Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Best here Rips. :cool:

Clearly not. And my requests to have my thread reinstated ignored.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rips wrote: »
    Clearly not. And my requests to have my thread reinstated ignored.

Rips

This is the thread that deals with all such matters, it's one giant megathread so that a. the ladies lounge does not become one forum full of individual enquiries relating to womens health, and b. it's easier to mod in terms of medical advice.

It could well be that there are no users who choose to have a non hormonal coil as their contraception.

Seeking information is fine, but unless others have that information to share, then posting on the internet is useless. If you do a search of this thread using the term coil, there is some information, but not of the type you are looking for, and very few responses to queries about the non hormonal aka copper coil

A lack of response to your post would indicate to me that there are not any posters who use that form of contraception.

Reinstating your thread is pointless as it will most likely have the same result.

Best of luck

Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Stheno wrote: »
    Rips

This is the thread that deals with all such matters, it's one giant megathread so that a. the ladies lounge does not become one forum full of individual enquiries relating to womens health, and b. it's easier to mod in terms of medical advice.

It could well be that there are no users who choose to have a non hormonal coil as their contraception.

Seeking information is fine, but unless others have that information to share, then posting on the internet is useless. If you do a search of this thread using the term coil, there is some information, but not of the type you are looking for, and very few responses to queries about the non hormonal aka copper coil

A lack of response to your post would indicate to me that there are not any posters who use that form of contraception.

Reinstating your thread is pointless as it will most likely have the same result.

Best of luck

Stheno

So in one breath you say that you do not want to clog the forums with women's health threads, and yet in another you say it is most likely the thread will receive no replies and slip off never to be seen again?

I completely understand that multiple threads about the same contraceptive or health issue would be redundant and annoying, however none about the copper coil exist? (well as far as I can tell, having trawled through many threads about 'plumbing')

The charter says;
    DO:

Start new threads if you are not happy with the current threads.

Which is what I did, after doing a search and finding very little information or experiences. Members who did inquire in this thread about the copper coil went unanswered, most because they were derailed with members sharing their experiences of the hormonal IUD.

I am unhappy with this thread, as yes, there will probably be few replies, if any ... that likelihood seems to be increased though when it is mixed into a thread 54 pages long discussing everything from bra sizing to weight gain.

Yes, it is true that is not a popular method of contraception, because little and less is known of it, and because its damn hard to find somewhere to have it put in. Things I hoped to bring to light in the thread.

How can anyone respond to my query, when they have to read through 54 pages of miscellanous women's health topics to find it?

Yes, you do indeed have to search through this thread to find the references to it.
    People with experience of it, wouldn't have the need to search for it... so less and less chances of somebody with anything to add, happening across it here.

Thankyou for your reply at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

If you don't want to go down the route of any of the family planning clinics then get your dr to write you a referral to a consulting gyn and find one who will answer your questions to your satisfaction.don 't have an iud and only know of two women under 40 who got one in the last 3 years, one is happy with it the other had to have it removed as she had extreme cramps and near constant bleeds.

There are several different types, so doing some reseach on them is a good idea, but not all of them are lavailible here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Just a visitor

Rips wrote: »
    Strictly speaking of the non-hormonal type only please :)

Have you had one fitted and what were your experiences?
    Did you have to have it adjusted, checked?

How did it effect you and did you have any issues?

It seems quite difficult to find a good clinic to have it fitted, most clinics don't offer it.

Some clinics offer it, for approx 250 euro (for consultation and fitting) which includes a free checkup.

Some offer it for cheaper but you have to pay for the checkup - which I will expect you may need (friends have said they needed the 'strings' adjusting to make it more comfortable)

Can anyone recommend any good clinics in Dublin?

Slightly apprehensive as have been dissapointed before with many of these 'women's sevices' ... glossing over information, being dismissive about possible side effects ... only to find the procedure/effects were uncomfortable, impractical and many other things ( big part of my decision to move away from hormonal contraception) and then having come online and found reports from others, detailing pretty much the exact same 'horror stories' ...

Did it work for you?

