Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

goodtastee wrote: »
    Hi ladies...

firstly sorry if this is in wrong place... and embarrassing

basically i had sex for first time about a month ago.. I bled a bit.. didn't realise for while until we saw it.. mortified..
    but he asked did i have my period , to which i replied Yes because on first thought, i just presumed it brought it on as it was due within a day or 2.

anyway after i got home.. i realised, nope this wasnt my period, it was me bleeding - have looked it up, know its normal first time, not worried etc.

anyway kinda was worried because i didn't want him to know it was my first time (i'm a late bloomer, late 20's)

my period came 2 weeks later (mother nature!!!) .. and after finished it, i slept with this guy again.. was so worried it'd be the same but there was just bit here and there but he didnt notice thank god..

funny thing is as we're kind of seeing each other now.. we were on phone last night about other stuff and him being bold asked was i on my period again.. (him joking about our first niight).. i replied No.. but i figured that he not so slow and knows its monthly and should be due.
    next time i do see him, my period will be well over.. but is there chance i could bled again??
    in general you shouldn't bleed during sex. You would bleed the first time because your hymen is broken but don't think you should bleed after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I bleed during sex sometimes, mostly after I have had a break of a few months between. I spoke to a few friends and 2 of them had similar experiences. I spoke to my doctor and had a smear test and it's just I have a very sensitive cervix, so it happens sometimes.

So not sure if it's common, but it does happen! Just try to be comfortable with the guy, although I still feel embarrassed sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys,

Not looking for medical advice here, just experience other people have had on this issue.
    Has anyone who suffers from irregular periods been to a doctor about it?
    I'm in my late 20's and have always been very irregular (sometimes can go a few months without any period). I've finally plucked up the courage and made an appointment to talk to my doctor about it this week.
    Does anyone know what I should expect? Blood tests maybe? (If so can they do these straight away or would I have to come back another day?)
    Or would I have to be referred to the likes of an endocrinologist?

Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks girls,..
    I guess i read that when hymen breaks and you bleed, you mightn't fully bled first time so i thought it may happen first few times.. i am comfy with him.. just didnt want him knowing it was first time (though i'll prob end up telling him eventually)!

Thanks a million... also on funny note.. He's (HIM) expecting me to get period so if i say na, nothing yet, i bet he'll get worried... haha!! touch wood!! B)

Thanks peeps!! sensitive subject that i wouldnt mention to even my CLosest friends!

I also used to suffer from irregular periods. Went to the doctor and she scheduled blood tests. They couldn't be done that day, as they had to be done on a specific day of my cycle. Think it was the 3rd day of my period. So just rang the nurse the day I got it and was scheduled in.

I went on the pill then to stop the irregularity, was just a pain not knowing when it would happen even if it was only every few months then!

And I've had boyfriends get a little concerned when they did math themselves and I wasn't due. Just told them I didn't have a regular cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭aoife524

Hi Guys,

I have a little problem I'm hoping I can get some info on and Im too embarrassed to go docs! :(

I get really sore down there ( sore from scratching as it gets extremely itchy)

just around the time of my period every month? Can anybody relate to this?

I use sudocream as I become very sore and the skin becomes irritated and broken and sometimes i use canestan cream

I've stopped using perfumed soaps and all down there when I'm showering but I still manage to get it.

I also get a burning sensation after sex.
    I don't know if that's normal or something to do with above problem.
    (I've been with my bf about 20 months now so its almost every time we do it)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Im not one for jumping on going to the doctors, but it sounds like you need to. To me it sounds like it could be BV but whatever it is you need to get treated. It must be driving you crazy. Doctors, i've found anyway, are very good about things like this. Theres nothing to be embarrased about at all. You'll be glad you went

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

If you don't want to face your local doctor try the nearest GUM or STI screening clinic. They are usually free and there is nothing the staff there haven't seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Hi ladies,

I'm considering going back on the pill but have been also reading about the coil and the bar.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the bar/coil?
    The idea that you have it for 3/5 years worries me a little in terms of fertility etc down the line?
    Thoughts and opinions all appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I've just stated back on the pill and started on the first day of my period. So I'm getting major cramps like my period but of course I'm taking the pill - dianette - too.

How long should I expect this pain to last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Bijon

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone here could provide some details on what exactly happens when you have a mammogram. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at 35 and sadly passed away aged 40. I recently turned 30 and as I have such a close family history of the illness I now have to start getting annual mammograms/check ups.
    So really I am just wondering what the process will be and does it hurt?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Bijon wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone here could provide some details on what exactly happens when you have a mammogram.
    So really I am just wondering what the process will be and does it hurt?!

