Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

How long is it supposed to last? My Doctor mentioned nothing in fact she said I wouldn't bleed until the ring free week

Hi there.
    If you're having side effects which your doctor said you wouldn't have, you need to give them a call and let them know what's happening. They are the only ones able to advise in such a situation.
    Best of luck
    whoopsadaisydoodles

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Not sure if I'm allowed to ask this but if I'm not, mods please feel free to delete.

I've just been prescribed a new contraceptive pill called Marviol after being on Microlite for just over 18 months. Just found that lately I was becoming more and more moody, down, depressed, anxious and almost paranoid so decided it was time to change. Also have had some breakthrough bleeding lately which was a little bit annoying.

Just wondered is there anyone here who has been or is on Marivol that can tell me how they found it?

I haven't actually started it yet. My GP recommended that I finish my current pack of Microlite, take my 7 day break and then start on the Marivol.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Purple Pawprints - different people react differently to different pills. Finding the 'right' one for you is trial and error, unfortunately. I've been off the pill for a couple of years now. Had been on it for 8 years and had the depo provera injection before that. The injection sent me mental and when the effects wore off it was like a huge cloud had lifted! I tried a number of different pills over the years; some suited me and some didn't. However, I wanted to give my body a break after being on it for so long and couldn't believe the difference in myself after a while. I actually felt like myself again and felt much better, in lots of ways, than I had in a long while!

Recently it's been recommended that I go back on the pill for a couple of 'female health' reasons but I'm finding other ways to deal with that. I weighed it up and, for me, I'd rather be sane and less moody and feel balanced, than be on the pill again. I'm finding other ways of dealing with the health issues - with the doctor's knowledge and advice, of course! So, to cut a long story short - maybe give yourself a little break from the pill to get your balance back and consider other forms of contraception long term. It doesn't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aurellia

Purplepaws- if i'm reading this right you found on the Microlite you were depressed, down, paranoid????? If yes, then me too!! Came off it last month as thought i was losing my marbles as well the fact i was a disaster at remembering to take it in the 12 months i was on it. Previous to that was on Implanol and no hysteria.

Anyway last 11 days am on Nuvaring and i feel fine so far, its easy peasy- put it in and bobs ur uncle. Dont feel hormonal so far!! Good luck with ur new contraceptive X

Aurellia wrote: »
    Purplepaws- if i'm reading this right you found on the Microlite you were depressed, down, paranoid????? If yes, then me too!! Came off it last month as thought i was losing my marbles as well the fact i was a disaster at remembering to take it in the 12 months i was on it. Previous to that was on Implanol and no hysteria.

Anyway last 11 days am on Nuvaring and i feel fine so far, its easy peasy- put it in and bobs ur uncle. Dont feel hormonal so far!! Good luck with ur new contraceptive X

Yes that's exactly what I found! I was really anxious and down for no reason and I was snappy with people over nothing. My bf was getting fed up having his head taken off.. :o Hopefully once I start the new one I'll be fine. Even just knowing I'm going to be off the Microlite soon is helping. :)

• Advertisement

Yes that's exactly what I found! I was really anxious and down for no reason and I was snappy with people over nothing. My bf was getting fed up having his head taken off.. :o Hopefully once I start the new one I'll be fine. Even just knowing I'm going to be off the Microlite soon is helping. :)

Ouch, I was thinking about Microlite myself but I have such a history of depression and anxiety I'm gonna rethink this now!! Looks like my most ideal option is the copper coil then. Stupid cost issues! Happy to be reading this thread though, at least I can make more informed decisions from other people's experiences.

Ouch, I was thinking about Microlite myself but I have such a history of depression and anxiety I'm gonna rethink this now!! Looks like my most ideal option is the copper coil then. Stupid cost issues! Happy to be reading this thread though, at least I can make more informed decisions from other people's experiences.

Different pills will have different effects for people. Microlite was fine for me for a while but the last 4 or 5 months have been tough because I've been so up and down and this really was the only cause I could think of. You could have a chat to your doctor maybe and see what they think given that you have a history of depression. I'll be starting my new one soon and I'll report back on how I'm doing, I have to give it 2 cycles and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I have a history of anxiety and depression and I've just started on microlite. I'm only 2 weeks in but I feel the very same as I did before I started it! As PP said, it affects everyone differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

This isn't womens' health specific, but ...

Around three weeks ago, I got an injury to my finger, where I sat down in a grassy rural area, putting most of my weight on my hands, and I'm pretty certain a thorn went up into my knuckle, and it's been hurting non-stop since.

