Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I know you guys said above that it's common for it to stop periods, and I have no symptoms of my period coming on (usually I get really sore boobs and back pain for days before it), but in the experience you guys have had, is it likely to come back irregularly? I don't particularly want to wear big knickers and bring pads around every day! :pac:

I was on Cerazette for about six months and my periods didn't come back at all until about two months after I finished it. I've never heard of them coming back on Cerazette, but your doctor might be able to tell you if it's possible. I would have maybe a day of spotting when my period was due but that was the extent of it.

Having said that, my periods were always like clockwork so maybe I'm not the best candidate to listen to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thanks for that. I will of course be speaking to my doctor about it. :) I was just trying to gauge if I need to bother bringing pads and painkillers to work with me over the next few days. :pac:

I haven't read about it coming back either. The reason I was put on this particular minipill was because of the likelihood of it stopping my period, so hopefully it's gone for a while now. :D

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I will of course be speaking to my doctor about it. :) I was just trying to gauge if I need to bother bringing pads and painkillers to work with me over the next few days. :pac:

I haven't read about it coming back either. The reason I was put on this particular minipill was because of the likelihood of it stopping my period, so hopefully it's gone for a while now. :D

Maybe bring them until you know for sure that they're gone; it sucks being caught on the hop! I hope that's the end of crappy periods for you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think they can either stop or become irregular (but infrequent), so best to keep supplies on you in case it turns up out of the blue. From the Cerazette website:
    Bleeding pattern
    Cerazette may cause bleeding changes,1 which are common to any method of progestogen-only contraception.8–12
    Bleeding may become infrequent, frequent or prolonged.1
    Some women may experience amenorrhoea.1
    Over time there is less frequent or prolonged bleeding.1
    A large-scale study (n=1,306) compared the contraceptive efficacy, bleeding pattern, acceptability and safety of Cerazette to a progestogen-only pill containing 30 µg of levonorgestrel. Compared to women in the levonorgestrel group, women in the Cerazette group tended to experience less bleeding over time. In addition there was more amenorrhoea and more infrequent bleeding over time in the Cerazette group. There was a shift towards less bleeding and/or spotting days with Cerazette than with levonorgestrel.3,13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Age old question; how can you lesson period cramps?
    I'm usually fine with them, but I'm absolutely dying with it today, which is different for me. Nothing seems to be working at all. My stomach and lower back are reallyyyy sore. :(

• Advertisement

Age old question; how can you lesson period cramps?
    I'm usually fine with them, but I'm absolutely dying with it today, which is different for me. Nothing seems to be working at all. My stomach and lower back are reallyyyy sore. :(

Taking 1000mg Evening Primrose Oil everyday eases cramps for me, you can buy it with Vitamin E in Tesco :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,851 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ella wrote: »
    Yay Bluey, so happy for you and your Mam <3

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Mars Bar wrote: »
    :pac:
    Nothing to see here....

So periods suck eh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Well my period has almost arrived. was going to get a test yesterday but we left it too late in the day and everything was shut.
    It's funny, as much a pain as getting your period is, it really feels wrong not getting one.

The hunger thing is such a problem. I've had so much to eat and i'm still hungry - 3large egg omlette with ham cheese onion and mushrooms. But then omlettes never filled me up anyway. dunno how I'm going to hack this.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Well my period has almost arrived. was going to get a test yesterday but we left it too late in the day and everything was shut.
    It's funny, as much a pain as getting your period is, it really feels wrong not getting one.

The hunger thing is such a problem. I've had so much to eat and i'm still hungry - 3large egg omlette with ham cheese onion and mushrooms. But then omlettes never filled me up anyway. dunno how I'm going to hack this.

It could be that Cerazette isn't for you. It didn't suit me at ALL - I came off it after a torturous two months. Does it suit you other than the hunger? If you have other issues with it, ask your doctor about changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I've been on the pill for the last year and because I'm not great at rembering to take it, it's not working out that well for me.
    I've been wondering about the contraceptive patch. Has anyone had experience with this, good or bad?
    I'd also like to know if you can stop the pill and start the patch straight away or do you need to take a break between?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Faith wrote: »
    It could be that Cerazette isn't for you. It didn't suit me at ALL - I came off it after a torturous two months. Does it suit you other than the hunger? If you have other issues with it, ask your doctor about changing.

Ive to head to the doctor this friday but my own doctor isnt in so probably will leave talking about changing till she gets back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Can I ask for some advice on this; how do you calculate your fertility/menstrual cycle when your period is like mine ; I have it for three/four days then it disappears for another three and comes back for anything from one-three days ... There's about a 32 day gap then.. But it's fierce confusing for the little app on my phone!
    Been like this for years, just never kept actual track of it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can I ask for some advice on this; how do you calculate your fertility/menstrual cycle when your period is like mine ; I have it for three/four days then it disappears for another three and comes back for anything from one-three days ... There's about a 32 day gap then.. But it's fierce confusing for the little app on my phone!
    Been like this for years, just never kept actual track of it!

