Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Susie_Q wrote: »
    In fairness to the Irish health system, I've seen tons of posters around advertising the fact that smear tests are free now and who is eligible (can't remember the age range offhand). My GP always asks if I'm due for one when I see her, it's as standard for women my age. If you haven't had one yet then it's not the fault of the health system!

I think PP's point is though that you are not eligible for the free smears until you turn 25 when in fact many women and teenagers are sexually active much younger than this age. I know people that are 25 with 3 kids for example and still don't count as being eligible for a smear under the HSE. My own GP recommended it to me to get one when my daughter was 6 months old, she said it was vital. I had her when I was 18 - the HSE is really failing to account for people younger IMO. I know the risk group for cervical cancer is a little older but i know of two girls who have died from it in the last year and a half, both under 17 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Re: cervical cancer screening.
    It's free for women aged 25-60. http://www.cervicalcheck.ie

That simply means that females under 25 have to pay for it-no big deal.
    That's always been the way here-I've been paying for smears for over 20 years now-a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Some women pay €50-60 on a night out or a pair of shoes.
    So why the hell would anybody moan about paying that for your health?

Same regarding cervical cancer vaccine- it's only a new vaccine- and the HSE just does not have the money to vaccinate every sexually active female in the country,(let alone the men!)

But. It's possible to pay for it privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Very true, I paid for my first 2 smear tests as they weren't free then. Would rather spend the money than worry about having cancerous cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

worriedvac wrote: »
    That healthcare system sounds amazing, I have never had a smear test either and I'm 25. Must try and book one in the next few months. I have never had the HPV vaccine. I've had unprotected sex with one guy whilest I was on the pill. Does the vaccine not work once you've unprotected sex or can it still work? This might be considered medical advice though.

It's not as effective once you are sexually active but still can be of benefit to women under the age of 45 I believe.. may be 10 years over or under can't recall. Think it costs €300 in Ireland though.

25 is too old for the free smear test. And I know you can get it done if you pay, but my point really is that my doctor in Ireland has known since I was sexually active and never offered me one or gave me any information. I remember having a conversation with a few friends when we were maybe just gone 20 and none of had a clue about a smear test, we didn't even know about the system for over 25s, or when we should begin getting them.

The system in Ireland is good for over 25s, but there is very little information given to anyone under that age about the importance of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello Ladies,

I'm 21 and started taking Yaz ten days ago. It's the first time I've been on the pill. In the last couple of days I've had breast pains and I think my breasts are increasing in size. My GP didn't mention this as a side effect. So, just wondering did any of you experience this? Tbh I don't want to go up a cup size and would rather go off it if they are going to increase. I didn't know the pill could cause breasts to increase in size. Would appreciate any of your thoughts particularly if this happened to you on yaz. Also, do you know what size increase one can expect? Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Very true, I paid for my first 2 smear tests as they weren't free then. Would rather spend the money than worry about having cancerous cells.

When I was 21 or 22 and sexually active, I went to the local nurse near my Uni to get a smear test and she refused to give it to me. I offered to pay and she said no, I was too young, there would be no point as too many changes would still be occurring in my cells at that age.

I've since had my first smear test when I turned 25 in April 2011. Never heard anything back about it, friends said that they only contact you if it needs to be repeated. And when I check on the ICSP website it says my next smear is not due until January 2014, which is nearly 3 years after my first test. Doesn't sound right to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

fichillie wrote: »
    I've since had my first smear test when I turned 25 in April 2011. Never heard anything back about it, friends said that they only contact you if it needs to be repeated. And when I check on the ICSP website it says my next smear is not due until January 2014, which is nearly 3 years after my first test. Doesn't sound right to me!

I've had a smear twice under the free scheme, and both times I was contacted by both Cervical Check and my own GP to say that it was all clear. Usually it was about a month after the test. It might be no harm to phone the doctor and follow it up.

fichillie wrote: »

It is recommended that the smear be done every 3 years until 45 years of age, and thereafter,every 5 years.
    This is only the case if all smears are normal- any abnormalities and they need to be repeated earlier.How early depends on abnormality found.

