Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I never have, and I've had 3 smear tests. Maybe give your doctors surgery a call to ask them about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

xzanti wrote: »
    Anyone ever suffer abdominal cramps after a smear test?? Like, the same day?

Yep I did, a few hours after.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Going anon for this. I feel a bit stupid having to ask this. I have always used Sanitary towels because years ago I tried using tampons and couldn't manage them. I recently decided to try them again as they are so much handier for sport, etc. I bought Tampax Perl and tried them at the weekend. The first one I had no problem at all and thought this is so easy why didn't I do this before! However after that I have no luck. I keep having to remove them because I can feel them and it's really uncomfortable. I assume this isn't how it's supposed to be? I'm following the instructions. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any advice please?

The first one I had no problem at all and thought this is so easy why didn't I do this before! However after that I have no luck. I keep having to remove them because I can feel them and it's really uncomfortable. I assume this isn't how it's supposed to be? I'm following the instructions. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any advice please?

Well it's difficult to say what's going wrong if we don't know what you're doing. A starter point would be:
    Are you putting it in deep enough?
    Are you putting it in at the right angle?
    Is the absorbency maybe too high?

You're right though, while they're not always completely undetectable, you shouldn't really be able to feel them, certainly not to the point that you're uncomfortable.

Well it's difficult to say what's going wrong if we don't know what you're doing. A starter point would be:
    Are you putting it in deep enough?
    Are you putting it in at the right angle?
    Is the absorbency maybe too high?

You're right though, while they're not always completely undetectable, you shouldn't really be able to feel them, certainly not to the point that you're uncomfortable.
    thanks true-or-false. I think I've discovered I'm not putting it in deep enough. I think maybe I'm nervous about it now so making it worse. Might leave it until next month and try again and hopefully I'll relax about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

When I first started using tampons I wasn't putting them in deep enough and it was quite uncomfortable indeed!

I think you're right, wait til next month, make sure you have a bit of time, and relax. It's important to find the right position for yourself too, I fond squatting uncomfortable for inserting them so I sit on the loo.

Lastly, even though I've been using tampons for many a year, I still have days when I put one in a bit wonky, so don't stress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you get used to tampons you could consider using a mooncup, they are a god send!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Also, if you're using applicator tampons, a dab of lube on the applicator can help. Plastic applicators (Tampax Compak etc), though diabolically bad for the environment, can be easier to use too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Also, if you're using applicator tampons, a dab of lube on the applicator can help. Plastic applicators (Tampax Compak etc), though diabolically bad for the environment, can be easier to use too.

Big +1 on this, it really is down to practise. Took be over a year to realise I need to lean to the left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Big +1 on this, it really is down to practise. Took be over a year to realise I need to lean to the left!

I avoid using them if at all possible, except for sport, I really hate them! But you shouldn't be able to feel them at all, if you're feeling them, there's something not quite right!

• Advertisement

I hated tampons until I started using the applicator ones, then I haven't looked back. Except the odd drunken time I've misused the applicator and then yeah it's uncomfortable. I wouldn't try a non applicator tampon now.

Being a recycle head I do hate how they've started to use plastic applicators instead of the old cardboard, though.

thank you ladies for all the helpful advise. I'll see how I get on next month. I think if I get used to them I'll never go back.
    Also thanks for the mooncup suggestion. I'll see how I manage with tampons first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

If you get used to tampons you could consider using a mooncup, they are a god send!

+1

I used tampons for years with no problems but since switching to mooncup I now hate the sensation of wearing a tampon even when inserted correctly. I don't think you need to get used to tampons first, mooncup is actually much easier to use and feels far less invasive than a tampon. That's my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I know this would be technically better suited to regional forums but looking for tLL opinions! Can anyone recommend a good doctor in Dublin - living in Clontarf but working in Clonskeagh so anywhere between those parts is fine! Reasonably priced? Can PM me :)

This may seem like a stupid question but I got a perscription for the pill and I was wondering do I give it to the chemist, collect the pill, then take back the perscription and bring it back next time? Or do they hold onto it and I just drop back monthly?
    I'll be going to Boots if that helps?
    Sorry if it's stupid, just confused

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

This may seem like a stupid question but I got a perscription for the pill and I was wondering do I give it to the chemist, collect the pill, then take back the perscription and bring it back next time? Or do they hold onto it and I just drop back monthly?
    I'll be going to Boots if that helps?
    Sorry if it's stupid, just confused

You can do either, or get the full six months of the prescription all together and keep it at home. If you go to the same pharmacy every time then leaving it with them could be a good option as it means you won't lose it but I like to have it with me and then I can get it anywhere if I am not able to reach my regular pharmacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

does anyone know how much the implant costs??

im on a medical card would that have any effect on the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Being a recycle head I do hate how they've started to use plastic applicators instead of the old cardboard, though.

