevo (the newer morning after pill)? I know Boots do the morning after pill but it's nearly 50 euro and apparently NorLevo is cheaper and more effective. Anyone know anywhere in Dublin City Centre, Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire that sells it? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bubble_1985

Hi, Im 25 years old and have been using contraceptives since i was 16, i have always had abnormally heavy periods, ie 1 super plus tampon and 1 pad per hour for 3/7 days of my period. when i was 20 i stopped taking the pill (microlyte) i hadnt had any bad side effects from this but i just felt like i didnt need it anymore.

At 21 I decided to go back on microlyte but whatever about my body i started spotting all the time, doctor told me that i needed a stronger pill and she gave me cilest. Didnt think anything of it as my sister had been taking it and had no problems. The week of my 21st birthday i developed in a matter of days UNBELIEVABLE acne all over my chinand sides of my face, it was very painful and looked horrible. Went back to doctor, she blamed the cilest.

Next pill was dianette to control the acne, that lead to a 30 day long period!!! Very fed up at this stage i decided i wouldnt take the pill anymore. After many dermatalogical apointments and about 6 months of antibiotics i was acne free!!

At 23, I decided i needed contraception and opted for the pill injection, against the advice of my own doctor. Wish I listened, It protected me but I got a period in the 2nd injection that lasted ages, went to the doctor she said i shouldnt have got the injection so i decided against getting a 3rd injection......THAT PERIOD ENDED 12 MONTHS LATER!!!

Safe to say im afraid to try anything. my doctor thinks my best bet is the mirena coil and i have been thinking about it for the past year but im still undecided. Now ive read on the side effects im wondering will i be f**king myself up completely??

Any advice or anyone who is in the same position???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nyarlthotepful

I'm nineteen years old and I have tried two different kinds of pill thus far: yasmin and dianette. Both gave me horrible depression and anxiety and yasmin made me bleed all the time. I've had about enough of this pill taking and would like to try a different form of contraception. What are the chances of me becoming depressed on other kinds of pill if that was my only option?
    The contraceptive implant looks appealing to me and I'd like to know a little bit more about peoples' experiences of it. Thanks! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Talk to your GP about different forms of contraceptives available? A non-hormonal one might suit you better if you find you're having bad side effects...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Remember folks. NO medical advice. Sharing experiences fine, but as fluorescence said your first port of call should be a qualified health professional.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I was on both Yasmin and Dianette and yes I do think they can have a massive effect on your mood. I'm much happier since I went off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, just wondering has anyone taken Norlevo MAP? How bad were the side effects and how quick should they 'kick in' after taking it? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 scottishtulip

Sorry if this is the wrong place but i searched through old threads and couldn't find an answer to this query!

I had two abnormal smears so at the start of July went to the national maternity hospital for a colposcopy. They did a biopsy and said the results would be sent out to me. Does anyone know how long it takes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I was thinking about going on the pill. First time at 28. I'd like to ask a couple of questions as im sure alot would know. Im not too sure how it all works.

When you are given a prescription, when do you start taking it? I have read that some of them you take it on the first day of or period? Is this true? Or is it the last day of your period?

Does the medical card cover the cost of the pill?The reason why im asking this cause i have just been granted the medical card. I am also due to start my period any day. If i was to start tomorrow and get an appointment at the doctors, would i be ready to take it.

Sorry, i sound stupid.

Yes the pill is covered by a medical card and usually you start taking it on the first day of your period, the instructions which come with the packet will explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Quick question. I started taking cerazette 2 months ago and have yet to have any bleeding. Is this normal? I changed to this pill from noriday as I was experiencing very heavy periods. Im a bit worried now having nothing at all now. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Xxhaylsxx wrote: »
    Quick question. I started taking cerazette 2 months ago and have yet to have any bleeding. Is this normal? I changed to this pill from noriday as I was experiencing very heavy periods. Im a bit worried now having nothing at all now. :confused:

I'm on Noriday and have spoken to my doctor about switching to Cerazette; from what she said what you're experiencing is very common. She told me that lots of women don't get periods at all when they're on Cerazette, and some just get them a few times a year, while others have normal periods. Seems more common than not to have either none or at the very least less than you would on other pills though! Apparently there's no problem with this unless you have PCOS.

Do you mind me asking how you're finding Cerazette overall? I'm seriously thinking about switching to it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

im on cerazette at the min, i find it brilliant. didnt have a period for over a year. in the last two months ive had a good few days of spotting but i was told by my doctor thats normal aswell.

as piglet has said above me, you can get a mix of no periods, spotting, and normal periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bubble_1985

Nausea with in first hour or two of taking it. think it could be in your head tho as they tell u specifically NOT TO GET SICK lol so all u think about is getting sick haha!! ive taken it twice and gotten an extremely heavy period in the few days after wether i was due or not

• Advertisement

Hi. I'm looking for a study on the effectiveness of nuvaring, the failure rates and all that kind of thing. I'd also like to hear about any of your experiences on it if you wouldn't mind. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuvaring

Plenty of info there and links to the studys on the bottom of the page.

Sharrow wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuvaring

Plenty of info there and links to the studys on the bottom of the page.

I've read that a few times and I can't help but notice that the failure rates are not referenced as they do not contain a citation beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I've been on the nuvaring nearly 10 years and have regularly (long terms partners) had sex on it and I've never even had a scare! I love, love, love * infinity the nuvaring and afaik the success rate or what ever it's called is the same as others!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ronnie88

just on the nuvaring topic...I had been considering my contraceptive options recently and the doctor mentioned nuvaring as I tend to be very forgetful with taking the pill. Have read that the nuvaring can fall out sometimes...is this true? Is it easy to use? Probably stupid questions but feel its probably the best option for me to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

ronnie88 wrote: »
    just on the nuvaring topic...I had been considering my contraceptive options recently and the doctor mentioned nuvaring as I tend to be very forgetful with taking the pill. Have read that the nuvaring can fall out sometimes...is this true? Is it easy to use? Probably stupid questions but feel its probably the best option for me to look at.
    In ten years it's fallen out once, it is easy to spot on the bed and unless you are seriously vigorous you'll be sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

I'm on the noriday pill and have no got a period on it, has this happened to anybody else who has been on this pill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I have just been prescribed microlite. I have been reading the booklet that came with it. Its all a bit confusing. When do you start taking it? What time of the day? If your period starts in the evening, do you take it then?

It also mentioned that theres certain drugs that make it ineffective. Are you ok with normal paracetamol or nurofen? I take it when you go to a chemist and if you're asked are you on any medication, do you mention your on this? Even if its over the counter stuff?

Are you more at risk of getting migraines? I do get them sometimes after food. But my doctor never mentioned anything about headaches or migraines.

Another question, do you take it at the same time everyday? I presume morning is better but can it be taken any time in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Getting full blown periods every week and a half to two weeks on cerazette :mad:
    The pain and emotional liability and debilitating fatigue and weakness that comes with each period is not getting better.
    I've to give it at least 3 month though.
    I swear to god, I'll rip my own womb out by then if this doesn't help me in a few months! (They won't take it out- I'm "too young")
    Sorry, just ranting really!

• Advertisement

flutterflye that doesn't sound good at all, please go back to your dr.

Advertisement