Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

dazey wrote: »
    Just sharing my experience - I got the coil fitted two months ago. Still haven't plucked up the courage to go 'find' it in myself yet if that makes sense, but I'm going for a check up shortly. Fitting was uncomfortable. Quite uncomfortable. I'm twenty and have never had a baby. But it's worth it. I will not be making babies for the next few years! Wahay!! Go copper coil

Just out of interest, did you find it difficult to persuade your GP to fit the coil? I asked my GP about it once (I'm 21) and she tried to dissuade me from it. Thankfully it was just an inquiry at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Honey-ec wrote: »
    If you can't take the Pill for hormonal reasons then you probably won't be able to use these either; they're both hormonal products that work in more or less the same way as the Pill.

I think they're around the €15 per month price range, which is more or less the same as the Pill I'm on.

I can't take it as I have Crohn's and may not fully absorb the pill into my system, not because of hormonal reasons should have clarified that.

Thanks for the info on nuvaring Peach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

PucaMama, your thread asking the same question was locked as medical advice is not allowed on Boards.ie. Please see your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, did you find it difficult to persuade your GP to fit the coil? I asked my GP about it once (I'm 21) and she tried to dissuade me from it. Thankfully it was just an inquiry at the time.

I didn't go to my GP as I wanted to make sure I was in the hands of someone who was experienced in inserting coils and looking a ladybits i.e. a gynecologist. I did not have to persuade her, just a few checks before hand to make sure that a) i was infection free, as this can cause serious complications and b) that i had enough space to have it inserted (the speculum could be inserted). I also went somewhere that was recommended to me and had an all female staff - that really put my mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Focus Girl

Hi Ladies, I have had me mirena in for over a year but am thinking of getting it out. I have a bleed at least every 2 weeks. It goes like, cramps forst and then i get a discharge - like old blood (browny red and clotty) and that lasts about 4 days and then four maybe five days later i get a bright red heavy bleed for about five to six days. I literally dont know whether i am coming or going. I'm tired - lacking in energy and down right contrary!!! Anyone else every have this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Hope Im allowed post this.

Wondering what has been peoples experiences of using norethisterone to postpone their period?

hi castaway_lady, I've moved your query into this thread where you will get good advice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Just looking for some opinions here.

I'm on Ovranette atm and have been since the summer. I was also on it about a year ago before that.

Last month I decided to skip my break on Ovranette to try and prevent my period (or whatever you would call it) for that month. This didn't really work and I'm still suffering from breakthrough bleeding two weeks later.

I am now caught in a situation where it is my boyfriend's birthday next week, the same week as should be my break week. I'd really rather not be on my period next week and am wondering what to do.

Would it be safe to skip my break week for the second month in a row? What about the fact that I still had breakthrough bleeding. Does that make it more/less likely for me to have a bleed next week?

I'll also add that about a month or so ago I was also put on Keppra (1500mg a day I think) as a treatment for Epilepsy. I am bearing in mind that this may have effected the Ovranette so I am keeping an eye on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

When I was on ovranette my doctor said to be sure to take 4 breaks a year. So one every 3 months is fine. However I always found I got a little breakthrough bleeding towards the end of the second packet without a break, and more if I skipped the break again.

So it should be fine to skip. Maybe call into a chemist and ask for advice on how much breakthrough bleeding is normal and mention your other medications though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 diddlescrow

Hi all,

I appreciate that this topic has been discussed before, however If any one has had recent experience can you please help? I waited a year to get a public appointment to see a Gyne consultant in Cork. Had the appointment today and was told that it would be at least 12-14 months before I would be offered an appointment for the procedure. Needless to say I raised hell with the consultant.

Has anyone here been seen more quickly in recent times? Are there any tips to try and get bumped up the list?

I am tearing my hair out ...

xxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi all,

I appreciate that this topic has been discussed before, however If any one has had recent experience can you please help? I waited a year to get a public appointment to see a Gyne consultant in Cork. Had the appointment today and was told that it would be at least 12-14 months before I would be offered an appointment for the procedure. Needless to say I raised hell with the consultant.

