Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

I think Ovranette is turning me into the alien queen... just done the 21 days and now on seven days off... and I think I'm going to need new flatmates at the end. I don't usually PMS like this, it's normally just a few hours of crying uncontrollably. I'm going to give it the three months try anyway.

Just wondering if anyone else found the week off on these pills to be kinda dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

CervicalCheck invites women between the ages of 25 and 60 for cervical screening. Based on evidence to date, there is no additional public health benefit in screening women below the age of 25. In women under the age of 25, minor changes in the cells of the cervix are common, however, invasive cancer is extremely rare. Population-based screening in women under the age of 25 may lead to many women receiving unnecessary treatment for not normal cells that would never have developed into cancer.

My little sisters friend died from Cervical cancer at the age of 16 after a two year long battle with the disease. It may be rare but it can and does happen, sadly.

The reason the free screening is not available below 25 is because the cost of screening those additional women would be less cost effective. They would spend more doing smears than they would treating those women who are diagnosed with cervical cancer below the age of 25. It sucks but I guess it is going to have to be private for me for the next 5 years!

Just wondering if anyone else found the week off on these pills to be kinda dangerous?

I've been on Ovranette for a year or two now, I get pretty narky but it's nothing unusual.

I've been on Ovranette for a year or two now, I get pretty narky but it's nothing unusual.

Cheers, I'm just curious because I never get this bad for this long at my time of the month, and this is my first time on birth control. Today I've been absolutely fine though, I also was dying from a cold for a few days so might not have been much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WhiteRose90

Not sure if this is the right place but has anyone on Cerazette gotten dandruff and dry skin with spots? I can pick large chunks of skin from my head and eyebrows :( I don't mind the spots but the dry skin is a bit annoying not to mention itchy at times. I get a little nausia and irritable as well. Anyone else had side effects like this? Thinking of coming off it all together and I'm only on it 2 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Not sure if this is the right place but has anyone on Cerazette gotten dandruff and dry skin with spots? I can pick large chunks of skin from my head and eyebrows :( I don't mind the spots but the dry skin is a bit annoying not to mention itchy at times. I get a little nausia and irritable as well. Anyone else had side effects like this? Thinking of coming off it all together and I'm only on it 2 weeks!

Hi, I was on Cerazatte last year, and my skin wasn't great on it either. It was mostly spots though. I do tend to get dermatitis on my scalp though, similar to what you've described. It gets worse when I'm stressed, and Cerazette had me really stressed! It affected my mood terribly.

Of course every woman reacts differently to various pills, but my experience is pretty similar to yours. Tbh it put me right off the pill in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

dearg lady wrote: »
    There's certain days during your cycle it can be done, so when you call to make an appointment, know when the first day of your last period was. They'll let you know when is suitable.
    See the problem is, my last period was in May coz i went on the injection so my periods stopped! Ill be going to the doctor soon anyway!

Yea ill do it to be on the safe side! :) How much is it to get done? I'll have to pay because im only 21!

Yea I couldn't tell you when my last period was, some time in 2001!!!!! I went on the injection back then for god awful painful periods every single month, and haven't looked back since.

Also what kinda questions are we allowed to ask in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

hdowney wrote: »
    Yea I couldn't tell you when my last period was, some time in 2001!!!!! I went on the injection back then for god awful painful periods every single month, and haven't looked back since.

Also what kinda questions are we allowed to ask in this thread?

Anything to do with women's health. Please be aware that no medical advice is allowed :)

Have a look at the first post, there are lots of links to helpful sites:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ilyana wrote: »
    Hi, I was on Cerazatte last year, and my skin wasn't great on it either. It was mostly spots though. I do tend to get dermatitis on my scalp though, similar to what you've described. It gets worse when I'm stressed, and Cerazette had me really stressed! It affected my mood terribly.

Of course every woman reacts differently to various pills, but my experience is pretty similar to yours. Tbh it put me right off the pill in general.

I had a nightmare on Cerazette too - 5 periods in the 9 weeks that I was on it (a disaster because I'm prone to low iron), stayed just as moody as I did on Ovranette, and my skin got oilier too (got my first spots in about 5 years on it). Much happier on Yasminelle now.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Anything to do with women's health. Please be aware that no medical advice is allowed :)

Have a look at the first post, there are lots of links to helpful sites:)

Unfortch I don't think any of them help me. I don't want medical advice, at least I don't think I do, I was just wondering if something happens to other people at all or anything yakno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Unfortch I don't think any of them help me. I don't want medical advice, at least I don't think I do, I was just wondering if something happens to other people at all or anything yakno.

