Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I'm not sure, but I think I may have thrush. I've used the canesten cream but it doesn't seem to be working.

I was just wondering how would the doctor test for it if I was to get it checked out. I get really uncomfortable in awkward situations so I'm trying to avoid going to the doctor if I can. That and the €60 fee!

Using just the cream I find useless - if you can find the packs with cream and pessary, I find them much better. For one particularly awful case I had to go to the docs and they gave a prescribed pessary after examination; they need to determine what the issue actually is before they will suggest/prescribe medication.

All the best :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DDen

msthe80s wrote: »
    Ladies.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Please please take the time to know your breasts and if in doubt-check it out!!!! Not all lumps are malignant.

www.cancer.ie 1800 200 700 National Cancer Helpline
    Get tested! Had ovarian cancer. Found out then that I have BRCa 1 gene- despite the fact I was assured 10 years ago that my father couldn't have been a carrier therefore I should not worry about it. High risk of breast cancer also but not candidate for elective mastectomy yet due to recent medical history. Oh to turn back that clock! Now looking at round 2 of chemo etc. Wondering if anyone knows about treatment centres which offer cold cap treatment to prevent chemo hair loss outside Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Hi all,
    I've suffered with the dreaded pms for years - I find as I've gotten older (early 40s), it's affecting me more and more - the symptoms remain the same (low moods, feeling and looking 'grey' in the face, tiredness, spots - at my age! - etc etc) but it's lasting over 2wks these days:( My GP has suggested I get the coil.
    I have tried a few different pills over the years, but they have never agreed with me and I tend to get alot of headaches and cramping on any pill I've tried.

So, I would love to hear from those of you who found the coil worked to help with your PMS specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The coil/IUCD won't help with PMS.
    The Mirena/IUS will as it's a device which sits in the womb dispensing hormones.

Which one was it the dr suggested?

Oh sorry, perhaps it was the Mirena he meant? I haven't made an appointment to get it done - it was just in the course of conversation (as I'd gone to my GP about something different) when I was telling him how tired I am lately, and that I never seem to get a break from either pms or actual periods, that he mentioned I should get it for PMS.

• Advertisement

I've the mirena and as I don't get periods at all, so I don't get pms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I want to go back on the pill in the next month or so.

I was on it about two years ago and I still have a 3 months worth packet at home. I looked at the exp date and it is Nov 2011. Should they be okay to use for the next 3 months? I've heard before that the expiry dates on medications indicate a date a lot earlier than is necessary for legal reasons, but a second opinion would be good. I wouldn't be using the pill as the only contraception.

check with the chemist that dispensed them.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I was on it about two years ago and I still have a 3 months worth packet at home.

I wouldn't be using the pill as the only contraception.

While it's true that expiration dates are usually very conservative, the efficiency of the pill for contraception shouldn't be your only concern. Before taking the pill, just like when you started the first time, you need to discuss it with a health professional, usually a doctor, and get a check up for blood pressure etc. plus talk through risk factors and side effects and such. The information about your pill, your suitability for that particular pill and the state of health of your body could have changed a lot in two years. Best to talk to a doctor first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

With regards to the expiry date on the pills, personally a couple of months either way wouldn't bother me. Especially if it wasn't the only method of contraception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Sashmo

L.L.E.T.Z.

I'm going to have this procedure done next month. Foolishly I watched some You-tube videos about it and now I don't think I'm as brave as I thought I was. I'd love to hear from someone who says "there was nothing to it!". What are my chances?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Sashmo wrote: »
    L.L.E.T.Z.

I'm going to have this procedure done next month. Foolishly I watched some You-tube videos about it and now I don't think I'm as brave as I thought I was. I'd love to hear from someone who says "there was nothing to it!". What are my chances?

Thanks.
    Had it done twice. Never ever watch you tube videos!!
    It's not pleasant , but don't get worried. It's uncomfortable but not majorly painful.
    Just don't get too worried xx

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sashmo

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Had it done twice. Never ever watch you tube videos!!
    It's not pleasant , but don't get worried. It's uncomfortable but not majorly painful.
    Just don't get too worried xx

I've had this procedure done earlier today. I don't know why (actually I do) I worried so much. It was just fine. I sailed through without a worry. I didn't find it uncomfortable the doc and the nurse were very reassuring.

Now let's hope the results are also just fine!

Thanks Snoopy 1!

I hope this will help anyone else who thinks this is a horrid thing to have to go through.

Sashmo wrote: »
    L.L.E.T.Z.

Thanks.

Had it done twice too. Nothing to it - I didn't feel a thing - but for the embarrassment of having your legs in stirrups (these were the days before I'd given birth - nothing would embarrass me now!).

I have smears every 12 months now and a nurse recently told me she could see the mark left from the lletz - apparently, the tissue is burned away in a circle all around the nasty cells - I thought it was mad that it could be seen by the naked eye though!

Edit - just read that you had it done - I got the all clear a week later - best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I'm not sure, but I think I may have thrush. I've used the canesten cream but it doesn't seem to be working.

