Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Pembily wrote: »
    Snoopy1 wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question but when going for a smear test do you leave the nuvaring in?
    You need to take it out. Just don't leave it out longer than 4 hours.
    Ok thanks . I should prob take it with me then so I can put it back in straight away. a lovely thing to carry in the handbag :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Posts deleted.

Folks, this is not a swap shop, especially for prescribed medication - please do not use this forum to offer to buy or sell or give-away contraceptive pills or devices.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Snoopy just take it out when you get there and back in asap! If you don't have the original packet just a lil freezer bag. You want to have it out as short a period of time as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Hi all!

I apologise if this is not the right forum for this to be posted in!

I have had the implanon in now for over a year and a half. Before this I was on the depo provera injection for 2 years.
    Over this whole time I have not had a period at all! I was put on these due to very bad womenly monthlys so that is why I choose to get the implanon after the depo provera. The pill does not suit me at all!

I was wondering if anyone else has had any other very bad side effects? I have looked it up online and there seems to not be any other serious side effects but my health has deteriorated immensely within the past 6 months or so.

I have a constant dull headache (which sometimes is so sore it's unbearable) and seriously frustrating pressure in my head for about 7 months now all within the same area of my head. I am not sensitive to any light or sound (as the doctors did think it was migraines, however I never suffered with headaches until 7 or so months ago)
    My personality has changed to the point where I was a very outgoing person and now I want to just sit at home and not talk too anyone because I find it hard keeping a conversation going nowadays. I find it very hard to concentrate on anything or anyone.

My eyesight has also changed, I see double vision all the time. I am dizzy and light headed and have become clumsy due to not being able to walk straight. I fell down some stairs about 2 months ago because I thought I was at the bottom, unfortunately I wasn't.

I get numbness in my hands and feet, pins and needles too. I find it difficult to string words together in a sentence, even writing this took a long time and it does not help with college work. I just feel awful!

Now, one doctor thought it was because of the implanon and advised me to get it removed. My primary doctor is sending me to a neurologist in st.vincents but that won't be until a few weeks away.

I would love to know if anyone else has experienced these symptoms while on implanon? As I guess I am afraid it could be something more serious. I have had blood work done and everything seems normal. It's just getting to the point where I can't cope with how I feel everyday and it is not normal for my age. My mom has more energy and life in her than I do.

Oh I am only 21 years old.

Thanks,
    Thezappa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I would agree with the doctor, get it removed ASAP as he has advised if only to rule it out as a cause. Medical advice cannot be given on boards so bear that in mind to the replies you get. Best of luck with the neurologist, hopefully it is nothing more serious than your body not agreeing with the implanon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moved it here THEZAPPA. OK fair play TZ you're following all the medical advice and I hope it works out for you, but folks you know the drill. Experiences only, no medical advice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Snoopy just take it out when you get there and back in asap! If you don't have the original packet just a lil freezer bag. You want to have it out as short a period of time as possible!

what like take it out in front of the nurse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gillyann

Anyone know how much it costs to go private for a laparoscopy??

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All,

Not looking for medical advice, more so a little clarification.

I've recently been diagnosed as having Tricomonas - an STI :( I've been with my partner for 4 years and have never been with anyone else - he has before me and says he hasn't since we got together.

Anyway, I had a smear test done last year and that came back clear so what I want to know is, would that have shown up in my smear test last year or do thing's like that not show up on smears?

Thanks is advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Did you ask the dr to do an sti swab to test for Tricomonas?
    It's not standard that they would test for that when you have a smear test done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sharrow wrote: »
    Did you ask the dr to do an sti swab to test for Tricomonas?
    It's not standard that they would test for that when you have a smear test done.

Hi Sharrow,

Thanks for the reply..

No I've been having some problems over the last couple of months and decided to go to the Dr's to make sure everything was OK - she took some swabs to send off to get checked and that came back..

She said it's possible that I've had it all this time without knowing it because my symptoms were not strong enough that I was overly worried - my boyfriend has had no symptoms at all and she said men can have it for years without showing symptoms and not know they have it.

Yeah, I didn't think it was standard for them to check for anything else, just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again.

Snoopy1 wrote: »

what like take it out in front of the nurse?
    No just before you go in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Hi guys. Getting my first smear done soon, and have asked doctor to do an STI test also. She has given me a container for a urine sample - wondering if she's going to check for any others? Does blood need to be taken, or a swab? Will she check for the most common ones, and is this enough? I have had unprotected sex in the past and just want to be sure.

Ask the dr when you see her.

I'm not seeing the doctor. The nurse is doing it.

The ask her what she is planning on doing.
    Why didn't you ask when you were given the tub for the urine sample?

