Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone ever experience any bleeding with thrush? Not proper bleeding just bright red tiny spots? Iv never had thrust this bad before and its so irritated!
    Im off the dr tmrw for pill prescription so will be bringing it up then too. Just wanted to know if its common?

Best to have it checked by your doctor tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Anyone ever experience any bleeding with thrush? Not proper bleeding just bright red tiny spots? Iv never had thrust this bad before and its so irritated!
    Im off the dr tmrw for pill prescription so will be bringing it up then too. Just wanted to know if its common?
    Yes, had spotting with it but turns out I had a UTI also that time so maybe it isn't thrush. Best speak to your dr anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

xLexie wrote: »
    Keep getting recurring thrush and have no idea how to stop it. Have spoken to my dr who told me what not to do eg, scented shower gel/leaving underwear on at night , but it's still recurring. No sooner has it cleared (1-2 days) until I've got it again. Not looking for medical advice, just changes that I could make to stop it being so frequent.

I had this for over a year and a half, along with insane itching before periods, recurring vaginitis (couldn't wear jeans or have sex for 6 months once), light spots of blood from being so sore - the works... Had been to hospital twice for exploratory surgery (i had endo before) but my doctors weren't any the wiser and I was tearing my hair out...

The last straw was not being able to have sex even when I wasn't having symptoms (pain was horrible) so I decided to take a drastic course of action and do the candida diet, mixed in with a few other tips from paleo/gut balancing diets...

There's much more detailed descriptions out there, but what I went with was no sugar, no carbs, no starchy vegetables or nightshades, no caffeine and no alcohol. I also started taking oil of oregano, and probiotics with grapefruit seed extract.

I was totally totally skeptical since the candida diet doesn't seem to be mainstream, but after a week and a bit I got the yeast 'die off' symptoms they describe, and 5 weeks later all my symptoms have pretty much stopped along with a bunch of other things that were annoying me (constant bloating in my tummy, waking up every morning with a sore throat, etc.). I'm slowly introducing a few cheat foods, but the last time I went out for a few drinks my thrush came back immediately the next day.

It hasn't been easy at all - but hey, it didn't cost me anything and I haven't had to go back to the doctor since. I think if I'd waited for a doctor to cop on and prescribe a long course of antifungals I'd have gone nuts!

(Side rant: one thing I am still annoyed about though is that diflucan isn't available over the counter here...in the UK and Oz it's available OTC - total thievery imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gemini123

JillyQ wrote: »
    Hi i have had a few fibroids removed, have you talked to your gynie about having a myometomy (spelt it wrong i know). It is worth getting a second opinion on this, i am speaking from experience having being told by one dr i needed a hysterectomy, it turned out i didnt need that procedure done, if you pm me op i can give you more information.
    Don't know how Aisher got on, it'd be interesting to hear. I too have fibroids, one that is very large. Found out when I got pregnant at 45 and then had another baby two years later. That of course increased the size of the fibroid. I had mixed information from doctors. Some with the attitude of "why don't you have a hysterectomy, sure you're not having any more children" (yeah, like I really want to go under the knife!!) and others who want to pump you full of drugs with side effects. I have been going to a clinic for the last few years and I am waiting for a D&C and fitting of the Mirena coil which is to help reduce bleeding. Luckily I don't have any pain, I do have a weak bladder and very heavy periods, but I'd rather wait for the Menopause to let nature take its course than be operated on. The only problem I have is that I've had my procedure cancelled six times as I'm in the public system. Thinking about going private if its cancelled again! Would be interested to know what other's have experienced with fibroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I'm currently ovulating and I'm getting some ache in my breasts and back.

I don't recall getting the breast sensitivity before - I'm in 30/s and a mother so it feels like the way my breasts would get when I was pregnant - but I'm not pregnant now.

Any ideas or thoughts about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I don't recall getting the breast sensitivity before - I'm in 30/s and a mother so it feels like the way my breasts would get when I was pregnant - but I'm not pregnant now.

Have you started a new type of contraception recently? I went on the pill a couple of months ago and I started getting achey boobs along with the rest of my PMS, which I never had before. Just a thought :)

I started taking evening primrose oil and it's stopped the aches completely, my doctor recommended it for hormonal imbalances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Thank you but I'm not on any contraception.

It is a similar feeling to when I was breastfeeding.

Thank you but I'm not on any contraception.

It is a similar feeling to when I was breastfeeding.

