Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Tigger99 wrote: »
    All antibiotics affect the pill. Bacanban give your doctor a quick ring and ask them, you dont want to rely on Google.
    Lucyfur wrote: »
    +1

Or pop into a pharmacist and ask them :)

This is not true. But if you're on the pill you should always check with your GP when you get a prescription for antibiotics. The pharmacist would probably mention it if it's the same place you got your pill but I wouldn't rely on them.

I was recently prescribed antibiotics (fairly common ones) for throat and sinus infections and was surprised when my doctor told me they wouldn't interfere with the pill. These same antibiotics were previously on an "interferes with the pill" list but he went so far as to pull out the latest directive from the medical council which clearly stated that they are no longer considered a risk to the effectiveness of the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All,

Have any of you got the implant?

I am thinking about it, but I have heard that some women can have long/prolonged bleeding etc ? I am in a new relationship, but the above kind of puts me off the idea of it maybe?

I dont want to rely on condoms alone (terrified of getting pregnant). I used to take the pill, but had to come off it due to family history etc

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

Has anyone here been on a pill called Estelle?

My doctor changed my birth control, again. I was on Celeste which was too weak. Then they changed me to another high dose pill, which was discontinued after a year and I was moved to Zoely. I had no periods & yesterday the doctor said it was probably causing fibrocystic breast disease after a breast check & was causing discomfort.

Being changed around so much is irritating. Has anyone been on this new one, Estelle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Can anyone just clarify the below for me. I'm looking into what contraception is available to me, ideally without the use of hormones as I suffer from occular migraines.
    I reckon my options are -

The mini pill - hormone based so could cause various unwanted side effects.
    The coil - expensive initial cost and it may just fall out.
    Tubal/Essure - Very expensive and I will have to go to the UK.

Are there any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/contraceptive-diaphragm.aspx
    At a glance: contraceptive diaphragm

When used correctly with spermicide, a diaphragm is 92-96% effective at preventing pregnancy – this means that between four and eight women out of every 100 who use a diaphragm as contraception will become pregnant within a year.
    There are no serious health risks.
    You only have to think about it when you have sex.
    You can put a diaphragm in several hours before you have sex.
    It can take time to learn how to use it.
    Some women develop cystitis (a bladder infection) when they use a diaphragm. Your doctor or nurse can check the size – switching to a smaller size may help.
    If you lose or gain more than 3kg (7lbs) in weight, or have a baby, miscarriage or abortion, you may need to be fitted with a new diaphragm.
    By using condoms as well as a diaphragm you'll help to protect yourself against sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Does no one here use the nuvaring?
    yes its 20 a month but to me its brilliant as contraception. Its low dose but totally controls my moods now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Thanks for that info Morag. Its definitely a possibility. Although I had hoped to use something that I dont have to administer/put in before sex. We are using condoms at the minute which are fine, but it can be a bit of a mood killer if you have to stop to go and get one.
    Plus after spending years doing it without one, it does feel a little weird for us both using one now.

I shall keep researching :) I will get essure/a tubal in the next few years, but it would be good to have something else for the next 12 months or so.

Thanks for that info Morag. Its definitely a possibility. Although I had hoped to use something that I dont have to administer/put in before sex. We are using condoms at the minute which are fine, but it can be a bit of a mood killer if you have to stop to go and get one.
    Plus after spending years doing it without one, it does feel a little weird for us both using one now.

I shall keep researching :) I will get essure/a tubal in the next few years, but it would be good to have something else for the next 12 months or so.

The IUS uses different hormones then the pill so that may be another option best to talk to your dr re that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Does no one here use the nuvaring?
    yes its 20 a month but to me its brilliant as contraception. Its low dose but totally controls my moods now.

Hated it, turned me into psycho b*tch. OH could feel it too and it made him feel uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Can anyone just clarify the below for me. I'm looking into what contraception is available to me, ideally without the use of hormones as I suffer from occular migraines.

Have you considered the implant? I had focal migraines too, so went for this. Initial cost is pricey enough but it lasts 3 years. I'm on my second.
    Hi All,

I am thinking about it, but I have heard that some women can have long/prolonged bleeding etc ? I am in a new relationship, but the above kind of puts me off the idea of it maybe?

I dont want to rely on condoms alone (terrified of getting pregnant). I used to take the pill, but had to come off it due to family history etc

Any advice?

