Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My parents both work in pharmacies (they're pharmacists, but sold their own business) and they get me my other prescriptions, but I'd feel a bit odd about asking my dad to get me my pill!!

I dunno, I think if you're old enough to be sexually active then you shouldn't be embarrassed about asking one of your folks to grab your pill for you. I've had my dad pick it up for me loads of times.

Regarding the doc thing, my doc generally only makes me physically come in to renew my (combined) Pill scrip every fourth time or so, I'm happy to say. Having said that, he's been my GP since I was 4 and he knows my health inside out. I can see why a new doctor would want a consultation the first good few times, alright. It is a pain in the face, though, when you don't smoke, have no history of high-blood pressure and are otherwise as strong as an ox...

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I dunno, I think if you're old enough to be sexually active then you shouldn't be embarrassed about asking one of your folks to grab your pill for you. I've had my dad pick it up for me loads of times.

Regarding the doc thing, my doc generally only makes me physically come in to renew my (combined) Pill scrip every fourth time or so, I'm happy to say. Having said that, he's been my GP since I was 4 and he knows my health inside out. I can see why a new doctor would want a consultation the first good few times, alright. It is a pain in the face, though, when you don't smoke, have no history of high-blood pressure and are otherwise as strong as an ox...

Yeah, I am thinking of asking my mam to get it for me, she's very open about this stuff, but my dad sees me as his little girl and always will!

My GP was more hesitant about prescribing the pill to me because I have borderline personality disorder and can go mental at the drop of a hat. But besides a bit of an increase in PMS (which I never really had anyway) it's been great.

I'm the youngest of five and my dad's princess, but he doesn't have an issue with it. He has three daughters and he knows that we like to control our cycles, if nothing else. I'd be very surprised if your dad automatically thought "She's on the pill, she must be actively having sex right now!" Particularly seeing as he's a pharmacist. I've been single for a year now but have stayed on the Pill for the control it gives me, not for contraceptive reasons.

He'll be fine, believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Is it possible to begin having side effects to a pill when you've been on it over two years already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm planning my wedding (for next March) and I'd really prefer not to have my period that week. My cycles are really irregular, so I can't really predict whether I'll be clear that week or not. I'm a lesbian so I've never been on any form of contraception before and I'd prefer not to have to go on something long term. I just want to be clear the week of the wedding! Is there anything I can get prescribed that'll either delay my period or will induce it that I could take say a fortnight beforehand? I'll obviously go and talk to my gp about it, I just don't want to spend €50 on a visit if such a thing doesn't exist :)

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    I'm planning my wedding (for next March) and I'd really prefer not to have my period that week. My cycles are really irregular, so I can't really predict whether I'll be clear that week or not. I'm a lesbian so I've never been on any form of contraception before and I'd prefer not to have to go on something long term. I just want to be clear the week of the wedding! Is there anything I can get prescribed that'll either delay my period or will induce it that I could take say a fortnight beforehand? I'll obviously go and talk to my gp about it, I just don't want to spend €50 on a visit if such a thing doesn't exist :)

No, you'd have to go on the Pill. The prescription would be for 6 months and you could just go back off it once the wedding is out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

There is something actually! You can get a progesterone based hormone prescribed, you'd normally take it 2/3 days before your cycle starts and continue for however long you want to delay it, if you're irregular often the gp will recommend starting a few days before the week you want to avoid having it instead. Speak to them about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Cool, I will! I'll leave it till after Christmas and pop in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

pampootie wrote: »
    There is something actually! You can get a progesterone based hormone prescribed, you'd normally take it 2/3 days before your cycle starts and continue for however long you want to delay it, if you're irregular often the gp will recommend starting a few days before the week you want to avoid having it instead. Speak to them about it

Yup I have the same problem and used to take these when I was younger before going on holiday. Never had any problem!

I went on the pill when I got older then.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Is it possible to begin having side effects to a pill when you've been on it over two years already?

I was on it over a year when it started to make me really moody and I'd had no real problem up until then apart from a little breakthrough bleeding during the first couple of cycles. Honestly, I was snapping at everyone and I was paranoid and weepy and generally just sort of down in the dumps. Speak to your GP. I changed mine and now I'm fine.

PM open if you need a chat btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Ok so maybe you lovely people can help me. I have been on depo for 12 years now. Went on it cos I got the most god awful period pains every damn month. So the depo got rid of them :) and bonus got rid of my period too :D I had nothing, no pain or bleeding. Until a few years ago that is. Then every so often (like it coulda been every three months, co-inciding with the end of the injection as someone said, I don't really know) I would get a day or two of light bleeding, and pain (similar to what I imagine regular period pain to be like. I can't say I am particularly thrilled with this. It also makes me question the injection. Is my body too used to it, like your body can get with painkillers?! I am also a v large person due to various things such as illness, so I have no idea how much of my weight is down to the injection (weight-gain being a side effect). Be interesting to know though.

