Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

stinkle wrote: »
    Yup! Kinda feel like Joey from Friends when he went to the tailor when I reread what I wrote, and your reaction... May not have been the best way to describe!

To clarify: for some women, it may be a bit too small for IUD so is worth checking before trying to insert. Doc checked and i guess if all wasnt ok i could have opted for anaesthesia or another method and brought back the unopened pack to the pharmacy. Not scary it actually gave me peace of mind once I knew that as a childless first-timer that all was well, size wise, and I relaxed a lot more knowing my body was OK to proceed. It really helped with the aftermath too, knowing that all was ok internally and any cramps were to he expected rather than anything to worry about. Was convinced from reading stuff online that I might have trouble, but didnt, yay.

Cool. Thanks for explaining... SUCH a lack of general information re: contraception!!!

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more the Mirena seems like a great option for me (assuming doctor agrees). I'll be sure to post about the whole thing when the time comes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've switched to Microlite from Yasmin and I've bloated to the size of a house :(. I don't know if it's running the two packs together, or Microlite itself. I'm desperately hoping things will go back to normal after my first period on Microlite because I just can't change pills again!

Maybe the Pill isn't the best option for you Faith - might be worth exploring other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Cool. Thanks for explaining... SUCH a lack of general information re: contraception!!!

I actually just read up a bit more there to make sure I hadn't gotten anything arseways, and the device is called a uterine sound which is used to measure the womb prior to IUD fitting. I was convinced that I'd be too small and would complicate everything, which added to my nerves (in general in my life if something can go wrong/happen in the most convoluted way possible it will), but all was well.

Getting that done felt worse that the actual fitting, but I'd put money on that being down to my nerves as I felt such a relief being told I was ok to be fitted and relaxed much more.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned yet (but could have missed it) - I was prescribed a couple of pills to insert 4 hours before the appointment to relax the cervix. It made me a bit crampy, which was no fun but it gave me peace of mind that something was happening. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, and I assume it's routine to get prescribed this along with the IUD, but no harm in asking if you do go down this route.

Between that prescription and the appointment, I was fairly broke, but the nice pharmacist saved me a few quid by signing me up for the drugs payment scheme there and then so that really helped too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Yes those tablets are standard when your having an iud/ius fitted/removed/replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Maybe the Pill isn't the best option for you Faith - might be worth exploring other options?

Yeah, it might be. I'll give it another few months on Microlite and see if it settles down :).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Hi all just wondering if anyone has any experiences of the copper coil . I am 38 and cant take hormones etc and gp is putting this in tomorrow . It lasts up to 10 years and i have read periods can be a bit heavier and longer but gp not too concerned re this as mine are short and light at the minute . I feel i can put up with this to get long term protection without the hormonal aspect . Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Hey ladies my doctor just prescribed me the contraceptive patch. Anyone on here that is or has been on it - what is it like for weight gain and what is it like on hormones? Do you find yourself more moody? If you did gain weight was it because your appetite increased or you just put it on ? Thanks in advance
    I've been on the patch for about five years now and it's a Godsend. No reportable side effects, I think I may have put on a slight bit of weight initially but I've lost it since with dietary changes. No change in moods that I know of, I've come off it and gone back on it a few times in the fives years and there's now major change in me on or off. I'm a big fan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Hi.

My period is very heavy, I also have the copper coil. But what I'm wondering from any of ye that have heavy periods is how long it lasts? Mine has been lasting maybe 12-14 days the last few months. (Heaviest day go through 1 superplus an hour for a couple of hours). It's not heavy the last few days just need a panty liner and need to change very couple of hours. If TMI sorry...
    Considering getting the coil out but want to know is it normal or not first!
    Any replies would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

idunno78 wrote: »
    Hi.

My period is very heavy, I also have the copper coil. But what I'm wondering from any of ye that have heavy periods is how long it lasts? Mine has been lasting maybe 12-14 days the last few months. (Heaviest day go through 1 superplus an hour for a couple of hours). It's not heavy the last few days just need a panty liner and need to change very couple of hours. If TMI sorry...
    Considering getting the coil out but want to know is it normal or not first!
    Any replies would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Oh crap that's not good . Had it in yesterday . The gp did say periods would get longer but mine were short so said might go from my regular 3 days to maybe five but no where near 12 to 14 days that does not sound right at all . Did say they would be a bit heavier .