You could PM any of the mods with your query and we can see if it's ok to post?

I'll consider so. I dunno whether it is a bit mortifying or the like yakno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I'll consider so. I dunno whether it is a bit mortifying or the like yakno!

You could go unrreg as a guest aswell!

That is what ive done a few times! :)

You could go unrreg as a guest aswell!

That is what ive done a few times! :)

Yiz'd all know it was me tho, cos yi'd be expecting it!!!

Rainbow Kirby I'm considering asking the doctor for Yasminelle, a couple of people have told me it doesn't wreak havoc on their hormones like Cerazette did. I'm on Dianette atm as a stop-gap, but I don't want to be on it long term.

Yiz'd all know it was me tho, cos yi'd be expecting it!!!

Yeah, we'd know, but an outsider might not, I say ask away.

Reet so - no laffing.

Orgasm = good thing one would have thought right? Not always the case.
    Using 'toys' no bothers
    (canni judge when not alone, no takers to help there :()
    But using no toys - um this is a problem. I 'splain, everything goes dandy as it should all the way through, no problems, climax as per the norms, and then DEAR GOD THE PAIN. Like I know there is a muscle in there, hence pelvic floors and the like, but why oh heavenly why does the muscle cramp out like a bíatch? Like for serious cramp, like them times when you get leg cramp and you wanna cry, but like not in your leg!!! And with leg cramp you walk around to walk it out, what the heckers are you supposed to do in this sitch.

As I say it seems to be confined to completely manual manipulation, although for the first time the other day it woke a body up from a dream (nice dream, til being woke up like it).

I don't think it is a doc issue as such, I mean I don't see how there is anything 'wrong' just seems to cramp with specific type of manipulation and a way round said problem needed. Also the only lady doc is a complete hell to the no type not gonna happen if I was dying of well... death!!!

So question, anybody been there and got any advice, anyone know anyone who been there and got advice etc etc yakno :) Cheers for reading peeps

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you tried using lube?

Also is it a particular position?

I can get a ferocious cramp that goes from my groin down into my leg if I'm not relaxed etc post orgasm, lube etc helps, lots of foreplay helps too

Also do you do pelvic floor exercises? they help me.

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you tried using lube?

Also is it a particular position?

I can get a ferocious cramp that goes from my groin down into my leg if I'm not relaxed etc post orgasm, lube etc helps, lots of foreplay helps too

Also do you do pelvic floor exercises? they help me.

Interesting. I would never have pegged lube as making a difference since it is a muscular thing (like up behind the pelvic bone). Shame that wouldn't have helped during my dream!!!!

As to pelvic floors I don't, I guess I really should, it'd hopefully strengthen the muscle and lessen the chances of it happening.

As to positions generally either lying on my back or slouched in a chair, although the dream I was lying on my stomach so!!!

thanks for the advice.

ps - as to the foreplay, when you are on your own? Never heard of that!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Interesting. I would never have pegged lube as making a difference since it is a muscular thing (like up behind the pelvic bone). Shame that wouldn't have helped during my dream!!!!

As to pelvic floors I don't, I guess I really should, it'd hopefully strengthen the muscle and lessen the chances of it happening.

As to positions generally either lying on my back or slouched in a chair, although the dream I was lying on my stomach so!!!

thanks for the advice.

Foreplay with a partner :)

I can cramp up where you are talking about in the most unpleasant way and it travels, lube is a great thing :)

Pelvic floor exercises help me simply to exercise the area and get it used to a bit of work if that makes any sense?

On your own, you might be being a bit rough, and not realising it?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Foreplay with a partner :)

I can cramp up where you are talking about in the most unpleasant way and it travels, lube is a great thing :)

Pelvic floor exercises help me simply to exercise the area and get it used to a bit of work if that makes any sense?

On your own, you might be being a bit rough, and not realising it?

Lube I will deffo try, and the pelvics. I possibly am rough, or possibly clench a lot - I know I can stop breathing!!!! And perhaps as you say if the muscle isn't used to the work so much it cramps out, similar to exercising a not often used muscle other times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Anyone else get migraines on their week off/first few days back on the pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Ciara 5

Just wondering if anyone has changed from the pill to the implant? Did you have to have a break for a cycle or did you go on the implant on your gap week?

