Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    That's how I feel and I've tried to stress how much of an inconvenience this is and that it can't be good for my health long term but it doesn't seem to matter.

I will definitely try a new doctor.

And she just said it would be an absolute last resort for someone who hasn't had kids yet. She was keen for me to try as many things as possible first to keep me on the implanon.

I asked her, since I've always had very heavy periods, was my problem related to an abnormal thickening of the uterine wall that was being aggravated by the extra hormones. However she said it was unlikely since I've had this problem so long it's just that's it's gotten worse recently. But I'd imagine it would be more likely if it was a long term thing I was suffering from.

This is the bit I find difficult to understand. There seems to be a really ingrained reluctance to even discuss the Mirena with women who haven't had kids among a lot of doctors but like I said, my best friend is a doctor, is using a Mirena herself and is firmly of the opinion that this 'last resort' business is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

This is the bit I find difficult to understand. There seems to be a really ingrained reluctance to even discuss the Mirena with women who haven't had kids among a lot of doctors but like I said, my best friend is a doctor, is using a Mirena herself and is firmly of the opinion that this 'last resort' business is nonsense.

I agree. She kept saying if I got the implant out I would be out of options with birth control. When I told her I was happy to get the coil I could see just by looking at her that there was no way she would approve it. She said it was too permanent a choice and what if I decided I wanted to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I agree. She kept saying if I got the implant out I would be out of options with birth control. When I told her I was happy to get the coil I could see just by looking at her that there was no way she would approve it. She said it was too permanent a choice and what if I decided I wanted to have kids.

FFS, I had a sneaky feeling this might be it. It's not her job to make those decisions for you. Definitely new doctor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

FFS, I had a sneaky feeling this might be it. It's not her job to make those decisions for you. Definitely new doctor!!!

I can understand where she's coming from, I am quite young. However I told her that if this new pill she gave me doesn't work then I would be getting the implant out and I would be considering the injection or the coil. If that means going to a new doctor to get what I need then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Rant ahoy. Waiting for my follow up scan in September to see if cysts have gone/increased/whatevers. Had diabolical cramps and light period two weekends ago, and then cramps and bleeding again today. Not cool. I know my GP is gonna tell me to come off my Noriday (pro only pill) but I had it for years with no problems. Gah. NOt a happy bunnylady :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I find this bizarre! It's only upto 2 years longer than the implant and you can still have it removed at any stage if you decide to start trying far a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Lola92 wrote: »
    I find this bizarre! It's only upto 2 years longer than the implant and you can still have it removed at any stage if you decide to start trying far a baby.

I agree this is so strange. Im planning on keeping mine for 3 years at least but its great to know it can be removed if baby plans were to change. That was a selling point for me as opposed to trying another pill etc. Does your doc also have a prob with women getting an IUD in between pregnancies? Same logic applies really

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Any advice for someone who seems to be super-susceptible to adverse moods when on the pill? But is also sick of heavy periods and all the other associated problems that go with them?
    /frustrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Any advice for someone who seems to be super-susceptible to adverse moods when on the pill? But is also sick of heavy periods and all the other associated problems that go with them?
    /frustrated

Have you tried many pills? There are so many out there it can take a while to find the right one.

I wouldn't advise Nuvaring, my OH shudders if he sees the logo anywhere (it used to be behind the reception on Scrubs and he gave up watching it!) as I really was the b*tch troll from hell with that.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Have you tried many pills? There are so many out there it can take a while to find the right one.

I wouldn't advise Nuvaring, my OH shudders if he sees the logo anywhere (it used to be behind the reception on Scrubs and he gave up watching it!) as I really was the b*tch troll from hell with that.

Was on Dianette for 5 years first. Sorted my crappy skin and heavy periods but I was depressed as hell towards the end on it.

Took Ovranette on and off for the past 6 years, didn't feel as desperately awful on it but when I was off it I felt like wonderwoman by comparison. I could cope with anything. Was off it for over a year, but for the last 7 months my periods have been hellish so I decided to go back on it. I'm kicking myself really because I went to a locum doc, plonked myself down and demanded a script. Had my b/p done, took the script and waltzed out the door quick as you like. I know the doc and knew there was no point in trying to discuss my options with him. I should have been more organised and tried to get an appointment with my own GP :o

Ive just finished the first packet of that prescription. I'm working night shifts at the moment and have a few things on my mind but nothing I couldn't deal with normally (ie when not on the pill) but I feel cranky and just generally not myself. My sister even remarked that I was so negative all day yesterday which is out of character for me and I'm sure my housemates have noticed I'm not myself too.

I'm sick of being drained by periods every month but I don't want to be snappy and cross all the time either.

• Advertisement

I'm on a really old pill, Mercilon. It's the first one I was ever on (was on a few in between) but went back on this one as it really suits me. No mood swings, no weight gain, light and predictable periods. Doctors don't seem to prescribe it very often and I rarely can get six months' supply in the chemist at once as they don't keep a large stock.

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'm on a really old pill, Mercilon. It's the first one I was ever on (was on a few in between) but went back on this one as it really suits me. No mood swings, no weight gain, light and predictable periods. Doctors don't seem to prescribe it very often and I rarely can get six months' supply in the chemist at once as they don't keep a large stock.

