Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 goodsquisheee

hi, sorry if it's been mentioned before but i had a thrawl through and couldn't see if anyone happens to know the price of the implanon? deeply considering getting it!also does anyone know if it has any benefits for those of us who get a bit "too emotional" (turn scary)???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Yes, you need a prescription for the tablet...DIFLUCAN (thrush tablet).

Just explain that you've tried all creams etc. and nothing is working and the irritation is driving you bonkers! I know the feeling!

If its a female doctor, they should understand, some maleones are nice,some just are not. LOL!

Good Luck. ;)

I need to take this around once every 4 months for intestinal candida. After being ripped off by my doctor on 2 occasions (60 quid for visit, 15 quid for prescription), I realised you could buy it over the counter in Boots in the UK so began to stock up (Canesten Oral is same thing - its around a tenner, also Boots do a generic thats even cheaper) every time I was in NI or the UK.

You can also buy same active ingredient unbranded from amazon marketplace sellers for 3 pound or so, but I cannot comment on the legalities of having this sent to Ireland as its not an OTC medicine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

hi, sorry if it's been mentioned before but i had a thrawl through and couldn't see if anyone happens to know the price of the implanon? deeply considering getting it!also does anyone know if it has any benefits for those of us who get a bit "too emotional" (turn scary)???

its 120euro once you have a drugs payment card, if you dont have one bring your pps number with you when you go the pharmacy and they should be able to set you up

as far as I know it ranges between 150-170euro to get it put in. Noriday turned me into a ranging b**** for 2 weeks out of the month, nothing like that with the implanon.

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 11 goodsquisheee

thanks for the help psycho-hope!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I need to take this around once every 4 months for intestinal candida. After being ripped off by my doctor on 2 occasions (60 quid for visit, 15 quid for prescription), I realised you could buy it over the counter in Boots in the UK so began to stock up (Canesten Oral is same thing - its around a tenner, also Boots do a generic thats even cheaper) every time I was in NI or the UK.

You can also buy same active ingredient unbranded from amazon marketplace sellers for 3 pound or so, but I cannot comment on the legalities of having this sent to Ireland as its not an OTC medicine here.

Wow that's great to hear.

I have to take it every 4 months or so as well.

Actually I have to take it everytime I eat bread! My body just can't handle the yeast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Just wondering if anyone's had the experience of bleeding a good bit on Cerazette initially, but it then all settling down? I started on it a month ago and have been bleeding for most of the last two weeks, but I'm REALLY hoping it will sort itself out because other than that I'm really happy with this pill. Would love someone to tell me it will be fine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Em maybe I shouldn't reply then hun... Cerazette for me was a 6 week period with no break until I finally gave in and came off it. From reading posts on here though, most women seem to stop having periods or have very little bleeding with Cerazette. Hopefully it settles down for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Em maybe I shouldn't reply then hun... Cerazette for me was a 6 week period with no break until I finally gave in and came off it. From reading posts on here though, most women seem to stop having periods or have very little bleeding with Cerazette. Hopefully it settles down for you.

Uh oh! :( Thanks for sharing though, I'm really impatient to find out whether it's going to improve so it's great to hear others experiences! :)

Wow that's great to hear.

I have to take it every 4 months or so as well.

Actually I have to take it everytime I eat bread! My body just can't handle the yeast.

Yeah, same as me, I can either live a yeast, sugar, msg and soya free diet or take the tablet every few months!! Its the pill thats the problem I believe, Im on Mercilon - it destroys some good stuff in your gut that allows the yeast growth to get out of control.

Apparently extra virgin coconut oil (made from fresh coconut meat not copra), is as good as the Diflucan, I havent had a bout with which to test it yet, but I did buy some online - it keeps for years so Ill try it out at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sashmo

To all ladies
    Please don't forget to keep up to date on your cervical smears. It's so important. I'm someone who has kept up to date but still had two results of some abnormal cells. I had my first colposcopy in July. I was in dread but I needn't have been, there was nothing to it. I had what is called a punch biopsy, which is no more uncomfortable than the smear test itself. My result was CIN 1 which is an abnormality that should return to normal naturally. Well my second colposcopy was today, and thing seemed to be the same. Which on the negative side means things are not back to normal. Now I've just got to wait for the result of todays procedure. I'm not in the least bit worried because I know the hospital are following up everything.