I use tesco own brand tampons and they still use a cardboard applicator, and they're wrapped in paper too, and MUCH cheaper than tampax.

I'm struggling with Mooncup at the moment, I bought one, but can't quite seem to get it in right. Will keep tryin anyway, hate using so many tampons!

This may contain too much information for some people so hope ye are not too squeamish. Currently I started my period yesterday and when I was inserting a tampon this morning, it was quite difficult to insert. Then I had a dull pain around my pelvic area so decided to remove the tampon which was quite painful. Now I'm using a pad (which I hate using) and the pain is all gone. This has been happening for the last number of months for me. The first day or 2 tampon works fine but then it begins to cause me pain. Am i just inserting it incorrectly?

Are you using one where the absorbency is too high for the stage of your period that you're at? Some people find it more comfortable to use mini/regular ones at all stages, and just change more frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

does anyone know how much the implant costs??

im on a medical card would that have any effect on the price?

Hi,
    The Implanon device is around 200 euro, 132 on the Drugs Payment Scheme and would be free with a medical card.
    I was lucky in that my GP was well versed in the device and that he can implant it, some aren't and can't. The GP visit would be free of course. If you had to go to a womans health clinic, not all take a medical card.

To get it done it takes two visits, a primary consultation where you will get the prescription and a second visit 1-5 days after your period to have it inserted. And you're set for 3 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I have been reading up on contraception options and its a mind field. I'd like to read up and have some idea before seeing a doctor.

I tried microlite for about a week last year but gave up as I was getting headaches and vomiting with it. It was my first time on any kind of pill and I just gave up after that.

I'd like to try again but I am so lost. I have decided the pill might be the best as if there is side effects it can be stopped rather than taking something else that can last months or years.

I like the idea of the combined pill in that you know when to expect your period. But I tried one and got headaches and vomiting. Is it a case of trying other kinds and seeing what works? Or giving it time to work.

I also get migraines alot and I believe the combined pill isn't the best option here. So im left with the option of the mini pill. This scares me as you can get irregular bleeding. Do you ever get a normal period every 28 days?

How do people choose or do you let your doctor choose?

Any advice? Is there such a thing as a pill with no side effects?

Would you consider a copper IUD (Paragard)? Non-hormonal and lasts 10 years. Side-effects are usually heavier periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Not all pills have the same side affects, just because you had a bad experience with one doesn't mean another won't suit you better.

I have one more question re the implant...

i was told that my doctor might not consider giving it to me because i was never on the pill!

surely this shouldn't affect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have one more question re the implant...

i was told that my doctor might not consider giving it to me because i was never on the pill!

surely this shouldn't affect it?

it might be something so simple as not wanting to give you something longer term without trying the pill first - at least if hormonal didnt suit you with the pill you'd be able to go off it instantly

bluewolf wrote: »
    it might be something so simple as not wanting to give you something longer term without trying the pill first - at least if hormonal didnt suit you with the pill you'd be able to go off it instantly

ah right grand! My problem is he wont give me the pill because my blood pressure is slightly high but it is lowering! :)

Thanks bluewolf! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ah right grand! My problem is he wont give me the pill because my blood pressure is slightly high but it is lowering! :)

Thanks bluewolf! :)

oh, i see
    well i don't know for certain, so you should ask him, but it could be that

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi Ladies

For a number of years I had always used the canesten wash. However, for the past few months I haven't been able to find it in any chemists, and I have tried quite a few.

It was always only available in some places, including Boots, but not others. But, now none of them seem to be stocking it anymore.

Personally, I always found this to be better than any other products for washing down there!! :o

Just wondering if anyone else has been able to buy this lately? and if so, where?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Well i went to a doctor in a family planning clinic today, i figure they probably would know more. I wanted the combined pill as you know when to expect your period, but i get migraines alot so the doctor said it isn't the best option.
    I have been prescribed cerazette, so i will try that and see if it works. I didn't really want a mini pill but my reason was because of irregular bleeding which i might not get. So i think it might be worth trying.

Found them to be very good, they took a full history and i finally got a smear test done which i have been putting off for so long. While taking my history, they asked if i ever had a smear test and i said no and it was offered. So i finally have that over and done with.

I was going to pay for this as they couldn't take any more medical card patients for the week. But one person that was booked in with a medical card never showed up so i got it done under the medical card. I saved €50 doctor visit. So pretty happy with this. I hope it all works out with the pill. Really scared of side effects but saved €50 today and i got a call for my first job interview later this week, so i feel lucky.

Advertisement