Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moved to the main thread for this kinda subject. As ever ladies, no medical advice, just personal experiences etc Thanks

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Quiet Girl wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

This is a bit personal so here goes, have the implanon in two years an in that time I have experienced a serious reduction in my sex drive, its like I just dont wanna do it anymore, well not that i dont want to but its impossible for me to get in the mood no matter what iv tried!! It is so frustrating for both me and my partner as you can imagine.

Anyway I think maybe this is a side effect of the implanon, so has anybody else experienced this kind of thing??

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I've never had Implanon, but I heard on the radio just this morning that the most recent research suggests the pill (which releases the same hormone - progestin - as the bar) doesn't actually diminish sex drive. (I don't have links to that research, apologies.)

In any event, loss of sex drive could be caused by a range of factors so I'd be strongly suggesting you discuss it with your GP to find the root cause, if it's not the implant. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've been changed onto Microlite because Yasmin is giving me chronic thrush (
    I was so tempted to stick an ice cube up my hooha this morning to ease the on-fire feeling!
    ). Has anyone any experiences with it? It's pretty cheap, isn't it? Any good or bad reports?

It's the 4th pill I'll be on in 18 months - I'm SO sick of changing!!

Faith wrote: »
    I've been changed onto Microlite because Yasmin is giving me chronic thrush (
    I was so tempted to stick an ice cube up my hooha this morning to ease the on-fire feeling!
    ). Has anyone any experiences with it? It's pretty cheap, isn't it? Any good or bad reports?

It's the 4th pill I'll be on in 18 months - I'm SO sick of changing!!

I was on ML for years in college, then was off the pill for a while, went on Yasmin, didn't like it at all, for various reasons including bad PMS, bad cramps, heavy periods (which I never have, even when I'm not taking any oral contraception...!), and now that you mention it, I got a few bouts of thrush that I didn't even connect to the pill. Again that would have been out of the ordinary for me. Even down to the pills themselves, that awful chalky texture.

Back on ML now and they're so much easier to take with the coating on the pills, and I don't remember any particular bad effects from when I took them in my late teens/early 20s. I'll report back if I notice anything sh!tty this time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I've had the implanon for 4 years nearly now. For most of those four years my periods have been substantially heavier than normal (although they were heavier than normal naturally too now they're worse). I was able to deal with that because they lasted around 9 days like pre-implanon I just had to be more vigilant with changing pads etc.

However since I got my second implanon in a year ago I've have not gone a month without getting a second period. It's gotten to the stage where I have a period for more of the month than not. My periods also have become major heavy and within a half an hour to an hour I could have soaked through what I was wearing (though this rarely happens it's still annoying). I went to the doctor about it and they just said it happens with some people and they gave me a prescription of progesterone tablets to take straight for 6 months to hopefully re regulate my cycle. I was told that for this 6 months I wouldn't bleed and if I did it would be a mini period at most. Unfortunately only a week into taking the pill I have my super heavy period again.

Has anyone had any problems like this? I'm so frustrated and tired all the time and it's starting to put a strain on my relationship, as you can imagine bleeding nearly non stop makes amorous activities near impossible.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    I've had the implanon for 4 years nearly now. For most of those four years my periods have been substantially heavier than normal (although they were heavier than normal naturally too now they're worse). I was able to deal with that because they lasted around 9 days like pre-implanon I just had to be more vigilant with changing pads etc.

However since I got my second implanon in a year ago I've have not gone a month without getting a second period. It's gotten to the stage where I have a period for more of the month than not. My periods also have become major heavy and within a half an hour to an hour I could have soaked through what I was wearing (though this rarely happens it's still annoying). I went to the doctor about it and they just said it happens with some people and they gave me a prescription of progesterone tablets to take straight for 6 months to hopefully re regulate my cycle. I was told that for this 6 months I wouldn't bleed and if I did it would be a mini period at most. Unfortunately only a week into taking the pill I have my super heavy period again.

