Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

Was confused as hell earlier today, thinking I must have taken my pill twice yesterday. Turned out I hadn't, but wondering, anyone know what to do if this accidentally did happen? Take another the next day, which leaves you one short at the end of the month?

Just been so knackered lately I barely know what day it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

That has happened me from time to time. It just means it pulls the entire cycle back by a day. Its nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

I just started on cerazette 5 weeks ago. I was on Mercilon before it so may have had a different transition.

I had my period when I began it and I felt my period lasted a few days longer than usual. I also felt very emotional for a week or two. I found myself crying randomly. I knew it was just the new medication though so I didnt worry about it. It stopped and been fine since. No spotting at all yet.

Incidentally, my blood pressure was borderline high too. She said that they have changed the guidelines for blood pressure and according to the old guidelines I was normal, but wants to check it again in a while. She seemed to think it might be 'white coat fever', slightly high just because I was at the doctors.

Okay...! :) Thanks, I'm just a tad nervous, I don't know why, especially when I'm 24!!!
    I just suppose I have heard so many stories....and I can ask you....has it lead to you gaining weight? I'm in the process of losing some at the moment so really don't want to put it back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Okay, so I went there today, and she told me that my blood pressure was boarderline high and prescribed me cerazette ... has anyone else been on this before? She told me that one of the side affects can be spotting, how much is a little (I'm aware this would change for everyone!) just I don't want to be worried about spotting randomly happening at different days of the week every month???

Sorry again for the randomness of the questions and stuff....

I lasted 9 weeks on Cerazette, it was a disaster for me. I had 5 full periods in that time and I had to go back on iron supplements to avoid becoming anaemic. I was also moody as hell all the time. I was put on it in the first place because my BP was borderline high, but the side-effects of it were worse! I've been on Yasminelle for about 6 months now and I'm much happier with that - and my BP has been completely normal at every doctor's visit since then.

Some people love it though - my younger sister (19) is on it because she is a smoker and had very high blood pressure when she first went to the doc about going on the pill, and she's never had any problems with it.

Okay...! :) Thanks, I'm just a tad nervous, I don't know why, especially when I'm 24!!!
    I just suppose I have heard so many stories....and I can ask you....has it lead to you gaining weight? I'm in the process of losing some at the moment so really don't want to put it back on!

Ive been on the combined pill for 20 years, and now on Cerazette for the past 5 weeks. If anything I seem to look a bit slimmer than I did a month ago - although it could be nothing to do with the pill!!

My own weight tends to go up and down anyway and Ive never noticed a pill to make me gain - more my enjoyment of food that does it lol!!

I also quit smoking in January so I was prepared for a small weight gain this year - but the opposite happened and I had a small loss.

After posting earlier I noticed I was a bit teary eyed at something silly today, so could be the Cerazette, could just be that it was a sad thing, or could be me getting older and becoming crazier :)

• Advertisement

I'm on Ovranette the last three months and just got my new prescription for six months, it's been ideal save for.... can be extremely turned on, but nothing is happening. Dry as a desert and while I can still climax, it's very hard work. Wondering whether this pill is worth it!! I only filled the prescription for two months, and I'll see what happens then. Mostly I was worried about mood issues because I'm a bit of a headcase to start with, but haven't had any.

Am thinking of going for the copper coil when I can afford it.

Am thinking of going for the copper coil when I can afford it.

Its only the high cost (initial consultation, cost of coil prescription, insertion fee) that puts me off the coil (copper or mirena) - I simply couldnt afford to have it not work out!!

Its only the high cost (initial consultation, cost of coil prescription, insertion fee) that puts me off the coil (copper or mirena) - I simply couldnt afford to have it not work out!!

Same here. Been that way for the last year too.

Same here. Been that way for the last year too.

Yeah, I changed GP a year ago and ever since Ive been with the new GP she gives me a kind of spiel on how the pill is fine for the moment until I decide I want something more permanent, I told her last time that I want permanence but cant afford that kind of cost - is there no way it can be done on the public system?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Yeah, I changed GP a year ago and ever since Ive been with the new GP she gives me a kind of spiel on how the pill is fine for the moment until I decide I want something more permanent, I told her last time that I want permanence but cant afford that kind of cost - is there no way it can be done on the public system?

Depends what you mean by permanent or public.
    IUD/IUS procedures are covered by medical cards if you have one.