Ah okay, I'm not sure what else it could be. Might be worth seeing a doctor if you're concerned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I always get achey and tender around ovulation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gemini123 wrote: »
    Don't know how Aisher got on, it'd be interesting to hear. I too have fibroids, one that is very large. Found out when I got pregnant at 45 and then had another baby two years later. That of course increased the size of the fibroid. I had mixed information from doctors. Some with the attitude of "why don't you have a hysterectomy, sure you're not having any more children" (yeah, like I really want to go under the knife!!) and others who want to pump you full of drugs with side effects. I have been going to a clinic for the last few years and I am waiting for a D&C and fitting of the Mirena coil which is to help reduce bleeding. Luckily I don't have any pain, I do have a weak bladder and very heavy periods, but I'd rather wait for the Menopause to let nature take its course than be operated on. The only problem I have is that I've had my procedure cancelled six times as I'm in the public system. Thinking about going private if its cancelled again! Would be interested to know what other's have experienced with fibroids.

I too have fibroids and went privately for the procedure you are waiting on, as I was having unbelievable bleeding. I had previously had a Mirena which worked fine, so they wanted to replace it, but my usual doc had trouble inserting this one, so recommended I have it done under a light general. In I went, but when they went in (so to speak), they found my uterus was very enlarged with the fibroids (the size of a 20 week pregnancy) and spongy and they couldn't safely insert the Mirena. While they were in the area, they did a D&C.

I'm not interested in having children so I was given Decapeptyl injections (one every three months) which sort of put you into an early menopause and inhibit the oestrogen which the fibroids like to grow with. The theory being this will shrink the fibroids and uterus and allow them to do an Uterine Arterial Embolisation later in the summer through a leg vein. This is the plan. I wasn't a suitable candidate for a hysterectomy, which I'd try to avoid anyway, just because it's a big op.

• Advertisement

Anyone experience an improvement in sex drive after changing pill? I know they all carry this as a possible side effect, just wondering whether anyone experienced it more on one than another; otherwise Ovranette is perfect for me, and I'm wary of changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Yasmin was the worst for me, libido evaporated completely. Am now back on Mercilon, my very first pill from years ago and it suits me better than the other pills I was moved to over the years and waaaaay better than the evil Nuvoring.

Dianette has reduced my libido a bit, but thankfully not significantly. It tends to peak the week before my period, quite sharply :pac:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Get your prolactin levels checked? Its a simple blood test to get diagnosed, and is easily sorted.

Elevated prolactin is common in pregnancy and breastfeeding but can also occur outside of those too. Breast tenderness and other PMS type symptoms are some of the symptoms.

I had elevated prolactin prior to pregnancy and breastfeeding and took a tiny tablet once a day to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, mods feel free to delete/move!

But I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of the average waiting times to be seen by a gyno in Dublin going public?

I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to get a referral as I'm pretty sure I have endometriosis ( have had all the symptoms for years but they've never been investigated) but I'd like to have an idea of how long I can expect to wait, especially as I'm going away for the summer so I'd like it to be sooner rather than later. Although in saying that I fully expect it to take at least a month or two.

Any help/info is appreciated!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

allym wrote: »

But I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of the average waiting times to be seen by a gyno in Dublin going public?

I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to get a referral as I'm pretty sure I have endometriosis ( have had all the symptoms for years but they've never been investigated) but I'd like to have an idea of how long I can expect to wait, especially as I'm going away for the summer so I'd like it to be sooner rather than later. Although in saying that I fully expect it to take at least a month or two.

Going on a recent post in this forum relating to a lady from Cork, it could be up to a year

Even going private you may have to wait a month or two, public will definitely be longer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

I would expect it to take anywhere from 3 months to a year. Three months being very very lucky. Going private I have waited up to 3 months so public will probably fair much worse - I ended up going private as I was given an 11 month wait. Definitely ring up when you get your appointment as sometimes they can put you down to be contacted if a cancellation comes up. It sounds like you're in a bad way so I hope you get sorted soon!

@ allym I forgot to post that I see a gynae who runs a womens health clinic outside of her work in the HSE in Newbridge.

Been going to her for about six years at this stage for my depo shot.

She's got ultra sound etc in the clinic and a standard consultation is €80

As it's part time she only does Wednesday evenings and Saturday morning clinics, but might that be an option, even to go to her rather than a gp and see if you can move things along quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Stheno wrote: »
    @ allym I forgot to post that I see a gynae who runs a womens health clinic outside of her work in the HSE in Newbridge.

Been going to her for about six years at this stage for my depo shot.

She's got ultra sound etc in the clinic and a standard consultation is €80

As it's part time she only does Wednesday evenings and Saturday morning clinics, but might that be an option, even to go to her rather than a gp and see if you can move things along quicker?

Thanks so much for all your replies much appreciated :)

I ended up ringing the department in James' because one of the consultants my GP recommended does his public clinic there and she told me that his public waiting lists are way shorter at the moment so that'll I probably get seen the beginning of April whereas itd be July by the time he'd see me privately!

Which is gas but also very very lucky for me :)

Thanks so much for all your replies much appreciated :)

I ended up ringing the department in James' because one of the consultants my GP recommended does his public clinic there and she told me that his public waiting lists are way shorter at the moment so that'll I probably get seen the beginning of April whereas itd be July by the time he'd see me privately!