Getting it in was fine and had it done day 3 of period . I have a slight watery blood tinged discharge at the minute and only had a bit if cramping for a hour or 2 after. All good so far but above has me a little worried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

alibab wrote: »
    Oh crap that's not good . Had it in yesterday . The gp did say periods would get longer but mine were short so said might go from my regular 3 days to maybe five but no where near 12 to 14 days that does not sound right at all . Did say they would be a bit heavier .

Getting it in was fine and had it done day 3 of period . I have a slight watery blood tinged discharge at the minute and only had a bit if cramping for a hour or 2 after. All good so far but above has me a little worried

Well they told me it would be heavier for the first maybe 6 months but I've had it 2 and half years now. And they are still heavier and very painful, though somw months arnet to painful, (this month was fine but last was awful!?) I had heavy periods to begin with anyhow. I didnt know it would make them longer. Just came here to find out was anyone experiencing anything similar!
    Hopefully u won't experience anything I did! It is a really good method at the end of the day!! I'm just sick of them lasting so long the pain I can cope with...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I feel like I only ever post on here when things are bad, not good!
    Ive had a really rough weekend with period cramps; I had an ultrasound about 2 months ago which showed cyst on right ovary; nothing significant, women on this thread get them all the time. The hospital have rescheduled for a normal check up in Sept. This ultrasound was a result of terrible period cramps; however my last period lasted no time at all was I was relatively ok (as in a few tablets settled me). However this period Ive been back to what it was like before; struggle to stand straight at times and even woke up in the oddest position; pretty much like I was in labour! There's no other reason bar cysts causing this as Ive had the checkups and my GP is great; has anyone got any consoling advice for me or recommendations how how to settle this pain? I honestly feel like its been the early stages of labour for days now with no reward! In work now, shattered and sore, like Ive been punched in the stomach :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Ladymaybelle - That sounds awful! Is it worth going back to your doctor and asking for some stronger painkillers?

Well, still no periods for me since April. Not even any spotting. Blood tests were normal. Doc thinks its just hormones from coming off the pill, even though I've been off it for 7 months now.
    Its actually nice not having periods, but theres also a level of uncertainty that it could suddenly just start. Getting married in about 7 weeks so I'm hoping it holds off at least till after the honeymoon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks :) I have the usual OTC stuff and Cocodamol; even have a back up of Tramadol from a op I had but wont be using them as theyre crazy drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Hi ladies, I have q regarding periods. Three months ago, my period was 9 days late. I was stressed and then I thought I was pregnant, which made me even more stressed, so I'm going to assume that it was because of stress. BTW, this is the first time that ever happened, I am usually very regular and I didn't have unprotected sex or anything like that but I'm always worried in case the condom was ripped and I didn't notice or something like that.

The following month I got it 28 days later, however, the month after that, it was 3 days early, so not too much off a fluctuation.

This month it's 10 days early, the ****? I haven't been stressed much either.... I didn't even bloat much. I have cramps but I usually bloat like mad, gain 4 pounds and have a case of the munchies the few days running up to my period. This month nothing, it just came with no warning and I wasn't expecting it.

I am thinking about going to doc, am I over reacting? Also, I am currently not on any form of birth control and I'm not having sex....I don't know whats up. If this has happened to any of ye, let me know. Thanks in advance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

maguic24 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I have q regarding periods. Three months ago, my period was 9 days late. I was stressed and then I thought I was pregnant, which made me even more stressed, so I'm going to assume that it was because of stress. BTW, this is the first time that ever happened, I am usually very regular and I didn't have unprotected sex or anything like that but I'm always worried in case the condom was ripped and I didn't notice or something like that.

The following month I got it 28 days later, however, the month after that, it was 3 days early, so not too much off a fluctuation.

This month it's 10 days early, the ****? I haven't been stressed much either.... I didn't even bloat much. I have cramps but I usually bloat like mad, gain 4 pounds and have a case of the munchies the few days running up to my period. This month nothing, it just came with no warning and I wasn't expecting it.

I am thinking about going to doc, am I over reacting? Also, I am currently not on any form of birth control and I'm not having sex....I don't know whats up. If this has happened to any of ye, let me know. Thanks in advance. :)

I don't think you're over reacting in going to the doctor at all, if your periods are usually regular and that has changed then there's no harm getting a check-up. Could be any number of simple things, or nothing, but you'd be happier yourself knowing you've had it checked out.
    If it was me, I'd go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Hi to all,

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the personal section, but I thought here would be better as there'd be mostly ladies present! :D

I'm currently on my third Implanon which was fitted October 2012. Prior to about a month or two ago I never had a single period while both the current and previous implants were fitted and never experienced any major problems.

