Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lemur4590

I can't speak for that particular pill, but just remember if you hear someone else's experiences they won't necessarily be yours. Every person reacts differently to a pill. I've read people on this thread saying they have terrible experiences of my pill, the same one I have been on forever because I never had any trouble.

I'm no chemist so can be corrected, but I assume if a pill was giving bad side affects to the majority of users it wouldn't be on the market? So try not to worry and give it a go and see what happens. Easy to change if it doesn't work out :)

thanks, I know a few people who have had very bad experiences with other pills, who have been warning me off them. hopefully this one works :)
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

lemur4590 wrote: »
    thanks, I know a few people who have had very bad experiences with other pills, who have been warning me off them. hopefully this one works :)
    thanks again

Sometimes things settle down after a few weeks or a couple of months though so I would never write a pill off after just a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

Firstly there's no need to be embarrassed, thrush is incredibly common. It happens all ages of people for all sorts of reasons so its nothing to be ashamed of. There are some thrush treatments available without a prescription so why don't you pop in and ask for some advice/product recommendations from a pharmacist - they really do see it all the time so won't be one bit phased and it'll be cheaper than going to the doctor

Thanks for your reply :) I have tried Canesten combi pessary and cream about two weeks ago but it hasn't cured my symptoms at all! The cream does help with the itching for a while though! Is the oral pill more effective do you know? I may try that..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Thanks for your reply :) I have tried Canesten combi pessary and cream about two weeks ago but it hasn't cured my symptoms at all! The cream does help with the itching for a while though! Is the oral pill more effective do you know? I may try that..

If you're self diagnosing the problem, it's best to go to your doctor. It might not be thrush at all. I know you said you didn't want to but it's worth it for the peace of mind alone.

Definitely go to your doctor about it. Its nothing to be embarrassed about, it happens to pretty much everyone, its just thrush. And if you have tried to self treat and failed then its time to get a doctors opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

does any one know of a pill that works with anti convulsion medication? My cycle is all over the place and I don't want to go down the road of an Implant or injection. At the moment I am on no contraception and I an getting my period every 2 weeks :(

lil'bug wrote: »
    does any one know of a pill that works with anti convulsion medication? My cycle is all over the place and I don't want to go down the road of an Implant or injection. At the moment I am on no contraception and I an getting my period every 2 weeks :(

Sorry lil'bug that is definitely something only a medical professional can tell you. Best to talk to your GP first.

Sorry lil'bug that is definitely something only a medical professional can tell you. Best to talk to your GP first.

Thank you, I was just hoping some of the lovely ladies here had the same problem, having epilepsy sucks!!

Thank you, I was just hoping some of the lovely ladies here had the same problem, having epilepsy sucks!!

I can't even comprehend what it must be like :(

If there is anyone in a similar position they are welcome to say what medication they're currently on and then you could discuss the options with your GP :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Isn't it just wonderful?!...

I'm on ovranette atm which I've been told is safer than other pills with anti-convulsive medication but because I'm on a clinical trial atm I still have to use condoms anyway so I'm not that much help I guess. If you hear of something will you let me know?

• Advertisement

I'm on ovranette atm which I've been told is safer than other pills with anti-convulsive medication but because I'm on a clinical trial atm I still have to use condoms anyway so I'm not that much help I guess. If you hear of something will you let me know?

I was on Depo for about a year, it worked well with my medication (tegretol) I just had to get the injection 2 weeks earlier.
    I will probably be going to my gp next month and If I find out more info I'll let you know :)

I was on Depo for about a year, it worked well with my medication (tegretol) I just had to get the injection 2 weeks earlier.
    I will probably be going to my gp next month and If I find out more info I'll let you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cremedumomf

Ladies I'm sure this has come up before, been reading the forums but couldn't find any recent info. Need to go see someone asap so karma points for your answers!

Is there a clinic/gynecologist that you'd recommend? I'm not fussed whether its a man or a woman...just moved to Dublin and I need smear test - I hear they are free, but do I still need a GP referal? or can I ust walk in Suffolk St centre for example and ask for one?...and probably an infection screening - no STD as I've just checked that out but I have a bleeding that I need to account for..
    Also, what are the approx costs for this? Do they vary a lot? I hear the Coombe is very good but think it might be hard to get an appointment this week.
    Thanks so much i am so worried:(((

Hi cremedumomf
    This is the thread for all things related to women's health. I've moved your post here.

oops,thank you didn't realize that

No problem at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Ladies I'm sure this has come up before, been reading the forums but couldn't find any recent info. Need to go see someone asap so karma points for your answers!