Has anyone had any problems like this? I'm so frustrated and tired all the time and it's starting to put a strain on my relationship, as you can imagine bleeding nearly non stop makes amorous activities near impossible.

Thanks

Did you gain any weight when you got it inserted? My friend just went on and has gained nearly 2 stone....

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

maguic24 wrote: »
    Did you gain any weight when you got it inserted? My friend just went on and has gained nearly 2 stone....

I've gained between half a stone and a stone. I just find I'm never full after eating or that I quickly get hungry again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If you're bleeding that much on Implanon, even with the tablets you've been given, I'd speak to your doctor again. I haven't had the implant put in (heard too many horror stories from friends tbh!), but personally I couldn't handle that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    If you're bleeding that much on Implanon, even with the tablets you've been given, I'd speak to your doctor again. I haven't had the implant put in (heard too many horror stories from friends tbh!), but personally I couldn't handle that.

+1. You're now on 2 types on contraceptives, messing with your hormones, and your iron levels are probly low if you're bleeding that much, something is deffo not right. Go back to the doc!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Hey ladies my doctor just prescribed me the contraceptive patch. Anyone on here that is or has been on it - what is it like for weight gain and what is it like on hormones? Do you find yourself more moody? If you did gain weight was it because your appetite increased or you just put it on ? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Does anyone know if doctors can prescribe a 12 month prescription? And if so how much of it could I get on the medical card?

I'll be going to Australia on a one year working holiday in a few months. And from googling the pill im on isnt available over there.

Im on Cerazette, and find it great (no periods) so I dont want to give it up.

Im not sure if the medical care would cover it, so how much is one pack here?

I mustn't be the only one, like to be prepared.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Does anyone know if doctors can prescribe a 12 month prescription? And if so how much of it could I get on the medical card?

I'll be going to Australia on a one year working holiday in a few months. And from googling the pill im on isnt available over there.

They do in the UK if you've been on a particular pill for a while and are having no problems with it. You can ask your doctor. They may be happy to do so if you've no history of blood pressure issues, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

When I went travelling I got a 1 year prescription from my doctor, but he asked me to get my blood pressure checked every few months while away.

With regards being dispensed 12 months on the medical card, it's up to the discretion of the pharmacist. What happens there is that they can only claim for one month at a time from the HSE so they're essentially giving you the tablets but won't get paid for them all at once.
    I know my pharmacy does it, it's worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Hey ladies my doctor just prescribed me the contraceptive patch. Anyone on here that is or has been on it - what is it like for weight gain and what is it like on hormones? Do you find yourself more moody? If you did gain weight was it because your appetite increased or you just put it on ? Thanks in advance

Hey, I've been on the patch for two months now and it's working out great!
    I have put on a few pounds because I'm eating more, however that could just be because I'm lounging around on holidays at the moment. :)

Hormonally I feel fine, not anymore moody than usual or anything. The one thing about the patch is that my breasts have become quite tender and I've actually gone up a cup size, don't know if that will suit you or not.

I've no complaints about it so far, it's definitely a lot better than the pill imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Scoobynewbie

Hi,
    I had a consult yesterday with my Doctor about getting the Mirena coil & I'm pretty happy to get it fitted but anything I read about it seems to be negative.

His anyone any positive feedback/ feeling about it? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had one for five years. Delighted with it, stopped my heavy periods. Insertion wasn't great but painful for only a couple of seconds. Quite bad cramping afterwards (like those cramps when you first start having periods) for about four hours, but then I was fine.
    Some slight spotting for a couple of weeks then five years of freedom.
    Fully intended getting a second one in, but a large fibroid had to be dealt with first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Posts merged with Women's Health Issues thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

The Mirena has been a godsend for me - but it was a bit of a rocky road to get there, for whatever reason it just took ages (years!) to settle down... and I don't know if it was related but I had very very bad problems with thrush the last year and a bit.