Hi Bijon.
    I've had mammograms in both St.James's and St.Vincent's hospitals.
    I found the staff to be very professional and understanding;
    and they explained everything in as much detail as I needed

On all occasions,the mammograms were only slightly uncomfortable-in no way painful-(this can depend on size of breast,I was told, bigger breasted women can find it more uncomfortable.)

I was asked to strip from the waist up,and then the breast was manually placed (by the female technician) between the scanner- a tight sandwich almost,would be the best way to descibe it, and the machine is like-for all the world- a sandwich toaster!(sorry:o)

The breast is x-rayed at different angles,and the breast position is changed each time.

For some,it might be strange having someone handle their breasts this way-but that is the only way the x-ray can be taken-they are the experts.

Sometimes,an ultrasound can be done after the mammogram,as this is also a very useful way of diagnosis.

Honestly?it was over very quickly,and there is no discomfort once it is over.
    Hope that ^^^ wasn't too graphic/daft!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

wivy wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I'm considering going back on the pill but have been also reading about the coil and the bar.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the bar/coil?
    The idea that you have it for 3/5 years worries me a little in terms of fertility etc down the line?
    Thoughts and opinions all appreciated! :)

The implanon which is the bar in the arm lasts for 3 years and you can be fertile after having it out and ready to conceive between 2 to 6 months.

The iud is a copper coil, no hormones 0.8 % effective, can be fertile and ready to concieve with in a month, but may lead to heavier periods.

The IUS or mirena, plastic with hormones, lasts 5 years, can result in lighter or no periods, fertility and ready to conceive with in 2 to 6 months of having it removed 0.2% effective.

If you don't want to start a family in the next 3 to years then consider getting a LARC (long acting removable contraceptive) it's peace of mind, works out to cost less in the long run and less of an effect on your fertility then being on the pill will for those years as they are a lesser dose of hormones.

The only added concern with the IUD or the IUS is you have to be careful about general pelvic infections, so hygine and washing sex toys ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bijon

msthe80s wrote: »
    Hi Bijon.
    I've had mammograms in both St.James's and St.Vincent's hospitals.
    I found the staff to be very professional and understanding;
    and they explained everything in as much detail as I needed

On all occasions,the mammograms were only slightly uncomfortable-in no way painful-(this can depend on size of breast,I was told, bigger breasted women can find it more uncomfortable.)

I was asked to strip from the waist up,and then the breast was manually placed (by the female technician) between the scanner- a tight sandwich almost,would be the best way to descibe it, and the machine is like-for all the world- a sandwich toaster!(sorry:o)

The breast is x-rayed at different angles,and the breast position is changed each time.

For some,it might be strange having someone handle their breasts this way-but that is the only way the x-ray can be taken-they are the experts.

Sometimes,an ultrasound can be done after the mammogram,as this is also a very useful way of diagnosis.

Honestly?it was over very quickly,and there is no discomfort once it is over.
    Hope that ^^^ wasn't too graphic/daft!

Best of luck.

Hi msthe80s thanks for your reply and nope it wasn't too graphic at all :D
    I would be bigger breasted E or F cup so hopefully they won't cause me too much trouble, damn big breasts haha!
    I am having it in James' and I have heard great things about the breast clinic in there.
    I have been told that due to my age it can be very difficult to get a perfect picture, due to the fatty tissue I think.
    But you must look after your health and I will be getting them every year from now on so I may as well get used to them :rolleyes:
    Thanks again for your response

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Miss-Tralee

Hi!

Please excuse the name, signed up to this many years ago!

I am coming to the end of my second Implanon and I am wondering if I can get a third?

It has worked very well for me, very little periods, only 3 in the last 3 months. Almost 6 years period free has been awesome!

So I am also wondering is there another method that offers the same thing... No periods and no babies!

Any advise is very much welcome! :)

Thanks in advance!

Claire

Generally yes you should be able to get another one but your Dr will know best.
    The IUS/Merina can do the same thing and lasts for 5 years.
    It can stop periods but not everyone experiences that.
    http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

Hi all, my partner will probably have to have a hysterectomy, was wondering if any of you had any experiences of attending St. Vincents hospital Dublin to have this done there?

