Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

You'll need to ask your pharmacist about that, I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Do you still have the packet they came in, ilovefruit? They should come with an information leaflet and if you still aren't sure you could give the GP who prescribed them a quick call or what might be easier is to do as Fluorescence suggests and call into a pharmacy and ask for advice on your specific pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm pretty sure when you're starting the Pill (Ovranette anyway) that you take it on the first day of your period, not the last, so the day after the last would be way too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

hey everyone. lately I've noticed that I'm feeling, well, no polite way to say it, a bit constipated every month :o I hate going around feeling all bloaty and crampy, so I had kinda taken to using laxatives a bit, but I dunno if that's the best idea at all, having to rely on them, so I've just been wondering is there something else I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Links234 wrote: »
    hey everyone. lately I've noticed that I'm feeling, well, no polite way to say it, a bit constipated every month :o I hate going around feeling all bloaty and crampy, so I had kinda taken to using laxatives a bit, but I dunno if that's the best idea at all, having to rely on them, so I've just been wondering is there something else I should do?

You can get pure fibre in Holland and Barrett, just make sure it's a pure one cos they have one that has artificial sweeteners and other crap in it.
    Or, an aloe vera colon cleanse? You can get that in H&B too:)
    Or prunes/prune juice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

does the injection stop periods yeah?? :o

does the injection stop periods yeah?? :o

It depends on the person really. It stopped mine completely. The other side effects were so bad. Another boardsie mentioned they bled for three months straight.

Personally, I would be extremely hesitant to get Depro Provera. It's a horrendous drug that really screws with your body ime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

It depends on the person really. It stopped mine completely. The other side effects were so bad. Another boardsie mentioned they bled for three months straight.

Personally, I would be extremely hesitant to get Depro Provera. It's a horrendous drug that really screws with your body ime.

Ive been on it for about 3 weeks now and im due around now but no sign of it!

Id prefer to go on the implant because i cant go on the pill but i was just finished my period so my doctor said i couldnt so he suggested the injection because condoms are 100% and then i he is making me another appointment for august/september with a different doctor to get the impant

No, you may not get any period at all. Most that I know of don't get anything.

I don't know anything about the implant but I would advise getting off depro provera as quickly as you can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

This seems very linked to the aul menstrual cycle. It happens to me and a few other girls I know.
    I find red bull gets things moving if I am constipated. Probably a woeful solution to the problem but it works for me. :o
    I did the laxatives thing for a while but felt that over time I was relying on them far too much.
    Lots of water and maybe try that stuff from H&B, can't hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I am ashamed to say that the smear test I had done about 2 weeks ago was my first in 4 years. Anyway, the results came back irregular and I have to go for a colposcopy in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not overly worried but my mind convinces me of all sorts if I let myself dwell on it.

Just a reminder to look after your bits ladies and get your smears done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Shivers26 wrote: »
    This seems very linked to the aul menstrual cycle. It happens to me and a few other girls I know.
    I find red bull gets things moving if I am constipated. Probably a woeful solution to the problem but it works for me. :o
    I did the laxatives thing for a while but felt that over time I was relying on them far too much.
    Lots of water and maybe try that stuff from H&B, can't hurt.

It'll be the caffeine in the Red Bull doing that - caffeine is a laxative in large doses. So basically it's the same as taking a laxative.

If you wish to keep yourself regular, the more natural way, try replacing white bread with wholegrain, same for rice, drink plenty of water and juices, and fruit, avoid processed food and junk food, as far as I know they add to the problem. Just generally a better diet, one high in fibre, should help. Oh and experts say good exercise. It's all individual though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I am ashamed to say that the smear test I had done about 2 weeks ago was my first in 4 years. Anyway, the results came back irregular and I have to go for a colposcopy in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not overly worried but my mind convinces me of all sorts if I let myself dwell on it.

Just to let you know that I had a colposcopy a while ago and it was grand, and I hate smears, so thats saying something:).

I was quite worried about it, but the clinic was so lovely (went through the cervical check programme, which I think you are doing too?) and they explained everything to me really well. Good luck with it all xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

Drink a cup of lukewarm water with a squeeze of lemon first thing every morning, its like magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I keep putting it off cause I'm scared >_< I'll make the appointment tomorrow, I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Ok having my first smear test next Tuesday so. Kinda nervous, have read up on it so know what to expect. Doesn't sound all that pleasant though.

Haven't had sex in a long time, maybe I'll enjoy it :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

You'll be grand, Princess Peach! It's not that comfortable but it's not as bad as the dentist and takes less time. And even better than the dentist, you can chat away to the doc to distract yourself from what's going on :) Then you don't have to bother with it for another three years (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ok having my first smear test next Tuesday so. Kinda nervous, have read up on it so know what to expect. Doesn't sound all that pleasant though.

