Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Hey!

Just wondering if STI checks are expensive? Can anyone recommend somewhere to get it done in Dublin. I'm doing it just to be safe, even though i pretty sure i don't have any. This would be the first time going for one, has anyone ever gotten one before? What are they like?

James hospital do them for free, but ya have to go early to get a ticket. They do 3 mornings a week I think Monday Tuesday, check that's right! I think we got there about half 7 and were the first ones there, then they allocate tickets when they open, the number of tickets is different each day, depending on how many appts they have, so some people didn't get a ticket. Then the ticket is for an appt later that day.
    Wellwoman do it for around €120 I think. It's on their website anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

dearg lady wrote: »
    James hospital do them for free, but ya have to go early to get a ticket. They do 3 mornings a week I think Monday Tuesday, check that's right! I think we got there about half 7 and were the first ones there, then they allocate tickets when they open, the number of tickets is different each day, depending on how many appts they have, so some people didn't get a ticket. Then the ticket is for an appt later that day.
    Wellwoman do it for around €120 I think. It's on their website anyway

Thank You!!

Im in Dublin this weekend but i dont think that will work!
    I'll try get up to Dublin during the week sometime and book an appointment!

As far as i know i think i have to go to waterford or else call waterford to make an appointment im not too sure how it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

No, you may not get any period at all. Most that I know of don't get anything.

I don't know anything about the implant but I would advise getting off depro provera as quickly as you can :)

The implant and Depo Provera are the same thing. I'm on my second year of my third implant so eight years but the nurse wouldn't give it to me until I tried the Depo Provera first , she said if that agreed with me then the implant would too. I've had no problems at all from the implant and wouldn't hesitate in having a fourth put in when the time comes but I know friends who it didn't agree with at all and both had it removed after a couple of months. Neither of them were advised to try the Depo Provera first , if they had they'd have known it wouldn't agree with them without having to have the implant put in and then removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am 30 and my periods have always been like clockwork but all of a sudden they seem to be coming earlier, was only a day or two last but I just started now which is 6 days earlier than expected. I am under a lot of stress right now but I always thought periods were delayed by stress not brought on?

Any thoughts girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Karen23 wrote: »
    The implant and Depo Provera are the same thing. I'm on my second year of my third implant so eight years but the nurse wouldn't give it to me until I tried the Depo Provera first , she said if that agreed with me then the implant would too. I've had no problems at all from the implant and wouldn't hesitate in having a fourth put in when the time comes but I know friends who it didn't agree with at all and both had it removed after a couple of months. Neither of them were advised to try the Depo Provera first , if they had they'd have known it wouldn't agree with them without having to have the implant put in and then removed.

I've never been on the depo and I have the IUS implant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Thank You!!

Im in Dublin this weekend but i dont think that will work!
    I'll try get up to Dublin during the week sometime and book an appointment!

As far as i know i think i have to go to waterford or else call waterford to make an appointment im not too sure how it works!

Have a look here

http://www.aidswest.ie/other_sti_clinics.php

Just ring to make an appointment. It's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Lux23 wrote: »
    I am 30 and my periods have always been like clockwork but all of a sudden they seem to be coming earlier, was only a day or two last but I just started now which is 6 days earlier than expected. I am under a lot of stress right now but I always thought periods were delayed by stress not brought on?

Any thoughts girls?

Stress can play a factor in early or late ovulation -therefore period will be the same-earlier or later.

Having said that,keep a written record of your cycles,and if this pattern continues,seek medical advice.

Sharrow wrote: »
    I've never been on the depo and I have the IUS implant.

No , you don't have to have been on depo , it's just recommended you try it first cos they're both the same but the depo is only for three months so you'll know if it suits you before having the implant fitted.

Daisies wrote: »
    Have a look here

http://www.aidswest.ie/other_sti_clinics.php

Just ring to make an appointment. It's free.

that is great!

Thanks Daisies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

The implant and Depo Provera are the same thing.

They're not, they're different hormones and you can react completely differently to them. I've seen people try out Depo, find it grand and then find implanon awful, and vice versa. There's no real point using Depo as a trial run tbh, glad it worked out for you though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Has anyone been on the contraceptive patch? I went to my doctor requesting to change pill as I was having some unpleasant but minor side effects, but she wouldn't give me a different pill- she said the only way she would be prepared to "mess around" with something that was otherwise working fine was if I would change to longer-term contraception and offered me a choice of patch or injection!