Has anyone here been seen more quickly in recent times? Are there any tips to try and get bumped up the list?

I am tearing my hair out ...

xxxxx

That's probably a fair good waiting time to be honest, if you don't mind me asking is it elective (i.e. something you are doing as you don't want to have any/more children) or is it for a medical purpose?

Public waiting lists are fairly long at the moment, there is the treatment abroad scheme for some procedures which you can avail of if your waiting time is deemed to be excessive but I think it's at least 12 months, and there are a fair few conditions attached.

Yes it is elective presently, however that could change rapidly pending on my psychological state having to wait so long :)

Im 35 with 2 kiddies

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes it is elective presently, however that could change rapidly pending on my psychological state having to wait so long :)

Im 35 with 2 kiddies

In all seriousness 12-14 months to wait for an elective procedure is not long to wait in the public system.

People with chronic injuries such as knee ligaments can be left waiting that long.

As it's elective though, it doesn't qualify for the treatment abroad scheme, the min. waiting time for that that I am aware of is 12 months anyway.

Stheno wrote: »
    In all seriousness 12-14 months to wait for an elective procedure is not long to wait in the public system.

People with chronic injuries such as knee ligaments can be left waiting that long.

As it's elective though, it doesn't qualify for the treatment abroad scheme, the min. waiting time for that that I am aware of is 12 months anyway.

Thanks,

However I have been in the system for 2 years before this, I had gone to see a consultant privately who rail roaded me in to the coil, which at the time I protested to but he insisted that I try that first. Unfortunately as expected I reacted to the coil in the same was a other forms. Horrific side effects. Anyhow that original gyne said that if it didn't work that he would then do my tubes as a last resort. Hey presto, 8 months later, coil had to be taken out and he had retired. ( Initially having other procedure done at the time of coil insertion which would have covered me for the ligation with my health insurance)

Referred to another gyne who says that health insurance will not cover for it. Waited 12 months for the appointment which is today and now Im faced with another wait, which if its 12- 14 months will be 3 years in total. I am do upset as I cannot take hormones of any sort and must rely on condoms, in fact my bedroom department is in retirement as a result.

Thanks,

However I have been in the system for 2 years before this, I had gone to see a consultant privately who rail roaded me in to the coil, which at the time I protested to but he insisted that I try that first. Unfortunately as expected I reacted to the coil in the same was a other forms. Horrific side effects. Anyhow that original gyne said that if it didn't work that he would then do my tubes as a last resort. Hey presto, 8 months later, coil had to be taken out and he had retired. ( Initially having other procedure done at the time of coil insertion which would have covered me for the ligation with my health insurance)

Referred to another gyne who says that health insurance will not cover for it. Waited 12 months for the appointment which is today and now Im faced with another wait, which if its 12- 14 months will be 3 years in total. I am do upset as I cannot take hormones of any sort and must rely on condoms, in fact my bedroom department is in retirement as a result.

It's very difficult to even get referred for a TL in this country, so despite the wait you are quite fortunate to have gotten this far. I know it's hard to believe but if it's gone on this long then you are now on the back foot, you've less than half the time you've currently been waiting for the procedure to put up with. If you've a read through this thread there are other methods that people on here use that are non-hormonal, I've not much info on them, but there have been several posts, that you may find helpful.

Stheno wrote: »
    It's very difficult to even get referred for a TL in this country, so despite the wait you are quite fortunate to have gotten this far. I know it's hard to believe but if it's gone on this long then you are now on the back foot, you've less than half the time you've currently been waiting for the procedure to put up with. If you've a read through this thread there are other methods that people on here use that are non-hormonal, I've not much info on them, but there have been several posts, that you may find helpful.

Thanks for your help. Im just a frustrated bunny today as I thought that it would be sooner :mad: ;) Fingers crossed it will be sooner rather than later

Thanks for your help. Im just a frustrated bunny today as I thought that it would be sooner :mad: ;) Fingers crossed it will be sooner rather than later

You're welcome, best wishes that you do get the procedure sooner or later and that it is a great success :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hope Im allowed post this.

Wondering what has been peoples experiences of using norethisterone to postpone their period?