But just think what could happen if the regular smear tests aren't done? Bear this in mind anyone who is putting it off making your appointment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Hey all, not looking for advice just experiences.

In my late 20s, for the first time earlier this year I experienced spotting for a day or two in the middle of my cycle. As it's happened every month since I booked a smear test today and am waiting for the results. The nurse said if that comes back clear I should visit the GP and get a referral to see if something else is wrong (which I will).

In the meantime just wondering how many of you experience this or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sashmo

To AnnyHallsal
    I experienced spotting too over the last two years. Once I mentioned it to a doctor when on a visit for another purpose. No more was done about it, so concider yourself very lucky you have been heeded!
    You're following it through and best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Sharrow wrote: »
    Some women are just that way, I'd suggest getting panty liners.

Works for me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Dr. Astronaut

ouch :( wrote: »
    But the doctor never knows anything about anything. I've been to millions of consultants for bad period pains (costly, costly endeavor) and they all say its probably endometriosis so I went on the pill. I was on it for 2 years, then this summer my stomach was sore all the time for no reason, then it went away. The doctor says nothing is on the scans and the only option otherwise is surgery, and I really don't want to do that :(

It's been a long time since your post, so maybe this won't be helpful. What you're describing could well be endometriosis, which sucks. Although I can't give you medical advice, it might be worthwhile to ask about ovarian cysts. I know a bunch of girls with this problem and it causes pain that will suddenly get worse and then go away. If you've had one burst, it's really painful but since the cyst is gone by the time they do a scan, they don't see anything. As far as I know, they're not sinister or anything, just painful and a real nuisance. I hope your pain goes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I've noticed that I've started to get headaches around my period. They are not that bad, its just that I rarely get headaches. I've also noticed that over the years my period is getting heavier and longer.

I'm not looking for med advice, just wanted to know do people find that their periods change as they get older. I know when I was a teenager I used to have crippling cramps but nowhere near as bad any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

I had the mirena coil put in, in Jan 07, it should be due to be replaced Jan 2012, do I need to wait until then exactly?
    I dont want to run the risk of waiting until the current one is expired (or whatever the phrase is) to get a new one put in and find out i'm preggers.

Can it be done on the same day?

advice appreciated, thanks

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I've noticed that I've started to get headaches around my period. They are not that bad, its just that I rarely get headaches. I've also noticed that over the years my period is getting heavier and longer.

I'm not looking for med advice, just wanted to know do people find that their periods change as they get older. I know when I was a teenager I used to have crippling cramps but nowhere near as bad any more.

I am always prone to headaches and back pain around my period. When I was a teenager (nearly 40 now), I used to wake up during the night with such bad back pain that it literally felt like my back was breaking. That went away for years but recently Ive been having some period related back pain again - its like tension pain.

Over the years my period has gotten lighter and less long - so it does definitely change with time. Bearing in mind Ive been on the pill since age 17 - even with that constant, things have changed.

I also used to get such bad pain as a teenager that on 2 seperate occasions I passed out and my lips went blue - yikes!! Thats not normal!! However, the last time it happened was 20 years ago so I think I can safetly say that particular symptom is well gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Dr. Astronaut

I'm in my mid-twenties and have definitely found that my period has changed over the years, both in terms of heaviness and of related symptoms. I also found it changed with any major weight gain/loss. I'd say if your headaches are really bothering you, though, go talk to a doctor (I hate headaches more than pretty much anything else, so I'd be trying to make them stop if it were me) and see if there's anything can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

coolabula wrote: »
    I had the mirena coil put in, in Jan 07, it should be due to be replaced Jan 2012, do I need to wait until then exactly?
    I dont want to run the risk of waiting until the current one is expired (or whatever the phrase is) to get a new one put in and find out i'm preggers.

