Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I seem to remember that it did dry me out a bit, but mostly it completely killed my sex drive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Faith wrote: »
    I seem to remember that it did dry me out a bit, but mostly it completely killed my sex drive.

I had this as well. And constant bleeding and moodiness. I only lasted the 3 months on it before I demanded a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I was fine on it, apart from the near constant bleeding....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had this as well. And constant bleeding and moodiness. I only lasted the 3 months on it before I demanded a new one

Yep, the moods were unbelievable!

Does anyone have any experience of moving to the UK? I'm on Yaz right now, and it's a very expensive pill. When I lived in the UK before, they avoided prescribing expensive pills on the NHS and refused to put me on Yasmin for that reason. However, I very much want to stay on Yaz. I assume the worst thing that would happen is I'd have to go private and pay for it?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Yep, the moods were unbelievable!

Does anyone have any experience of moving to the UK? I'm on Yaz right now, and it's a very expensive pill. When I lived in the UK before, they avoided prescribing expensive pills on the NHS and refused to put me on Yasmin for that reason. However, I very much want to stay on Yaz. I assume the worst thing that would happen is I'd have to go private and pay for it?

I use an online service to get repeat prescriptions for the pill in Ireland, they also have an operation in the UK. PM me if you want the details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 carbob

At what age should you start going for smear tests?

25 or after having a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carbob

has anyone tried the contraceptive patch? has anyone any info on it is it as reliable as the pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

At what age should you start going for smear tests?

When you become sexually active, they should be more frequent if you are on the pill or if you are a smoker. Don't wait until you are 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I had my 1st smear in america, when I was 20 and the dr was pretty shocked that I had never one done before. That was "late" there. He told me make sure and have one each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I assume the worst thing that would happen is I'd have to go private and pay for it?

If it was working out very expensive to get Yaz in the UK it might nearly be a cheaper option for you to fly home every six months, get the blood pressure check and new six-month prescription, get the whole prescription filled at once and then fly back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I had my 1st smear in america, when I was 20 and the dr was pretty shocked that I had never one done before. That was "late" there. He told me make sure and have one each year.

My Canadian doctor was the same when I got my first done at 24!

She said smear tests should be started at the age of 20 or 3 years after becoming sexually active. So you take an Irish girl who becomes active at 16/17 and 25 is very old for the first test then.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

My Canadian doctor was the same when I got my first done at 24!

She said smear tests should be started at the age of 20 or 3 years after becoming sexually active. So you take an Irish girl who becomes active at 16/17 and 25 is very old for the first test then.

Well, I don't think Irish doctors would deny that you should get a smear test done when you are sexually active, whatever age that is. The difference is that it is only at 25 that you are offered it for free. I don't see what's wrong with that to be honest. It's the same in Britain and France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I'm in my early thirties Had my very first smear yesterday. Have never been sexually active but thought I should have one anyway. God the nerves...and the pain! I wasn't expecting pain.

It was very difficult but glad I did it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I'm in my early thirties Had my very first smear yesterday. Have never been sexually active but thought I should have one anyway. God the nerves...and the pain! I wasn't expecting pain.

It was very difficult but glad I did it

How long is it supposed to last? My Doctor mentioned nothing in fact she said I wouldn't bleed until the ring free week

OK so the after effects from the mirena lasted 4 days in the end which was fine in the but I cant say anything good about the Nuvaring
    I felt a small bit weepy which is fine but the absolute killer was decreased sex drive
    I was in situations which previously were more than ideal for me to be turned on/ have an orgasm or more and it was just not happening and when I did climax it was like a third of the sensation ..I felt robbed ...It lasted 2 weeks before I noticed and a month before it was removed , which was 2 days ago ...hopefully I go back to normal soon..:(

I've gotten a prescription for Yasmin for which I was on from 17 to 21 and hopefully still agrees with me

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cazita

Hi sorry Im not sure if im on the right place to be asking this but I had to get the morning after pill on 03/09/12. Im now 9 days late. Ive done two pregnancy tests and both were negative but Im still very worried as no sign of my period. Ive felt like its about to come every day for the last week but nothing. Like ive been getting all the pains also I have been feeling like Im about to throw up every day but never do. Is this normal with the morning after pill to be this late. I took the pill 48hrs after sex with my husband. Ive taken it before but have never had this problem before. Im just worried it didnt work but the fact I had two negative tests makes me feel a bit better. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this. Thanks

It can delay your period, if you are worried go back to the dr that prescribed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cazita

I got it in the chemist. I did drop in to talk to them today but they told me to go to the dr. I can't afford it at the moment and want to wait as long as possible before I have to pay for the dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

hiya, does anyone know of ways to bring on a period?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

hiya, does anyone know of ways to bring on a period?

Are you due? Angus Cactus can help regulate them. Parsley tea can help stimulate the uterus...as can lots of sex, well, lots or orgasms...

• Advertisement

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Are you due? Angus Cactus can help regulate them. Parsley tea can help stimulate the uterus...as can lots of sex, well, lots or orgasms...

I am yeah, due since around the 8th and the pain is driving me mad! what's angus cactus?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-agnus-castus.html

A herb that can be used to regulate menstrual cycles.

I'm presuming you've done a pregnancy test if you're sexually active?

Lucyfur wrote: »
    http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-agnus-castus.html

A herb that can be used to regulate menstrual cycles.

I'm presuming you've done a pregnancy test if you're sexually active?

ok cheers for that, might try it out. I hope to start the pill when it does eventually come, hopefully help with the cramps and become more regular. I'm single so definitely not pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can tell me the rough cost of having a smear done privately? I am hoping to book in for one next week but as I am 20 I'm not covered by the free cervIcal check scheme. Thanks.

Between 70 to 100 quid usually if your gp can't do it, then ring the different clinics and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Hey ladies

Was wondering if you know of a place to get the Depo without the additional prescription costs and, maybe, with a student discount? My old GP was great - €50 for consultation with a student card (which I still have), and then no additional prescription fees. I've moved too far away from them now though, and the places I've rung so far charge €70 in total! I normally take the Cerazette, but I'm going away for a few weeks and think the Depo would be a safer option (it's gonna be one of those holidays! :D:p).

Cheers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wondering if anyone has had an endometrial ablation and how they felt afterwards, was there much pain, cramping, etc.?
    Due to have one in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Sharrow wrote: »
    Between 70 to 100 quid usually if your gp can't do it, then ring the different clinics and ask.

Thanks Sharrow, my practice nurse can do them but I forgot to ask what they charge when speaking with my GP. Going to ring up tomorrow to book in, hopefully it's not much more expensive than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Bit of a funny question... Have my first smear this week and I'm wondering should I do anything to prepare myself??

I just did a quick google search and a good few websites said don't wash down there?!!!

• Advertisement

augusta24 wrote: »
    Bit of a funny question... Have my first smear this week and I'm wondering should I do anything to prepare myself??

I just did a quick google search and a good few websites said don't wash down there?!!!

What do you mean by "down there"? If you mean externally, then of course you do (at least IME). If you mean internally then I don't know whether or not it would have an effect, it's a mainly American practice as far as I know so a doctor probably wouldn't think to warn against it.

Advertisement