Just over a week ago, I went to the doctor, and I mentioned this as well as a few other things. He looked at my finger, pretty much said "pffffttt", and moved on. Even though I made it clear that I was pretty concerned about it, seeing as it was still so sore, and seeing as it was clicking in and out of place!

It's swollen up a whole lot more since then - when I mentioned it to the doctor, he felt the bones out of joint - but, now, you can feel a massive lump and see a visible swelling.

I'm not looking for medical advice - I've to go back to him with it anyways, because it's so sore - but, what I'm wondering is, would I have any grounds in looking for a free appointment? Since he was so dismissive of the injury in the first place, but it's still causing problems? Or would I be awfully cheeky and totally out-of-line to ask for that?

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I have a history of anxiety and depression and I've just started on microlite. I'm only 2 weeks in but I feel the very same as I did before I started it! As PP said, it affects everyone differently.

Me too, I was extremely cautious and apprehensive about taking the pill with the history of depression I have but I took Microlite for 2 years (with my recovery from depression starting only about 6 months beforehand) and I never had any problems of that sort from it. I swapped to Ovranette last year but that was unrelated to depression.

While I experienced no depression on Microlite, I have a friend with no history of depression who did, so different strokes for different folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 standup

not sure if this is the right place to put this but feel free to divert me to the proper forum.. i'm 17, 18 in 3 months and i have cellulite on the back of m legs, not severely but you can still see it.. i'm not fat i'm 5ft 5/5ft 6 and a weight of 7 and a half stone and i exercise with training 3 times a week and i want to know how the hell i got it and more importantly how to get rid of it?? please someone HELP :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

This isn't womens' health specific, but ...

I'm not looking for medical advice - I've to go back to him with it anyways, because it's so sore - but, what I'm wondering is, would I have any grounds in looking for a free appointment? Since he was so dismissive of the injury in the first place, but it's still causing problems? Or would I be awfully cheeky and totally out-of-line to ask for that?

Usually when I go back to the doctor about the same issue (asthma) he only charges me for a follow-up appt - so you shouldn't have to pay the full whack anyway! Worth trying for a free one; I don't think you'd be out of line in asking.

I hope you get it sorted soon - sounds very uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

standup wrote: »
    not sure if this is the right place to put this but feel free to divert me to the proper forum.. i'm 17, 18 in 3 months and i have cellulite on the back of m legs, not severely but you can still see it.. i'm not fat i'm 5ft 5/5ft 6 and a weight of 7 and a half stone and i exercise with training 3 times a week and i want to know how the hell i got it and more importantly how to get rid of it?? please someone HELP :eek:
    its a disorder of connective tissues, the majority of women end up with it, not just the fat ones. improving your diet and cutting out caffiene with bodybrushing is supposed to help with it but im pretty sure that nothing gets rid of it, otherwise we would all be cellulite free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Does anyone know what the currecnt stance is with Tubal Ligation? Ive heard people saying doctors wont agree to do it unless you're old and already have kids?

Ive been on the pill for 10 years. Starting to get migraines with aura, doc said if they get any worse then I need to come off it. I plan on coming off anyway after my wedding next year. Just to give my body a break from hormones.

We dont want children. At least not our own biological children. I dont want a coil or anything else, I dont want any more hormones and all the side effects that go with them.

Other halfs being a bit squeamish about a vasectomy at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Talk to your dr about it and ask for a referral.
    Do some research on it and a vasectomy and show them to your partner.
    A Tubal Ligation has a lot more risks then a Vasectomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Looking for some advice!

I went to the doctor 3 weeks ago to discuss contraception, and it looks like the Implanon is the best option for me. She gave me a prescription for the device then but said I would be better off waiting til I got my next period before getting it implanted.

Started to get my period yesterday so I rang the doctor looking for an appointment for any evening this week and they can't fit me in :confused: They said the nurse had to be present also and that she isn't there in the evenings. Now this would be grand but I can't take any time off work this week :(

I'm at a loss for what to do. Can I just make an appointment for a different clinic? It's going to cost more now as my own doctor was just going to charge me a follow up fee where as now I will have to probably pay a small procedures fee. I don't mind that so much, but will a new doctor even do it when they weren't the one who prescribed it to me?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I just want to get this sorted and out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Looking for some advice!

I went to the doctor 3 weeks ago to discuss contraception, and it looks like the Implanon is the best option for me. She gave me a prescription for the device then but said I would be better off waiting til I got my next period before getting it implanted.