Once I got those under control however, it's been brilliant - I had tried almost every pill plus the implant, and had lots of problems with depression, plus really heavy periods (which were just a no no given I have endo too) - which I now don't have...

Just of note - I've also developed a small fibroid in the years since I've had the Mirena, but apparently quite common regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I'm on my 3rd mirena, very happy with it. No hassle, no periods as good as getting my tubes done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I just got my first mirena 2 months ago and am delighted with it. The insertion part isn't the most fun thing you'll ever experience but is actually fine once it's all over and done with. I was a bit thick and didn't make time to eat anything beforehand (lunchtime appointment, had to leg it from work), which helps apparently, and I stupidly never thought to take a painkiller or two in advance. Doc then didn't want me to take them on an empty stomach. I'd say I might have had a better experience had I actually done this and would advise people to do it.

I had annoying but not awful cramps after, thankfuly went straight home, but a hot water bottle and a snooze after food really helped. I had to be up mad early the following day and just had a dull pain, but heat patches got me through the day. Had a long haul flight the day after that and was so worried that I'd be in bits on the flight or there'd be a complication but there wasn't a bother on me thankfully, and the doc had assured me that the cramping was temporary as the uterus adjusts to this new thing in there. I had brought heat patches with me and didn't use them once while away.

There was some light bleeding for about a fortnight after that, which totally coincided with my two week holiday (typical!). I've just had my first proper period on it, and it was lighter but went on for about 10/11 days. Had my checkup last week and all is well - it's great to not have to think about it anymore and I'd definitely recommend!

• Advertisement

Great to hear about experiences with the Mirena, ladies. Strongly considering it - my best friend got hers a few months ago and is very happy. Given my age and the fact that I won't be thinking about kids for at least five years, it seems like a very good option. Contraception that you don't have to constantly think about... heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Scoobynewbie

Thanks a million for the positivity ladies! I'm certainly going to get it fitted now, all I've heard was horror stories so I'm delighted to hear it works so well for you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have the Mirena in almost 10 months now and I find it great, no complaints at all. Getting it in was pretty okay, I had imagined it would be much worse that it was. Some spotting around when my period would usually be due for the first 3/4 months and only a couple of times since. Hopefully by the time this one is due to come out we will be planning another baby but if I didn't want more kids I would have no problem getting another one based on my experience so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Hey all,
    just looking for some experiences/info.

I'm considering going back on the pill after being off it for nearly two years. I love not having to take a hormonal contraceptive but I hate not having any control over my period and miss the security the pill gave me also. I hoping to go down the route of a low dosage pill.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo seems to be popping up a lot. Is this even available in Ireland? I can't seem to find much about it's availability, but the reviews seem to be pretty positive. Has anyone any experience with it?

I had been on Yasmin for nearly 3 years, it was fine for the first year but after awhile it really started to affect me badly, terrible mood swings, very bad anxiety and depression and weight gain (about 21lbs :( ). I didn't take any birth control for about a year or more after that and when I eventually returned to it I tried the Nuvaring (did not agree with me at all :mad:) and then Mericlon, which as far as I remember was ok-ish.

I honestly find the idea of hormonal contraceptives really scary after having a terrible time on Yasmin and also with the Nuvaring but it seems like i have no other options. I've enquired about the IUD and diaphragm before and was told they would be unsuitable as i'm in my early 20's and have not had children.

I'm aware of the injection and implant but they're a bit too long term for me at this point in case they don't agree with me. The patch also, I know i'd knock it off somehow :rolleyes:

Léan wrote: »
    Hey all,
    just looking for some experiences/info.

I'm considering going back on the pill after being off it for nearly two years. I love not having to take a hormonal contraceptive but I hate not having any control over my period and miss the security the pill gave me also. I hoping to go down the route of a low dosage pill.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo seems to be popping up a lot. Is this even available in Ireland? I can't seem to find much about it's availability, but the reviews seem to be pretty positive. Has anyone any experience with it?

