Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

augusta24 wrote: »
    Bit of a funny question... Have my first smear this week and I'm wondering should I do anything to prepare myself??

I just did a quick google search and a good few websites said don't wash down there?!!!

Don't wash down there? For how long? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

augusta24 wrote: »
    Bit of a funny question... Have my first smear this week and I'm wondering should I do anything to prepare myself??

I just did a quick google search and a good few websites said don't wash down there?!!!

They mean not to douche internally before the smear. Of course shower away as normal :p

I was also recommended to go to the bathroom just before my smear, incase there is pressure out on the bladder or something! Think its recommended to abstain from sex or using tampons 24 or 48 hours previously.

I recommend you call where you are getting it done and ask. I was given a leaflet but I lost it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I got waxed before my first smear :o

You have to be on certain days during your cycle. The best thing is to ask the doctor that's doing it what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mine was a bit impromptu
    Obviously I had showered :p But since it wasn't on my period she wanted to get on with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

It's best if it's done around day 14, around ovulation time:)

I've ALWAYS showered as normal before having a smear done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

When should you go for a smear test?

I may have to go to a doctor soon to do with related problems so i could get one while im at it?

I may have to go to a doctor soon to do with related problems so i could get one while im at it?

Once you're sexually active.

I don't see why not:)

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Once you're sexually active.

I don't see why not:)

oh, well in that case im well over due for one :o

I just need to find a new doctor first then i should be ok! Just really hard to find one and get the time to go :/

oh, well in that case im well over due for one :o

I just need to find a new doctor first then i should be ok! Just really hard to find one and get the time to go :/

It's a whole lot harder to cure cervical cancer, my dear;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

There's certain days during your cycle it can be done, so when you call to make an appointment, know when the first day of your last period was. They'll let you know when is suitable.

It's a whole lot harder to cure cervical cancer, my dear;)

That is true! I'll try get an appointment asap, i think i found an ok female doctor, so i might call for an appointment soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, firstly not looking for medical advice, just experience of other people.
    Just wondering for anyone who had to come off the pill due to loss of libido, how long did it take to return?

unreggy wrote: »
    Hi, firstly not looking for medical advice, just experience of other people.
    Just wondering for anyone who had to come off the pill due to loss of libido, how long did it take to return?
    About 2 weeks after my period / coming off the pill.

Pixie if you're under 25 you've to pay for the smear but I would still recommend going. My recent one turned up abnormal cells, have to get checked again in 6months. Was a bit freaked out.

dearg lady wrote: »
    There's certain days during your cycle it can be done, so when you call to make an appointment, know when the first day of your last period was. They'll let you know when is suitable.

See the problem is, my last period was in May coz i went on the injection so my periods stopped! Ill be going to the doctor soon anyway!
    Pembily wrote: »
    About 2 weeks after my period / coming off the pill.

Pixie if you're under 25 you've to pay for the smear but I would still recommend going. My recent one turned up abnormal cells, have to get checked again in 6months. Was a bit freaked out.

Yea ill do it to be on the safe side! :) How much is it to get done? I'll have to pay because im only 21!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I had a 3 month prescription for the pill. I used it all up with a week left of the pill. Does anyone know if I could ring up asking for another prescription without seeing a doctor? Or do I have to make an appointment?

Yea ill do it to be on the safe side! :) How much is it to get done? I'll have to pay because im only 21!
    No idea, I think it varies. Defo better off getting it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I had a 3 month prescription for the pill. I used it all up with a week left of the pill. Does anyone know if I could ring up asking for another prescription without seeing a doctor? Or do I have to make an appointment?

It depends on your doctor. Mine will happily renew every second Pill prescription without making me come in, whereas some will insist on seeing you. Just ring the surgery and ask.

And ask for a 6 month prescription next time.