I went with the patch, had some reservations as I overheard the pharmacist say that she didn't know you could still get it as it was useless! I'm on the second week and loving the convenience, however it's really ugly. Lint sticks to it and there's a grubby line all around it. I've googled and there is no safe way to clean around it. Pity, as this may mean I change again whereas it's actually quite good otherwise. There's nothing attractive about having a dirty looking plaster stuck on your a*se!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Semele, it seems strange that your doctor refuses to prescribe a different pill for you given that you're not happy with the one you're on currently. It's all very well for her to say it's otherwise working fine but if you feel strongly that the side effects are too much I'd consider switching doctors if she won't listen to you.

Sorry I've no other advice for you! I never considered the patch myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

3 weeks late. definitely no chance i'm pregnant.
    This happened me new year too. had a break up, then xmas, then new year work stress then college stress. and i was 2 weeks late. wasnt bothered but just wondering and cousin said stress so it made sense.

been back on track since, but June was awful month, had a death, then stress of all that and other things. so basically i'm 3 weeks late, id actually not thought of it until few days ago when i could feel it coming.

what happened in June obv is not over but that immediate stress /worrying period is over.
    i just know this is not good for my body butjust wondering ideas to calm my unconscious mind. i drink calmomile and walk beach .
    ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

3 weeks late. definitely no chance i'm pregnant.
    This happened me new year too. had a break up, then xmas, then new year work stress then college stress. and i was 2 weeks late. wasnt bothered but just wondering and cousin said stress so it made sense.

been back on track since, but June was awful month, had a death, then stress of all that and other things. so basically i'm 3 weeks late, id actually not thought of it until few days ago when i could feel it coming.

what happened in June obv is not over but that immediate stress /worrying period is over.
    i just know this is not good for my body butjust wondering ideas to calm my unconscious mind. i drink calmomile and walk beach .
    ideas?

I find hatha yoga brilliant for developing a sense of calm and well-being

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No , you don't have to have been on depo , it's just recommended you try it first cos they're both the same but the depo is only for three months so you'll know if it suits you before having the implant fitted.

The problem with that is that once you get the Depo shot it's in your body for 3 months whether it suits you or not. At least you can have the implant removed. One of the girls I work with bled for 3 months solidly after depo. She got the implant a year later and had no problems.

pampootie wrote: »
    They're not, they're different hormones and you can react completely differently to them. I've seen people try out Depo, find it grand and then find implanon awful, and vice versa. There's no real point using Depo as a trial run tbh, glad it worked out for you though!

Why would two different people , a doctor in the surgery and the nurse that fitted the implant tell me they were the same if they weren't ?

That was eight years ago and my sisters doctor told her the very same thing two months ago and we don't have the same doctor

Why would two different people , a doctor in the surgery and the nurse that fitted the implant tell me they were the same if they weren't ?

That was eight years ago and my sisters doctor told her the very same thing two months ago and we don't have the same doctor

My Doctor told me they had the same hormones in them! And that was June of this year. As far as i know they arent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I have absolutely no idea to be honest! They may have meant or thought that as they're both based on the progesterone hormone they would be the same but that's very misleading. It would be like saying that all combined pills (yasmin, microlite,dianette etc etc) are the same because they are all based on various forms of a similar type of hormone and therefore you should have the same reaction to all of them. A quick look back over this thread will show countless stories of women finding one pill not suiting and another one will. The same applies for depo and implanon, some women can tolerate both, some neither, and some only one or the other. I'm a pharmacist and i promise you they're different hormones, you can look it up for yourself on www.medicines.ie if you like, i'd link the pages but i'm on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭skmck

Hi all,

Im unsure if I am in the correct thread for this but it seemed like the best place to start.

I am unable to have sex and have only recently discovered that I have a condition called vaginismus & from reading loads of articles, Ive realised im not a freak and there are many people out there who suffer/suffered from the same problem.

Its taken me a long time to come to terms with the whole thing and I have only recently built up the courage to finally try to speak to someone who can help me.

Im in Dublin and am looking for recommendations of where the best place/counsellor would be?

