Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

So i went to the doctor today! But he refuses to put me on the implant!

Instead he gave me the injection to get my body used to the hormones and that and then he said i have to go back to him when it wears off and he will make an appointment with a female doctor for me because he doesn't feel comfortable doing it himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

So i went to the doctor today! But he refuses to put me on the implant!

Instead he gave me the injection to get my body used to the hormones and that and then he said i have to go back to him when it wears off and he will make an appointment with a female doctor for me because he doesn't feel comfortable doing it himself!

That doesn't make much sense because the contraception injection (usually depo-provera) is a different hormone to the implant, which is progesterone only. I would see another GP about it for a second opinion if I were you, I am very weary of DP because of the increased risk of osteoporosis.

Lola92 wrote: »
    That doesn't make much sense because the contraception injection (usually depo-provera) is a different hormone to the implant, which is progesterone only. I would see another GP about it for a second opinion if I were you, I am very weary of DP because of the increased risk of osteoporosis.

he is a dick! he always dances around the subject of contraception! he makes me feel like im a slut for even asking! And you what he is a family planning doctor he should just get on with the job!

ill just go on it for the few months til i get my period to get the implant because my periods come when they want so i could get my next period next month it could be 3 months! It has been regular enough lately but im not going to chance it! I just want to be safe! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

What time is best to take the pill? I am hoping to start on cerazette sometime next week.

I have been told and the leaflet says it should be taken at the same time every day.

I am on the dole, so I have no routine of taking the pill. But as soon as I get work that routine will change.

As in I am up each day between 8.30am -9am, but when I get work il be up at 7am or even earlier, I dont know.

It can also be taken in the evening, but I think il have more of a chance of forgetting.

If I left it on the beside locker with a bottle of water, I could take it as soon as I wake up.

Should I set my alarm as if I am going to work and take it then? Or can I take it at 9am, and change the time when I get work?

There was so much info to take in that I forgot to ask.

What do others do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

What time is best to take the pill? I am hoping to start on cerazette sometime next week.

I have been told and the leaflet says it should be taken at the same time every day.

I am on the dole, so I have no routine of taking the pill. But as soon as I get work that routine will change.

As in I am up each day between 8.30am -9am, but when I get work il be up at 7am or even earlier, I dont know.

It can also be taken in the evening, but I think il have more of a chance of forgetting.

If I left it on the beside locker with a bottle of water, I could take it as soon as I wake up.

Should I set my alarm as if I am going to work and take it then? Or can I take it at 9am, and change the time when I get work?

There was so much info to take in that I forgot to ask.

What do others do?

Just take it at a time that suits you now and then change it when you get a job, it won't make any difference to just move it a few hours at a later date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

ill just go on it for the few months til i get my period to get the implant because my periods come when they want so i could get my next period next month it could be 3 months! It has been regular enough lately but im not going to chance it! I just want to be safe! :o

I didnt get any periods while on the Depo, and it made me put on a serious amount of weight. If you have a bad reaction, i.e weight gain or acne, the injection can't be reversed, it will stay in your system fir 6 months, and it could take up to a year before your periods go back to normal. I would get a second opinion.

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I didnt get any periods while on the Depo, and it made me put on a serious amount of weight. If you have a bad reaction, i.e weight gain or acne, the injection can't be reversed, it will stay in your system fir 6 months, and it could take up to a year before your periods go back to normal. I would get a second opinion.

FFS!! I got it done this morning! Besides there isnt another doctor around for miles...Its done now so ill just have to live with it!

I just had the Mirena fitted, don't think I've ever experienced pain like it. Was feeling quite weak and faint after. I've had to come back to work now, suffering some cramps, hopefully they will settle down. I'll keep Y'all updated on my progress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Underwaterlove

I'm 41. I hadn't been on the Pill for 10 years or more & decided to go on this now. (No problem in getting it btw, my local chemist had it.)
    My GP said she didn't know of any side effects when i asked her about this brand. I was afraid of loss of libido as this happened with a brand i was on before.
    Instead i got very sensitive/painful breasts almost immediately. I would wake up at night when i turned on my side with the pain. And it was a definite no-go zone for my man, which neither of us liked. I was due a breast check about a month and a half after going on it & couldn't face the idea of the pain that might involve. So i came off it about 2 weeks before my appointment.
    I told the doctor in the hospital & he said one in two women suffered this & came off the Pill (in general, not necessarily Cerazette) because of it. I wondered how my GP did not know of this when i asked her about possible side effects?

It wrecks my head that a Pill cannot be invented at this stage that doesn't play havoc with your body. (I'm still waiting on my period.) And don't get me started on why there isn't a male Pill in this day & age!!! It's always the woman who has to mess with the hormones in her body... As if it wasn't hard enough to stay on on even keel every month anyway!

I wondered how my GP did not know of this when i asked her about possible side effects?

I wouldn't really blame your GP, after all it does mean general practitioner, which is a lot to cover. If you're not happy with your GP though, get a new doctor. Unfortunately it can be difficult to find a good'un. Did the information leaflet not mention side effects? I've always thought that all pills carry differing frequencies of similar side effects, of which libido and breast tenderness would be included - if you haven't been reading your leaflets (I'm not accusing - it's just that I know a lot of women who don't) you really should.

As for the male pill - it's on it's way!

• Advertisement

I have been prescribed cerazette and waiting to start it. I am terrified really. I keep reading reviews and they are not nice.

Im not sure i can cope with weeks of bleeding or just coming out of nowhere. I am also on a diet and lost a few pounds. I have read that you can put on weight and even people find it hard to lose weight while on it. Yikes. Has anyone any issue with their weight and this pill?

