Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I think I'm finding myself a little more emotional on it too. As if I wasn't bad enough :p
    I'd have to stick with progesterone only, but yeah I might go to my doctor to switch soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gemini123

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I'm only on my second month of Cerazette, but I've been bleeding almost constantly since my second period. It's not heavy, but the only time I've been bleed free has been the last week - for almost a week. Has anyone experienced this? It's driving me crazy, hoping it'll ease off over time.
    Yes, I've experienced this. Not every period and not quite as bad as you. I thought it was because of my fibroids, but now think its because of Cerazette. My doctor said it doesn't affect bleeding. But from the comments on this thread, I think my doctor's wrong. Like you I'm limited to a progesterone only pill, so not much choice, they all seem to have side effects. Also I have hypothyroidism which is another factor, which I reckon is all related and a lot of women are suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Wow, didn't expect it was such a problem. sounds like a nightmare for you.

I hope if I do change I don't have the same issue. At least it's not painful for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cerazette was the only pill that I couldn't stand. If it suits you, it's great by all accounts. If it doesn't suit, it's a nightmare. I lost my sex drive to the point that I didn't even want to think about sex*, I was on a diet at the time and COULD NOT lose weight - which led me to guess that I was just losing the weight Cerazette was trying to make me put on, thus staying at the same weight on the scales. I bled heavily for a week or two, and then had regular spotting. It made me depressed to the point where I struggled to get out of bed some days. I took it for two months and came straight off it.

*Had a friend who started on it, and she couldn't even bear to be touched. She got so down she nearly quit her job and had constant bleeding, all within the first month. As soon as she came off it, she started to feel better.

I'm not trying to scaremonger, and I know plenty of people who love being on Cerazette, but like I said, if it doesn't suit you, it REALLY doesn't suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm in the boo-Cerazette camp too. I became extremely depressed, stopped eating because I couldn't lose weight while on Cerazette and basically felt worthless. The only positives were that I didn't get pregnant, and my periods all but stopped.

Within a week of giving it up, I felt so much happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

I'm on Cerazette, had been on it before and suited but not this time. I suffer from depression and with the cerazette it has worsened,crying constantly, irrational moods and now even the thoughts of sex disgusts me.The reason I liked this pill is because i get no periods which was great for me because I get heavy periods and have anaemia.I really think I 'm better off getting off this for the sake of my own sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

€21 difference for 6 months of my pill between the pharmacy near work and Boots in Grafton St. Feckin mad ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It's funny while I was on cerazette I thought it was great, it's only now that I'm off it that I see how horrible it was. I just had no sex drive at all when on it, and thought that was just how I was!

I'm also in the progesterone-only camp. TTC at the min but even if I wasn't I wouldn't go back on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I've had the complete opposite on cerazette. The first 3 months was a nightmare alright, got heavy periods every 2 weeks. I was ready to give up but tried another month of it and it was grand. I do get some light spotting the odd time.
    I've had no problem losing weight on it, tracking calories in and out. And bigger boobs too. Its great.

Has anyone else had absolutely crazy periods while settling into a new (non-POP) pill? I'm just finished my second pack of Yasmin and I'm having the heaviest period I can remember having since I went on the pill at 17. I'm used to really light ones and it completely caught me by surprise this month :o. I'm really hoping it's just a blip from the change and that it will settle down soon :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I changed from Microlite to Marviol about 6 months ago and I have found that my period is heavier than it was on Microlite and also a little more painful. It's nowhere near my natural period so to speak but I did notice a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

*flies flag for the Mirena coil*
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Mirena coil is a miraculous invention. Granted, like all things discussed here, it's not necessarily for everyone but I've found it to be absolutely fantastic. No periods for 5 years, decrease in PMS symptoms (especially mood swings), decrease in severity of bleeding. Only downside is that the first 6-8 weeks can be off-putting as your body adjusts to the new influx of hormones and the fact that you have a foreign body embedded in your uterus.
    I suffered horrendous cramping for a month went I first got mine but it eased up and I found I was no longer suffering from such heavy bleeding that made me feel borderline anaemic each month. The first year, you might have the occasional cramp and irregular bleed but it swiftly sorts itself out and after that, it's fabulous.
    Since this is my first one, I'm not sure how it works out coming to the end of the 5 year cycle but I've found that lately I've started to get spotting and moderate cramping on and off for the last 3 months.
    Mine is due out in October so that might be it. Can anyone confirm this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

You dr might switch it out ealier for you, I suggest you talk to them about it.

I'd love to hear more experiences of the mirena coil, I need some sort of birth control but I'm just afraid of all of them after my horrible experience of Depo Provera

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Well if it doesn't suit you, you can have it removed unlike the depo.
    What would you like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'd love to hear more experiences of the mirena coil, I need some sort of birth control but I'm just afraid of all of them after my horrible experience of Depo Provera

Like McChubbin I find it briliant, I've posted about it before in this thread (I don't know if there's an easy way of searching, if not I'll try to find my previous posts :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aurora1984

I've been on the mirena for almost 2 years and I have found it amazing so far. I have had no side effects, my periods stopped almost immediately and have not returned since :) I had been on the pill for about 7 years before and was always switching and finding myself easily moody but on the mirena I feel like myself again! I don't know why they try put women off this if they have not had kids before as I thought it was no big deal getting it placed! If you've any questions let me know!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aurora1984 wrote: »
    I've been on the mirena for almost 2 years and I have found it amazing so far. I have had no side effects, my periods stopped almost immediately and have not returned since :) I had been on the pill for about 7 years before and was always switching and finding myself easily moody but on the mirena I feel like myself again! I don't know why they try put women off this if they have not had kids before as I thought it was no big deal getting it placed! If you've any questions let me know!