Yep it messed with my cycle a lot, but mine was irregular anyway. There's no way of knowing how it'll affect anyone really. Would the minipill (progesterone only) be any good to you if you can't take the combined one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hi ladies, just wondering if anyone has had any acne-related success with a combined pill other than Dianette?

I used Dianette when I was 18 and it cleared my acne right up. I'm on it again now three years later, and after nearly six months there has been pretty much no improvement. I don't want to continue to take it long term if it's not going to help my skin.

The mini-pill does not agree with me, so if anyone has a suggestion for a combined one, that would be great. I know each pill affects women differently, but I'm at the end of my tether :(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

I had the coil fitted not so long a go, have never had children, and am very squemish. The coil cannot just fall out. If you PM me I can reccommend the place I went to in Dublin. I felt extra secure as they fit the device every single day. The initial expense is worth being hormone free, and it works out cheaper long term. Mine is copper, the other one contains hormones, and is good for eight years. There is an initial settling down period of a few months, just a few funny twinges, and now everything is back to normal. [disclaimer: I am offering my experience here, not the advice of medical professional, who you should see]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Hi All,

Any advice?

I had it an got it out after the year after having awful problems with it. But everyone is different it might be great for u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I switched from Mercilon to Cerazette due to ocular migraines. No more estrogen. That was last September and I havent had a migraine since, no period, no cramps, no week of headaches (non migraine), no spending on pain relief or tampons and the only side effect that is of any worth mentioning is that my hair has been greasier with increased sebum production - but even thats not too bad!

Im not worried that the coil will fall out, but I cant afford the initial outlay considering that if it doesnt agree with me I may have to have it removed. My mother had a copper coil and awful awful heavy periods and cramping. Im kinda squeamish too.

Im against tubal because, well its a surgery. Thats a big deal.

Anyway - just thought Id share my experience seeing as you had the ocular migraines too.

Then see if the IUS is an option for you, you may end up with no periods at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Idiot here thought it was Wednesday when she woke up and took today's and tomorrow's pills. I thought I had missed one. Do I just continue as normal now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

You continue your pack and take another one tomorrow, but you will finished your pack early. You don't skip a day because you need to maintain your hormone levels. Don't know how that impacts you contraceptivley though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    You continue your pack and take another one tomorrow, but you will finished your pack early. You don't skip a day because you need to maintain your hormone levels. Don't know how that impacts you contraceptivley though.

Yeah that's what I was thinking tbh. I'm not using it as contraception at the moment anyways because I'm not with anyone so that doesn't matter. Thanks Sarah. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 heythereyou

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, just wondering if anyone has had any acne-related success with a combined pill other than Dianette?

I used Dianette when I was 18 and it cleared my acne right up. I'm on it again now three years later, and after nearly six months there has been pretty much no improvement. I don't want to continue to take it long term if it's not going to help my skin.

The mini-pill does not agree with me, so if anyone has a suggestion for a combined one, that would be great. I know each pill affects women differently, but I'm at the end of my tether :(

Hi,

I was on Dianette for my skin for 2.5 years and it worked for me. However after 2 years it is recommended that you stop using it because of the risk of blood clots/DVT. After this, I used Yaz and it has continued to work for me.

I know this is a bit different to you, but maybe give Yaz a try?

Separately, does anyone use a 3rd type of contraception at all? Currently use the pill and condoms, but am still worried about getting pregnant. Any advice?

Sorry if its a stupid question :(

Hi,

I was on Dianette for my skin for 2.5 years and it worked for me. However after 2 years it is recommended that you stop using it because of the risk of blood clots/DVT. After this, I used Yaz and it has continued to work for me.

I know this is a bit different to you, but maybe give Yaz a try?

Yeah I don't plan on staying on Dianette after my prescription ends. I might ask the doctor about Yaz or Yasminelle; I was on Yasmin years ago and my skin was okay on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Separately, does anyone use a 3rd type of contraception at all? Currently use the pill and condoms, but am still worried about getting pregnant. Any advice?

Sorry if its a stupid question :(

It sounds a bit like overkill to me.

You have never met anyone more paranoid about getting pregnant than me (ended up splitting with my husband over not wanting children), but we relied on the Pill alone for almost seven years and never even had a scare.