I would say keep a proper track of it for a few months and then discuss it with your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

spurious wrote: »
    I would say keep a proper track of it for a few months and then discuss it with your doctor.

Thanks, I was worried my question might be confused with requesting med advice. Ill keep track alright, and check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 chicken_little

I have thrush, first time and am so uncomfortable!. What can I do to ease it until tomorrow? I've washed 'outside' with a few drops of tea tree and vingear in a jug of water to give some relief. Do I need canesten? Can I get that in Tesco/Boots or do I need to go to the doctor? Really want to avoid any awkward situations so any advice will help!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Oh please please don't be washing your lady parts with vinegar, it makes things worse.

You can get canesten over the counter at a chemist/boots, also get some violet soap for washing yourself, it's gentle and helps restore the balance to the area.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/FemaleSexualHealthSelfCare/VaginalThrush

Canesten Duo with the pessary and cream should sort the thrush out quickly, you can buy it over the counter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 chicken_little

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Canesten Duo with the pessary and cream should sort the thrush out quickly, you can buy it over the counter :)

Do I need a consultation with a pharmacist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

No you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I used natural yogurt worked a treat after the canesten failed me.

You can get a tablet on prescription called Diflucan that will sort out thrush quickly and with no mess or fuss. If you don't want to go to the doctor though (and you really should if you've never had thrush before, in case it's something else), then the Canesten duo is probably your best bet. Be aware that the cream can interfere with the efficacy of condoms, and the pessary will come back out of you so you might want to wear a pantyliner for a day or two after inserting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Bit of happy news :

"A simple vinegar test slashed cervical cancer death rates by one-third in a remarkable study of 150,000 women in the slums of India, where the disease is the top cancer killer of women."

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/vinegar-cancer-test-saves-lives-29314280.html

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

gctest50 wrote: »
    Bit of happy news :

"A simple vinegar test slashed cervical cancer death rates by one-third in a remarkable study of 150,000 women in the slums of India, where the disease is the top cancer killer of women."

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/vinegar-cancer-test-saves-lives-29314280.html
    If I remember correctly that vinegar test is used here as part of a colposcopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You're on the ball for this hour of the morning :)

"Apply 5% acetic acid with a cotton ball held in a ring forceps or a rectal swab. This gently applies lots of vinegar quickly and without trauma. Repeat application every five minutes, as the vinegar effect is only temporary. Warn patients, "this may burn a little." Calling the solution "acetic acid" may help increase the patient's perception of burning. Calling it "vinegar" usually will not."

MEDICAL PIX - DO NOT CLICK IF SQUEAMISH

http://www.asccp.org/PracticeManagement/Cervix/Colposcopy/BasicComponentsoftheColposcopicExam/tabid/7508/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

20 fckin days. I want to scream.

So I have been on the depo injection for like 12 years cos I got the most god awful period pains for like a week EVERY month when I was a youngster. Couldn't go nowhere or do nowt. So I was put on that. Pain bogged off :D and so did the periods. :) happy days. Then over the past year I have noticed that toward the end of the 3mth period of the depo (just before I was due a new one) I'd get a little bit of pain and the odd spotting. So the doc suggesting switching to the implant as the depo wasn't working as well. Grand jobby. Was due to get the implant last Wed at the end of my 3mth depo.

Now to the 20 days. 20 days ago my 'belly' screamed in agony. WORST period pain since goodness knows when. And the next day. Bout 5 days in started to bleed. Nothing major but average on that. As I said I am now 20 days in and I am still in agony and still bleeding a touch.

I had the implant put in last Wednesday as planned so I am hoping to heckers it sorts this out soon.

As an aside my arm frickin hurts. Bruise is beyond massive and every time I touch my arm off my body I wanna cry :(

Anyone else experience anything like this or am I a freak of nature!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

So after the horrific (but short) period pain of last month, its now nowhere to be found and I'm feeling manky nauseous all the time. Getting the cramps but no sign of the period and its four days late now.

Anyone else gotten this on Microlite? I'm starting to miss the being crazy but being guaranteed a normal cycle of Cerazette...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I had a bit of nausea when I first started on Microlite. How long have you been on it? It could just take a while to settle. For the first 3 or 4 cycles my period started on different days but it settled and I knew I'd get it 2 days after the last pill. I did eventually have to change pills because it was making me very very moody. I'm actually finding that the cramps are slightly worse on the new pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I've been off the pill since the end of December. My periods have been relatively regular. Cycles have been around 33 days. However, I'm now 7 days late this time which means my cycle is up to 40 days and counting.

Now I dont know whether I should do a pregnancy test. I am sexually active, but we use condoms. Obviously they are not 100% but it would have to be seriously bad luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Have been on it two months now. Not moody as such (with Cerazette EVERYTHING set me off), but I'm not able to handle the smell of hot food for the last two weeks and I'm late but negative test. Missed one or two so maybe thats rattled my cycle but I'm hoping this won't be a regular thing.

Advertisement