Started to get my period yesterday so I rang the doctor looking for an appointment for any evening this week and they can't fit me in :confused: They said the nurse had to be present also and that she isn't there in the evenings. Now this would be grand but I can't take any time off work this week :(

I'm at a loss for what to do. Can I just make an appointment for a different clinic? It's going to cost more now as my own doctor was just going to charge me a follow up fee where as now I will have to probably pay a small procedures fee. I don't mind that so much, but will a new doctor even do it when they weren't the one who prescribed it to me?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I just want to get this sorted and out of the way!

I dunno if this is right but my advice would be to ring up the well woman centre and ask them if they can insert it for you. worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Somewhere else would do it no bother I'd say. Just make sure the doctor fitting it has some experience doing it because it's not the most comfortable thing in the world and the only times I've heard of it being ineffective is if it's incorrectly inserted. The WWC is a good option alright if it's not too far.

Do you know why the nurse has to be present? I've only ever had a doctor.

I phoned the WWC and they said I would need a consultation :confused: But I already have a prescription!

Apparently it's new practice that there has to be a nurse present - my best friend got one fitted in the same clinic last year and she didn't have one. It's weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I phoned the WWC and they said I would need a consultation :confused: But I already have a prescription!

Apparently it's new practice that there has to be a nurse present - my best friend got one fitted in the same clinic last year and she didn't have one. It's weird.

Is there a male doctor doing the fitting? I was having an exam by a male doctor few months ago, and he waited for a female nurse to come in before he started. Didn't bother me, but I can understand why they do that.
    A bit unfair that it wasn't made clear to you that only daytime appts are available

• Advertisement

dearg lady wrote: »
    Is there a male doctor doing the fitting? I was having an exam by a male doctor few months ago, and he waited for a female nurse to come in before he started. Didn't bother me, but I can understand why they do that.
    A bit unfair that it wasn't made clear to you that only daytime appts are available

See that's what bothered me most I think - had they mentioned that I could have arranged to have a half day off or something, but work is now too busy to do that.

EDIT: Sorry, it was a female doctor. There are three of them in that practice and only one male so I don't think that's it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

That's really weird. I mean, the actual fitting of it isn't all that different to a vaccination, so I wonder why they need a second person.

Could you maybe ask your doc for a letter or to contact the WWC saying you've already had a consultation? Doesn't seem fair that you've to have an extra appointment and pay for both when it's your original clinic's mess-up.

I phoned them this afternoon again to see if there was any way they could do it. "Not before Monday," she says, "which would be too late for you." I'm actually really annoyed and frustrated at this point now, I spent time and money on the consultation, and the device itself is €132 on the DPS. They suggested waiting til next month! My arse if I'll ever go back to that clinic :mad:

I phoned the medical centre around the corner from work - but they don't do implanon fittings anymore, even though it's on their website.

I wonder if there are new regulations about putting them in (i.e. having a nurse present) which has made this an issue....?

I'm going to have to make some panicked phone calls this evening and see if I can arrange something somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I phoned them this afternoon again to see if there was any way they could do it. "Not before Monday," she says, "which would be too late for you." I'm actually really annoyed and frustrated at this point now, I spent time and money on the consultation, and the device itself is €132 on the DPS. They suggested waiting til next month! My arse if I'll ever go back to that clinic :mad:

I phoned the medical centre around the corner from work - but they don't do implanon fittings anymore, even though it's on their website.

I wonder if there are new regulations about putting them in (i.e. having a nurse present) which has made this an issue....?

I'm going to have to make some panicked phone calls this evening and see if I can arrange something somewhere.

This might be a little off topic but from what I understood you can have an implanon inserted at any point in your cycle, but if it is after your period has finished you will have to use another method until it becomes effective, like with the pill. Is this something you would consider?

I was advised I would have to get it done within 1-5 of my period because it takes less time for your body to adjust to the hormones that way, not just for effectiveness but for the way it can affect periods etc.... Not sure if this is just a recommendation or should be followed to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

How did you get on Charlietheminxx?

Hi Sillymoo,

I eventually got an appointment for a nice little place in town this evening. They're charging 100 which is still more than I had budgeted for but means I can get it done (WWC was 150). Totally worth it just to get it done and even the manner of the receptionists was far more pleasant and professional. So hopefully all will go smooth later! Haha. Thanks to all for your input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether I'd have to see the doctor or the nurse to get a pill prescription at a Well Woman clinic? I've been on the pill before...will they take this into account or will I still have to get a 3 month prescription followed by a 6 month one? Can I ask for the pill I was taking before? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Yes you will need to see a dr, yes you can request the brand/type you were on before,
    and you can ask for a 3month prescription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Has anyone else experienced Cerazette leaving them ridiculously sensitive and a bit dry down there to the point that sex or touch is painful??

Advertisement