Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Anyone else get migraines on their week off/first few days back on the pill?

If you're prone to migraines, you probably would be better off on a different method of contraception. I'm not trying to give medical advice, but I too am a migraine sufferer and as such, doctors recommend I avoid the combined pill.

When I was on it, my migraines were certainly more frequent, so it could be a factor.
    Would have been prone to them before going on the pill alright. Just notice that the gap week and the first few days of the new strip, I get migraines. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

A build up of lactic acid causes muscle cramps. Lactic acid occurs when your cells don't get enough oxygen. You can use dietary supplements to lessen the chance of this happening. Or maybe try to focus on your breathing, and try to regulate it. [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]

Pelvic Floors can be practiced when you're having sex too, your partners bits and pieces are good to erm, use to squeeze against :D Don't worry it wont hurt him, he will probably love being 'used'! Failing this approach, an easy way to begin doing Pelvic Floor Exercise is to wait until you're having a wee and stop it, then let it start again, then stop. This makes it easy to identify which muscles you need to focus on.

Last but by no means least, Foreplay. It's so important to know your body, not only to know how to make yourself feel good but also so that you can notice if anything changes. The best orgasms can be achieved once you know how to push your own buttons ;) I'm single and there's no way I'm going looking for a boyfriend simply so I can have an orgasm. Nor will I just not have one because I'm not attached. No chance! Me, Myself and I will be more than fine.

Supplements
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]DMG helps decrease lactic acid buildup by enhancing the delivery of oxygen to cells.

Creatine increases energy and buffers lactic acid buildup.

Coenzyme Q10 improves heart function and circulation.

Multivitamin and Mineral Complex provides all nutrients necessary for healthy muscles.

Safflowers help eliminate lactic acid buildup and post-exercise soreness.
    [/FONT]

*http://www.herbalremedies.com/lactic-acid-information.html

Cheers for all the advice. Yep flying single myself at the mo, so i'll be the bathroom pelvics for me :o

Interesting information about the lactic acid etc.

I also wonder is weight an issue. I have put on weight and perhaps that is having a negative affect on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi everyone,

I'm a little embarrassed by my question but its really bothering me so I just need to get it off my chest and ask it.

Basically my first smear test came back as "mild abnormalities" so I'm due back in 6 months. Now I know I'm not supposed to be worrying and I know this is very common and obviously the most important thing here is that I keep on top of it so whatever needs to happen will happen etc.

But I can't help but worry a little at the same time.... and part of me wonders if theres anything I could have done to cause this?

Now firstly I know this is something you don't actually "cause" yourself. But in my case I'm worried a few things may have made this worse and if this is the case I just want to know now so I can change my habits... or if anyone has any specific tips like diets etc. that might be related?

Anyway, I was wondering if "rough" sex/foreplay could have caused/exacerbated this.... (sorry for the phrasing I'm just not sure how else to get my point across lol). Likewise I'm worried about the fact that I am indeed overweight and up until now I've never really had any health scares etc. so now I'm wondering if this could be a factor too.

Sorry if this sounds silly, I guess I'm just wondering really, in terms of the cervical cells could I have harmed myself by taking part in rough sex/foreplay. I also use shower gels to wash down there and I use the shower head to actually wash myself "out" (gosh I'm so sorry for the phrasing here.... I'm cringing as I type this.... you can guess why I went unreg with this lol)

I guess I'm just really worried that these things may be harming me and its not really something that comes up in conversation regularly so I don't feel like I can really ask anyone out right about this.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has taken the time to read this ramble !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi everyone,

I'm a little embarrassed by my question but its really bothering me so I just need to get it off my chest and ask it.

Basically my first smear test came back as "mild abnormalities" so I'm due back in 6 months. Now I know I'm not supposed to be worrying and I know this is very common and obviously the most important thing here is that I keep on top of it so whatever needs to happen will happen etc.

But I can't help but worry a little at the same time.... and part of me wonders if theres anything I could have done to cause this?

Now firstly I know this is something you don't actually "cause" yourself. But in my case I'm worried a few things may have made this worse and if this is the case I just want to know now so I can change my habits... or if anyone has any specific tips like diets etc. that might be related?

Anyway, I was wondering if "rough" sex/foreplay could have caused/exacerbated this.... (sorry for the phrasing I'm just not sure how else to get my point across lol). Likewise I'm worried about the fact that I am indeed overweight and up until now I've never really had any health scares etc. so now I'm wondering if this could be a factor too.

Sorry if this sounds silly, I guess I'm just wondering really, in terms of the cervical cells could I have harmed myself by taking part in rough sex/foreplay. I also use shower gels to wash down there and I use the shower head to actually wash myself "out" (gosh I'm so sorry for the phrasing here.... I'm cringing as I type this.... you can guess why I went unreg with this lol)

I guess I'm just really worried that these things may be harming me and its not really something that comes up in conversation regularly so I don't feel like I can really ask anyone out right about this.