Has anyone anything good to say about it? Should i give it a try for the first month anyway. I don't think i can continue any longer with it if i get anything nasty on it, or if i don't lose weight cause i am trying so hard to lose weight.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I have been prescribed cerazette and waiting to start it. I am terrified really. I keep reading reviews and they are not nice.

Im not sure i can cope with weeks of bleeding or just coming out of nowhere. I am also on a diet and lost a few pounds. I have read that you can put on weight and even people find it hard to lose weight while on it. Yikes. Has anyone any issue with their weight and this pill?

Has anyone anything good to say about it? Should i give it a try for the first month anyway. I don't think i can continue any longer with it if i get anything nasty on it, or if i don't lose weight cause i am trying so hard to lose weight.

I'm on my second run of Cerazette - first time it took about 3 months for my body to settle into it, then it was no periods at all. This time round it took 6 months to settle, neither time did I know in the first month if I was going to react in anyway to it. Personally, I don't think a month is long enough for your body to settle.

Ive had the Mirena in now for 2 days, Im not as sore as I was but Im still not comfortable enough to exercise. I have some slight cramps, I would suppose similar to a regular period, only Ive only got very light spotting. I havn't plucked up the courage to check for the strings yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

What's a normal amount of days to vary between cycles? Im usually fairly regular but am now 5 days late and am freaking out. That's still within a reasonable amount of ok variation right? Took a negative pregnancy test but still v panicky...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I can find mine's up to a week out if I'm stressed. If you're worrying too much about it, chances are you're inadvertently delaying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I can find mine's up to a week out if I'm stressed. If you're worrying too much about it, chances are you're inadvertently delaying it!

Actually this is a common misconception. Stress can delay ovulation, but once ovulation has occurred, stress has no effect on your period starting.

So stress at the time your period is due will not delay your period. But stress around the time of ovulation might.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Thanks for replies. Im now trying to destress about it but much easier said than done. I know its prob ok but just im usually like clock work so bit miffed. Iv been doing some research though and apparently up to an 8dat variation in cycle length is considered normal. So fingers crossed for a little longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Underwaterlove

Hi "true or false"', here's a quickie reply to issues you raised;
    Luckily my GP is actually pretty good. Maybe it's because i didn't have a spare 50 euro to make a return appointment to tell her that brand did not agree with me, so she has no feed back for when her patients come off it as a result of the side effects? I guess if i was more determined to be on the i would have returned to try another brand.
    I read the leaflet re side effects but you can't predict which ones will effect you until you give it a go. And a month was all i was prepared to endure of the painful breasts situation.
    Anything good to say about Cerazette? It didn't kill my libido like another brand i tried. Fairly important in my book.
    I hope others have better luck with it & i do agree completely that it varies hugely from individual to individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

I've been on Cerazette for the past ten months, and had no problem whatsoever on it, didn't have a period since starting it. Then this morning I start spotting, so thought that was weird, will have to wait it out and see how long it lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UnPetiteAmie

Hi guys, I have been on microlite for years however I took a year break from it last year and have been back on it about six months. Over the last two months I noticed that my mood from the day I started a new packet was seriously low, and that I became an anxious wreck ESP with regards to my boyfriend. I took myself off the pill a week ago as I just didn't wanna feel so strange anymore and while I know it will take a while for my hormones to revert to normal I would really appreciate if anyone else who experienced this would share their story, because the hormones are making me o irrational that i worry it won't pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hi girls,

I'm just wondering if anyone has suffered from non headache migraines, a bit like an epileptic fit, whilst on yasminelle?

And for those who have suffered from any form of migraine whilst on the pill, was it always on your weeks break?

Also, has anyone suffered from migraines on cerazette? (if I've missed any posts that answers any of this my apologies)

I lost about 9 lbs in three weeks. I weighed myself last week. Im on the same diet as when I lost the weight and killing myself while at the gym.

But this week I haven't lost anything. Is it harder to lose weight with the monthly friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I lost about 9 lbs in three weeks. I weighed myself last week. Im on the same diet as when I lost the weight and killing myself while at the gym.

But this week I haven't lost anything. Is it harder to lose weight with the monthly friend?

Yes, you retain water.

Well im never going to weigh myself again during that time month. I freaked out a bit as its my second day and started taking the pill yesterday. I know you can put on weight while on it. Im terrified of any possible side effects. Used a tape measure instead and that made me better.

Just over a week after the Mirena was fitted. No cramps, no pain, no discomfort. Very light spotting still on most days. No effect on my sex drive ;) Sex is a little uncomfortable, but Im not sure if it's just because I can imagine it inside me..
    Back to the gym, working out as normal. Im following an eating plan so im hoping I will have no bad effects on weight loss, although it's too soon to tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

Hey girls,

So I'm just wondering what people's views would be on this. I'm 23 now and have been on dianette pretty much straight through from the time I was 15. I know a lot of people have been shocked when I have told them this but the doctor's don't see a problem eventhough you hear of the horror stories with regard to thrombosis. Is anyone in a similar position?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UnPetiteAmie

Am 22 and also on the pill since my teens, doc has never suggested that there is a problem with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

Am 22 and also on the pill since my teens, doc has never suggested that there is a problem with it

I know other pills are fine to be on long term but dianette is riskier and only recommended over short periods as far as I know.

Mod

Chocolatrose.
    Noone here can give you advice on things such as thrombosis.
    The only person who can give you medical advice is a doctor. I suggest you talk to your GP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ilovefruit

Hi all, just got a prescription for the pill. Thing is yesterday was the last day of my period so should I start taking it now anyway or wait until my next period? If i take it now, how soon am I protected?

Advertisement