There's no way in hell I'd be using condoms in a committed relationship, I absolutely loathe the things.

The only third type of contraception I can think of that wouldn't involve doubling up on hormones would be the copper IUD or the diaphragm, which, coupled with condom use is going to be even more of a spontaneity/intimacy killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

This is about my pill again, Cerazette... There's very little chance of pregnancy (all but twice we've used condoms too) but it's been 5 and a half weeks since I got my last period. I've been keeping a diary app thing on my cycle, and according to that I was due two weeks ago, I expect because most of the time I have a period every two-three weeks. It's still all over the place, so I'm not too worried. But I think my boyfriend is a little worried.

Has anyone else had this irregularity with POP, or specifically Cerazette? It makes a change from the constant bleed, but not much less bothersome tbh.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    This is about my pill again, Cerazette... There's very little chance of pregnancy (all but twice we've used condoms too) but it's been 5 and a half weeks since I got my last period. I've been keeping a diary app thing on my cycle, and according to that I was due two weeks ago, I expect because most of the time I have a period every two-three weeks. It's still all over the place, so I'm not too worried. But I think my boyfriend is a little worried.

Has anyone else had this irregularity with POP, or specifically Cerazette? It makes a change from the constant bleed, but not much less bothersome tbh.

My periods more or less stopped on Cerazette; I think it's pretty common to end up with little or no bleeding on it.

phew, have to say that's a relief. could do without spending 15quid on a test right now. All I have to do now is convince himself not to worry...

I was thinking too though, my appetite seems to have gone up too since starting this. I remember my doctor saying a noted side effect was weight gain, but that it's not really because it doesn't cause you to gain weight, it just increases your appetite. No wonder I've been so hungry all the time. ugh. It's hard to ignore being so hungry.

phew, have to say that's a relief. could do without spending 15quid on a test right now. All I have to do now is convince himself not to worry...

I was thinking too though, my appetite seems to have gone up too since starting this. I remember my doctor saying a noted side effect was weight gain, but that it's not really because it doesn't cause you to gain weight, it just increases your appetite. No wonder I've been so hungry all the time. ugh. It's hard to ignore being so hungry.

Well maybe it wouldn't hurt to do a test, to be on the safe side. But it is possible that your bleeding is less frequent now.
    Yeah it can increase your appetite alright, I found that as well. It sucks but you just have to get on with it. Keep an eye on the side effects, especially your mood, just in case it doesn't agree with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

phew, have to say that's a relief. could do without spending 15quid on a test right now.
    Boots own-brand ones are €7.99 for a twin pack ;)

Yeah thanks, will do. My mood seems fine now though. Maybe a little inexplicably weepy for a little here or there, but nothing big I don't think.

I'll give it the weekend, and then maybe do a test. Thanks RK :D I'll keep it in mind!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My friend went on Yasmin and suddenly became RAVENOUS all the time, so increased hunger can happen with certain pills for certain people. It's also common for periods to stop, or become very infrequent, with Cerazette :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Was just coming on here to ask about Cerazette!

I'm on it to help with symptoms of PCOS (periods lasting 2 weeks at a time, completely irregular, extremely painful, etc). I have to take Cerazette (or the mini pill in general) because I can't have both hormones due to medical history.

I was on it for 3 months, two years ago, and I bled every single day (fairly heavily) for the three months, til I stopped taking it.

I was on it again about a year ago for 2 months, again stopped taking it because of the breakthrough bleeding being an every day, all day thing.

I was put on it again about 4 months ago. Straight away, no breakthrough bleeding, happy days.

It regulated my periods perfectly, and they lasted for about 5-8 days, rather than 2 weeks, which was great. Less pain, too.

But now, my period is two and a half weeks late.

I know you guys said above that it's common for it to stop periods, and I have no symptoms of my period coming on (usually I get really sore boobs and back pain for days before it), but in the experience you guys have had, is it likely to come back irregularly? I don't particularly want to wear big knickers and bring pads around every day! :pac:

Also, did a pregnancy test (haven't been having sex, but have been messing around enough that accidents could have happened if I weren't on the pill), and it was negative, so it's definitely not that!

Personally, I didn't find any increase in appetite with it. In actuality, I've lost my appetite and I'm losing weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

If there's a deals near you they do pregnancy tests for 1.50!

Advertisement