Thank you Miss Helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Hi guys. Getting my first smear done soon, and have asked doctor to do an STI test also. She has given me a container for a urine sample - wondering if she's going to check for any others? Does blood need to be taken, or a swab? Will she check for the most common ones, and is this enough? I have had unprotected sex in the past and just want to be sure.

The last time I spoke to a nurse about this, she explained that the swab covers most STIs, and that an additional blood test is only needed if you want to be screened for HIV or hepatitis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Worried23

Hi all, I'm really worried (hence the username) and can't sleep so would really appreciate a reply asap on this.

In the last few days I've had bad abdominal pain/cramping and slight vaginal itching. I just checked and I have some white discharge emanating from that area. Now, I've had thrush before, but the abdominal pain concerns me.

It's probably worthwhile mentioning that I have the implant, but I'm really really scared in case I might be pregnant.

Before anyone mentions it, I really cannot afford to go to a doctor or even to purchase a pregnancy test.

Could someone please offer me any kind of advice right now? It's 5am and I'm so tired but really scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

We're not allowed give medical advice on here, and even if we were, that could be absolutely anything - sti, thrush, ect... It's impossible to tell over the Internet.

Dr is your best bet, or those wellwoman clinics

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What Storminateacup. Sorry Worried23 no medical advice can be sought or given

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Anyone else on spironolactone for PCOS and having crappy side effects? Not sure if it's the tabs or just the oul hormones.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Strictly speaking of the non-hormonal type only please :)

Have you had one fitted and what were your experiences?
    Did you have to have it adjusted, checked?

How did it effect you and did you have any issues?

It seems quite difficult to find a good clinic to have it fitted, most clinics don't offer it.

Some clinics offer it, for approx 250 euro (for consultation and fitting) which includes a free checkup.

Some offer it for cheaper but you have to pay for the checkup - which I will expect you may need (friends have said they needed the 'strings' adjusting to make it more comfortable)

Can anyone recommend any good clinics in Dublin?

Slightly apprehensive as have been dissapointed before with many of these 'women's sevices' ... glossing over information, being dismissive about possible side effects ... only to find the procedure/effects were uncomfortable, impractical and many other things ( big part of my decision to move away from hormonal contraception) and then having come online and found reports from others, detailing pretty much the exact same 'horror stories' ...

Did it work for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Best here Rips. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tamzz

hope this is ok to post here

i took the morning after pill for the first time this morning and i didnt have any side effects except heavy bleeding..like a period. did anyone else experience this?

tamzz wrote: »
    hope this is ok to post here

i took the morning after pill for the first time this morning and i didnt have any side effects except heavy bleeding..like a period. did anyone else experience this?
    That's ok... The side affects vary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I took it before and had no side effects at all, everybody varies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Not looking for medical advice - as it's re: my friend, and she's going to the dr tomorrow, but generally, with thrush, do/can you feel really ill with it?

I've only ever had it once and don't recall being ill, more uncomfortable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ladies, I started on Cerazette a month ago after many years on the combined pill. I've been trying to lose a few pounds in the same time. I've restricted my diet, I weigh and log everything I eat, I'm running a decent calorie deficit and I just cannot shift an ounce. I followed the exact same eating pattern before Christmas and had no trouble losing weight. Has anyone else found that Cerazette made weight loss difficult? I'm wondering if that will settle down over time, or if maybe I'm just combatting the weight it would have made me put on if I hadn't been watching calories. Either way, it's really frustrating me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Not looking for medical advice - as it's re: my friend, and she's going to the dr tomorrow, but generally, with thrush, do/can you feel really ill with it?

I've only ever had it once and don't recall being ill, more uncomfortable

I have had it twice, itchy and uncomfortable yes but I have never felt ill or achey really. That's not to say those symptoms mightn't happen for another person. Hopefully it's nothing more serious than a bad dose though!
    Faith wrote: »
    Ladies, I started on Cerazette a month ago after many years on the combined pill. I've been trying to lose a few pounds in the same time. I've restricted my diet, I weigh and log everything I eat, I'm running a decent calorie deficit and I just cannot shift an ounce. I followed the exact same eating pattern before Christmas and had no trouble losing weight. Has anyone else found that Cerazette made weight loss difficult? I'm wondering if that will settle down over time, or if maybe I'm just combatting the weight it would have made me put on if I hadn't been watching calories. Either way, it's really frustrating me!

I am the same faith. Although admittedly I havn't really been giving the diet 100% either! I know I have kept on some of the weight I otherwise would have lost after having my daughter and I suspect it is down to the cerazette. I am on it over a year now, with the plan being to change to the implant when I lost a bit of weight, but it just hasn't shifted yet!!

Advertisement