I got one fitted about six years ago in my local women's centre. I think that it only cost about €60 and the gynecologist did not charge. She removed the old one, did a smear test and fitted the new one. I have never had any problems at all. Slight crampy feeling on day of fitting but nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭x3wiggles

Is there any way you can control weight while on Implanon? Its the bar in my left arm. I've put on a stone since and I'm already weight conscious. I exercise regularly and I'm constantly on my feet for my full-time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

have you checked calorie counts for a while to see if you are eating more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

Decrease calorie intake.
    Increase activity levels.
    Go to GP

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭x3wiggles

I'm eating and exercising as much as i usually do. i'm not overweight like. i'm 10 and a bit stone. but i was 9 stone and the only thing that's changed is implanon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved your thread/posts here, x3wiggles - this is the thread for all general advice/requests for info/experiences with contraceptives. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

x3wiggles wrote: »
    Is there any way you can control weight while on Implanon? Its the bar in my left arm. I've put on a stone since and I'm already weight conscious. I exercise regularly and I'm constantly on my feet for my full-time job.

I put on a lot of weight since I got the implanon in.. A lot of weight as in over 2 stone, even more. I've found it really hard to shift it too, my implanon is due out in April, so i'm wondering if that coming out will have any impact on weight loss.

havent put on any weight with mine but am getting it out asap anyway

stupid stick
    never again

My stick is lost :( I went to get it out and they couldn't find it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My stick is lost :( I went to get it out and they couldn't find it :mad:

:eek::eek::eek:
    I think they can do an ultrasound on your arm to find it... hopefully it will be alright!

be careful though as lost stick = no protection

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

usual poster but im going unreg because it is kinda embarrassing

i was having sex last night and it hurt a little and when i noticed this morning there was blood everywhere......

so im a little worried that i will need stitches

has anyone ever got them done?

do they hurt??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Ok, get thee to a doc tomorrow. You prob only cut yourself, with the eh, exertion:o of it all, but no harm to get checked out. Also, you mightnt even need stitches.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

unreg5544 wrote: »
    usual poster but im going unreg because it is kinda embarrassing

i was having sex last night and it hurt a little and when i noticed this morning there was blood everywhere......

so im a little worried that i will need stitches

has anyone ever got them done?

do they hurt??

Go to the doctor. Its very likely that you wont need stitches - if you did, whatever caused it would have hurt a lot. Mabye a scratch from a broken fingernail or the like caused it. Once I caught my ring on a delicate area of a blokes tender bits and it was only afterwards we saw the blood and panicked, but it was easier to spot where it happened on a bloke.

I have had stitches before and they have been fine, not hurting much at all. But you probably wont need any.

bluewolf wrote: »
    be careful though as lost stick = no protection

Are you sure :O It has to be somewhere, so does that not mean that i'm still protected :S

Are you sure :O It has to be somewhere, so does that not mean that i'm still protected :S

I was positive there was an article posted about women not having them fitted correctly & more chance of becoming pregnant, but I can't find it
    I would suggest you ask the doctor tbh

• Advertisement

Hi all, sorry I wasn’t sure if I should post here or start a new thread.

I’m over 25 and have started getting letters about going for a free smear test. The most recent one I got said that it was the final reminder, to make an appointment within the next 6 weeks and bring the letter. So if I don’t make an appointment now, have I missed my opportunity until the next time they send me a letter (which would be 3 years time?)? I thought it was free for all women 25-44 once every 3 years… I didn’t think there was an expiration date on the offer :/

Also my regular GP is male, I’d prefer to go to woman. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good female doctor in Dublin? (ideally Charlestown, Glasnevin, city centre, Palmerstown or Chapelizod areas).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 becca86

Hi all,
    I got the Mirena coil in 9 months ago. I got it in to help with really painful endometriosis. It took about 4 months to settle and eventually everything was going ok. I had my usual monthly spotting this month but 10 days ago I started bleeding heavily again and I have been since. I have been in awful pain, the pain I used to have before I got the coil in and I am constantly tired and have no energy. My breasts also feel swollen and are sore. Today I was even vomiting. Does anyone have any information of what might be going on? Any help or tips would be hugely welcome!
    Thanks

becca86 you should go back to your dr asap.

SMQ wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry I wasn’t sure if I should post here or start a new thread.