As for getting your tubes tied that's a whole different set of issues and hoops.

• Advertisement

Sharrow wrote: »

As for getting your tubes tied that's a whole different set of issues and hoops.

I meant the Mirena coil specifically but coils generally. No, no medical card.

Out of my reach so.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm on Ovranette the last three months and just got my new prescription for six months, it's been ideal save for.... can be extremely turned on, but nothing is happening. Dry as a desert and while I can still climax, it's very hard work.

yeah I was the same on Ovranette, it was great apart from the dryness. It lead to painful sex and two condom breaks. I came off it because it wasn't worth the trouble. Think I'll stick to being condom dependent!

Sharrow wrote: »

I did not realise the coils were available on the medical card! I'm entitled to one now, wow, this could be the end to all my sorrows... haha.

I'm actually scared sh*tless of having a coil inserted. The process plus the chances of it not suiting.

yeah I was the same on Ovranette, it was great apart from the dryness. It lead to painful sex and two condom breaks. I came off it because it wasn't worth the trouble. Think I'll stick to being condom dependent!

It's not just the dryness though, I actually have much less sex drive! I do enjoy it, but I'm not up for it the way I used to be!

Has anyone switched pill and found an improvement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's not just the dryness though, I actually have much less sex drive! I do enjoy it, but I'm not up for it the way I used to be!

Has anyone switched pill and found an improvement?

I've been on Yasmin for about 10 years and wouldn't switch for the world now. I've never had any issues on it whatsoever. Can't remember what I was on before that.

Tis expensive, though - between €12 and €14 a month depending on where you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm also hoping to get something permanent.
    Currently on Ovranette. Have been on the pill for 10 years. I want to come off after my honeymoon next year as I've been getting aura migraines. The doctor says they are not bad enough to be a contra-indication. But I'd still rather come off and get something permanent.

The coil appeals but as I've not had kids I hear its quite painful and likely to be rejected. Which would be waste of all that money and what if it came out and I didnt realise and got preggo! Even more money then for an abortion.

I checked out the cost of a tubal with Marie Stopes in the UK. With flights you're looking around 2k.
    Dont know what it would be here cost wise and I highly doubt anyone would agree to it.

So I'm a bit stuck for ideas at the moment.

I'm also hoping to get something permanent.
    Currently on Ovranette. Have been on the pill for 10 years. I want to come off after my honeymoon next year as I've been getting aura migraines. The doctor says they are not bad enough to be a contra-indication. But I'd still rather come off and get something permanent.

The coil appeals but as I've not had kids I hear its quite painful and likely to be rejected. Which would be waste of all that money and what if it came out and I didnt realise and got preggo! Even more money then for an abortion.

I checked out the cost of a tubal with Marie Stopes in the UK. With flights you're looking around 2k.
    Dont know what it would be here cost wise and I highly doubt anyone would agree to it.

So I'm a bit stuck for ideas at the moment.

I came off the combined pill for the reasons you describe above. As well as aura migraines (no headache though, just visual disturbance), I would get non migraine headaches on the week break, an upset stomach from cramping, and generally behave like a lunatic.

I realised last May that I had begun to normalise my symptoms when I skipped the week break because I was studying for exams and didnt want my study interrupted by headaches.

But I stayed on combined pill until 5 weeks ago when I saw a stand in doctor and she asked the routine questions regarding migraine etc and said she would not prescribe it because of the aura mirgaines.

So onto the progesterone only pill and no issues since and I have to say, I am much relieved that I am off the combined pill and really sorry I didnt do it years ago. I have not had a headache in weeks - and I would have been a monthly sufferer for years. No aura migraines yet either - although they were rare so cant comment for a while on that. No period either which is cheaper on feminine hygiene products!!

Anyway, I dont think I want to go as far as tubal litigation, big surgery, and lets face it, my fertility will go away on its own if I wait long enough!! Cant afford it anyway.

I would try the coil but cant afford the initial outlay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have never had kids and had the Mirena IUS quite successfully. Now I have entered the pleasuredome that is peri-menopause and have had a Decapeptyl injection to hurry it along.

Had it been suitable (couldn't because of fibroids) I would have had a second Mirena no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I did not realise the coils were available on the medical card! I'm entitled to one now, wow, this could be the end to all my sorrows... haha.