I don't think anything you have outlined there could have lead to cell abnormalities to be honest?

Stop worrying and blaming yourself, and good luck for your next test :0

Does aqueous cream interfere with condoms in the same way baby oil would?

I use the cream and had sex last night and realised there was some of the cream on the condom, didn't notice anything wrong with the condom but worried now and wondering if I should get the MAP now.

• Advertisement

Anononhelp wrote: »
    Does aqueous cream interfere with condoms in the same way baby oil would?

I use the cream and had sex last night and realised there was some of the cream on the condom, didn't notice anything wrong with the condom but worried now and wondering if I should get the MAP now.

Just done a bit of googling and it seems the cream you're talking about is parafin based so probably not good for condoms; however if you examined the condom and it hadn't broken then you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just done a bit of googling and it seems the cream you're talking about is parafin based so probably not good for condoms; however if you examined the condom and it hadn't broken then you should be ok.

It *can* cause microscopic holes that sperm *could* pass through, though. It's a very small risk (hence all the asterisks), but a risk all the same.

If you're genuinely concerned, Anononhelp, I'd get the MAP. It's €12 in Unicare pharmacies, which is a very small price to pay for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Hi everyone,

Abnormalities in the cells are usually caused by the Human Papillomavirus (HPV). Anyone who is sexually active is at risk of contracting this virus (even with condoms) and it is thought that a high percentage of the population have it. It’s very common in women under the age of 30. School girls in England are being vaccinated against it to prevent cervical cancer. Not sure if Ireland has taken this approach yet.

Nothing you are doing is causing the cell changes - it's all down to HPV. Your nurse should have explained all this to you. You can find more info http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/pap/default.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Anyone else get migraines on their week off/first few days back on the pill?

Yeah I used to get terrible headaches once I'd stop for a break in the pill. Mine are usually sinus type headaches and can feel like a massive hangover. I'm on Yasmin for about 10 years now and it's grand otherwise. I quit smoking a few months ago and haven't had the headaches the last few months so I'm hoping that's the last of them.

My friend was the same and she went off the pill because of it. Two months later she became pregnant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Looking into a new birth control! I'm dreadful at taking my pill correctly so always use condoms, buy as i am in a relationship and we are sure STIs are not an issue we want to look into other options. Going to the doctor week after next to discuss it but wanted to hear some experiences. I've search the thread here, read about mirena, implanon is not available in Canada and my nurse today recommended Nuva Ring.

Anyone here used Nuva Ring? How did you find it, easy to use? Side affects are probably dependant in the individual, just want experience on how it was to use and stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Werid, cos this is the Canada site for it http://www.mirena.ca/
    Could it be that the dr just doesn't do them?
    Cos they take training and if they don't have it they can't offer it.
    The patch might be an option for you also.

You can get mirena here, but not implanon sorry. I can't grammar on my phone :p

I go to a clinic with lots of doctors so I don't think getting the procedure would be an issue, just wondering about the Nuva ring as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

I've search the thread here, read about mirena, implanon is not available in Canada and my nurse today recommended Nuva Ring.

Anyone here used Nuva Ring? How did you find it, easy to use? Side affects are probably dependant in the individual, just want experience on how it was to use and stuff :)

I have used everything from condoms to combined pill (9 years) to Nuva Ring and most recently the copper coil. I found the coil the best (increased sex drive!) so far but unfortunately it turns out I have a retroverted uterus which caused extreme discomfort at certain times of my cycle so I had to have it removed. I am now back on the pill.

But to answer your question I found the Nuva Ring quite good. I have never had an issue with forgetting to take my pill but if you're the forgetful type then the Nuva Ring is definitely a great option. It works almost the same as the pill except it does not have to be consumed orally like the pill therefore it is a low more direct dose of hormones. That was what attracted me to it initially. I was interested in finding a contraceptive option that wasn't so invasive hormonally. So, you start it on the first day of your period (i.e. insert it into your vagina) and leave it in place for 21 days, then remove it and take a seven day nuva ring free period. So the same routine as the pill except you don't have to remember to take a daily dose. I personally wasn't aware of it at all and found it very comfortable and easy to use. The only reason I stopped was because at 28 and almost a decade on hormonal contraception I wanted a break and wanted to seek out a non-hormonal alternative. I REALLY loved being off hormones and am already feeling the effects of being back on them but unfortunately for me the coil wasn't suitable and so I find myself back on the old reliable pill.

That's just my tuppence worth.. hope it helps.

Take Care. x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I love the Nuva ring, most amazing pill ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I'm just wondering if anyone has suffered from non headache migraines, a bit like an epileptic fit, whilst on yasminelle?