Which is gas but also very very lucky for me :)

That's fantastic, I'm delighted for you, the very best with it :)

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I too have fibroids and went privately for the procedure you are waiting on, as I was having unbelievable bleeding. I had previously had a Mirena which worked fine, so they wanted to replace it, but my usual doc had trouble inserting this one, so recommended I have it done under a light general. In I went, but when they went in (so to speak), they found my uterus was very enlarged with the fibroids (the size of a 20 week pregnancy) and spongy and they couldn't safely insert the Mirena. While they were in the area, they did a D&C.

I'm not interested in having children so I was given Decapeptyl injections (one every three months) which sort of put you into an early menopause and inhibit the oestrogen which the fibroids like to grow with. The theory being this will shrink the fibroids and uterus and allow them to do an Uterine Arterial Embolisation later in the summer through a leg vein. This is the plan. I wasn't a suitable candidate for a hysterectomy, which I'd try to avoid anyway, just because it's a big op.
    Thanks Spurious. I was offered Decapytol injections too, but I read the side affects and wasn't keen on having them. Similar to you my fibroids make me look about 2 or 3 months pregnant. I have another appointment next week, which I hope they don't cancel again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Anyone experience an improvement in sex drive after changing pill? I know they all carry this as a possible side effect, just wondering whether anyone experienced it more on one than another; otherwise Ovranette is perfect for me, and I'm wary of changing.

Mine died an incredibly rapid death from Cerazette. I've recently switched to Yasmin and find I don't have much of a sex drive, but I think that's situational factors and life stress.

It's risk with them all :(.

Faith wrote: »
    Mine died an incredibly rapid death from Cerazette. I've recently switched to Yasmin and find I don't have much of a sex drive, but I think that's situational factors and life stress.

It's risk with them all :(.

Cheers... that's pretty much what research seems to indicate yeah, if you're affected by one you'll be affected by them all! I'm going to stick with Ovranette till my 6 months prescription is up, speak to the doctor when I go back for the next one, but will probably just stay with it. It suits me in every other way, and I guess it could be worse!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cheers... that's pretty much what research seems to indicate yeah, if you're affected by one you'll be affected by them all! I'm going to stick with Ovranette till my 6 months prescription is up, speak to the doctor when I go back for the next one, but will probably just stay with it. It suits me in every other way, and I guess it could be worse!

No, sorry I made it look like I've only been on two pills, but I've actually been on several. Cerazette was the only one that DEFINITELY had an impact. I've been fine on the other ones. If it's really gone, then definitely speak to your doctor. It's a pretty considerable side effect, and one you probably wouldn't have on another pill.

Faith wrote: »
    No, sorry I made it look like I've only been on two pills, but I've actually been on several. Cerazette was the only one that DEFINITELY had an impact. I've been fine on the other ones. If it's really gone, then definitely speak to your doctor. It's a pretty considerable side effect, and one you probably wouldn't have on another pill.

Aaah. Thanks. I think it would be worth trying another. I wouldn't say it's gone completely but enough to cause me some dismay. Wouldn't hurt to try another pill for a few months, nothing to stop me going back to Ovranette if others don't suit.

Aaah. Thanks. I think it would be worth trying another. I wouldn't say it's gone completely but enough to cause me some dismay. Wouldn't hurt to try another pill for a few months, nothing to stop me going back to Ovranette if others don't suit.
    I find Cerazette definately reduces sex drive and I've put on weight. I'm limited to progesterone only pill and hope to get Mirena Coil due to fibroids. I hope that'll improve things. Don't get much support from Doctor and its not something you can easily talk about. I also think it makes me very emotional and depressed at certain times in my cycle. I'm really fed up with it all and its put a lot of stress on my relationship. Not one I would recommend, but everyone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm only on my second month of Cerazette, but I've been bleeding almost constantly since my second period. It's not heavy, but the only time I've been bleed free has been the last week - for almost a week. Has anyone experienced this? It's driving me crazy, hoping it'll ease off over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I'm only on my second month of Cerazette, but I've been bleeding almost constantly since my second period. It's not heavy, but the only time I've been bleed free has been the last week - for almost a week. Has anyone experienced this? It's driving me crazy, hoping it'll ease off over time.

I had this on Cerazette - basically 5 periods in 9 weeks. Given that I'm prone to anaemia, this wasn't acceptable to me (along with being terrifyingly moody), so I switched to Yasminelle at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Great, thanks for sharing. Good to know it's not just me so.

I forgot to mention it to my doctor last time I was in, but was in for blood tests, and no anemia anyway. But yeah I'll keep an eye on it. I want to give it a chance though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Gongoozler wrote: »

I was the same as well. I hated that pill. It was horrible. went back to Ovranette as soon as I could.

Advertisement