Interesting, never really heard of that one. Most people talk about Yasmin and the likes. Thanks for sharing :)

Interesting, never really heard of that one. Most people talk about Yasmin and the likes. Thanks for sharing :)

There was a scare about the old pills in the mid/late 90s and everyone got switched off. According to my GP it was a scare that the drugs companies promoted to get people off the cheaper older pills. I was put on microgynon first but I started having two periods a month on that, then Yasmin (bye bye libido), then Nuvaring then back to Mercilon. It's a simple pill, and it's cheap (about €7 a month). It's sister pill Marvelon has more hormones, a locum once prescribed that by accident and that was horrible. Mercilon for me from now on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

/frustrated

Mirena coil - going on 4 years and it's been brilliant.

YumCha wrote: »
    Mirena coil - going on 4 years and it's been brilliant.

I've thought about that too but doesn't it contain hormones too?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

As far as I know, it contains less than the pill. You could try the copper coil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

If you read back through the thread, non-hormonal options for contraception are pretty thin on the ground, and the copper coil has been associated with very heavy periods.

I've posted about this a few times already, but prior to the Mirena I'd unsuccessfully tried at least 8 different types of pills, the Nuvaring, and Implanon.

Yes, the Mirena does have hormones, but the dose is low, and I've personally found it to be a godsend, considering that I have to take hormonal contraception of some form because I have endometriosis and extremely heavy periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Does the Depo Provera affect your blood pressure at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The IUS uses levonorgestrel rather then what is used in the mini or combined pill. So it's possible that women who can't take the pill/patch/nuvaring maybe able to use the Mirena.

The Mirena due to were it is placed is about 1/5 of a dose of hormones compared to the pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ladies, does anyone know if the free Cervical Check specifically tests for HPV, or is it cytology only (i.e. visually inspecting the cells for physical changes)?

Or does it depend on the lab your sample is sent to?

Had a look on the CC website, but it doesn't say a whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Far as I know they don't test for it, it's assumed that if you have ever been sexually active you have at least one of the strains of HPV, so it's a visual inspection of the cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alannamc

Hi, I am 17 years old and sexually active, hence wanting to go on the pill. I am also on a medical card, although I think it is on my mothers card that I'm covered, I'm not too sure.
    I am not very close with any parent or adult so I would rather I did this myself without them knowing.
    I have a few questions though:
    Can I go to my family GP without a parent?
    Can I get the pill without a parents permission?
    Will it cost to make an appointment?
    How do I go about making an appointment? (I've never really been to the doctor)
    How much will the pill cost under the medical card?
    Will I have to make an appointment every month to get a new prescription to get another set of pills?

Any Help is much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Cookies.

Hi there,

I've recently went to my doctor to get a birth control pill.

Im 29, average weight, no health issues past or present, never been pregnant, non smoker, and absolutely no family history of illnesses. My doctor prescribed me a progestogen only pill rather than a combined pill. I'm just curious as to why he may have done this.

I was on a combined pill 2 years ago which I was very happy with. I was assuming id be on the same one. I just find that the POP is very strict in that it has to be taken more or less at the same time every day and is supposedly less effective than the combined pill.

I'm just wondering if anyone can shed any light as to why I would have been give the POP this time instead.

PS. I'm not expecting medical expertise as such, just curious!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Did you not ask the doctor?

No, sure if I did I wouldn't be asking here....
    I didn't know what the difference was to be honest until I collected the pills and researched about it. Perhaps it doesn't matter whether I was prescribed POP or Combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Did you have bad mood swings on the combination pill? Sometimes they prescribe the mini pill for people who have difficulty managing their hormones on combination pills.

I'd ask your doctor tbh - maybe there was a specific reason in your case.

No I had no mood swings at all, I was very happy with the other pill. He took my blood pressure and said all was ok. Really what I wanted to establish was whether it made any difference which pill I was on. But it seems like people my age are only given POP's if there are risks with the combined pill. Thanks for your reply, i'll go back and find out if there was a specific reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I got pop because I was breastfeeding. I wanted to switch to combined when I stoped but the doctor advised me Cerazette instead. I'm not so sure it actually suits me but it does have 12h timeframe.

Yeah its the larger time frame i'm looking for. I'm not sure what the reason for prescribing it to me was, i'll report back here when I find out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

alannamc wrote: »
    Can I go to my family GP without a parent? YES
    Can I get the pill without a parents permission? YES
    Will it cost to make an appointment? IF YOU HAVE A MEDICAL CARD, IT SHOULD BE FREE, BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR PILL. OTHERWISE IT COULD BE BETWEEN €40-€60 FOR A DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT
    How do I go about making an appointment? (I've never really been to the doctor) CALL THE SURGERY AND ASK TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. WHEN YOU GET THERE, YOU CAN EXPLAIN WHAT YOU WANT.
    How much will the pill cost under the medical card? DEPENDS ON WHAT PILL YOU GET. MINE COSTS 11.50 PER MONTH
    Will I have to make an appointment every month to get a new prescription to get another set of pills? YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE CHECKED EVERY 6 MONTHS BUT THE NURSE CAN DO THIS FOR YOU SO IT IS CHEAPER. IF IT IS WITHIN THE 6 MONTHS, I JUST CALL UP AND TELL THE SECRETARY I WANT A PRESCRIPTION AND SHE CHARGES 10EURO ADMINISTRATION FOR IT.

I hope this is of help to you.

Advertisement