I know we cannot mention names on this site so I would really really appreciate if anyone has any information or useful advice to send me a private message.

skmck wrote: »
    Im in Dublin and am looking for recommendations of where the best place/counsellor would be?

I know we cannot mention names on this site so I would really really appreciate if anyone has any information or useful advice to send me a private message.

Hi skmck,

This is the perfect place to start. I hope that some of our posters will be able to lead you in the right direction.

With regard to naming clinics, I have recently clarified the situation on this and can confirm that recommendation of clinics and doctors is allowed, defamatory and potential libelous claims are of course not. If you would prefer to be pm'd then that is absolutely no problem :)

Best of luck with everything.

whoopsadaisydoodles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Has anyone any experience of the contraceptive pill Zoely? I was prescribed it today after 18 months on Yaz (which I cannot wait to finish, hate it). I think Zoely is only available in Ireland for the last six months so I haven't seen too much about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Has anyone any experience of the contraceptive pill Zoely? I was prescribed it today after 18 months on Yaz (which I cannot wait to finish, hate it). I think Zoely is only available in Ireland for the last six months so I haven't seen too much about it.

I've been on it for the last 3 months, previously on Dianette and Yasminelle, neither of which agreed with me properly. I'm finding Zoely fine so far, I was a bit concerned about it at first because it's so new but I haven't had any ill-effects. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

I'm looking into contraceptives now, but as a smoker, wondering what could be safest? I have two friends who had strokes in their early 20s by smoking while on the pill. Cost is also a factor for me. Any other smokers here who have been recommended one form over another?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Hi budgese, I'm not a smoker but I'm thinking that maybe a contraceptive which has a lower dose of hormone than the pill might be the thing. So that would give you options like the copper coil (no hormone) or the Mirena coil (1/5 the dose of the pill approximately).

Having said that, I don't know how much the risk of stroke is increased by if one starts taking the pill. It might be good to check that out. I know it does increase the risk somewhat but not by how much; your friends could have just been really unlucky or had some other risk factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I'm not a smoker either but used to get focal migraines, which when combined with the pill can hugely increase the risk of strokes. My gp told me to consider progesterone-only options, but it might not be the same risk levels for smokers. I'd say you'd be best off going to a clinic or a gp experienced in advising about different forms of contraception to get an idea of all the options available and then pick the best of those for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aurellia

My Dr. has changed me to NuvaRing after a disastrous year on Microlite (i'm the disaster- forgot it, lost it, threw up etc!). I used to be on Implanon and after the second year on the second one had it taken out - i was continuously getting cysts in my left breast.

So, i've finished my pill on Tuesday and am due to take/ put in NuvaRing on Tuesday :confused:(???) and being honest i feel "unprepaired". My Dr hasn't forced it on me she has recommended it and talked about it on my last two visits of needing the MAP Pill due to "mistakes". I needed a new prescription for my pill and she wouldn't give it to me as she feels this is the better option for me or else the patch.

I've dropped prescription into pharmacy but am not sure. I don't know is it me hesitating as i'm not sure what to expect so am looking for your experiences, comments, and feedback. Thanks.

Hi Aurellia,

This is a great thread for contraceptive advice so I have moved your post here :)

whoopsadaisydoodles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've a bit of a weird question. I was diagnosed with PCOS by the doctor in the hospital at my last visit. While I'm THRILLED to have a diagnosis, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS. Has anyone any experience? Googling it just makes me completely scared that I'm infertile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I've a bit of a weird question. I was diagnosed with PCOS by the doctor in the hospital at my last visit. While I'm THRILLED to have a diagnosis, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS. Has anyone any experience? Googling it just makes me completely scared that I'm infertile.

There's been a couple of threads on this over the last while.
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=1011&query=PCOS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I'm looking into contraceptives now, but as a smoker, wondering what could be safest? I have two friends who had strokes in their early 20s by smoking while on the pill. Cost is also a factor for me. Any other smokers here who have been recommended one form over another?

Microlite was always the one my doc had me on for years (though most docs will tell you to avoid the pill with migraine, mine were cycle related so it got rid, as did pregnancy!:)), both with smoking and suffering migraines on my natural cycle, I very rarely got them on this pill.
    Back on it now after the baby,but getting a lot of extended periods/break through, so not sure if it's working for me now. Still no migraines though touch wood :)

Advertisement