I was just wondering how would the doctor test for it if I was to get it checked out. I get really uncomfortable in awkward situations so I'm trying to avoid going to the doctor if I can. That and the €60 fee!

€60 = You just tell your Dr you have it and s/he will give you the one pill and cream straight away, works really quickly.

€15-20 = Buy pessary (and cream small) uncomfortable discharge if youre someone who doesnt like pads or will be out and about. Works slows, there is a one pessary treatment and a slower 3 pessary treatment.

If this is a reoccurring issue it may be a simple case of sexual partner ping pong, even though its not an sti. If you have a partner who has had swelling or pain on his penis he has to take the tablet and use cream or else he might re infect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm in my mid twenties and hoping to start on the pill for the first time for contraceptive reasons. As I'm now based in Dublin and I don't have a regular GP doctor here I'm thinking of going to the Well Woman centre, but I have a few quick (stupid) questions.

-What kind of questions can I expect to be asked by the doctor? (I assume it is a doctors appointment I will have to ask for and not a nurse?)

-Is it easy enough for new patients to get appointments here? Will I have to wait long for an appointment?

-I assume the doctors here only deal with 'womenly issues' and so during my appointment I couldn't really mention a minor completely unrelated issue I have?

Thanks for any help/advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

I'm in my mid twenties and hoping to start on the pill for the first time for contraceptive reasons. As I'm now based in Dublin and I don't have a regular GP doctor here I'm thinking of going to the Well Woman centre, but I have a few quick (stupid) questions.

-What kind of questions can I expect to be asked by the doctor? (I assume it is a doctors appointment I will have to ask for and not a nurse?)

-Is it easy enough for new patients to get appointments here? Will I have to wait long for an appointment?

-I assume the doctors here only deal with 'womenly issues' and so during my appointment I couldn't really mention a minor completely unrelated issue I have?

Thanks for any help/advice:)

1. When I went to my Dr. (I think its a Dr. rather than a nurse that prescribes the pill) about this he didn't ask too much as he knows my medical history, you might have more questions because the Dr. doesn't know you. He asked about headaches/ migraines I think. He took my blood pressure & did again recently when I went back for another prescription. I'd say they'll talk to you about the different types of pill.

2. Cant answer I'm afraid

3. When I go, I usually have a few things to bring up- as a general practitioner the Dr. will deal with many different complaints, why shouldn't you bring up non 'womanly issues', you're paying for their time & expertise. Apart from that, I would think that the Dr. should have all your medical info- what you think is 'unrelated' might not be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

What kind of questions can I expect to be asked by the doctor? (I assume it is a doctors appointment I will have to ask for and not a nurse?)

are you sexually active, how long have you been sexually active (for calculating smear tests etc.), have you been on birth control before, family medical history (esp of breast cancer, early female strokes etc.), if you smoke etc. If you tell the receptionist you're looking to make an appointment re birth control you'll automatically be seeing a doctor
    Is it easy enough for new patients to get appointments here? Will I have to wait long for an appointment?
    Very easy, I was waiting a week the first time but only because I had limited free space for an appointment
    Mention away, they might not be able to help you out but I'd give it a go anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hi, sorry if it's been mentioned before but i had a thrawl through and couldn't see if anyone happens to know the price of the implanon? deeply considering getting it!also does anyone know if it has any benefits for those of us who get a bit "too emotional" (turn scary)???

WWC has the prices on their website, about 250 for the thing itself i think and then consultation stuff

mine has turned me "too emotional" and im getting quite fed up with it
    different for everyone though honestly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Does anyone know where it's possible to buy the Evra patch? Do you need a prescription for it or can you just buy it in the pharmacy? I'm looking for something short term (only need it for 3 weeks) and thought it might be a better alternative to getting the depo provera injection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

Siuin wrote: »
    Does anyone know where it's possible to buy the Evra patch? Do you need a prescription for it or can you just buy it in the pharmacy? I'm looking for something short term (only need it for 3 weeks) and thought it might be a better alternative to getting the depo provera injection

Just like any other hormonal contraceptive, you'll need a prescription for the patch. You'll have to see a doctor, explain your history etc and have your blood-pressure taken. They'll be able to talk through all available options with you and help you choose the contraceptive that's right for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

That's great- thanks a mill Lace!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Teaandcoffee

Hi,

Wondering has anyone else had similar symptoms.

I came off the pill just over a year ago and my period never came back. I was getting a bit anxious and done something very stupid. I started a new pack of pills about two weeks ago thinking it might encourage my periods to return:o:rolleyes:

To cut a long story short I've bleed for almost every day of the two weeks. I've stopped taking the pills and am still bleeding but not as heavy. I'm worried sick and afraid to go to my Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Hi,

Wondering has anyone else had similar symptoms.

I came off the pill just over a year ago and my period never came back. I was getting a bit anxious and done something very stupid. I started a new pack of pills about two weeks ago thinking it might encourage my periods to return:o:rolleyes:

To cut a long story short I've bleed for almost every day of the two weeks. I've stopped taking the pills and am still bleeding but not as heavy. I'm worried sick and afraid to go to my Doctor.