Im not comfortable at all with having my normal doctor give me the smear test and check out other things for me but i am finding it insanely hard to get a female doctor to see me without having to switch completely altogether! :mad:

I am trying to sort it but it is so hard to find a doctor for a one time consultation.

Pixie, it's always the practice nurse that does my smear, give that a try :)

• Advertisement

Im not comfortable at all with having my normal doctor give me the smear test and check out other things for me but i am finding it insanely hard to get a female doctor to see me without having to switch completely altogether! :mad:

I am trying to sort it but it is so hard to find a doctor for a one time consultation.

Have you looked into wellwoman?

Pixie, it's always the practice nurse that does my smear, give that a try :)

i didnt even think of her!! Thank God!! Right ill go down monday because i think she is only there either mondays tuesdays and wednsdays or thursdays! I'll ring tomorrow and ask but i dont need to book an appointment before 11 anyway coz its a walk in one! Yay!!

Thanks Lucyfur! :)

Have you looked into wellwoman?

There is no wellwoman near me! id have to go to Dublin i think! And i dont have that much time off! :/

I didnt get the smear done. The nurse said to me since i am 21 i will get abnormal results as it is common and since i am at a young age they will clear up. She said im better off waiting until im 25 to get it done. Its something to do with guidelines now. And i will probably be sent for tests and keep having to go back to check ups so she said it wasnt worth the hassle. But she gave me a pamphlet all about it.

And the other stuff was fine. I just need to be more careful in work, with shaving and to destress because it isnt helping. I have to refrain from certain activities for a little bit and that i will be ok. She said it was good that i did come to her about the problem and that it could have been serious but it isnt! So im ok for the moment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I know I'm in no way qualified to make medical judgements, i just find it strange how doctors in other countries think it best to get smears done at younger ages.

I'm not trying to alarm you in any way Pixie, but in very rare cases young girls do get cervical cancer. I understand Ireland can't afford to offer free smears at younger ages, I just find the strange they refuse to do it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

In the North once you turn 20 (I think, maybe it's 21) you get called for a smear test.

It's really unusual that they would refuse you a smear test though.

I know I'm in no way qualified to make medical judgements, i just find it strange how doctors in other countries think it best to get smears done at younger ages.

I'm not trying to alarm you in any way Pixie, but in very rare cases young girls do get cervical cancer. I understand Ireland can't afford to offer free smears at younger ages, I just find the strange they refuse to do it at all.
    LizT wrote: »
    In the North once you turn 20 (I think, maybe it's 21) you get called for a smear test.

It's really unusual that they would refuse you a smear test though.

I found it weird too but she said if i really wanted it done again she would do it but it would cost me about 40 to 50 quid! I'd say i would freak out if i did it now and got told that results were abnormal! :o

I didnt get the smear done. The nurse said to me since i am 21 i will get abnormal results as it is common and since i am at a young age they will clear up. She said im better off waiting until im 25 to get it done. Its something to do with guidelines now. And i will probably be sent for tests and keep having to go back to check ups so she said it wasnt worth the hassle. But she gave me a pamphlet all about it.

:eek: I had my 1st smear done when I was 20 years old, in America, and the Dr that did it was absolutely HORRIFIED that I hadn't had it done before that, and that it was my 1st at such a late age. He also told me to have one done every year after that too. Mine didn't come back abnormal either, it came back fine.

I'd say seek a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Just some info why under 25 are not screened here :)

http://www.cervicalcheck.ie/information-for-women/who-should-have-a-smear-test.140.html#Iamunder25whyamInotscreened

Some places will do it privately for a big fee but it will not be under the screening programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Claire.dublin6

Hello,

I'm wondering if any of you knows if there is any place (like family planning, contraception centre, hospitals,....) which can give a prescription for the contraceptive pill free of charge?
    Or even giving the pill it-self for free?

I know the GP can give a prescription but it cost money, and I can't really afford it :(
    Any tips on how to save money on it would be good :)

Thanks!
    Claire.

Advertisement