I had been on Yasmin for nearly 3 years, it was fine for the first year but after awhile it really started to affect me badly, terrible mood swings, very bad anxiety and depression and weight gain (about 21lbs :( ). I didn't take any birth control for about a year or more after that and when I eventually returned to it I tried the Nuvaring (did not agree with me at all :mad:) and then Mericlon, which as far as I remember was ok-ish.

I honestly find the idea of hormonal contraceptives really scary after having a terrible time on Yasmin and also with the Nuvaring but it seems like i have no other options. I've enquired about the IUD and diaphragm before and was told they would be unsuitable as i'm in my early 20's and have not had children.

I'm aware of the injection and implant but they're a bit too long term for me at this point in case they don't agree with me. The patch also, I know i'd knock it off somehow :rolleyes:

As far as I know, they're now manufacturing a smaller Mirena which is specifically geared towards younger women who haven't had children.

My friend is on the patch and if it stays on her, you can bet it'll stay on anyone - she is a walking disaster zone/accident magnet on top of being extremely active.

My best suggestion would be to make a list of everything you need from a contraceptive, along with what you want to avoid, and any questions you have based on your research, and take them to your GP. If you're not satisfied with the level of engagement on the issue from your GP - go see another one.

That's cool about a smaller Mirena, can I ask why age is a factor for IUDs though? I'm 28 and childless with my first Mirena (so realistically could get to 33/nearly 34 before I think about getting a new one/removing it entirely), and didn't realise you could be "too young" for one, especially in early 20s - I would have thought the 5 year protection would be ideal for anyone at college/travelling/starting a career etc. Shortly after I got mine it seemed as if everyone I knew was announcing a pregnancy and I genuinely had a blip and wondered was I doing the right thing age-wise, but it's definitely the right thing for me and OH at the moment!

stinkle wrote: »
    That's cool about a smaller Mirena, can I ask why age is a factor for IUDs though?

I'm open to correction but I think it's mainly to do with the size of the device versus size of cervix. Younger generally = smaller cervix. As far as I understand, it can difficult/painful in these circumstances.

There may be other factors but that's what I understand anyway!

I'm open to correction but I think it's mainly to do with the size of the device versus size of cervix. Younger generally = smaller cervix. As far as I understand, it can difficult/painful in these circumstances.

There may be other factors but that's what I understand anyway!

Ahhh makes sense! Cervix might still be developing - isn't normal changes in cervix one if the reasons the minimum smear age was increased? To prevent totally normal developments in early 20s being wrongly flagged as cause for concern. I was one of the younger patients at my gp clinic when the cervical check started, and was told that i might have to wait till i turned 25 to be included, despite having had one or two already which were fine.

Now that I think of it, my doc had to measure my uterus before going ahead with the mirena insertion, that might be a factor too if its too small.

stinkle wrote: »
    Ahhh makes sense! Cervix might still be developing - isn't normal changes in cervix one if the reasons the minimum smear age was increased? To prevent totally normal developments in early 20s being wrongly flagged as cause for concern. I was one of the younger patients at my gp clinic when the cervical check started, and was told that i might have to wait till i turned 25 to be included, despite having had one or two already which were fine.

Now that I think of it, my doc had to measure my uterus before going ahead with the mirena insertion, that might be a factor too if its too small.

:eek:

• Advertisement

:eek:

Yup! Kinda feel like Joey from Friends when he went to the tailor when I reread what I wrote, and your reaction... May not have been the best way to describe!

To clarify: for some women, it may be a bit too small for IUD so is worth checking before trying to insert. Doc checked and i guess if all wasnt ok i could have opted for anaesthesia or another method and brought back the unopened pack to the pharmacy. Not scary it actually gave me peace of mind once I knew that as a childless first-timer that all was well, size wise, and I relaxed a lot more knowing my body was OK to proceed. It really helped with the aftermath too, knowing that all was ok internally and any cramps were to he expected rather than anything to worry about. Was convinced from reading stuff online that I might have trouble, but didnt, yay.

Advertisement