Go back to your GP or whoever prescribed it for you, you could just have had a reaction to that pill and need to change to a different one but go ask your doctor, nobody reacts to pills exactly the same way so don't go on anyone else's experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hi,

Nothing at all to be afraid of, all you're going to get is sorted out. Go back today if at all possible (cos it's hard on your body to be bleeding for 2 solid weeks and you need to get this fixed) and explain exactly what's happened. You aren't, by a long shot, the first person to try & diy their way out of a situation like this and it is fixable. Just go to the Dr & be 100% honest about what's happened, they've heard & seen it all before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Alright who else notices hair regrowth being really different?

Haven't been doing anything different in the last 6 months.. hormones maybe?

Although I know what you use and how will affect regrowth. just wondering if anyone is noticing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

are you sexually active, how long have you been sexually active (for calculating smear tests etc.), have you been on birth control before, family medical history (esp of breast cancer, early female strokes etc.), if you smoke etc.

I've been to a few different doctors for birth control over the years and was only ever asked "are you sexually active" - none of the rest though (Which is kind of frightening because breast cancer etc is very common in my family)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Hey everyone..back with a question about the pill.

I recently switched to Yasmin because the cerazette was doing nothing for me. I just began my second pack this week so I haven't been on it too long. Overall no major side effects (a bit emotional 2-3 days before i got my period) that said...SPOTS...I have loads of them! For the first time in my life. I wouldn't care about them too much but they are so painful.

Swollen, massive, and really painful cyst-like spots. I got 2 on my chin and 3 on my forehead during the 2nd/3rd weeks and thought it was a coincidence (even though I rarely get spots, let alone massive sore ones!) but when I was on my "7 free days" they went down and almost disappeared..then I started the new pack Thursday morning and by friday night 2 more had started coming up :( Did anyone else get this with Yasmin (or any pill) and did it go away?

Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jeaniemc1

Hey guys,

I have seen many posts regarding cystitis in online womans forums and having been a long sufferer of this I'd like to tell you what I find good for relief :

- Do not drink cranberry juice that you can buy in the shops - it is full of sugar and will help the bacteria to multiply!! Go to a health food shop and get the purest form you can find!!

- I have seen in many websites advising against drinking water - I do not understand this at all! It may hurt when going to the bathroom but theres some relief at least that you actually have to go!! It also will help against the infection spreading which may lead to a UTI (v.bad times!). I try to drink a mininum of 3 litres a day obviously somedays that is more attainable than others - just dont let yourself get thirsty!!

- Vitamin C this is unreal. I have berocca every morning due to the high content of Vit C - it helps kill any bacteria that may be floating around!

- Apple cider vinegar again makes your wee too acidic for the bacteria to survive. A teaspoon in a pint of water is plenty!

- Bread soda (teaspoon) in a pint water has the opposite effect. This makes your wee too basic and as a result bacteria cannot survive!

- NB) Either use the apple cider vinegar approach or the bread soda approach as using both is counter productive :)

- Pantyliners are a must! I have found my attacks are far less frequent since using them :)

- I have been told that the cystitis treatments you can buy in a pharmacy clenses and sterilises your bladder. I think the treatment is for two days - if you still have cystitis after this I think its best to go to the doc!! The infection may have spread!

- Food allergies!! I always thought stress in my life and cystitis went hand in hand. That was until I took a week off work and got it again! This made me look elsewhere i.e. to what I ate! It was safe to say that although stress may contribute to an attack it may not be the only cause. If you can think back 48 hours on what you had eaten you may be able to pinpoint what food is causing this! So far I have found tomato based foods are causing attacks for me but I'm sure everyone is different.

I hope this helps a bit yee guys! I know well how painful and horrible this condition is!

Cheers,

Jx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

Hey Guys,

Quick one for you. I had a smear recently having not gone for one for about 7 years (my own fault I know, I made appointments and just forgot or was not about for work reasons etc.) and it came back abnormal, which I was told is quite common. I got referred directly to the colposcopy clinic in Holles St and got my appointment within 4 weeks, which I went for yesterday. However when they were taking my details, they told me the reason I had been called in for a Colposcopy directly and not just further smears, was because the abnormalities were in my glands. This was never relayed to me by my GP and was the first I heard of it having been told it's common to go straight for colposcopy. I'm not really sure why I wasn't told this, and what this means. I was a bit too scared in general about the whole procedure to ask further what the glands comment meant, but now i'm a bit concerned that this was unusual, and having mentioned to the Dr. yesterday that I was planning to travel next year, her response was not to make plans until my results were back and to consult with the hospital about my travel plans. This has now really worried me. Is there something i'm not being told? I'm generally not that worried about things like this but I feel as if i've been under informed.

Anyone had these results from a smear? And what should I expect from the colposcopy results? Wish i'd asked more questions!

G

Advertisement