So to my question. I am looking for other people's experiences and opinions. Did anyone else experience the same on the injection, if so what did/are you doing about it. What are other types of contraception like (lovelife is crap so mainly on it for the no pain thing!!!). I'd rather not switch to one that brings my periods and the like back if at all possible, I quite enjoy being able to live my life without the added ickfactor every month!! And no pain is a must. I couldn't handle the pain and I am in enough of it with the illnesses I have.

Obviously in the longer term I will be going to speak to my gp about it, but I just wanted to get other women's opinions first. My gp is a man and can be a bit of a prat, not answering the question properly etc. And no I can't go to a woman doctor, I don't like her at all!!!!

Cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hdowney wrote: »
    Ok so maybe you lovely people can help me. I have been on depo for 12 years now. Went on it cos I got the most god awful period pains every damn month. So the depo got rid of them :) and bonus got rid of my period too :D I had nothing, no pain or bleeding. Until a few years ago that is. Then every so often (like it coulda been every three months, co-inciding with the end of the injection as someone said, I don't really know) I would get a day or two of light bleeding, and pain (similar to what I imagine regular period pain to be like. I can't say I am particularly thrilled with this. It also makes me question the injection. Is my body too used to it, like your body can get with painkillers?! I am also a v large person due to various things such as illness, so I have no idea how much of my weight is down to the injection (weight-gain being a side effect). Be interesting to know though.

So to my question. I am looking for other people's experiences and opinions. Did anyone else experience the same on the injection, if so what did/are you doing about it. What are other types of contraception like (lovelife is crap so mainly on it for the no pain thing!!!). I'd rather not switch to one that brings my periods and the like back if at all possible, I quite enjoy being able to live my life without the added ickfactor every month!! And no pain is a must. I couldn't handle the pain and I am in enough of it with the illnesses I have.

Obviously in the longer term I will be going to speak to my gp about it, but I just wanted to get other women's opinions first. My gp is a man and can be a bit of a prat, not answering the question properly etc. And no I can't go to a woman doctor, I don't like her at all!!!!

Cheers

I occasionally get period type pains/cramps/bleeding near when the injection is due, but nothing more.

Been on it about ten years?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was on a pill for about 5 years and it just stopped suiting me. So yep, it's possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi just wondering if any girls have the same problem as me or am I just a bit odd!
    I cannot use tampons, no matter how many times I try to insert them/higher/at an angle etc I can ALWAYS feel them inside me. I can't feel them when I first put one in but as soon as i walk my muscles seem to clench against them and it's really uncomfortable! I've been told I'm a quite tight in that area so maybe it's that?.. but I'm far from a virgin and I've have never had any issues with sex or anything, it's driving me mad as my periods are pretty heavy and I hate having to use pads :(
    Am I really just putting them in wrong or something?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Sounds like you are not putting them in far enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Either not putting them in far enough or using a way too large size.

I couldnt use them for years and it was the same issue, like a clenching against them - I wasnt putting them in far enough.

Yep, not in far enough and at the wrong angle, I'd say. You need to kind of aim for the small of your back with them. Also, try the lightest absorbency and give non-applicator a go if you've only ever used applicator tampons, imo it's a HELL of a lot easier to guide a tampon in properly using your fingers rather than a rigid cardboard (or plastic) tube.

ouchyface wrote: »
    Am I really just putting them in wrong or something?!

I'd have to disagree with other posters, I used to feel like that with tampons, and I didn't use them for years. I used to get very condescending comments any time it came up with friends, that I just wasn't putting them in right.

I also happened to have pretty painful, heavy periods. The doctor couldn't figure out exactly what was causing them to be so bad (worse than just a regular painful period) but she said I should try going on the pill before forking out money for more tests. I went on the pill and hey presto all of a sudden my periods were fine and coincidentally tampons weren't uncomfortable any more. So either I had a miraculous change from idiot to genius overnight, or I had a genuine reason for not being able to use tampons in the first place, because I certainly wasn't doing anything different except for being on the pill.

Make sure you try using one with an applicator, and get it in far enough, but otherwise it is possible that you're not doing anything wrong, and that they're just not comfortable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I can't use the contraceptive pill as I have Crohn's diseas and there's a risk of it not fully absorbing. Looking at other options the one I like the most is the implant. Thing is though I know someone who had it and suffered depression and severe mood swings as a result. Also she didn't have her period on it and when she had it removed her first period lasted for four months.

Looking into it there are some women who suffer from depression as a result but I can't find any thing on how common it is for this to happen. Anyone have any idea if it's quite common or not? Also, I know no-one can predict if I'll have periods or not but I've read they can be irregular with the implant. Mine are already quite irregular so does this mean it could make them worse? I find them annoying as is without having to worry about them being even worse.

Also how much does it cost?

Any other info and experiences, good or bad are welcome. Thanks for your help in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

I have had Implanon for 5 years and I am happy with it. It is so easy - you never forget to take it, etc, and it is one of the safest contraceptives. I really haven't worried about pregnancy for a long time. For me, the pro's far out weigh the cons.