However in the last month or so I've experienced insanely heavy bleeding (so much so that a doctor thought I was having a miscarriage and sent me straight to A&E!), crazy mood swings (feeling great and then in the space of an hour or so bawling my eyes out and having suicidal thoughts), and zero sex drive.

I'm strongly considering removing it, but my doctor insists it's still working correctly and that I shouldn't remove it, but I don't think I can stand these feelings and occurances for much longer.

Has anyone else experienced these types of things while using Implanon? If so, what did you do? I'm strongly considering trying the pill for the first time but am also worried about its effectiveness and possible side effects. I'd also consider the copper coil (the one without hormones) but my doctor previously told me it wouldn't be suitable for me as I haven't had children, but that doesn't sound at all right to me based on the research I've been doing about it online.

Thanks to all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I had a copper coil for the best part of a year and it did NOT suit me at all.

I had it inserted after my second baby. The reason they don't recommend it for those who haven't delivered a baby vaginally is that they have to dilate the cervix slightly to get it in. Some people find this painful- for me it was like medium to heavy period pain which lasted a couple of hours, nothing close to the experience of dilation in labour, with the procedure being akin to a smear.

While I was breastfeeding and not having a cycle it was no bother (although I could feel it during a certain sexual position) but once I started bleeding again it was insane- I had bad bad semipsychotic pmt, extremely heavy bleeding, debilitating migraines and mid cycle bleeding. Based on my experience of an early miscarriage, every period was like a miscarriage, so it was likely that I was conceiving every month (my husband and I are ridiculously fertile) and the coil was causing the zygote to abort. This felt wrong for me also and I experienced mood swings and mild depression.

I have another friend who had a similar experience and had to have hers removed also. But then I have a couple of friends who have absolutely no symptoms and get theirs removed and replaced every five years not a bother. So I suppose it is worth trying out for you and if its not suitable then you can always have it removed.

I also had an awful experience with Depo Provera- the three monthly hormone injection. I pretty much bled solidly for three months and once it was in there was nothing I could do but wait til it wore off.

I'm curious as to why you would be adverse to taking the pill or a mirena (coil that releases hormones)? Surely the Implanon is releasing similar hormones into your bloodstream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Rosy Posy wrote: »

I also had an awful experience with Depo Provera- the three monthly hormone injection. I pretty much bled solidly for three months and once it was in there was nothing I could do but wait til it wore off.

I tried this prior to getting my first Implanon inserted but it didn't agree with me.
    Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why you would be adverse to taking the pill or a mirena (coil that releases hormones)? Surely the Implanon is releasing similar hormones into your bloodstream?

Well yes, that's the point, I'd prefer to get away from the hormonal types of birth control seeing as my body doesn't seem to be reacting well to them at the moment, which is why I would like to get the copper coil (or Gynefix) to see if that would work. If I knew I wouldn't have any issues with it, I wouldn't really mind about the pain of having it inserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Well yes, that's the point, I'd prefer to get away from the hormonal types of birth control seeing as my body doesn't seem to be reacting well to them at the moment, which is why I would like to get the copper coil (or Gynefix) to see if that would work. If I knew I wouldn't have any issues with it, I wouldn't really mind about the pain of having it inserted.

I've previously tried: Levlen ED, the mini pill, Dianette, a bunch of other pills I can't even remember, Implanon, and the Nuva ring.

I had absolutely terrible reactions to all of them before I was put on the Mirena, which has been a godsend - so I wouldn't suggest automatically ruling out all hormonal contraception. Best thing is to talk to your doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Hi just wondering if anyone has went on the evra patch after the pill? I had been on Yasmin a few yrs but started getting slight spotting in between periods and went very dry down below:/ sorry tmi. Just wondering how anyone found the patch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Hi all,

Not sure where to put this, I had the implanon in for 3 years and had it removed the 18th of June. During my 3 years on implanon and 2 years before that on depo vera injections I had no periods at all.

Since removal (7 weeks now) I have had no periods, slight brownish discharge once about 3 weeks ago but nothing else.

We had a little accident about 4 weeks ago so I had taken the emergency after pill. Would this prolong my period?

Anyone experienced this? I'm sort of freaking out as my doctor told me I should get something after 2-3 weeks. I took a pregnancy test last week and it came back negative. Really not sure what to do.