Haven't had sex in a long time, maybe I'll enjoy it :pac::pac:

You'll be grand, the most uncomfortable part is usually the speculum being inserted, but even that isn't sore or anything, it just feels a bit weird. The smear itself is completely painless.

Hopefully it'll come back crystal clear and you can forget about it for another three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Im just over two weeks on cerazette. Took it on the first day of period, which went on for 4 or 5 days but that was normal. I had a week free. No side effects from it until this week. A second period which started on monday. I read this can happen, its nothing like light spotting. I thought I was at the end of it yesterday, but today, it doesn't look like it. I was at the doctor about it yesterday. I was really hoping to continue with it as my first week was great. To good to be true. Well im comparing it to microlite I was on for a few days last year.

But please some one tell me this will stop? This bleeding was the very reason I didn't want the mini-pill in the first place.

I have also been trying to loose weight but im not sure as I only had 7 days free out of 18 and i'm heavier during periods. It doesn't do much for the confidence. Working out and watching what you eat and you don't get anything back with all the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

did you not ask the doctor and what did they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

But please some one tell me this will stop? This bleeding was the very reason I didn't want the mini-pill in the first place
    In theory it should settle, but I got pissed off with Cerazette after getting 5 periods in 9 weeks on it and going up yet another cup size, and switched to something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Yeah I asked the doctor, was told it should settle and to give it a few months. Kind of want it to stop now. Anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Yeah I asked the doctor, was told it should settle and to give it a few months. Kind of want it to stop now. Anyway.

It can take anything from 3 to 6 months to settle, and for others it never settles at all, everyone reacts differently to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sashmo

Too right Yes ladies please look after yourselves and get your smears done.

I was in your situation about this time last year. Yes I tried to be brave yet it's there in the back of your mind all the time. The attention to detail in the hospital was second to none. After the colposcopy the cells are expected to return to normal. If not then the next procedure is called LLETZ. This was my situation so more needless worry about that. Appointments in my case were spread out 2 monthly so it seems quiet slow progress. Finally got the letter in the post in May saying the previous smear came back showing no abnormal cells. Such relief.

I want to wish you all the best with your appointment. Seriously don't worry there's really nothing to it.

Ladies, I've decided to go on the pill as I'm very much trying to not get pregnant!

I spent 4 years on depro provera, I'll be off it three years in August and my body still isn't right.

I'm just wondering what your experiences are with different pills, I'm going to go to my doc but bless him he's old and he tends to be set in his ways, I.e. there's probably just one pill that he puts everyone on. I just want to have some idea of what I could talk to him about. I'm obviously looking for the one with the least side effects and the least negative effect on my body.

Any info would be great so I can chat to my doc with a little more education on the matter :)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Whoopsadaisy - when I started the pill I was put on microlite which was supposed to be the lowest dose. It made me into a roaring lunatic, bawling crying, emotional, irrational lunatic. I felt sad ALL the time, my boobs were constantly sore. I went back after the 1st 3 months and was changed onto Yasmin. I've been on that for ages and the first week or so I was a bit emotional but was grand afterwards. Just my experiences anyway.

Ladies, I've decided to go on the pill as I'm very much trying to not get pregnant!

I spent 4 years on depro provera, I'll be off it three years in August and my body still isn't right.

I'm just wondering what your experiences are with different pills, I'm going to go to my doc but bless him he's old and he tends to be set in his ways, I.e. there's probably just one pill that he puts everyone on. I just want to have some idea of what I could talk to him about. I'm obviously looking for the one with the least side effects and the least negative effect on my body.

Any info would be great so I can chat to my doc with a little more education on the matter :)

Thanks

I was on Yasmin years ago and found that great, but then my blood pressure creeped up and I moved onto cerazette. That is a little harder to deal with and it does take time to settle down, but once it does period free for me Whoop!!

You may have to do a trial and error with a few kinds, everyone reacts differently and you should give each one at least 3 months to see if it suits you (obviously dire side effects may shorten that timescale if required)
    You could also go to a well woman centre with regards to your contraception, if you feel your doctor is not going to be open to discussion on the subject.

Thanks for the info ladies. I'm dreading putting crap into my body again tbh but I feel it needs to be done. I will look into yasmin have a read up online about it etc. I might go to the well woman clinic actually, could be the best thing to do :)
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would you not go to a different doctor? You don't have to go to the same one all the time. Maybe go to one who may be a little more clued in?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info ladies. I'm dreading putting crap into my body again tbh but I feel it needs to be done. I will look into yasmin have a read up online about it etc. I might go to the well woman clinic actually, could be the best thing to do :)
    Thanks.

I think those clinics are worth it, they deal with everything you could possibly need from contraception, to pregnancy tests to smears. So could be good to build up a relationship with the staff in any of their clinics - it is a one stop shop for all our girly needs!:D

Advertisement