I used it to stop excessive bleeding rather than just a period and it worked fine. Some slight nausea occasionally, but never actually got sick, so once I reminded myself this was a sensation rather than a need to really be sick I never actually did. Mind over matter really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭smallgarden

normally would pop to gp for and female issues but was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on whos best to go to for gynae type visit on a saturday in south dublin.i know lukedoc are gp out of hours but not sure what theyd be like for a gynae visit.id prefer not to go to well woman in town and dont like ifpa in tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Anyone have an experience with the Nuvaring or Ortho Evra? Can't take the pill and don't think can afford the implant. I know both are more expensive than the pill but how much do they cost exactly?

I was on Nuvaring for 6 months and was pyscho-b*tch on it. Reacted really badly, horrible mood swings, bloating, depression...I wouldn't go near it again. Doctor encouraged me to stay on it to see if things settled down but they didn't. I was so bad on it that when my OH sees the poster behind reception on Scrubs with the Nuvaring logo, he invariably launches in to an anti-Nuvaring rant.

You can feel it (both partners) when having sex too...it's weird.

I'm happily back on Mercilon, my first ever pill now. Tried a few others along the way but Mercilon suits me. Considered depo but my friend bled solidly for 3 months after getting it, so sticking to the pill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Neither me or my boyfriend can feel the nuva ring during sex. It's said that 9 of 10 couples can't feel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Keep getting recurring thrush and have no idea how to stop it. Have spoken to my dr who told me what not to do eg, scented shower gel/leaving underwear on at night , but it's still recurring. No sooner has it cleared (1-2 days) until I've got it again. Not looking for medical advice, just changes that I could make to stop it being so frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Drastically cut down your sugar intake

bluewolf wrote: »
    Drastically cut down your sugar intake
    Thanks Bluewolf. Don't really use much sugar, wouldn't drink tea/coffee or put it on cereal or eat much sweet stuff.
    I do drink a lot of beer though, and use a lot of salt. Would cutting back on both of those help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

xLexie wrote: »
    Thanks Bluewolf. Don't really use much sugar, wouldn't drink tea/coffee or put it on cereal or eat much sweet stuff.
    I do drink a lot of beer though, and use a lot of salt. Would cutting back on both of those help?

Sugar as in fruit, bread, cereal and most processed food.

Also alcohol.

Sugar as in fruit, bread, cereal and most processed food.

Also alcohol.
    Thanks SB. Will give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Focus Girl wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, I have had me mirena in for over a year but am thinking of getting it out. I have a bleed at least every 2 weeks. It goes like, cramps forst and then i get a discharge - like old blood (browny red and clotty) and that lasts about 4 days and then four maybe five days later i get a bright red heavy bleed for about five to six days. I literally dont know whether i am coming or going. I'm tired - lacking in energy and down right contrary!!! Anyone else every have this?

I've not had a bleed for two years on mine. I know that some bleeding is normal but yours sounds very frequent so it might be best to check with your doctor.

As Stench Blossoms said, cutting out the alcohol might be a good idea. Yeast is used to make beer and wine so perhaps try cutting it out completely for a bit. I used to get awful thrush on occasion and found that making sure there's no dampness in that area really helps - i.e. making sure to be perfectly dry after a wee, after showering and after sex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Focus Girl wrote: »

It may have come out. Go to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Keep getting recurring thrush and have no idea how to stop it. Have spoken to my dr who told me what not to do eg, scented shower gel/leaving underwear on at night , but it's still recurring. No sooner has it cleared (1-2 days) until I've got it again. Not looking for medical advice, just changes that I could make to stop it being so frequent.

i know this sounds weird but it works wonders - use natural yogurt instead of a cream, for me it both clears the infection and keeps it from recurring. I only use it on the outside I've never had to use it on the inside but from what I read thats ok to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Anyone ever experience any bleeding with thrush? Not proper bleeding just bright red tiny spots? Iv never had thrust this bad before and its so irritated!
    Im off the dr tmrw for pill prescription so will be bringing it up then too. Just wanted to know if its common?

Advertisement