Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Hi All,

Quick question in relation to the morning after pill...When is it normal to get your period after you take the morning after pill? I took one last Sunday and have now gotten my period (about 2 weeks early)...is this a normal side effect or something I need to go to the doctor about? I remember reading on the packet that my period would come as normal so now I am confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

SL10 wrote: »
    Hi All, Quick question in relation to the morning after pill...When is it normal to get your period after you take the morning after pill? I took one last Sunday and have now gotten my period (about 2 weeks early)...is this a normal side effect or something I need to go to the doctor about? I remember reading on the packet that my period would come as normal so now I am confused!

Yes that can happen but if you are concerned talk to your Dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

SL10 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Quick question in relation to the morning after pill...When is it normal to get your period after you take the morning after pill? I took one last Sunday and have now gotten my period (about 2 weeks early)...is this a normal side effect or something I need to go to the doctor about? I remember reading on the packet that my period would come as normal so now I am confused!

You should have been told when you got the pill that it may affect the timing of your next period. Nothing to worry about. http://www.mccabespharmacy.com/health-advice/emergency-contraception/

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Hi all,

has anyone experienced mirena removal? i had mine out on friday under general anasthetic after 4 years of it in. Hated the thing, never been so glad to have it out. physically i feel ok at the moment, but i feel drained and generally down. is it to be expected with the hormones out of your body?

Under general anaesthetic?
    I've had two removed and they were done in my gps clinic.
    I had new ones fitted at the same time.

• Advertisement

Sharrow wrote: »
    Under general anaesthetic?
    I've had two removed and they were done in my gps clinic.
    I had new ones fitted at the same time.

The strings had been twisted around the device and it couldnt be pulled out by the doc!

The strings had been twisted around the device and it couldnt be pulled out by the doc!

Yikes never heard of that happening before, you must have gotten such a fright.

It will take a while for your body to recover from the general and to adjust to the hormones being gone as they make your body think you are pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

has anyone experienced mirena removal? i had mine out on friday under general anasthetic after 4 years of it in. Hated the thing, never been so glad to have it out. physically i feel ok at the moment, but i feel drained and generally down. is it to be expected with the hormones out of your body?

Can take up to two weeks just to fully recover from a general anaesthetic, so I wouldn't worry too much.

thanks ladies, i feel a bit better already!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Lux23 wrote: »
    I am 30 and my periods have always been like clockwork but all of a sudden they seem to be coming earlier, was only a day or two last but I just started now which is 6 days earlier than expected. I am under a lot of stress right now but I always thought periods were delayed by stress not brought on?

Any thoughts girls?

So I went to the doctor and booked in for a smear etc but she asked about my diet and I told her I am on Atkins and she reckons that's what is causing the irregular bleeding! Never even crossed my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OK, going unreg for this because - well, it's sensitive I guess. I'm quite late for my period - my cycle has tended to be 28-33 days in the last 18 months, though a few months ago one was 35. However, it's been 40 days now and I'm starting to get a little concerned. I've taken two ClearBlue pregnancy tests and they were both negative. My head is wrecked however and I keep thinking of all the reasons you can get a false negative, and reading about women who kept getting false negs well into their pregnancy. I decided to ring the wellwoman centre re getting a test and the woman asked me if I'd done a home test. I told her I had, and that they were negative, and her response was that they are quite accurate, but that if I wanted I could come in and the nurse would do a urine test and what it would cost. I'm a student and I don't have a lot of money, but I would like to know one way or the other what the story is. I haven't been under any real stress recently (until the last couple of days), my weight hasn't changed, I can't think of anything extrinsic that would affect it, though there is that possibility and I would like to know for sure as soon as possible. I'm just concerned that the test the nurse will do is pretty much the same as the home kit and I will be wasting my money. From reading around online (not always the best thing to do I know, but I can't help myself) it seems to be rare that a urine test won't detect HCG, even early on, but possible. I just want to know one way or the other, so I can figure out what to do, or find out what else is going on. I've posted here instead of personal issues because I want advice from other women, maybe somebody else has had this exp and has some advice or knows what I should do? I don't know whether to go to the nurse, esp if the test is the same as the ones I've already done and I end up back at square one and down in pocket, or if it's more reliable than the home ones, and if not what I should do?? Please help

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I hope I don't alarm you, but just a story from my experience, my cousin had negative test after negative test, at home, the doctors, well woman, you name it - it was only after a physical exam, when she was exasperated after no period and feeling odd for months that a doctor told her she was by that time over five months pregnant! They never were able to give a clear reason to why all the negative- and she's very tall so didn't show dramatically,just felt bloated. Needless to say she was a mixture of surprised, but yet suspected something was up :eek: baby made her confirmation earlier this year:)

I hope I don't alarm you, but just a story from my experience, my cousin had negative test after negative test, at home, the doctors, well woman, you name it - it was only after a physical exam, when she was exasperated after no period and feeling odd for months that a doctor told her she was by that time over five months pregnant! They never were able to give a clear reason to why all the negative- and she's very tall so didn't show dramatically,just felt bloated. Needless to say she was a mixture of surprised, but yet suspected something was up :eek: baby made her confirmation earlier this year:)

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm afraid of...that I'll keep getting negatives and they'll be wrong. Is there anyway I can get a dr or nurse or something to listen and take me seriously? I really don't know what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm afraid of...that I'll keep getting negatives and they'll be wrong. Is there anyway I can get a dr or nurse or something to listen and take me seriously? I really don't know what to do

You haven't actually said whether or not you've had unprotected sex in the past few months - are you stressing just because your cycle is messed up, or do you genuinely think you could be pregnant?