And for those who have suffered from any form of migraine whilst on the pill, was it always on your weeks break?

Ive been gradually getting more 'ocular migraines' - like flashing chess board in one eye that intensifies and then disappears over around 20-30 minutes.

Im 38, and Ive also noticed in my pill (Mercilon) break week, that I am bawling crying a lot and I get a lot of non migraine headaches. I spoke to my GP about it last visit and she said to keep an eye on the ocular migraines but otherwise ok for now, but to look into alternatives like the Mirena coil.

I looked into it, but what has kept putting me off is the fact that if it doesnt agree with you, that a huge outlay of money!!! I cant afford to risk a consultation fee + coil itself + insertion fee in case it doesnt agree!!

So today I was at the GP for something else, and my usual GP was on holidays so I saw a new GP. She didnt want to prescribe Mercilon. She was shocked that the normal GP was still prescribing it when Id told her about the ocular migraines. My blood pressure was slightly high. But when I also said about crying all the time in the break week and non migraine headaches she said to get off the Mercilon immediately.

So I explained the cost issue of the coil (plus the feeling slightly queasy about something inserted in me) and she prescribed Cerazette.

Im a little nervous now as I have been on the same pill for 20 years without change, so Im worried about making the change, but I am relieved to be getting off the combined pill, I have been worrying about that especially with the flashing chessboard events (which have happened maybe 4 or 5 times this year compared to once a year or so in the past).

Has anyone else made the change from Mercilon to Cerazette and if so, how was it?

I've had the implant in for 2.5 years. My periods were always all over the place on it. I'd never know when they were coming or for how long. Could be 3 weeks or 5 weeks between them.

I finally gave in and went back to my GP about it and she gave me a 3 month prescription for Cerazette. I've taken it for two months but stopped last week after the second packet, it didn't work at all and in the last month I have been about a week in total period free.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP and I'm going to tell her to take it out, enough is enough.

I've no idea what pill or method to go for next.

I'm wondering what peoples experiences have been post implannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lauretteg

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure I have a hormone imbalance. I get all the usual symptoms: low/high blood pressure, mood swings, migraines, anxiety, painful periods....

I really just want to find out what the story is as I know if left alone, hormone imbalances can cause infertility and diabetes.

I want to go to my GP but I'm only 16. Do I need to get a parent involved? My circumstances are a little complicated so I'd rather not.

Also how much would such a blood test cost?

Many thanks x

I've had the implant in for 2.5 years. My periods were always all over the place on it. I'd never know when they were coming or for how long. Could be 3 weeks or 5 weeks between them.

I finally gave in and went back to my GP about it and she gave me a 3 month prescription for Cerazette. I've taken it for two months but stopped last week after the second packet, it didn't work at all and in the last month I have been about a week in total period free.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP and I'm going to tell her to take it out, enough is enough.

I've no idea what pill or method to go for next.

I'm wondering what peoples experiences have been post implannon?

They had you on Cerazette WITH the Implanon? :confused: Huh. That sounds an awful experience though. I am/was/am considering Implanon, I am on Depo at the moment, and whilst it is grand, no periods or associated pain and only once every three month injections I did find for a while there I was getting periody like symptoms. that seems to have passed though so I am considering sticking where I am. I don't know if I'd get the same benefits (no periods or pain) on Implanon. I know you CAN, but not everyone does.

Sorry I can't help though, hope you get it sorted soon
    lauretteg wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm pretty sure I have a hormone imbalance. I get all the usual symptoms: low/high blood pressure, mood swings, migraines, anxiety, painful periods....

I really just want to find out what the story is as I know if left alone, hormone imbalances can cause infertility and diabetes.

I want to go to my GP but I'm only 16. Do I need to get a parent involved? My circumstances are a little complicated so I'd rather not.

Many thanks x

I 'think' but I may be wrong, that at sixteen you can go to your GP without a parent. If you think your GP might not be happy to see you sans adult do you have another over 18 year old you could ask to go with you in a 'guardian' capacity as such?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lauretteg wrote: »

Many thanks x

You can go to your GP on your own, blood tests are free, you just pay the consultation fee, I was on the pill when I was 15 due to anaemia and blood pressure issues.
    hdowney wrote: »
    They had you on Cerazette WITH the Implanon? :confused: Huh. That sounds an awful experience though. I am/was/am considering Implanon, I am on Depo at the moment, and whilst it is grand, no periods or associated pain and only once every three month injections I did find for a while there I was getting periody like symptoms. that seems to have passed though so I am considering sticking where I am. I don't know if I'd get the same benefits (no periods or pain) on Implanon. I know you CAN, but not everyone does.