THEZAPPA wrote: »
    Hi all,

Not sure where to put this, I had the implanon in for 3 years and had it removed the 18th of June. During my 3 years on implanon and 2 years before that on depo vera injections I had no periods at all.

Since removal (7 weeks now) I have had no periods, slight brownish discharge once about 3 weeks ago but nothing else.

We had a little accident about 4 weeks ago so I had taken the emergency after pill. Would this prolong my period?

Anyone experienced this? I'm sort of freaking out as my doctor told me I should get something after 2-3 weeks. I took a pregnancy test last week and it came back negative. Really not sure what to do.

Pop into your pharmacist and have a chat in the first instance. She/he might be able to reassure you on what's happening. If not, go ahead and talk to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    I've had the implanon for 4 years nearly now. For most of those four years my periods have been substantially heavier than normal (although they were heavier than normal naturally too now they're worse). I was able to deal with that because they lasted around 9 days like pre-implanon I just had to be more vigilant with changing pads etc.

However since I got my second implanon in a year ago I've have not gone a month without getting a second period. It's gotten to the stage where I have a period for more of the month than not. My periods also have become major heavy and within a half an hour to an hour I could have soaked through what I was wearing (though this rarely happens it's still annoying). I went to the doctor about it and they just said it happens with some people and they gave me a prescription of progesterone tablets to take straight for 6 months to hopefully re regulate my cycle. I was told that for this 6 months I wouldn't bleed and if I did it would be a mini period at most. Unfortunately only a week into taking the pill I have my super heavy period again.

Has anyone had any problems like this? I'm so frustrated and tired all the time and it's starting to put a strain on my relationship, as you can imagine bleeding nearly non stop makes amorous activities near impossible.

Thanks

So I went back to the doctor again after being on the progesterone only pill for 6 weeks or so. I told her my problem that I had been bleeding pretty much since a week after starting the pill etc. The doctor understood my problem but once again I got the whole 'it's a common side effect of the implanon, 40% of users suffer from it' yet when I asked her about removal cost for the implanon no one there knew was it was. I have a lot of patience for this problem but I imagine others would be a lot quicker to deal with it and get the implanon removed and move onto something else so surely they'd know the price if it.

I know it can't be this common, I mean I'm sure that some people don't get periods and some others do but to bleed almost non-stop for 6 weeks can't be a common side effect.

Anyway she suggested I try the combi pill for another month or two but I told her no way I was not going through another 6 weeks of possible bleeding. So she prescribed me primolut which is given to people who don't want to get their period for whatever reason. I have to take 3 pills for 5 days so I'm praying it works!

Has anyone else taken this? She said if it didn't work I'd have to have the implanon removed. I asked her the coil but she was reluctant for me to get it.

At this stage I would suggest going to a different dr for a second opinion.

Morag wrote: »
    At this stage I would suggest going to a different dr for a second opinion.

Funny thing is it was a different doctor, it was in the same practice and she was working under my usual doctor (if that makes sense).

Then I would suggest a different practice all together.

Morag wrote: »
    Then I would suggest a different practice all together.

Thanks for the advice :). I was starting to think that's what I needed to do but I was afraid my problem wasn't as bad as I seemed to think it was, given the doctors reaction.

LF to me it reads like your issues just aren't being given as much consideration as they need. There is surely a satisfactory solution to this.

New doc, I reckon - in a different practice, as suggested.

Edited to add: did she explain her reluctance re: the coil? My best friend has just had one inserted. Late 20s, no kids. She's actually a doctor herself and thinks the Mirena is God's gift to womankind.

• Advertisement

LF to me it reads like your issues just aren't being given as much consideration as they need. There is surely a satisfactory solution to this.

New doc, I reckon - in a different practice, as suggested.

Edited to add: did she explain her reluctance re: the coil? My best friend has just had one inserted. Late 20s, no kids. She's actually a doctor herself and thinks the Mirena is God's gift to womankind.

That's how I feel and I've tried to stress how much of an inconvenience this is and that it can't be good for my health long term but it doesn't seem to matter.

I will definitely try a new doctor.

And she just said it would be an absolute last resort for someone who hasn't had kids yet. She was keen for me to try as many things as possible first to keep me on the implanon.

I asked her, since I've always had very heavy periods, was my problem related to an abnormal thickening of the uterine wall that was being aggravated by the extra hormones. However she said it was unlikely since I've had this problem so long it's just that's it's gotten worse recently. But I'd imagine it would be more likely if it was a long term thing I was suffering from.

Advertisement