Or St Francis in Mullingar? Im looking for a recommendation for a gynae, female preferably can anyone help? Id appreciate any info at all, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BacanBan

Hi,

I was just wondering how long after taking antibiotics is the pill safe to rely on again. I started antibiotics on Thursday, and I've been using condoms with it as I heard that the antibiotics can stop the pill from being effective. The antibiotics will finish today(Monday) and I continued to take the pill with them. So I'm assuming I'll have to wait the 7 days before I can trust the pill again. However my week break comes on Friday, so I won't complete a whole cycle of 7 days in the pill. So I guess I'm wondering will I have to wait until after the break to trust the pill again? I will probably rely on condoms until then out of paranoia, but I just wanted to know for the future.

I know I should have asked my doctor this, but I'm a newbie on the pill and it completely slipped my mind. Also sex was the last thing on my mind with the way I was feeling last week. I don't think this is asking medical advice, but if it is I'm really sorry.

Thanks,
    BacanBan

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

HI it depends on the antibiotic you are taking because some of them do not affect the pill. Google the antibiotic and the brand of pill you are taking and you will know. If you use the same doctor all the time he should have prescribed an antibiotic that does not react with your pill if he or she was paying attention

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

HI it depends on the antibiotic you are taking because some of them do not affect the pill. Google the antibiotic and the brand of pill you are taking and you will know. If you use the same doctor all the time he should have prescribed an antibiotic that does not react with your pill if he or she was paying attention

All antibiotics affect the pill. Bacanban give your doctor a quick ring and ask them, you dont want to rely on Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Tigger99 wrote: »
    All antibiotics affect the pill. Bacanban give your doctor a quick ring and ask them, you dont want to rely on Google.

+1

Or pop into a pharmacist and ask them :)

I've been on a couple of antibiotics that the doctors said wouldn't affect my pill. Can't remember the name of them now! Did you get an info leaflet with them? Probably best to ask the chemist anyway.

I've been on a couple of antibiotics that the doctors said wouldn't affect my pill. Can't remember the name of them now! Did you get an info leaflet with them? Probably best to ask the chemist anyway.

+1; ask your pharmacist, they have massive books delivered annually with drug interactions in them, in fact, it's most often the pharmacist that catches counter-indicative prescriptions and informs the doctor. This is their job, after all, more than the doctors'.

My parents are pharmacists. That's my source. Doctors are trained in what drugs treat certain illnesses. They might not know offhand if that drug interacts with another. Pharmacists are trained in what the drugs are prescribed for, what ingredients they contain, and how they interact with other drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Could anyone recommend a female GP in Cork city? I go to the doctor pretty rarely and have had college doc if needed til this year, but since I'm a bit more settled in the city I reckon I should probably go to a GP here. Mods, sorry if this should be in Cork forum, but want a woman's recommendation for this if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Could anyone recommend a female GP in Cork city? I go to the doctor pretty rarely and have had college doc if needed til this year, but since I'm a bit more settled in the city I reckon I should probably go to a GP here. Mods, sorry if this should be in Cork forum, but want a woman's recommendation for this if possible.

It's a little out of the city so might not suit you but I go to Dr Keane in Douglas and she's lovely. Can PM you her details if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BacanBan

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I asked the chemist and they said that I can either run the packs together and skip the break week. Or I can take the break as normal and just rely on condoms until 7 days into the new pack. The antibiotics are macrodantin and the pill I'm on is Ovranette just in case anybody ever wonders in future.

I read the leaflets on both but neither were very useful in case of the break week. They just say that it takes 7 days after antibiotics for the pill to be back at it's normal effectiveness. I had asked my doctor when I went in, but the test didn't show up as a UTI at first so I wasn't prescribed antibiotics for a week later when he got more test results back, meaning I wouldn't have 7 pills in my pack left when I finished the antibiotics course.

I've never ran two packs together before but the chemist said it should be no problem. I may just take the break as normal though and just use condoms until 7 days into my new pack. Thanks for all the help though, you helped me feel better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Hi, does anyone know if a medical card covers contraception?

I've just got the card and although I've been on the pill for a while, I feel a different form of contraception would suit me better.

Any info. would be great.

Thanks. :)

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if a medical card covers contraception?

I've just got the card and although I've been on the pill for a while, I feel a different form of contraception would suit me better.

Any info. would be great.

Thanks. :)

Yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Morag wrote: »
    Yes it does.

All forms? or is there restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

All forms. You can get the mirena fitted under the medical card at the Well Woman Centre in Coolock.

Advertisement