Hello Ladies,

I'm 21 and started taking Yaz ten days ago. It's the first time I've been on the pill. In the last couple of days I've had breast pains and I think my breasts are increasing in size. My GP didn't mention this as a side effect. So, just wondering did any of you experience this? Tbh I don't want to go up a cup size and would rather go off it if they are going to increase. I didn't know the pill could cause breasts to increase in size. Would appreciate any of your thoughts particularly if this happened to you on yaz. Also, do you know what size increase one can expect? Thank you

Have never been on any oral contraceptive pill(ocp) ever- but would recommend that you read whatever instructions came with the pack.
    If you didn't get any,return to the pharmacist who filled the prescription and ask for leaflet.

My best friend is a pharmacist ,and she was only saying this week ,how she never gives out ocp to any woman without showing her the leaflet first & explaining the importance of when to take it & awareness of side effects etc...

Best of luck.If you're still not happy,go back to your GP or better still,
    a family planning clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Definitely noticed an increase in breast size when I went on the pill - I think it's fairly common. I went up at least one cup size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Just asking, but has anyone here ever gone over their 3 years on the Implanon?

Mine's due out in 4 days and I haven't got the 200euro to get it removed yet. Kinda freaking out a bit as to what will be the result of keeping it in for longer, but I haven't really got a choice. It will only be til Wednesday so about 3 days over. Anybody any experience of this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Just asking, but has anyone here ever gone over their 3 years on the Implanon?

Mine's due out in 4 days and I haven't got the 200euro to get it removed yet. Kinda freaking out a bit as to what will be the result of keeping it in for longer, but I haven't really got a choice. It will only be til Wednesday so about 3 days over. Anybody any experience of this :confused:

Didn't go over, but when I got it in first my doc said it lasts 3 years and then the level of protection goes down, but I doubt it would drop from near 100% to 50% in 3 days! Not giving medical advice, but I would think it'd be alright - it must be difficult if not impossible to design it to last precisely 1095 days. ;) If you feel uneasy about it use condoms too?

Also, just to warn you, I was way more of a hormonal mess after getting the second one in than the first. Possibly just me, so don't panic, and it did settle down again, but better to be forewarned I think.

Thank you! :)

Yeah I guess you're right, I just don't want it to f*ck me over for the 3 days haha! I haven't had a period for the past 2 and a half years on it and got one today, so I took it as a sign that I need to get it out :o

Yeah a few people have said that to me, so i've kinda been preparing for it. My preparation being informing my boyfriend i''ll be a moody yoke for a few weeks :rolleyes:

Is it painful to get it out? It was okay getting it in, so i'm not sure what to expect :confused:

Nope, local anaesthetic takes care of that! If you're squeamish don't look though, the doctor I went to had a bit of hassle getting it out and it looks weird to see it being tugged around under your skin.

Also it hurt a fair bit for the week after, more tender than anything. Couldn't lift anything heavy or do anything too strenuous with that arm, and kept rolling over in my sleep and stuff and waking myself up by pushing against it. That wore off by the time the stitches were ready to come out though, and there was a small scar that was really noticeable for a little while but within maybe 2 months it was pretty much all faded away.

Nope, local anaesthetic takes care of that! If you're squeamish don't look though, the doctor I went to had a bit of hassle getting it out and it looks weird to see it being tugged around under your skin.

Also it hurt a fair bit for the week after, more tender than anything. Couldn't lift anything heavy or do anything too strenuous with that arm, and kept rolling over in my sleep and stuff and waking myself up by pushing against it. That wore off by the time the stitches were ready to come out though, and there was a small scar that was really noticeable for a little while but within maybe 2 months it was pretty much all faded away.

EEEEEEK didn't even think about work after :/ I'm so stooopid. I was gonna get it out at like 9am and go to work for 12! I only work in McDonalds but people are always hitting into each other and stuff :/ Maybe I should get a day or two off!