I’m over 25 and have started getting letters about going for a free smear test. The most recent one I got said that it was the final reminder, to make an appointment within the next 6 weeks and bring the letter. So if I don’t make an appointment now, have I missed my opportunity until the next time they send me a letter (which would be 3 years time?)? I thought it was free for all women 25-44 once every 3 years… I didn’t think there was an expiration date on the offer :/

Also my regular GP is male, I’d prefer to go to woman. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good female doctor in Dublin? (ideally Charlestown, Glasnevin, city centre, Palmerstown or Chapelizod areas).

There isn't an expiray date, I can't give you a personal referral for that side of town but there is a list on the site https://apps.cervicalcheck.ie/screening_locations/cervical_screening.dublin.494.county.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Mods I hope this is ok, SMQ I can highly recommend any of the female doctors at suffolk st surgery in Dublin city centre. i've found them good for smears and very patient with general queries.

Their website is http://suffolkstreetsurgery.ie/

Hi all, I'm 24 but on the pill since I was 14 due to very heavy periods and sever pains. Changed pills once in the time I've been on it 2 years ago due to too much breakthrough bleeding. I want to look into options other than the pill. Problem is I'm very sqeemish like I pass out at the sight of a needle/blood and I think that limits my options. I am sexually active so need protection but I also need to consider preventing the period pains. I just don't like the pill because I find it too hard to take it at the exact right time everyday and am terrfied of messing it up (it didn't use to matter as much when I was younger because I wasn't not protection, so it didn't matter as much if I was a few hours late)
    WHat options are there? What can ladies suggest?

unregTLL wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm 24 but on the pill since I was 14 due to very heavy periods and sever pains. Changed pills once in the time I've been on it 2 years ago due to too much breakthrough bleeding. I want to look into options other than the pill. Problem is I'm very sqeemish like I pass out at the sight of a needle/blood and I think that limits my options. I am sexually active so need protection but I also need to consider preventing the period pains. I just don't like the pill because I find it too hard to take it at the exact right time everyday and am terrfied of messing it up (it didn't use to matter as much when I was younger because I wasn't not protection, so it didn't matter as much if I was a few hours late)
    WHat options are there? What can ladies suggest?

you could get the implanon or nuvaring etc?

for the pill you can leave it beside your alarm and take it as soon as you get up every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tamzz

hey guys, not looking for medical advice just wondering if anyone had a similar experience

i took the morning after pill on jan 28, 2 hours after the "incident". i got heavy bleeding that day and it lasted for 4/5 days, it was basically like a period. i was due my actual period the following week on feb 6th. i havent had a period since that one i got after taking the morning after pill. i took 3 pregnancy tests, two about 2 weeks after the incident and one last weekend. all said negative.
    around two weeks ago i started getting very light pink/brown spotting and cramps which i never had in the past, i thought it might be a sign of my period coming but it didnt. this only lasted 2/3 days. about 3 or 4 days ago i had light pink spotting again and noticed a very small blood clot when i went to the toilet. i also had brownish discharge when i wiped myself but it was very light. this seems to be gone now.
    i mentioned it to my doctor and he said thats it likely the bleeding after the MAP was my actual period brought forward, and that im on a "new cycle" now, so that means i was due my period 24 days after taking the MAP, which would have been last thursday. obviously im freaking out a lot!

im not sure if its normal as this is the first time ive taken the MAP (and i hope its the last!) has anyone else experienced similar issues with periods being messed up/very late after it?

i have one more pregnancy test left but im going to hold off until next weekend to take it.

me again!!

i went to the doctor and she said it is not serious
    i just had to use some savlon on it to heal it so it is ok
    it doesnt hurt when i pee anymore haha

also have a quick question

when you get the morning after pill does it affect your period?

im am a week late and im not really worried about it to be honest
    but there is still a small worry there
    im young i really dont need a baby right now! i want to have my life and finish college
    i know i sound really selfish but to be honest i dont know what kind of upbringing i could give it!

ugh i am a selfish bItch :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

i know i sound really selfish but to be honest i dont know what kind of upbringing i could give it!

ugh i am a selfish bItch :(

selfish isn't a bad thing :) You're allowed not want to be pregnant!

when you get the morning after pill does it affect your period?

It absolutely can do, it's a large dose of hormones and all. Best thing to do if you're worried & your period is late is get a pregnancy test & not stick your head in the sand.

Advertisement