Can it be done on the same day?

advice appreciated, thanks

Yes you can have the current one taken out and a replacement fitted in the one appointment, you can have it done before the current one expires, talk to your dr about arranging it.

I had that done last time around and am planning to have the same done again.

For the last two years me and himself have been using natural family planning plus condoms during the risky weeks, we were open to the idea of conceiving. Recently our circumstances changed and we really wouldn't like to, not yet. I am wary of taking hormonal birth control because 1) I'm a moody cow. I do have a diagnosed mood disorder, and I'm worst around my period; and 2) I'm a smoker. I know it is rare but a friend had a stroke while being on the pill because she smoked.

I am considering the copper coil. Have been told it's not available in Ireland anymore?

Also heard some women say it punctured their wombs?

Feedback would be good, thanks!

• Advertisement

Yes the IUCD AKA the copper coil is available here and if your dr can't do it you can get it done in most family planning clinics.

I would also suggest talking to your dr about the other types of hormonal contraception,
    there are options other then the pill which put a lower dose in your body.

There is the IUS which goes in the womb like a coil but delivers a dose of hormones which is only 1/5 of the pill and last for 5 years and is as good as getting your tubes tied.

There is the contraceptive patch, which again has a lower dose as you wear it like a nictotine patch and it goes into your blood stream.

There is a nuvaring which you insert into the vagina and leave there for 3 weeks, again a lower dose then the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Ladies.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Please please take the time to know your breasts and if in doubt-check it out!!!! Not all lumps are malignant.

www.cancer.ie 1800 200 700 National Cancer Helpline

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FayeRayRay

Hi ladies. Recently i have considered using a new form of contraception. Thoughts and opinions on your experience ? would you recommend it ?

Thanks

x

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

Well I came off the pill around August I think,had a normal bleed as I did when on a break from the pill then on 23rd sept I had what I thought was a period and since then iv had pink discharge on and off and again today I seem to have gotten another period :/ . I would just like to know if anyone has had similar symptoms when coming off the pill,I was on it 2 years so I did expect my body to be mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Yeah it can take a few months to regulate again, its different for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Hi ladies,

I'm not sure, but I think I may have thrush. I've used the canesten cream but it doesn't seem to be working.

I was just wondering how would the doctor test for it if I was to get it checked out. I get really uncomfortable in awkward situations so I'm trying to avoid going to the doctor if I can. That and the €60 fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I'm not sure, but I think I may have thrush. I've used the canesten cream but it doesn't seem to be working.

I was just wondering how would the doctor test for it if I was to get it checked out. I get really uncomfortable in awkward situations so I'm trying to avoid going to the doctor if I can. That and the €60 fee!

I had the same thing a few weeks ago I had to go to the doc he gave me a tablet for it, worked straight away he said anti biotics don't work as they make thrush worse

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

coolabula wrote: »
    I had the same thing a few weeks ago I had to go to the doc he gave me a tablet for it, worked straight away he said anti biotics don't work as they make thrush worse

Canesten also comes as a pessary which can be bought over the counter in pharmacies.
    Thrush is a fungal ailment,so the only medical treatment is anti-fungals. Diflucan tablets (anti-fungal)can also be used but have to be prescribed, and are quite unsettling to take.
    Sorry,Eabhabear, can't think of any way around this except going to a GP or better still,a Family Planning Clinic where they are usually more comfortable talking to patients about sensitive issues,( and would take a swab,no questions asked) and get to the root of your problem.In the meantime,try applying natural yogurt before bedtime?
    Take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Thanks for the replies. If I go to the doctor do they need to examine that area before writing the prescription or is there some external way they can test it?

• Advertisement

they need to examine the area and if lab tests are needed swabs can be taken.

Advertisement