You can't "make" a doctor or nurse take you seriously. The Well Woman clinic have already said you can come in for another test, so I'm not really sure what else you think can be done at this stage?

Honey-ec wrote: »
    You haven't actually said whether or not you've had unprotected sex in the past few months - are you stressing just because your cycle is messed up, or do you genuinely think you could be pregnant?

You can't "make" a doctor or nurse take you seriously. The Well Woman clinic have already said you can come in for another test, so I'm not really sure what else you think can be done at this stage?

I was seeing a guy, we decided not to make it serious as he was moving away with his family once he finished college so there was no point. Since my last period we were together twice - once we didn't have full penetrative sex, so I didn't worry too much about it at the time, then a few weeks ago, before he left, we all went out a sort of farewell party, I got quite drunk and he came home with me, I don't have much recollection after getting home but the next morning there was a condom in the bin, so I assumed it was ok, but of course now I'm not so sure....I know I've been stupid, I'm beating myself up about it now, I might be pregnant, I might not, I just want to know one way or the other so I know what to do...

You say you're a student and cost is an issue - perhaps go to the doctor in your college and they will be able to help you for free? Seems like the easiest way to find out for sure! Try not to worry too much, though I know how easy it is to freak out.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Well, it was months before they did a physical exam on her, and they were stumped as to the previous negs, but all I could suggest is if they could do a round of bloods to see if anything else is out of whack hormone wise?
    So are you about ten days late at this stage?-there probably wouldn't be anything other than the regular tests at the mo, it's more likely that your cycle will be along in time-bit of a watched pot scenario, I'm pretty sure surprise pregnancies are fairly rare and more highlighted lately because of reality TV I've worried myself over watching them :) But if it keeps going with no joy, just keep on at the well woman/docs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Wonder83

Would recommend this book to any woman who wants to know more about her plumbing - A New View of a Woman's Body by Federation of Feminist Women's Health Center. A great read on women's anatomy, self examination and health.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

OK, going unreg for this because - well, it's sensitive I guess. I'm quite late for my period - my cycle has tended to be 28-33 days in the last 18 months, though a few months ago one was 35. However, it's been 40 days now and I'm starting to get a little concerned. I've taken two ClearBlue pregnancy tests and they were both negative. My head is wrecked however and I keep thinking of all the reasons you can get a false negative, and reading about women who kept getting false negs well into their pregnancy. I decided to ring the wellwoman centre re getting a test and the woman asked me if I'd done a home test. I told her I had, and that they were negative, and her response was that they are quite accurate, but that if I wanted I could come in and the nurse would do a urine test and what it would cost. I'm a student and I don't have a lot of money, but I would like to know one way or the other what the story is. I haven't been under any real stress recently (until the last couple of days), my weight hasn't changed, I can't think of anything extrinsic that would affect it, though there is that possibility and I would like to know for sure as soon as possible. I'm just concerned that the test the nurse will do is pretty much the same as the home kit and I will be wasting my money. From reading around online (not always the best thing to do I know, but I can't help myself) it seems to be rare that a urine test won't detect HCG, even early on, but possible. I just want to know one way or the other, so I can figure out what to do, or find out what else is going on. I've posted here instead of personal issues because I want advice from other women, maybe somebody else has had this exp and has some advice or knows what I should do? I don't know whether to go to the nurse, esp if the test is the same as the ones I've already done and I end up back at square one and down in pocket, or if it's more reliable than the home ones, and if not what I should do?? Please help

Get your prolactin levels checked via a blood test, a raised level can cause periods to stop. Its quite common and stress affects it too. its easy fixed too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I know theres been previous threads on this but I wanted a more up to date one to know where you can get the morning after pill and what price on a bank holiday ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

You can get it in your local pharmacy. Price varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Over the counter.

€15 in DocMorris. They have 72 locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Polloloca wrote: »
    You can get it in your local pharmacy. Price varies.

Local isn't open on bank holidays hence the need for an alternative.... :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Local isn't open on bank holidays hence the need for an alternative.... :S
    A pharmacy then. There is always at least one open on a bank holiday. Your nearest boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Would a pharmacy near your local hospital be open tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I know in Boots they require a doctors prescription for it, and it costs €45.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I know in Boots they require a doctors prescription for it, and it costs €45.

You don't' need a dr prescription to get it from boots anymore.

Hi
    I got the Mirena removed Friday and inserted a nuvaring on Saturday and last night I started bleeding.
    I wasn't aware inserting it would induce a period and this is really inconvenient for me.
    I'm extra whingy/annoyed because not only do I have my period unannounced for the 1st time in forever but I feel super weak/ill because its so heavy! :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hi
    I got the Mirena removed Friday and inserted a nuvaring on Saturday and last night I started bleeding.
    I wasn't aware inserting it would induce a period and this is really inconvenient for me.
    I'm extra whingy/annoyed because not only do I have my period unannounced for the 1st time in forever but I feel super weak/ill because its so heavy! :(:(:(

I bled heavily after having the mirena removed. I'd say it's that that's causing your bleeding, rather than the nuvaring

• Advertisement

How long is it supposed to last? My Doctor mentioned nothing in fact she said I wouldn't bleed until the ring free week

Advertisement