I also had a Mirena without having had kids. The insertion wasn't painless, but it was a short, sharp pain and then it was over with. Cramping for about four hours afterwards - reminded me of the sort of cramps you get when your periods are starting for the first time, then no more trouble.

Unfortunately, I developed large fibroids and couldn't have a second one inserted after the five years, which was a terrible pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Had the coil inserted not too long ago (around 8 months), the insertion wasn't bad at all, more uncomfortable than anything and I was bricking it going in after hearing it was more painful than childbirth but it was a pinch and then cramps, have had way worse period pains!

I haven't had kids and they in no way discouraged me from having it done (pm me for details of where), talked through all my options and seeing as I had extremely bad and heavy periods and had been on every pill going they didn't have a problem with it and told me all the risk while still putting me at ease.

Had cramps on and off for around 3 days after it, just like bad period cramps. Got my period the same as usual for the first six months (this is to common for the first 6 months, sometimes even heavier than before) then about 2 months ago it stopped and I had a tiny bit of spotting and that was it. Have no cramps, pmsing, weight gain, my iron levels are back up, sometimes get headaches but that's about it. I know if you suffer from migraines they can make them worse.
    I would highly recommend the mirena and if you've any questions don't hesitate to ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

I'm not looking for medical advice, just curious. I think im allergic to latex condoms, I'm just wondering would that cause thrush? It only ever seems to happen afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

xLexie, I am allergic to latex and the reaction I get is the same itch as thrush and dryness. I believe there are latex free condoms on the market I'd say a pharmacist is your best option here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

aknitter wrote: »
    xLexie, I am allergic to latex and the reaction I get is the same itch as thrush and dryness. I believe there are latex free condoms on the market I'd say a pharmacist is your best option here!!

Think that's what it is! Raging! Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

avanti is durex latex free condom (currently on short from supplier) and mates skyn is also latex free! if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have a two year old and I got a Mirena coil in almost 6 months now, with no adverse side affects. As others have said insertion was fine, just a little uncomfortable and mild cramping for about an hour. I get a little spotting each month around the time I would be due my period, along with a small breakout which I get around my period anyway. Mood is good, whereas on combined pill had mood swings. No attributed weight gain, nausea, or anything else I can think of really! All in all I would recommend it, I'm really happy with it thus far, feel free to ask anything else you need to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭WittyKitty1

My doctor prescribed for me 'Microlite' but when reading the info inside, it said to avoid if you are prone to migraines with the visual symptoms... I get pretty mad migraines and lose eye sight while I have them so I didn't take them... Anyone on here, get migraines and yet on the pill?

I was Yasmin before but only after taken it for a few days was I told about the migraine side effect and it didn't really bother me all that much.

I'd really like to be on something as I've been diagnosed with PMDD and the doctor said it would help having a constant intake of hormone...Also, my skin is Craaap around that time of the month, acne everywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

If you get focal migraines you shouldn't be prescribed the combined pill. The progesterone only one is ok though. Does your doctor know you get migraines? It can be quite dangerous, so if not, tell them that.

Would you consider the implant or Depo? They're hormone-based too. I get focal migraines occasionally so I have the implant, have found it pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Can Evra patch shorten period? Started this on Friday and my period usually lasts 5 days and is heavy heavy up until the 4th day but has been pretty light since day 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I am on dianette and its working well for me however a couple of times in the last year I have skipped my period by not taking a break in between packs, when I had something on I didn't want to be on my period for, wedding etc. I really like the idea of not having my period every month, I have heard that there is of a pill where you only have your period once every 3 months, does this mythical drug exist, if not do I have any other options. I prefer pill form as opposed to patch or injection.

January wrote: »
    Can Evra patch shorten period? Started this on Friday and my period usually lasts 5 days and is heavy heavy up until the 4th day but has been pretty light since day 2.

I don't know about the patch specifically, but every pill I've been on (5 in total) has given me a different type of period. So, I'd guess yes. Particularly if you haven't been on hormonal contraception before; then you can definitely expect your periods to get lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi ladies...

firstly sorry if this is in wrong place... and embarrassing

basically i had sex for first time about a month ago.. I bled a bit.. didn't realise for while until we saw it.. mortified..
    but he asked did i have my period , to which i replied Yes because on first thought, i just presumed it brought it on as it was due within a day or 2.

anyway after i got home.. i realised, nope this wasnt my period, it was me bleeding - have looked it up, know its normal first time, not worried etc.

anyway kinda was worried because i didn't want him to know it was my first time (i'm a late bloomer, late 20's)

my period came 2 weeks later (mother nature!!!) .. and after finished it, i slept with this guy again.. was so worried it'd be the same but there was just bit here and there but he didnt notice thank god..

funny thing is as we're kind of seeing each other now.. we were on phone last night about other stuff and him being bold asked was i on my period again.. (him joking about our first niight).. i replied No.. but i figured that he not so slow and knows its monthly and should be due.
    next time i do see him, my period will be well over.. but is there chance i could bled again??

Advertisement