Sorry I can't help though, hope you get it sorted soon

I 'think' but I may be wrong, that at sixteen you can go to your GP without a parent. If you think your GP might not be happy to see you sans adult do you have another over 18 year old you could ask to go with you in a 'guardian' capacity as such?

I have been on depo for literally years, and I tend to get periody symptoms when it is coming up to needing a new injection.

One thing with Depo, if you are on it more than three years, you should get a Dexa scan, Depo can cause bone thinning.

Stheno wrote: »
    You can go to your GP on your own, blood tests are free, you just pay the consultation fee, I was on the pill when I was 15 due to anaemia and blood pressure issues.

I have been on depo for literally years, and I tend to get periody symptoms when it is coming up to needing a new injection.

One thing with Depo, if you are on it more than three years, you should get a Dexa scan, Depo can cause bone thinning.

Ah that might expain the periody symptoms. :) I have been on it for 12 years. I get blood tests and blood pressure tests but the doc has never said to have a dexa scan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Pembily wrote: »
    I love the Nuva ring, most amazing pill ever :)

I've been considering that. It's just I needed about 3 pills until I found one to "suit" me. I've been on logynon for 3 years and it's grand. The Nuvaring just seems so convenient though! I'm afraid it will mess with my moods though. Hmm.. Has it ever like...fallen out? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I've been considering that. It's just I needed about 3 pills until I found one to "suit" me. I've been on logynon for 3 years and it's grand. The Nuvaring just seems so convenient though! I'm afraid it will mess with my moods though. Hmm.. Has it ever like...fallen out? :P

I was on logynon for years and I loved it apart from mood swings. But then I changed doctors and she took me off it, said it was an old-fashioned pill that wasn't really prescribed any more, that the newer ones were better at mimicking natural hormones. Since then I've been on pill after pill and absolutely nothing has been right for me :mad:

hdowney wrote: »
    Ah that might expain the periody symptoms. :) I have been on it for 12 years. I get blood tests and blood pressure tests but the doc has never said to have a dexa scan

12 years of depo, you definitely need a dexa scan, it can cause bone thinning.

Where are you based?

When I went first to my current gynae (she does saturday and evening clinics) it was the first thing she scheduled.

GOt it done in Naas, took 10 mins and all clear.

Another one next year, but to be honest, I'd prefer to have a doctor who keeps a constant eye.

Based in Wicklow. Went on it at my old docs, never mentioned. Been with my new docs a couple years now, never mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Lia_lia wrote: »

Of all the ones I've been on I found that messed with my mood the least.

It came out once or twice (in 10 years) due to extra vigorous activity :o

Hi all :)

I know something similar has probably been posted but i'm a bit concerned I may have thrush or something similar. It's becoming a serious issue but I am too embarrassed to go to my local GP about it as I know her! I'm 19 also so don't have that kinda money to spend on a GP without informing my parents (which i'd rather not). Is there a clinic or something which tests for thrush that wouldn't be too expensive? I am in Dublin area.

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hi all :)

I know something similar has probably been posted but i'm a bit concerned I may have thrush or something similar. It's becoming a serious issue but I am too embarrassed to go to my local GP about it as I know her! I'm 19 also so don't have that kinda money to spend on a GP without informing my parents (which i'd rather not). Is there a clinic or something which tests for thrush that wouldn't be too expensive? I am in Dublin area.

Thanks !

Hi,

Firstly there's no need to be embarrassed, thrush is incredibly common. It happens all ages of people for all sorts of reasons so its nothing to be ashamed of. There are some thrush treatments available without a prescription so why don't you pop in and ask for some advice/product recommendations from a pharmacist - they really do see it all the time so won't be one bit phased and it'll be cheaper than going to the doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lemur4590

Hi all,

I have recently started taking the contraceptive pill (Leonore) after having a few scares in the past. As it is my first time starting taking any pill I am a bit worried about the side effects (mood swings etc.) of this particular pill?? I know you can't give medical advice but it would be really helpful to hear someone else's experiences :(

lemur4590 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have recently started taking the contraceptive pill (Leonore) after having a few scares in the past. As it is my first time starting taking any pill I am a bit worried about the side effects (mood swings etc.) of this particular pill?? I know you can't give medical advice but it would be really helpful to hear someone else's experiences :(

I can't speak for that particular pill, but just remember if you hear someone else's experiences they won't necessarily be yours. Every person reacts differently to a pill. I've read people on this thread saying they have terrible experiences of my pill, the same one I have been on forever because I never had any trouble.

I'm no chemist so can be corrected, but I assume if a pill was giving bad side affects to the majority of users it wouldn't be on the market? So try not to worry and give it a go and see what happens. Easy to change if it doesn't work out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Lying in bed crying and eating Pringles. FML. Bloody Microlite is making me crazy. Constant Bad moods, Extreme Period pains and weight gain.. :(

Advertisement