Also how did it affect your period?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LittleDolly

thanks for the advice.

A build up of lactic acid causes muscle cramps. Lactic acid occurs when your cells don't get enough oxygen. You can use dietary supplements to lessen the chance of this happening. Or maybe try to focus on your breathing, and try to regulate it. [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]

Pelvic Floors can be practiced when you're having sex too, your partners bits and pieces are good to erm, use to squeeze against :D Don't worry it wont hurt him, he will probably love being 'used'! Failing this approach, an easy way to begin doing Pelvic Floor Exercise is to wait until you're having a wee and stop it, then let it start again, then stop. This makes it easy to identify which muscles you need to focus on.

Last but by no means least, Foreplay. It's so important to know your body, not only to know how to make yourself feel good but also so that you can notice if anything changes. The best orgasms can be achieved once you know how to push your own buttons ;) I'm single and there's no way I'm going looking for a boyfriend simply so I can have an orgasm. Nor will I just not have one because I'm not attached. No chance! Me, Myself and I will be more than fine.

Supplements
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]DMG helps decrease lactic acid buildup by enhancing the delivery of oxygen to cells.

Creatine increases energy and buffers lactic acid buildup.

Coenzyme Q10 improves heart function and circulation.

Multivitamin and Mineral Complex provides all nutrients necessary for healthy muscles.

Safflowers help eliminate lactic acid buildup and post-exercise soreness.
    [/FONT]

*http://www.herbalremedies.com/lactic-acid-information.html

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience with taking the MAP twice in the one cycle?

I took it Monday two weeks ago, as a precaution. All well and good, my period came the following Monday with no problems, when it was due anyway. I started back on Dianette (after a long pill break) as I had planned. Then last Thursday a condom broke, so I took the MAP on Friday as I didn't think I'd be fully protected after only 4 days on the pill. I told the pharmacist I hadn't taken it in the same cycle - it was stupid but I was worried he wouldn't give it to me. I was nauseous all day Friday and crampy over the weekend. Not bad cramps, but noticeable considering my period is finished. I'm still taking the pill.

Should I be worried? Is it too early to take a test to ease my worries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Ilyana wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience with taking the MAP twice in the one cycle?

I took it Monday two weeks ago, as a precaution. All well and good, my period came the following Monday with no problems, when it was due anyway. I started back on Dianette (after a long pill break) as I had planned. Then last Thursday a condom broke, so I took the MAP on Friday as I didn't think I'd be fully protected after only 4 days on the pill. I told the pharmacist I hadn't taken it in the same cycle - it was stupid but I was worried he wouldn't give it to me. I was nauseous all day Friday and crampy over the weekend. Not bad cramps, but noticeable considering my period is finished. I'm still taking the pill.

Should I be worried? Is it too early to take a test to ease my worries?
    I've had bad cramps after taking the MAP before, i think the cramping may be normal. Sorry I can't answer anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Since it's not recommended that you take the MAP twice in one cycle, I think your Doc is probably the person to ask how that could affect you/if it alters the MAP's effectiveness/when is best to take pregnancy test.

I suspect it also depends on how far apart the MAPs were taken and what MAP you took - so again, professional medical opinion the best one for really setting your mind at ease. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Ciara 5 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has changed from the pill to the implant? Did you have to have a break for a cycle or did you go on the implant on your gap week?

Also how did it affect your period?
    Thanks!

I went from the pill to implant. I got it put in on my gap week. I took my last pill on the Sunday, and got the implant put in the next Thursday.
    I haven't had it in long enough to see how it effects my periods.

I've had bad cramps after taking the MAP before, i think the cramping may be normal. Sorry I can't answer anymore.
    Since it's not recommended that you take the MAP twice in one cycle, I think your Doc is probably the person to ask how that could affect you/if it alters the MAP's effectiveness/when is best to take pregnancy test.

I suspect it also depends on how far apart the MAPs were taken and what MAP you took - so again, professional medical opinion the best one for really setting your mind at ease. :cool:

Thanks ladies, I'll see my GP if I'm still worried in a few days. It might just be normal cramping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Anyone else get migraines on their week off/first few days back on the pill?

If you're prone to migraines, you probably would be better off on a different method of contraception. I'm not trying to give medical advice, but I too am a migraine sufferer and as such, doctors recommend I avoid the combined pill.

When I was on it, my migraines were certainly more frequent, so it could be a factor.

Advertisement