I didn't look when I was getting it in :P Couldn't hack it at all! You're actually a life saver, thank you :) x

Well you'll have a dressing, like gauze or a padded kind of bandage, over it the first day, so it won't do you harm or anything, and it's on the inside of your arm for a reason! Just keep an eye out like, don't go pushing doors open with that shoulder or balancing boxes on that arm. See how you go the first day anyhow, and keep some paracetamol in your bag if it does start throbbing a bit.

And no problem at all, good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I had to get anesthetic twice for it, but otherwise it was absolutely fine. Stitch came out after a week itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭hatethisfeeling

To give a bit of background info, Im recently gone 19, and only have a 34A cup size. Im a typical pear shape, with a sizeable arse and legs, so I look so out of balance. Im considering going on the pill to go up even a cup size, as my body is so out of proportion. I know this could have other side effects like mood swings etc. but at this point I reckon its worth a shot as I wouldnt mind coming off it if it didnt work out.
    I know a lot of people go up in cup size when they take the pill and Im wondering if any loungers could throw in their own experiences please? how much you went up by, and if it was due to weight gain, or purely increase in bust size. Also the brand that you found to give the best results would be appreciated!

I know many of you may think this is stupid, I do not plan on taking the pill without fully informing myself of the possible side effects, I'd just like to hear the experiences of other women. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Ha! I've always been a 32/34A (even lower than an A cup in some bras) and when I went on the pill they stayed exactly the same size. No weight increase or anything. And I have been on 3 different pills in the past 6 years. No difference with any of them.

Speak to your doctor.

The pill has many other benefits such a lighter periods, controlled periods, clear skin and obviously contraception. It has many bad side-effects too though. I needed to go to on 3 different pills until I found the right one. The first one I was on made me turn into an emotional weirdo, the second one made me bleed all the time (lovely), but the one I'm on now is perfect. The first two were not great fun though!

So I really don't think it is worth going on the pill to go up a cup size. And most of the people I know who do go up a cup size when going on the pill also put on a good bit of weight. Also, I know very few people who go up a cup size from the pill. Most of my female friends are on the pill and only 2 of these had changes in breast size.

But if you want to go on the pill anyway for contraceptive reasons then why not..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I went from 32C > 32DD > 34D since being on the pill! Not much gained in wait, all boobage. Any weight gain was long after I started on the pill and can be attributed to eating a lot ;) I was on Dianette and am now on Yasminelle.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend going on the pill if all you're looking for is increased breast size. Hormones affect people differently. I was on Dianette (like Twee above) for years and then Yasmin, but I had no increase in size.

Be aware also, in case you do decide to go for the pill, that Dianette is usually only used in cases of acne. It's very strong and shouldn't be used for more than a few years.

Have a good read of the various contraceptives out there. The pill is often an easy one for your GP to prescribe, but there's a lot of other options which might suit you better. For instance, if you're rubbish at taking a pill at exactly the same time each day, maybe Implanon would be preferable. I have the Mirena coil myself which I'm always banging on about because I think it's the best thing ever (no periods, low hormone dose, lasts five years, works out cheaper longterm).

I've been on both Microlite and Ovranette and have had no change at all in breast size. But they're both pretty low dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

To give a bit of background info, Im recently gone 19, and only have a 34A cup size. Im a typical pear shape, with a sizeable arse and legs, so I look so out of balance. Im considering going on the pill to go up even a cup size, as my body is so out of proportion. I know this could have other side effects like mood swings etc. but at this point I reckon its worth a shot as I wouldnt mind coming off it if it didnt work out.
    I know a lot of people go up in cup size when they take the pill and Im wondering if any loungers could throw in their own experiences please? how much you went up by, and if it was due to weight gain, or purely increase in bust size. Also the brand that you found to give the best results would be appreciated!

I know many of you may think this is stupid, I do not plan on taking the pill without fully informing myself of the possible side effects, I'd just like to hear the experiences of other women. Thanks!