I'm actually scared sh*tless of having a coil inserted. The process plus the chances of it not suiting.

Honestly it's like a smear but when it's inserted it's like a really sore hard pinch right in the middle of you womb, like the sly sort a sibling would give you on the arm. You breath through it and get pain killers to take beforehand and to take if you need them for the next 24 hours.

and if it doesn't suit the dr can take it out again, if it does, well like I said I am on my 3rd and have been told I can keep having them in until I am finished with menapause as they are now being used for menapausal women to control bleeding, flash floods to go with the flushes as I've heard them called.

The notion of never again having a period apeals as so does effective contraception for the next 13 years, cos really my Grandmother had her youngest at 50, so I've over a decade until I hit menapause and I don't want any more children.

I save up for mine, first time it was a bit of a hit but over 3 months after that I save up a bit every few months, being on the pill over the 5 years is much more costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Anyone else used the Ortho Evra patch and gotten really sore boobs? Like, it hurts to wear clothes against my nipples sore... :/

Just wondering is it common or just me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Anyone else used the Ortho Evra patch and gotten really sore boobs? Like, it hurts to wear clothes against my nipples sore... :/

Just wondering is it common or just me!

Yup! And that was the best of a bad lot when it came to side effects for me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Post reported (again)

Goodbye Wafa

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Hi all,
    Just wondering does anyone have the non hormonal copper coil? Not looking for medical advice as I am going to see a gyne about it. Bt wondering had anyone similar problems.
    I've had it 2 years last month. But the last few months it's been causing problems. This month my period was 3 days late, lasted 3 days, went for 3 and bled for few hours and its gone again. The month before it lasted 2 weeks! They are very heavy and painful which I know I'd because of the coil. But the randomness of them is what I am wondering about. Any ones personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

After getting acne from ovranette, my doctor switched me over to dianette today. I've never had bad skin, but the doctor said that ovranette is the cheapest on the market (very popular with the NHS and college students as a result!) and can cause skin issues in some cases. Hopefully things will start clearing up soon- nothing worse than not being able to wear strappy tops or go out without makeup because of acne :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My smear came back clear :)

Delighted, cause it's seven years (I know, I know) since my last one and both my sisters have had SIN2 and SIN3 results respectively in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

I was on cilest for the past two years and I must say it was fairly good. I would say that the only side-effect for me was a craving for chocolate for the whole week break. was cheap too about €12 for six months

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ZombieMed

Plenty of women have tubal ligations here too - normally though they want you to have ensured that you've outruled other contraception and also would prefer that you're older or have very obviously finished your family. Really the same conditions that they would consider in the UK and because it's not a risk free operation and can have complications afterwards.

You can go public for it.

ZombieMed wrote: »
    Plenty of women have tubal ligations here too - normally though they want you to have ensured that you've outruled other contraception and also would prefer that you're older or have very obviously finished your family. Really the same conditions that they would consider in the UK and because it's not a risk free operation and can have complications afterwards.

You can go public for it.

Id be interested to see stats on this. I spoke to my GP about it in my late 20s and she told me that elective tubal litigation for a childless woman of my age in this country was effectively nil although it was possible to be referred to clinics in the UK (that was about a decade ago mind you, may have changed since).

Not disputing you, would just be interested in knowing how difficult it really is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Id be interested to see stats on this. I spoke to my GP about it in my late 20s and she told me that elective tubal litigation for a childless woman of my age in this country was effectively nil although it was possible to be referred to clinics in the UK (that was about a decade ago mind you, may have changed since).

Not disputing you, would just be interested in knowing how difficult it really is.
    My gynae has offered to refer me for a TL since I was 36 if that was my wish.

She's not originally from Ireland though and has fairly progressive views.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Another thumbs up for the Mirena, had tried almost every pill you can think of (LevlenED, Dianette, Yasmin, Microgynin, prob more), the implant, nuva ring, and had mild to extremely severe depression on them all.

Was worried beforehand as had done a google and seen the class action lawsuits, side effects etc. and I hadn't had kids, but was really out of options.

Am on my second now (had small problem with the first where it wasn't sitting properly but only occurred 3 years in), definitely had some small issues, but on the whole it's been a lifesaver - had pretty horrific periods before and endo, and last laproscopy I had was all clear :)

It's not perfect, but compared to everything else it's a godsend for me.

Advertisement