Is there a clinic/gynecologist that you'd recommend? I'm not fussed whether its a man or a woman...just moved to Dublin and I need smear test - I hear they are free, but do I still need a GP referal? or can I ust walk in Suffolk St centre for example and ask for one?...and probably an infection screening - no STD as I've just checked that out but I have a bleeding that I need to account for..
    Also, what are the approx costs for this? Do they vary a lot? I hear the Coombe is very good but think it might be hard to get an appointment this week.
    Thanks so much i am so worried:(((

You dont need a gynae for a smear. You can just get a doctor to do one for you. I highly recommend the suffolk st centre, its where i get all my smears and other doctor stuff done. You should ring them, I wouldnt recommend just walking into them though as they are very busy. If you mention how concerned you are you might be able to get an appointment quickly.

If you are due to get a smear under the cervical screning programme www.cervicalcheck.ie it would be free but any blood tests wouldnt be id say.

Not sure how much it"ll cost itll depend, But please do ring the receptionist and ask. Hope you are ok pet xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

P.s i think you can only access the coombe through a doctors referral but i am open to correction :)

tigger99, i will call them first thing monday morning got to say i m starting to love the boards.ie more and more, it's great help when u got no one to turn to. thank u x

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldnt find any answers. SO, I've recently finished up in college so now need a new place to get my pill prescription, am quite unwilling to pay a Dr €60+ for him to check my blood pressure and then send me on my way! Is there somewhere that they do repeat prescriptions quite readily? Or would the family planning clinic be best? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jendafer1 wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldnt find any answers. SO, I've recently finished up in college so now need a new place to get my pill prescription, am quite unwilling to pay a Dr €60+ for him to check my blood pressure and then send me on my way! Is there somewhere that they do repeat prescriptions quite readily? Or would the family planning clinic be best? Thanks :)

Eh, you are going to have to see a doctor, and have a checkup for your blood pressure etc regardless of where you go.

No-one will give you a repeat prescription without knowing your history and doing checks on the likes of your blood pressure I'm afraid.

If its a combined pill they have to check your blood pressure as that is an early symptom of the side effects that these types of pill can cause. So they will only prescribe for 6 months at a time then check you again. If you go for a mini pill or progesterone only pill then they dont have to check your blood pressure and can give you a years prescription.

I hear you though, but find a cheaper doctor - I use Primacare now and its only 30 euro for a visit for a pill prescription (of any kind!).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

If its a combined pill they have to check your blood pressure as that is an early symptom of the side effects that these types of pill can cause. So they will only prescribe for 6 months at a time then check you again. If you go for a mini pill or progesterone only pill then they dont have to check your blood pressure and can give you a years prescription.

I hear you though, but find a cheaper doctor - I use Primacare now and its only 20 euro for a visit for a pill prescription (of any kind!).

Oh wow thats much more preferable! Thanks :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oh wow thats much more preferable! Thanks :)

Also if you check different gps they have different charges for different types of visits.

Mine charges 50 for the first visit, but follow ups and repeats are less.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Stheno wrote: »
    Also if you check different gps they have different charges for different types of visits.

Mine charges 50 for the first visit, but follow ups and repeats are less.

Mine is similar - €60 for the first visit but to get the repeat prescription in 6 months time will be €10. Dublin 2.

My old doc used to charge 60 euro per visit, no matter what - repeat prescription, follow up, letter for something, stamp a form etc....

So I changed (there were other issues). But I had problems getting a new doctor - they dont like people changing doctors because the person doesnt like how the old doc does business, in the end I had to lie and say Id just moved to the area.

I hear you though, but find a cheaper doctor - I use Primacare now and its only 30 euro for a visit for a pill prescription (of any kind!).

Thanks for this! I'm almost out and wasn't sure where I was gonna find the 55 quid to see my doc for a new prescription.

Thanks for this! I'm almost out and wasn't sure where I was gonna find the 55 quid to see my doc for a new prescription.

Most nice pharmacists will provide 1 month for you on the caveat you get a prescrip in within the following 2/3 weeks - generally if they know you they are nice about it.

Most nice pharmacists will provide 1 month for you on the caveat you get a prescrip in within the following 2/3 weeks - generally if they know you they are nice about it.

My parents both work in pharmacies (they're pharmacists, but sold their own business) and they get me my other prescriptions, but I'd feel a bit odd about asking my dad to get me my pill!!

• Advertisement

My parents both work in pharmacies (they're pharmacists, but sold their own business) and they get me my other prescriptions, but I'd feel a bit odd about asking my dad to get me my pill!!

lol - reminds me of a pal who loaned her mum a handbag and when her mum gave it back she said 'thanks for the bag, I didnt need the condoms in it, but you were good to think of me' ;)

Advertisement