I read this and wanted to reply. I have uneven breasts so I know the distress it can cause when you are not happy with your breasts. There is a severe difference in mine. I want and need to have this corrected because I hate it. I don't have money for cosmetic surgery though. I was at my wits end when I started googling and came across a breast pump known as noogleberry that claims to increase breast size with pumping. Google it!

It recommends 1 hour of pumping a day. I haven't been able to commit to it unfortunately. I have it a couple of weeks now and use it from time to time on the smaller breast. My breast turns sensitive with usage and I love the feeling it provides. There is an increase fullness but that's just with the increased blood flow. Too early to say if it's going to do what it claims to do. Maybe it's a gimmic. Maybe it's not. I don't know. But thought I would throw it out there to you and to others.

Has anyone here experience with breast pumps? Like the one I mentioned above or like Brava? If so how was it for you?

Doubt the pill would help even out uneven breasts :-( I wish there was something aside from expensive surgery. As much as I hate my cosmetic problem I do not want to commit myself to a massive loan that will take years to pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I've been on microlite a few months and this month I got my period a day before I ended a pack. It usually starts about 2 or 3 days into my 7 day break.
    It's also very light and has only really been spotting. My period is usually very light on the pill anyway though. Could this be breakthrough bleeding or something more?

I went to the doctor last week about a lower abdominal pain - he took a urine sample and gave me the all clear. Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I've been on microlite a few months and this month I got my period a day before I ended a pack. It usually starts about 2 or 3 days into my 7 day break.

I had some out-of-sync bleeding on microlite, spoke to my doctor about it, she checked me out and then changed my pill. (Strangely, I noticed it was usually after having a mad night out that my period would come quite early, but it might have been a coincidence)

I'd recommend going back to your doctor, better safe than sorry and even if there is no problem and it's just the way the pill has settled with you, it might be best to change pills as you probably don't want unexpected bleeding. So whether there's something wrong, or nothing wrong, you can get those symptoms gotten rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tiaxxx

Hello Ladies,
    ptoms

Yes this is happening to me also Definitely your breasts do increase and become sore and swollen while on Yasmin....I have come off it for about 6 months and did notice a decrease in breast size and soreness went...but unfortunatly my Acne returned so now Im back on Yasmin again:(

tiaxxx I don't want to appear rude, but your assertion that Yasmin will increase breast size and soreness for all women is simply not true. It is the way of hormones that their exact effect cannot be predicted, which is why some women have to try a few brands of the pill or other contraceptive methods before finding one that suits.

Your doctor should really have provided you with alternative options for contraception and managing acne if Yasmin is not working out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I have a large fibroid which is causing some pain and heavy periods - I can live with it as its really only a problem around the time of the month, also am anemic - but I met with a Gyne and he has suggested I have a full Hysterectomy - I am 42 and I am not really ready for such a big Op - I am fearful of losing the ovaries and going into menopause right away :(
    I have searched on line and two other alternatives have popped up - Myomectomy (surgery to remove the fibroid only) and Uterine Artery Embolization (cuts the blood supply off to the fibroid). My Hysterectomy is schedule for August but I am thinking of cancelling - or meeting with the Gyne again and asking about these two options - I am confused as to why neither was suggested by him in the first place - some background to my visit - he did not have my GP referral letter or my vaginal scan report - basically following a 5 min conversation he booked me in for the hysterectomy :confused: I feel I am being railroaded into this Op without any alternatives.
    Anyone any advice on how you have dealt with Fibroid and what treatments you had??
    Sorry for the long essay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

You need to go to a different doc. My sister used to get them a lot. One was the size of a large grapefruit and she had an op to remove it and that was it. Defo get a second opinion if you're not happy with the advice you got. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

+1 to Kieras post above. I would definitely be looking for a second opinion before agreeing to any treatment as radical as that. That doctor sounds very unprofessional not to have discussed your condition and all of the possible treatment options with you, never mind not having even looked at your referral or scans to confirm what you had told him!! Frankly, if it were me I would be steering well clear.

Advertisement