I think the first 6 months are a bit all over the place, you may be emotional, a bit weepy, and periods are sporadic. But after 6 months (to the day!!) everything settles! With my first Implanon, I don't remember having any period after the first 6 months. Then I changed to the second one in 2010 and it took a little time to settle completely. Then I was having small periods every now and then. Then last year I had no period for the entire year, but it turns out I was profoundly anaemic. I got that sorted, my iron levels have returned to normal and I have been getting periods again, but I don't even think you could call them a period - a day or two bleeding at most, just spotting sometimes. That can be a little frustrating because there isn't ever a strong enough flow to require a tampon (even the smallest size) but you do need something. Daily pantyliners are useful.

I have to say I don't think depression has been an issue really but maybe others could give better advice in terms of that area.

For me it's a no brainer, I can travel, work, be poor, be rich and still not have to worry about contraceptives for 3 years! In terms of cost: originally I think I paid full price (maybe €200 but I honestly can't remember). I made an appt with my doc to get it replaced in 2010, I planned going to see him and getting the prescription to buy the second one and return for insertion. But I got very lucky as it turns out he had one in stock that day and removed the old one and put the new one in (same arm) and I didn't have to pay for it at all!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My experience with it was a disaster. Constant bleed for 5-6 weeks at the start, took pill in addition for a month to clear it up. Serious mood swings and depression. No weight issue. Period thing cleared up after a while but I have a feeling it came back. Moodiness was way too much, felt like I was turning into a psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Very similar experience to redapple, on it 4 years ish, periods are all over the place but pretty much never heavy, and I've always been really irregular.

Cost-wise, it's expensive first day, but with the drugs payment scheme it's limited to around €130 iirc, plus cost of GP. It's not that expensive though if you consider how much a pill etc would be over 3 years. When you say you didn't have to pay at all redapple, do you mean you got it removed, got a new one and got it inserted all for around €50?! If so, very jealous. Cost me €90 to get it removed and replaced on top of the cost of the bar itself.

Really though, I know you're just looking for other people's experiences, but it could go one of so many ways for you. I was fine when I got my first one, pretty much no side effects, but then my second one turned me into a madser for a month or so. I was really easily upset all the time and felt like crap but it did settle back to how the first one had been. Might've been the first one was running low and then the mad dose of fresh hormones hit my system or something. So it can differ even on the same person, not to mind a different one!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

So, random enough question I suppose, but I have an appointment next week to get the contraceptive pill....but I don't know what to expect during the appointment? Will I get a physical? Will they do bloods, or will I just be given a prescription? I know each doctor is different, but what has people here experienced???

I would really appreciate feedback, I'm a tad nervous! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

No need to be nervous! Age, blood pressure and whether or not you smoke may be a factor.
    Your blood pressure will be checked and your doctor will talk you through different types of contraception. Have a look online at the different types, in my experience, it's good to go in prepared and having some knowledge about the different types.

Definitely no need to be nervous!

Lucyfur wrote: »
    No need to be nervous! Age, blood pressure and whether or not you smoke may be a factor.
    Your blood pressure will be checked and your doctor will talk you through different types of contraception. Have a look online at the different types, in my experience, it's good to go in prepared and having some knowledge about the different types.

Definitely no need to be nervous!

And when you say the different types...(I'm totally clueless about Brands!!) what would be people's recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

And when you say the different types...(I'm totally clueless about Brands!!) what would be people's recommendations?

Well, there's the combined pill, mini pill, nuva ring, implant, depo injection, mirena coil, copper coil....they're all different, some people have to try several to find one that suits, other people get lucky and find one that suits straight away! Just go in for a chat first maybe? And then take some time to thing about the info the doctor gives you before making your choice:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You need to tell your doctor also if you suffer from migraines, that can affect the type of pill you are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

When you say you didn't have to pay at all redapple, do you mean you got it removed, got a new one and got it inserted all for around €50?! If so, very jealous. Cost me €90 to get it removed and replaced on top of the cost of the bar itself.

Yes I couldn't believe my luck - the company rep must have given my GP a freebie and it happened to be my lucky day! It turned out all I had to pay was approx €50 GP fee!

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Well, there's the combined pill, mini pill, nuva ring, implant, depo injection, mirena coil, copper coil....they're all different, some people have to try several to find one that suits, other people get lucky and find one that suits straight away! Just go in for a chat first maybe? And then take some time to thing about the info the doctor gives you before making your choice:)

Okay, so I went there today, and she told me that my blood pressure was boarderline high and prescribed me cerazette ... has anyone else been on this before? She told me that one of the side affects can be spotting, how much is a little (I'm aware this would change for everyone!) just I don't want to be worried about spotting randomly happening at different days of the week every month???

Sorry again for the randomness of the questions and stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I just started on cerazette 5 weeks ago. I was on Mercilon before it so may have had a different transition.

I had my period when I began it and I felt my period lasted a few days longer than usual. I also felt very emotional for a week or two. I found myself crying randomly. I knew it was just the new medication though so I didnt worry about it. It stopped and been fine since. No spotting at all yet.

Incidentally, my blood pressure was borderline high too. She said that they have changed the guidelines for blood pressure and according to the old guidelines I was normal, but wants to check it again in a while. She seemed to think it might be 'white coat fever', slightly high just because I was at the doctors.

Advertisement